HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread (pt2)

Old
07-01-2012, 06:10 AM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
I know that this will not be a popular suggestion, but IMO we should sit back and be patient through the opening hours of free agency then, after the opening feeding frenzy, we should go bargain hunting as well as explore trades with disappointed shoppers.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:07 PM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

I wonder if we'll have a captain this year... if you would have asked me last season, I would have said Weiss. I love Weiss, but I don't know if he's captain material. Honestly, I think Campbell gets it.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:38 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
I wonder if we'll have a captain this year... if you would have asked me last season, I would have said Weiss. I love Weiss, but I don't know if he's captain material. Honestly, I think Campbell gets it.
Scooberdeau gets it.

I could see Guds being a captain in the near future if you ask me, but Campbell is probably the front-runner this year.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Weiss, fo sho... Give him a reason to sign an extension. If he doesn't get it, I can see him leaving.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
Weiss, fo sho... Give him a reason to sign an extension. If he doesn't get it, I can see him leaving.
I don't see his not gettin the C as a reason for him to roll out. And I don't think he's a good fit for captain, either.

07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
What was the deadline for Kulikov to resign or become RFA?

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

I definitely think we should get a captain this year, it doesn't really make sense not to have one. Last year I could understand it as we had a whole load of new players as well as a new coach and everyone was settling in. But this year is a different situation and therefore I think someone should definitely be named captain.

Last year I would have said it should be Weiss, mainly because he has been a career Panther and the other options were new to the team. However, this year I would vote for Campbell. Not just for the way he played last year but also all the other stuff I read and heard about him, such as him always being the first one in etc.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post
I definitely think we should get a captain this year, it doesn't really make sense not to have one. Last year I could understand it as we had a whole load of new players as well as a new coach and everyone was settling in. But this year is a different situation and therefore I think someone should definitely be named captain.

Last year I would have said it should be Weiss, mainly because he has been a career Panther and the other options were new to the team. However, this year I would vote for Campbell. Not just for the way he played last year but also all the other stuff I read and heard about him, such as him always being the first one in etc.
I agree on Campbell. The guy is 100% professional and an outstanding athlete. Obviously believes in what we are doing down here as he committed to coming here when he wasn't obligated to. Not to mention this guy is a massive part of the team and vital to our success.

I would be very thrilled with him being named captain.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post

I agree that we need to appoint a capt. This is especially true with the potential for some young guys to start cracking the roster. They need to play and learn from a leader/leaders.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:12 AM
CatscratchFever
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Sorry to disappoint all the Weiss supporters, it isn't and won't be, him. This past year, there were numerous player interviews that alluded to the fact that Jovo was the de-facto captain of this team. I wouldn't mind Campbell being named that guy this season but there is just something about that Gudbranson. He's the kind of guy I want to captain my favorite hockey club.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Dr Beinfest

Jovo should be no less and no more than the assistant captain. Gudbranson is way too young, and until he's no longer prone to his youthful mistakes, I don't see why he should be captain either, let alone wear an A. It's Brian Campbell or Stephen Weiss, in my eyes. And in all honesty, I think if Weiss wanted the captaincy he could've had it by now. Campbell, being the Tallon boy, the all-star, the champ, etc... It's Campbell or nobody, in my eyes.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
Jovo should be no less and no more than the assistant captain. Gudbranson is way too young, and until he's no longer prone to his youthful mistakes, I don't see why he should be captain either, let alone wear an A. It's Brian Campbell or Stephen Weiss, in my eyes. And in all honesty, I think if Weiss wanted the captaincy he could've had it by now. Campbell, being the Tallon boy, the all-star, the champ, etc... It's Campbell or nobody, in my eyes.
Agreed that Guds is too young now. Disagree with you that it's automatically campbell though. Tallon would prob make him captain, but it's Dineens choice isnt it? Weiss is definitely captain material, just not the kind most people are used to. He's humble as hell and calm, but deep down very passionate and loyal. I could see it being either one of Weiss Campbell or Jovo, with the other 2 as alternates.

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Dr Beinfest

my understanding from last season was that it was the players' choice, as Dineen told them to sort it out. It's neither Tallon's nor Dineen's choice at that point. I think we all agree that potential captains are Weiss, Campbell, and Jovo. I think Jovo is just a very poor choice, and that Weiss just doesn't want to be captain. Those are two opinions based upon speculation and observation. I am not saying I'm necessarily right, it's just what I've come to believe at this point.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Tuco

When did we last have a real captain? Do we even need one at the moment? Don't think so, at least not until someone special emerges.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Dineen Youngblood

Let's sign Mike Modano

Dineen Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

I believe we will have someone wearing the C this year and I believe it will be the players who select the guy to wear it. I still think it will be Weiss, but whomever it is will be ok by me.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
When did we last have a real captain? Do we even need one at the moment? Don't think so, at least not until someone special emerges.
Bryan McCabe, if I recall correctly.

There's no urgency to have a captain, and I think it's kinda played out a bit these days. I am a fan of the multiple As. Multiple character players can be better for a team. Hard to really say that for sure though unless you're in the locker room yourself.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:32 PM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitter
Erik Gudbranson @Guddy44

Dear hockey season...please start ‪#goingnuts‬
I echo Guddy's sentiments.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
I echo Guddy's sentiments.
I am excited for hockey season in general...I am not excited for the panthers this season. I the way we look now and the way the other teams look around us I see regression next season.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I am excited for hockey season in general...I am not excited for the panthers this season. I the way we look now and the way the other teams look around us I see regression next season.
I think you're shortsighted

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:07 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I think you're shortsighted
We still have another 2 months where anything can happen but as of today our roster doesn't give me the warm fuzzies of a playoff team.

Again I bring up the fact that past December 2011, We treaded water as a .500 hockey club. We only had 2 months of sustained good hockey in October and November of last year.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
We still have another 2 months where anything can happen but as of today our roster doesn't give me the warm fuzzies of a playoff team.

Again I bring up the fact that past December 2011, We treaded water as a .500 hockey club. We only had 2 months of sustained good hockey in October and November of last year.
You can't discount the injuries we had last season. Weiss and his problems, Versteeg played injured for what seemed like half the season. Goc was out for extended periods of time. Kulikov was injured at one point.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:45 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
You can't discount the injuries we had last season. Weiss and his problems, Versteeg played injured for what seemed like half the season. Goc was out for extended periods of time. Kulikov was injured at one point.
Im cautiously optimistic. I dont think our same pair of goaltending will hold up s well again. The Versteeg line wll not surpise anyone. Our PP wil have prove itself.

Lots have to go right.

That said, i cant wait to see Hubredeau. and gudanson with a year under his belt. And im a fan, so i always believe!!!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:56 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
every year is like that though in the nhl. Throughout a season at any given point in time there will be injuries.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:29 AM
pantherbot

Quote:
every year is like that though in the nhl. Throughout a season at any given point in time there will be injuries.
we were in the top-10 of man games lost...that does make a difference.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote