HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NBA Off-Season Thread: There's a new team in town

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Abooch68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Who is firing him?
The only person who can fire Dolan is Satan..

Old
07-18-2012, 08:35 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Go back to twitter. The Rangers got plenty of coverage during their run.
he's referencing when Lin first came onto the scene and caused the knicks to win 7 straight and turn them into an 8th place team when the rangers had been in first place for 2 months already.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:39 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
and i'm not going to act like i know about the NBA salary cap, but here's a question for you basketball guys and the one's who think this wasn't a financial decision.

whatever the luxury tax threshold is in 2014-2015 the knicks would have been over it and paid penalties of about 35 million + lins contract of 15 million. they would have only had 6 players under contract for that season. barring any other moves, they still would have had to fill out their bench and cause themselves to get hit with an even greater luxury tax penalty, am i correct?

Old
07-18-2012, 08:45 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Who is firing him?
It was a joke.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Linsanity was fun while it lasted. The Knicks were in a very tough situation though, shame they have to miss out.

Hope the kid does well with Houston. He left NY with nothing but class. What a great individual!

https://www.facebook.com/jeremylin17...05343826260852
Quote:
Extremely excited and honored to be a Houston Rocket again!! Much love and thankfulness to the Knicks and New York for your support this past year...easily the best year of my life. Im forever grateful!

Old
07-18-2012, 11:03 AM
ocarina

The Knicks just don't seem to have any sort of direction. I mean, after all of the players they have overpaid over the years, Lin, the biggest gift from nowhere they have ever gotten, is the player they take a stand on? Really? REALLY?

It's not like he was completely ineffective after Linsanity calmed down, he was still a very productive player, so I'm not sure I buy that whole "he's not that good" argument.

What makes me even more sick to my stomach is that from what I'm reading, they didn't even try to negotiate with him. They actually encouraged him to talk to other teams and somehow thought that he wasn't going to get a huge offersheet.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:19 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
The Knicks just don't seem to have any sort of direction. I mean, after all of the players they have overpaid over the years, Lin, the biggest gift from nowhere they have ever gotten, is the player they take a stand on? Really? REALLY?

It's not like he was completely ineffective after Linsanity calmed down, he was still a very productive player, so I'm not sure I buy that whole "he's not that good" argument.
It's two steps forward and one HUGE step back...

The people keep saying Lin isn't that good are in denial. I think what it is, is that they just can't fathom someone who is suppose to be so good, being overlooked...released twice, playing in D league, un-drafted....
They don't understand why so many scouts missed. It's impossible that, THAT many scouts got it wrong. So he must be garbage.

The great Larry Brown who's been coaching his whole life, so he must know what he's talking about, said he was a backup. So it must be true.

I wonder what all these doubters will be saying if Lin turns out to be a good PG?

Old
07-18-2012, 12:40 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Except you're wrong. Lin is good, but blatantly not as good as some think he is. We're in denial? Go watch the game where Miami locked him down. He's going to have to deal with stuff like that a lot more often now that he's the only good player on his team. I will be utterly shocked if he puts up anything better than "good" numbers.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Well what he does now will be irrelevant because the Rockets are going to be a terrible team barring a major roster reconstruction. I'm surprised they haven't traded Martin at this point. They'll be one of the worst teams in the league with the roster they currently have.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
It's two steps forward and one HUGE step back...

The people keep saying Lin isn't that good are in denial. I think what it is, is that they just can't fathom someone who is suppose to be so good, being overlooked...released twice, playing in D league, un-drafted....
They don't understand why so many scouts missed. It's impossible that, THAT many scouts got it wrong. So he must be garbage.

The great Larry Brown who's been coaching his whole life, so he must know what he's talking about, said he was a backup. So it must be true.

I wonder what all these doubters will be saying if Lin turns out to be a good PG?
So what is wrong with people being skeptical of Lin's future because of those facts? He has played significant minutes for less than 1/3 of an NBA season so far in his career. Based on the fact that his success, while tremoundous, has been short lived- and that scouts and other teams didn't regard him as a future great player coming out of college- I think it is reasonable to think he could be a flash in the pan.

People who don't want Lin could be in denial, but people who think that Lin is going to be a superstar based on 25 games and lead the Knicks to an NBA title are also stretching it too far (not saying you're one of those people but I have heard people react that way).

Old
07-18-2012, 02:13 PM
LordsCup*

Just glad hes gone. Nice feel good story for a month but they over did it so much that it became sickining.

Rangers derserve to be the #1, not a heartless lazy team.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:48 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Except you're wrong. Lin is good, but blatantly not as good as some think he is. We're in denial? Go watch the game where Miami locked him down. He's going to have to deal with stuff like that a lot more often now that he's the only good player on his team. I will be utterly shocked if he puts up anything better than "good" numbers.
So one game where he struggles is enough to say he isn't good enough? Not to mention, he has room to grow his game, he's not a finished product.

And he is certainly better then Felton and Kidd.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

It's not so much of being "skeptical" about him. That's fine. It's people acting as if he's garbage. A complete scrub.

What he did NEVER happens in the NBA. People are treating it as if it was a daily occurrence. So no big deal.
He obviously has skills but he also has flaws. So do most prospects. If he was drafted, I don't think people are calling him a fluke.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:53 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
So one game where he struggles is enough to say he isn't good enough? Not to mention, he has room to grow his game, he's not a finished product.

And he is certainly better then Felton and Kidd.
I'm just using that as an example, since he started "declining" or "regressing" or not playing like this crazy overnight superstar or whatever you wanna call it for a while before he got injured, but it's the prime example of what he's going to be dealing with.

He's a good PG and i'm upset he's not on the team anymore. But to act like he's a superstar is wrong. There's Knicks fans all over the internet acting like drama queens. It's insane.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Well what he does now will be irrelevant because the Rockets are going to be a terrible team barring a major roster reconstruction. I'm surprised they haven't traded Martin at this point. They'll be one of the worst teams in the league with the roster they currently have.

That's one of the answers I expected.

I also expect to hear 'he wouldn't have done that in NY because of Anthony'....

Old
07-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
It's not so much of being "skeptical" about him. That's fine. It's people acting as if he's garbage. A complete scrub.

What he did NEVER happens in the NBA. People are treating it as if it was a daily occurrence. So no big deal.
He obviously has skills but he also has flaws. So do most prospects. If he was drafted, I don't think people are calling him a fluke.
Agreed. I myself would probably have wanted to keep him more if he were a first round pick.

Old
07-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Kershaw

We need to see the Yao and Lin show boys.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Zil

This current Knicks roster should be good for 45-50ish wins, but lacks any real potential to become a contender. Jeremy Lin would not make them one. Lin, while he had his moments, got exposed against the Heat and other big time guards. The bottom line is that Jeremy Lin is not a superstar and people are vastly overrating him. Carmelo sucks too, but that's a different matter.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:23 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Knicks sign Ronnie Brewer from the Bulls. Excellent pick-up. Can defend but so-so on offense. He is as good a lock-down guy as Shumpert.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Brewer's a good signing. Good guy for a position we're weak at.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:34 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Knicks on paper are better than last year. Getting Shumpert back around December means he should be in mid-season form around April.

What I like is that this is Woodson's team. Lots of hustlers and grinders with a good mix of skill and experience.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I think that Prigoni will have a bigger impact this year then most people are giving credit. I saw some of the Us vs Argentina and he looked pretty solid. He is a good passer.

07-24-2012, 04:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I really like Pablo but I don't think he'll make a BIG impact. He'll be a good backup PG, though, which is something we severely lacked last year.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Mkhizgilov

Howard, gasol, jamison, kobe, nash...holy ****..

Old
08-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkhizgilov View Post
Howard, gasol, jamison, kobe, nash...holy ****..
I'm making a bold prediction and I'll say that the Lakers and Heat will meet in the finals.