HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Old
07-17-2012, 12:17 PM
The Beyonder

vCash: 500
I'm sure if this movie is great then Nolan will get all the credit for the film from the fanboys and if it does bad then Snyder will receive all the blame for the film from the fanboys. Poor Snyder.

The Beyonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:27 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I'm wondering what the average age is of the people here who don't care for Superman.

I liked him as a kid....the first two films were huge. I saw "Returns" and didn't like how it basically went back to the same Luthor plot from the first film.

I'm 36, but I'm guessing there was a point when Superman became too boring for some generation. I'd really like to see a film where Superman is still the Boy Scout, but everyone else is cynical about him and his motives.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:35 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I'm wondering what the average age is of the people here who don't care for Superman.

I liked him as a kid....the first two films were huge. I saw "Returns" and didn't like how it basically went back to the same Luthor plot from the first film.

I'm 36, but I'm guessing there was a point when Superman became too boring for some generation. I'd really like to see a film where Superman is still the Boy Scout, but everyone else is cynical about him and his motives.
If they start using compelling villians and stories than it'll never be boring. Lex Luthor is compelling but having him as the main villain in almost every movie becomes redundant. If they have a trilogy with General Zod, Darkseid, and maybe Doomsday I don't think it would bore people.

And I don't know why some people just don't appreciate heroes being heroes these days. I think it's mainly because of the dark knight, not every character is a dark or an anti-hero character. I think the avengers proved that you can have heroes be just heroes and still have a great movie that people will want to watch. I don't want Superman to become dark and broody, and I know that in the hands of Snyder and Nolan, he won't; it's just not Superman.

The Beyonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Anyone have a Link for the new Trailer? It seems to have been removed everywhere I look.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:55 PM
FakeKidPoker*

I'm just about done my year long watchthrough of Smallville.

But this movie is going to fail without John Williams theme.

This Zimmer guy kind of sucks

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:03 PM
chasespace

The best Superman movie, IMO, is Superman vs The Elite.

Seeing the boy scout turn into a killer(not really but it's a plot point) was jarring. Other than that one movie I've never really liked Superman.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Richie10

After the way Snyder handled Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen, I'm very confident he can create a compelling and interesting Superman. We live in a culture that embraces the anti-hero, an almost fascist portrayal of an individual that doesn't seem to care about the rules and consistently breaks them to adhere to his/her own set of morals. It's why characters like Batman and Iron Man are so unbelievably popular at the moment - everyone is a cynic right now.

However, an even more powerful message for a cynical society is that of detachment and despondence from an increasingly chaotic world, something Superman conveys perfectly. There is a reason Superman is consistently ranked as the greatest superhero ever conceived. The point is not that he is all powerful or altruistic; the point is that he can still be emotionally compromised and must consistently find reasons to save a society that seems hell bent on destroying itself. THAT is the message of Superman, and it still resonates with everyone if only communicated properly.

Superman has yet to be portrayed in film as he was in certain graphic novels like The Dark Knight Returns, for example. Frank Miller's Superman was amazing. He was cold, distant, jaded, detached from the world, filled with self doubt. This was diametrically opposed to Miller's 55 year old Batman, who was simply calloused and driven entirely by rage at what the world had become.

If Snyder portrays a conflicted Superman anything like Miller's in The Dark Knight Returns, we'll be in for a treat.

Richie10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
After the way Snyder handled Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen, I'm very confident he can create a compelling and interesting Superman. We live in a culture that embraces the anti-hero, an almost fascist portrayal of an individual that doesn't seem to care about the rules and consistently breaks them to adhere to his/her own set of morals. It's why characters like Batman and Iron Man are so unbelievably popular at the moment - everyone is a cynic right now.

However, an even more powerful message for a cynical society is that of detachment and despondence from an increasingly chaotic world, something Superman conveys perfectly. There is a reason Superman is consistently ranked as the greatest superhero ever conceived. The point is not that he is all powerful or altruistic; the point is that he can still be emotionally compromised and must consistently find reasons to save a society that seems hell bent on destroying itself. THAT is the message of Superman, and it still resonates with everyone if only communicated properly.

Superman has yet to be portrayed in film as he was in certain graphic novels like The Dark Knight Returns, for example. Frank Miller's Superman was amazing. He was cold, distant, jaded, detached from the world, filled with self doubt. This was diametrically opposed to Miller's 55 year old Batman, who was simply calloused and driven entirely by rage at what the world had become.

If Snyder portrays a conflicted Superman anything like Miller's in The Dark Knight Returns, we'll be in for a treat.
Good thoughts. The vibe I'm getting from Man of Steel is the "outsider" role for Superman is going to be expanded upon a bit. I'm not sure Superman needs to be "edgy" (like Batman is), but it would be interesting if he's a bit more conflicted on his role on earth and is if not resentful, a bit wary of public perception.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:32 PM
BlackStar

Bad quality of the teaser trailer! Hurry up and watch it before it's removed.

SupermanHomepage's Description of the trailer:

Quote:
It opens with a wheat field on a farm.
We then see a toy wagon flipped over in the grass.

A butterfly on the chain of a swing, it flutters its wings.

Cut to a shot of a man, walking alone on a snow-covered road. We see him from the back, walking towards the hills.

We see a young boy, running through a field of grass from the farm we saw earlier. He wears a red cape, tucked into the back of his white T-shirt.

Cut to a scene with a bearded Clark Kent sitting on the steps of a house on a cloudy day. A dog runs up to him, and he scratches the back of its head.

We are then back at the farm. We see the boy with the cape, we don't see his head. What we see is his torso, with his two fists firmly planted on his waist, in a signature pose that we are ALL very familiar with.

In the background, we hear what sounds like a combination of Jor-El and Johnathan Kent: "What if a child dreams of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater?"

The scene changes to Clark being brought to a barn. A dusty sheet is pulled to reveal an intergalactic vessel that had been hidden there for years.

Clark holds a metal "S" shield, in the new design from the movie, in his hand.

Next we go to a completely different setting. We are no longer in a farm, but in a city.

We hear a woman's voice in the background: "My son was in the bus." It cuts to a teenage Clark, saving children from a school bus that had fallen off a bridge and crashed in the water. Clark is swimming to the bus, and he rips the door off. "He saw what Clark did."

Jonathan Kent's voice is then heard saying: "People are afraid of what they don't understand."

Jor-El is now seen standing before Clark. "It's not from this world Clark." Jor-El pulls opens his cloak to reveal the Superman suit's "S" Shield. "Take you're freedom. It's my conscience. Where I come from."

We now see Superman in his suit, long red cape flapping in the wind behind him. The first shot of him in the suit is from a distance, the second shows him walking across a snowy plain.

We hear Jonathan Kent's voice: "You have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be Clark. Whoever that man is, he's going to change the world."

When then see a series of brief glimpses:

We see a glimpse of Superman flying.

A glimpse of him catching someone falling off a building.

A quick glimpse of Amy Adams as Lois Lane.

A glimpse of Superman being led down a hallway by police, with his hands behind his back, while in his Superman suit.

We catch a glimpse of Clark inside an elevator. The doors are closing, and right before we can no longer see his face, he removes his glasses from his face.

He hear Clark's voice: "My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready." We see Lois approaching Superman as if they are about to kiss. "What do you think?"

There's a glimpse of a shirtless Clark, with his whole body on fire.

And finally, we see Superman being thrown into a giant bank vault. The same vault from his first promotional image. It looks like he's been thrown.

It finishes with a giant "S" shield, rotating on an axis, until you see the new "S" shield in all its glory. Followed by: "SUMMER 2013".

Last edited by BlackStar: 07-17-2012 at 05:55 PM.
BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:38 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post

Seeing the boy scout turn into a killer(not really but it's a plot point) was jarring. Other than that one movie I've never really liked Superman.
That film was utterly brilliant.

Last edited by BlackStar: 07-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old
07-17-2012, 05:43 PM
BlackStar

Quote:

Judging by the teaser and what Cavill, Nolan and Snyder have said about the character/film, I think we are in for a treat indeed.

People really underestimate the popularity of Superman. We forget that with all it's failures, Superman Returns still managed to perform better than Batman Begins (BB had the better critical response though).

Also, one thing I love about this film is that Superman will not be easily accepted by the world. Which is OF COURSE the realistic/right approach. In the trailer, Superman is handcuffed by the army, I love that (obviously, Superman is doing it to prove to the world that he is on their side).

Last edited by BlackStar: 07-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old
07-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Richie10

Also, in direct comparison to Superman Returns, Man of Steel is in infinitely more capable hands. Bryan Singer is a mediocre director who caught lightning in a bottle with The Usual Suspects (mostly due to an incredible cast) and has ridden the success ever since.

Snyder has adapted and evolved as a director almost exponentially in every film he puts out and deserves full marks for making a very respectable adaptation of Watchmen, something that was deemed virtually unfilmable at one point. In the equally capable hands of Goyer and Nolans as writers/producers, I have no doubt Man of Steel will meet expectations.

And, for what it's worth, Frank Miller has said that Snyder is the only director he'd consider making a worthy adaptation for The Dark Knight Returns.

Richie10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:

Very well said, Richie. I was having a conversation the other day about these types of movies with my friend. He wasn't crazy about The Dark Knight because he felt it was too cold. And I thought that was as it should be. No one should ever really want to be Batman. It's a terrible existence.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:38 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Anything Nolan touches is usually good. Man of Steel should be very good.

I can't wait until he gets his hands on the Bond franchise. He's been rumoured to be a big fan of the Bond movies and has said he would like to direct one given the chance. And given how EON is actually open to hiring "big-name" directors for their Bond movies now, there's a good chance this could actually happen.
Yes. YES! Been praying for this, for a very long time.

Nolan as Director. Hardy as Bond.

That would be awesome.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Bad quality of the teaser trailer! Hurry up and watch it before it's removed.

SupermanHomepage's Description of the trailer:
Thanks!

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
I've also never liked Superman. His costume is lame, which I guess you can chalk up to when he was created. But mostly it's the fact that there's never really any element of danger. Even when he dies he doesn't die. You always know there's absolutely no possibility he'll lose because he's a superhero smartphone. New problem? Don't worry, heretofore unknown power solves that. Kryptonite? No worries, he'll inexplicably be ok. Even trying to just read the Wikipedia page is baffling. Never mind traveling back in time by spinning the world the wrong way, whatever kind of sense that makes...at some point, some incarnation of Superman PUNCHES REALITY SO HARD THAT IT SHATTERS.

I mean with all these heroes you kind of know that they're never really in any significant danger, but Batman CAN be killed by a gun. Spiderman, though also lame, CAN be killed by a gun. Hell, they could be killed by a fall, or a severe illness, if it came to it. Superman is utterly unstoppable, and yet he still manages to get smacked around every now and then.

I won't begrudge people their superhero fandom or whatever, but those are just some of the reasons I personally don't care for Superman, which people never really seem to accept or understand. It's always just "You don't like Superman?! What's the matter with you?!"

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post

Definitely agreed. Watched it a few days back and I loved it. My only complaint is that for a dark story as such they shouldn't have made some of the scenes so cartoony, it really ruined the effects and the feel to the movie at times.

07-18-2012, 10:48 AM
BlackStar

From Bleeding Cool:

Quote:
I have been told details of one specific scene in particular, in which Superman breaks apart a building and uses the building itself as a weapon in some kind of ‘super martial art’ fashion. “Girders as throwing stars” was the specific example I was given.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/18/superman/ :

Old
07-18-2012, 11:05 AM
BlackStar

Billionaire Bot, you have every right to not be a Superman fan. However, if you are going to critisize him, know what you are talking about dude.

Quote:
But mostly it's the fact that there's never really any element of danger. Even when he dies he doesn't die.
I know what you mean, but you can do better than that. I know there are differences in weaknesses and power, but the reality is that what you said applies to EVERY single superhero.

Quote:
You always know there's absolutely no possibility he'll lose because he's a superhero smartphone. New problem? Don't worry, heretofore unknown power solves that. Kryptonite? No worries, he'll inexplicably be ok. Even trying to just read the Wikipedia page is baffling. Never mind traveling back in time by spinning the world the wrong way, whatever kind of sense that makes...
An incredibly uneducated post. That's like me saying Batman is ridiculous because sometimes he goes surfing wearing shorts over his batman costume (1960s Batman series). I hate hate that stupid scene (the spinning around the world to go back in time scene). But guess what? It's not a real Superman power. Donner foolishly gave him that power, that's the only time Superman was given that ability, even in the comics.

Quote:
Superman is utterly unstoppable, and yet he still manages to get smacked around every now and then.
Far from the truth. Darkseid, Braniac, Metallo, Doomsday, Mongul, Zod, and Bizzaro, to name a few, can most definitely beat him (some have done just that).

Batman sopmetimes fights villains he should have no business fighting. He's fought some of the most powerful villains in the DC universe and come out on top. These are super-powered mean aliens! Yet, this man in a bat costume wins the fights! I love the Batman character( I'm a DC fan after-all), but I know that's ridiculous. Yet, no one complains about that. And I understand why, it's COMICS. Ofcourse some/most of it isn't going to be realistic. Yet people continue to forget that when it comes to Superman. Weird.

Again, you are more than free to dislike Superman. But you seemingly know very little about the character dude.

Last edited by BlackStar: 07-18-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old
07-18-2012, 11:08 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:

Far from the truth. Darkseid, Braniac, Metallo, Doomsday, Mongul, Zod, and Bizzaro, to name a few, can most definitely beat him (some have done just that).

The problem is, aside from Zod, that none of those guys have made it to the mainstream movies. All we get is Lex Luthor and a super computer.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
The problem is, aside from Zod, that none of those guys have made it to the mainstream movies. All we get is Lex Luthor and a super computer.
True, that's one of the things that fustrated me most Supermam Returns. I think they were very smart to go with Zod for this film, however, I can't wait for Braniac in the sequel (he's the obvious choice).

Old
07-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Andy

I actually really enjoyed Superman Returns. Not reallyu a superman fan, but can't wait for this one!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Billionaire Bot, you have every right to not be a Superman fan. However, if you are going to critisize him, know what you are talking about dude.

I know what you mean, but you can do better than that. I know there are differences in weaknesses and power, but the reality is that what you said applies to EVERY single superhero.

An incredibly uneducated post. That's like me saying Batman is ridiculous because sometimes he goes surfing wearing shorts over his batman costume (1960s Batman series). I hate hate that stupid scene (the spinning around the world to go back in time scene). But guess what? It's not a real Superman power. Donner foolishly gave him that power, that's the only time Superman was given that ability, even in the comics.

Batman sopmetimes fights villains he should have no business fighting. He's fought some of the most powerful villains in the DC universe and come out on top. These are super-powered mean aliens! Yet, this man in a bat costume wins the fights! I love the Batman character( I'm a DC fan after-all), but I know that's ridiculous. Yet, no one complains about that. And I understand why, it's COMICS. Ofcourse some/most of it isn't going to be realistic. Yet people continue to forget that when it comes to Superman. Weird.

Again, you are more than free to dislike Superman. But you seemingly know very little about the character dude.
Well I should start off by saying I'm by no means a comic book fan. That doesn't stop me from being exposed to other media in which superheroes are portrayed. So in a way, you're right; my knowledge of Superman is limited to that which I've seen. What I've seen, I haven't liked. There's over half a century of Superman related media, which I think you'll have to agree is an incredibly daunting task for someone who doesn't like something to have to go back and research just to either say "Well I still hate this" or "Well I guess this isn't as bad as I thought." If I was to try and go back and read/watch everything Superman's been involved in, ever, there's just as good a chance I'll come away hating it even more as there is that I'll come away loving it.

Just say, for the sake of example, you tell me "I don't like Game of Thrones because _________." Then I say "Well that's actually different/explained/addressed in the books." Those books are each close to or over 1000 pages long, and that's a lot to ask of someone to read to prove them wrong, or to confirm their opinions. But it's still not even close to the amount of Superman related media.

What it boils down to is what I know of Superman, and what Superman I've been exposed to, whether or not it's canon in the comic books or whatever doesn't really matter because that's not the Superman I know, I haven't liked. So like, comic Superman never spun the world backwards, I can accept that. But the Superman I saw sure did.

I think that makes sense.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:52 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
Well I should start off by saying I'm by no means a comic book fan. That doesn't stop me from being exposed to other media in which superheroes are portrayed. So in a way, you're right; my knowledge of Superman is limited to that which I've seen. What I've seen, I haven't liked. There's over half a century of Superman related media, which I think you'll have to agree is an incredibly daunting task for someone who doesn't like something to have to go back and research just to either say "Well I still hate this" or "Well I guess this isn't as bad as I thought." If I was to try and go back and read/watch everything Superman's been involved in, ever, there's just as good a chance I'll come away hating it even more as there is that I'll come away loving it.

Just say, for the sake of example, you tell me "I don't like Game of Thrones because _________." Then I say "Well that's actually different/explained/addressed in the books." Those books are each close to or over 1000 pages long, and that's a lot to ask of someone to read to prove them wrong, or to confirm their opinions. But it's still not even close to the amount of Superman related media.

What it boils down to is what I know of Superman, and what Superman I've been exposed to, whether or not it's canon in the comic books or whatever doesn't really matter because that's not the Superman I know, I haven't liked. So like, comic Superman never spun the world backwards, I can accept that. But the Superman I saw sure did.

I think that makes sense.
Yes it does, very good response dude. Sorry if i came off too strong btw. Hopefully this film impresses us all.

Old
07-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Yes. YES! Been praying for this, for a very long time.

Nolan as Director. Hardy as Bond.

That would be awesome.
It will happen. EON has hired some pretty good filmmakers to be involved with Bond lately, from Paul Haggis to Sam Mendes to Peter Morgan, so giving creative control over to Nolan and what would presumably be his crew of writers and Hans Zimmer wouldn't be out of the question.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote