HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detroit Re-Signs Kyle Quincey [2 Years/$3.775 AAV]

Old
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
zetterberg40

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
You'd rather have Downie, wouldn't you?
without even thinking twice, yes.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Cool Hand Goof*

$3.55 mil and $4mil with Det.

good signing

Cool Hand Goof* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Kloparren
Hth

If Detroit change their philosophy and give more TOI to young guys like Smith/Kindl and limit Quincey to 17-20max per game then it won't be as bad.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MBauer

eh we had no choice.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ishad

I'm fine with that.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:20 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
If Detroit change their philosophy and give more TOI to young guys like Smith/Kindl and limit Quincey to 17-20max per game then it won't be as bad.
Smith maybe, kindl yikes.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:20 PM
redwing471

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
eh we had no choice.
Pretty much my thoughts...

redwing471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
damn, I was off by $5000.
I am so disappointed by your math skills but I will let it go because you're such a good moderator.

$3,775,000
$3,750,000
$25,000

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:25 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Cue the Streit trade!

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:47 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
I am so disappointed by your math skills but I will let it go because you're such a good moderator.

$3,775,000
$3,750,000
$25,000

I could swear that said 3.755 before.

no clue why i read it like that.

07-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Cap hit may be a bit high but in complete truth, we had no choice.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:01 PM
ZetterBurger

Thats a good signing. Wings fans wanted a short <$4 million contract. Thats a great deal.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Not bad. I think it's overpayment, but relative to what other defenders have gotten this summer it's pretty fair.

I'd say I hope he fares well in Detroit, but that's really not the case... in a perfect world he'll be complete garbage through this contract and become a heartwarming reclamation tale for an East conf. team after it expires

Enjoy watching him do his blowfish thing, you might miss it when it's gone.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:12 PM
SLang

Disappointed hearing what you guys (Detroit fans) think about Quincey. I thought he showed tons of potential when he was with the Kings and I didn't like seeing him go. Sounds like consistency is his biggest problem.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:28 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Disappointed hearing what you guys (Detroit fans) think about Quincey. I thought he showed tons of potential when he was with the Kings and I didn't like seeing him go. Sounds like consistency is his biggest problem.
Wings fans' disappointment probably stems more from the fact that we gave up a 1st rounder for a guy who didn't help us anything down the stretch or in the playoffs, and the lack off other D-men signings. Culminating with the fact he filed for arbitration. The 25 or whatever games he played with us, where he wasn't very good, makes all the difference in the eyes of the fans. At the end of the day I think most will be fine with this. Two years is perfectly reasonable for a guy with his tools(but not necessarily toolbox) that has had his fair share of injury struggles lately. He'll be looking to prove himself.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Yup.
He'll play like a top-pairing defenseman one game, and the next you wonder how that bad of a player can play in the NHL.
As a fan that was really frustrating to see.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:35 PM
electricjib

So Detroit waived him...then traded a 1st for him...then pays him nearly 4 million? Ouch.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Yup.
He'll play like a top-pairing defenseman one game, and the next you wonder how that bad of a player can play in the NHL.
Sounds like Brad Stuart (except Quincey is less physical).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
Seems alright. Just make sure you bring him back from injury as quickly as possible or he'll go in a huff.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:38 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Detroit's problem isn't the cap hit. It's actually having to play Quincey big minutes.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:39 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Yup.
This.

There were games and times in CO where we thought he'd be our guy, especially before we traded for Johnson...it be came more and more clear that he just couldn't be a good player throughout the whole season.

After what he said about the Avs organization too, it shows he has character flaws, because players that have come in like McGinn, Downie and Johnson have nothing but good things to say about the team and organization, same with Mueller even though we let him go.

Sounds like Porter and Quincey formed a clique in the corner and wanted everyone to feel bad for them.

I hope he does well in Detroit, but after what he said about Colorado...i somewhat don't care...

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:54 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
This.

There were games and times in CO where we thought he'd be our guy, especially before we traded for Johnson...it be came more and more clear that he just couldn't be a good player throughout the whole season.

After what he said about the Avs organization too, it shows he has character flaws, because players that have come in like McGinn, Downie and Johnson have nothing but good things to say about the team and organization, same with Mueller even though we let him go.

Sounds like Porter and Quincey formed a clique in the corner and wanted everyone to feel bad for them.

I hope he does well in Detroit, but after what he said about Colorado...i somewhat don't care...
We constantly get on athletes for being PC and not telling the truth. It sounds like Quincey didn't enjoy Colorado and why lie about it. Now he is becoming kind of a malcontent, in his first departure from Detroit he took some shots, but it was more about playing time than anything else. Could be having come from LA and Detroit previously he didn't think much of how Colorado was run or the organization. He is entitled to his opinion and you are well within your rights to not like the guy for it.

As for the signing, Quincey is a very solid player. He is not spectacular but he seems to have a lot more respect around the people that have higher positions in the game and do this for a living. He made the Canadian World Championship roster and all because he was dealt for a first round pick after being waved people in Detroit are going to pretend he stinks at hockey. He isn't an all-star but he is a top 4 role d-man in this league. Given the off-season the Wings had to do this and kept him under the 4 million he was asking for in Colorado and at the start of the off-season, is a win. Give him a whole off-season and training camp along with a regular partner instead of the shuffle between White, Kindl and Big E and his game will be better next year. I think he actually looked best with Kindl and that would seem like good news since Kindl is finally going to get his chance to be a regular option this coming year.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:57 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Detroit's problem isn't the cap hit. It's actually having to play Quincey big minutes.
True. Ideally you want him to play maybe 4th D minutes, while we probably will have to give him 2nd or 3rd D minutes. If Smith comes in and plays Calder worthy defense, then things change. Quincey has all the tools to play those minutes though, he "just" lacks the consistency right now to perform every night.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:01 PM
HTT3*

I like this signing. This is a low cap hit for a 30-40 point for a young dman just entering his prime. He's good and gritty in the corners and can QB the PP. Quincey is basically Stuart's replacement. Stuart was showing his age, become soft in his old(er) age, and had no offensive instincts what-so-ever. Stuart use to be a great dman, but last year he was inconsistent and was brutal in the playoffs. I think it was time to demote him to the 3rd pairing if he was to stay with the DRWs, but it was time for him to go. He lost his mojo and was becoming a liability more than his worth. He didn't even play physical anymore.

At this stage in their careers, Quincey is an upgrade over Stuart and is a better PMD with size and offense. I have a feeling Quincey will prove to be a steal for Detroit.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I've never liked Quincey except for the few games when he first arrived in CO and played well.

He's average at everything and on top of that is lazy on the ice. The fact it would seem he did actually try to get 4+ from Detroit is further proof the Avs shouldn't have kept him, ignoring the return we got.

But at least Detroit got a decent deal on his contract all things considered.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote