HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Capitals Re-Sign Mike Green [3 Years/$18.25 million]

Old
07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Lmao awful deal. 6+ mil for Green?

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:13 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
All you need to ask yourself is this - How much would he be paid on the open market?

MY guess - around this amount. Therefore, no big deal here. Caps keep him short-term for fair market value. The term being less than 4 years = edge to Caps.

People need to stop just wanting to piss all over a signing because they like doing it. It's old. Ask yourself what he'd get on the market and take term into consideration. I'll paraphrase one of my favorite quotes - "Some people just want to watch the world burn...."

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:11 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
All you need to ask yourself is this - How much would he be paid on the open market?

MY guess - around this amount. Therefore, no big deal here. Caps keep him short-term for fair market value. The term being less than 4 years = edge to Caps.

People need to stop just wanting to piss all over a signing because they like doing it. It's old. Ask yourself what he'd get on the market and take term into consideration. I'll paraphrase one of my favorite quotes - "Some people just want to watch the world burn...."
I think the point that RFA should mean something bears making.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Burgh32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
I think the point that RFA should mean something bears making.
As is the point that he's giving up 2 UFA years with this deal. I'd agree that 6M per may be a bit steep if not for that fact. He could've asked for a one-year deal and gone into UFA next summer where he would've been all but guaranteed that someone would drop massive $ on him, much more than $6M/yr.

And there's the other point - if the Caps didn't choose to sign him, then who were they going to get to replace him, at his caliber, for cheaper than $6M?

And last point - the cap is $70M now, not $50M-something like it used to be.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

This Green is worth 6.1

This Green is not

He is so tentative now. His stride is different (he stands straight up now) and he is a lot slower.

Honestly he hasn't been the same player since this hit.

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:39 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
As is the point that he's giving up 2 UFA years with this deal. I'd agree that 6M per may be a bit steep if not for that fact. He could've asked for a one-year deal and gone into UFA next summer where he would've been all but guaranteed that someone would drop massive $ on him, much more than $6M/yr.
If he continues the same play from the last 2 years? No, no they would not have. IF he rebounds> Sure, then the signing is great for the Caps. This one is still unknown.

roboninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:49 AM
txpd

its a gamble all the way. he had the groin injury for a while it was a tough diagnosis. it appears to be fixed.

if you go one year and hard ball at arbitration and the player performs at or near his previouis elite level, he leaves and makes bank somewhere else leaving your team with a huge hole to fill. if you go three years and he breaks down again right away, then you have the same hole and a bad contract to deal with.

since finding elite level offensive defensemen is harder than dealing with a bad contract, this decision is a pretty logical one.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
its a gamble all the way. he had the groin injury for a while it was a tough diagnosis. it appears to be fixed.

if you go one year and hard ball at arbitration and the player performs at or near his previouis elite level, he leaves and makes bank somewhere else leaving your team with a huge hole to fill. if you go three years and he breaks down again right away, then you have the same hole and a bad contract to deal with.

since finding elite level offensive defensemen is harder than dealing with a bad contract, this decision is a pretty logical one.
The only reason I would counter your gamble argument is the fact that the term is so low. I mean just look at the crazy amount of years passed out to stars in the league. 3 years isn't going to kill a team. IR and letting him go after 3 years would be the worst case scenario. That doesn't hurt the Caps at all. It just hurts the owner paying out the contract.

So I'm not sure it's as big as a gamble as people think.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:44 PM
nwpensfan

Any contract that is short, 3 yrs on down, at first look are much more valuable to current team and any potential trading partners. The cap hit is the main point everyone seems to be upset about but the fact is on the open market Green would have easily got this amount and a bigger term IMO! That makes it a good deal for the Caps any way you look at it aside from injury risk which probably explains short term (a risk which every player has potentially).

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
It's a fair deal for Green. He got what he would have on the open market.

That being said, makes the Karlsson contract look better!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
It's a fair deal for Green. He got what he would have on the open market.

That being said, makes the Karlsson contract look better!
if green had karlsson's season last season, what do you HE would have gotten in his next contract? more than karlsson.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote