HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Prosuectus Habs Top 10

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
  #26
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 4,679
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
The Good: Bozon is a pretty well-rounded player. He's an above-average skater and puck-handler who has the gritty element to his game with his speed to be a forechecking pest or effective along the boards. He also has the creativity to make plays on his own and control the puck. He's a pretty good finisher, as he has an above-average shot and arguably a plus one. Bozon gets back on defense well and also plays with a bit of an edge.

The Bad: Aside from needing to bulk up, Bozon doesn't have a clear weakness to his game other than he lacks true standout skills.

Sounds like he just described Alex Burrows, with a better shot. Hope Tim can develop into such a player. That would be awesome!

I really like Corey's list(s). By NO MEANS am I an expert, and for all these players, I have limited-to-no viewings, but I seem to value the same attributes he does. I voted for Collberg starting at #2 on our board and until he eventually got chosen by the majority. I find them to be especially helpful for fantasy purposes too!
If it's any consolation I too picked Collberg at #2 and believe he will be an exciting scorer for the Habs in a few years.He has the uncanny ability to be in scoring position constantly open for his blistering wristers akin to Cammalleri.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:43 PM
  #27
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,268
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
His explanation.
He had Hudon #8 based a lot on 'tools'. If Avtsin has anything, it's 'tools'

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM
  #28
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
The Good: Bozon is a pretty well-rounded player. He's an above-average skater and puck-handler who has the gritty element to his game with his speed to be a forechecking pest or effective along the boards. He also has the creativity to make plays on his own and control the puck. He's a pretty good finisher, as he has an above-average shot and arguably a plus one. Bozon gets back on defense well and also plays with a bit of an edge.

The Bad: Aside from needing to bulk up, Bozon doesn't have a clear weakness to his game other than he lacks true standout skills.

Sounds like he just described Alex Burrows, with a better shot. Hope Tim can develop into such a player. That would be awesome!

I really like Corey's list(s). By NO MEANS am I an expert, and for all these players, I have limited-to-no viewings, but I seem to value the same attributes he does. I voted for Collberg starting at #2 on our board and until he eventually got chosen by the majority. I find them to be especially helpful for fantasy purposes too!
I've heard diffferent, that Bozon isn't gritty, lacks strength, gets pushed off the puck easily and doesn't go into the dirty areas to score. He had a great year in the dub so we'll see what he can do over the next couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
His explanation.
I can't believe any scout would have Avtsin ranked higher, I'd be surprised if any had him in our top 20 after such a disaster of a season (less points in more games played then his rookie year, wasn't able to do much of anything on the ice). But the good news is that if other NHL teams scouts have Avtsin ranked higher then 12th, perhaps he will have some trade value as a throw in for something.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:46 PM
  #29
Maverik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He had Hudon #8 based a lot on 'tools'. If Avtsin has anything, it's 'tools'
I have lots of tool at my cottage too, half of them I don't know what to do with them. Does not make me a carpenter

I don't like rankings based on what tools you have. Darche has been able to have a good career with limited tools.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:52 PM
  #30
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Montreal Canadiens Top 10 Prospects
1. Alexander Galchenyuk, Center
2. Sebastian Collberg, Right Wing
3. Nathan Beaulieu, Defense
4. Danny Kristo, Right Wing
5. Brendan Gallagher, Right Wing
6. Jarred Tinordi, Defense
7. Tim Bozon, Left Wing
8. Charles Hudon, Left Wing
9. Michael Bournival, Center
10. Morgan Ellis, Defense

Some of his rankings are way out in left field. Collberg should be #6 and Tinordi #2 or 3. Hudon should be nowhere near the top 10. Ellis should be a few notches higher. Galchenyuk is right, Beaulieu is about right and Kristo and Gallagher are also.
You really thonk Collberg should be behind Kristo and Gallagher? He's basically a better version of Kristo.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:15 PM
  #31
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
I like Hudon, but at this point, I think at least Ellis should be ranked higher. Hudon has some serious tools, and he seems to be smart enough to know how to use them from what I've seen. It's hard for me to get live viewings of him though, living in Alberta.

Bozon seems to be very sneaky for a guy who's 6'1. I'm going to have to watch him live this season to get a read on him, but from highlights it looks like most of his scoring is him finding an open space, and letting it rip. That much at least suggests to me that he might have good hockey sense. If he is timid, that again would suggest that he has good hockey sense to be able to produce so well in the dub. I've heard both that he's timid, and that he's got grit: maybe he's just inconsistent?

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:37 PM
  #32
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I've heard both that he's timid, and that he's got grit: maybe he's just inconsistent?
cautiously gritty?

grittily timid?


windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
  #33
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
cautiously gritty?

grittily timid?

"gee, I dunno...I..I'd rather not *lays out a big hit*"

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:24 PM
  #34
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You really thonk Collberg should be behind Kristo and Gallagher? He's basically a better version of Kristo.
All prospects look amazing right after being drafted. Kristo was a 2nd round pick as well and Gallagher is looking really good so far, both are on the right track. Collberg has amazing potential but he can also turn out being a glorified D'Agostini. Having a good shot doesn't mean you can score a lot of goal playing against pros and he hasn't proven yet that he can. Similarly I don't get Hudon cracking our top10, nothing guarantess he'll be an NHLer at this point.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:28 PM
  #35
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
All prospects look amazing right after being drafted. Kristo was a 2nd round pick as well and Gallagher is looking really good so far, both are on the right track. Collberg has amazing potential but he can also turn out being a glorified D'Agostini. Having a good shot doesn't mean you can score a lot of goal playing against pros and he hasn't proven yet that he can. Similarly I don't get Hudon cracking our top10, nothing guarantess he'll be an NHLer at this point.
Why something that's an argument for Hudon isn't an argument for Kristo?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:29 PM
  #36
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
All prospects look amazing right after being drafted. Kristo was a 2nd round pick as well and Gallagher is looking really good so far, both are on the right track. Collberg has amazing potential but he can also turn out being a glorified D'Agostini. Having a good shot doesn't mean you can score a lot of goal playing against pros and he hasn't proven yet that he can. Similarly I don't get Hudon cracking our top10, nothing guarantess he'll be an NHLer at this point.
That would basically make him a decent 2nd liner....

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:36 PM
  #37
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Why something that's an argument for Hudon isn't an argument for Kristo?
Because Kristo is currently one of the best players in the NCAA while Hudon is a small 18yr old junior player that was picked in the 5th round. NCAA prospects often get underated because they remain at school for a while and they don't show up at training camp but right now Kristo is close to the NHL. Hudon is very far away.

I'm not saying Kristo is going to make it and that Hudon won't but the likelyhood favors Kristo at this moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD
That would basically make him a decent 2nd liner....
More like a poor man's 2nd liner. I know its fashionable to regret and miss the young players we trade away like they were all superstars but D'Agostini had a less than stellar season following his 20g scoring breakout season. He's a mediocre player with a low ceiling and yet as a prospect he was known for skating fast and having an incredible shot.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:40 PM
  #38
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
All prospects look amazing right after being drafted. Kristo was a 2nd round pick as well and Gallagher is looking really good so far, both are on the right track. Collberg has amazing potential but he can also turn out being a glorified D'Agostini. Having a good shot doesn't mean you can score a lot of goal playing against pros and he hasn't proven yet that he can. Similarly I don't get Hudon cracking our top10, nothing guarantess he'll be an NHLer at this point.
Kristo was a relatively late 2nd round pick, Collberg was a borderline 1st round pick. Kristo had more concerns (and still does) regarding his hockey IQ and the like. Collberg is already slightly taller, for what it's worth.

That doesn't mean Collberg can't bust, but on a list based mostly on ceiling, I don't see Kristo (or Gallagher for that matter) doesn't have a lower ceiling.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:01 PM
  #39
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Because Kristo is currently one of the best players in the NCAA while Hudon is a small 18yr old junior player that was picked in the 5th round. NCAA prospects often get underated because they remain at school for a while and they don't show up at training camp but right now Kristo is close to the NHL. Hudon is very far away.

I'm not saying Kristo is going to make it and that Hudon won't but the likelyhood favors Kristo at this moment.
It's a bit irrelevant, because, as you said, there no guarantee that Kristo will make it.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:02 PM
  #40
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Because Kristo is currently one of the best players in the NCAA while Hudon is a small 18yr old junior player that was picked in the 5th round. NCAA prospects often get underated because they remain at school for a while and they don't show up at training camp but right now Kristo is close to the NHL. Hudon is very far away.

I'm not saying Kristo is going to make it and that Hudon won't but the likelyhood favors Kristo at this moment.



More like a poor man's 2nd liner. I know its fashionable to regret and miss the young players we trade away like they were all superstars but D'Agostini had a less than stellar season following his 20g scoring breakout season. He's a mediocre player with a low ceiling and yet as a prospect he was known for skating fast and having an incredible shot.
Besides, if Hudon is small, then Kristo is small. What emphasizing on Hudon's smallness?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:18 PM
  #41
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,063
vCash: 500
Just my opinion, but Tinordi should be #2.

This guy also put a lot of emphasis on this most recent draft. He might have got caught up in the hype. I don't think Bozon and Hudon are better prospects than Ellis and Bournival. They certainly have more talent, but the older two are more proven and much more likely to find a niche in the NHL.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:35 PM
  #42
Takashi
Registered User
 
Takashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
so 4 of our 7 pick in this year draft which was supposed to be weak, is in our top 10 prospects? and 5 in the top 11.

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:52 PM
  #43
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Besides, if Hudon is small, then Kristo is small. What emphasizing on Hudon's smallness?
Kristo is 6' tall while Hudon is what 5'10?

I simply think its unfair to rank newly drafted players based on their ceiling while players that have been drafted years ago get ranked on their realistic potential.

The older a player gets, the clearer the picture. Very often the ceiling appears lower but at the same time the floor can go up as we see the player progress.

Hudon's ceiling is sky high since he's talented, for all we know he could be a first or second line player a-la Desharnais. The floor however is that he could end up being a fringe pro playing in switzerland like hundreds of similar players before him.

Currently Kristo's ceiling is currently two way second line player. At worse he might be an average third liner or a depth player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD
It's a bit irrelevant, because, as you said, there no guarantee that Kristo will make it.
No prospect is guaranteed to become an NHL regular, you just never know what can happen and thats what I meant. Kristo however is close to the NHL and would be a very likely candidate to make the team if he didn't stay in the NCAA another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But
Kristo was a relatively late 2nd round pick, Collberg was a borderline 1st round pick. Kristo had more concerns (and still does) regarding his hockey IQ and the like. Collberg is already slightly taller, for what it's worth.

That doesn't mean Collberg can't bust, but on a list based mostly on ceiling, I don't see Kristo (or Gallagher for that matter) doesn't have a lower ceiling.
Collberg being ranked ahead of Kristo I can understand but seeing Hudon or Bozon this high is very odd. This writer seems like the kind of guy that would have ranking Avstin no3 Habs prospect 2 years ago because he had a ''high ceiling''.

Who's more likely to be the best players of the bunch should be the most important factor, not who looks like he might end up being an all star if he fixes his thousand issues, gets a brain, starts working hard, grows a few inches and acquire better playoff beards.

Ellis, to me, is a nice example of a good prospect. He's probably low profile for other teams because he's not flashy but he's very likely to become a good NHLer. Yannick Weber probably looked like he had a higher ceiling back when he was a prospect yet I'm pretty sure Ellis is going to be the better player.


Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 07-19-2012 at 12:02 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:18 PM
  #44
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Who's more likely to be the best players of the bunch should be the most important factor, not who looks like he might end up being an all star if he fixes his thousand issues, gets a brain, starts working hard, grows a few inches and acquire better playoff beards.

Ellis, to me, is a nice example of a good prospect. He's probably low profile for other teams because he's not flashy but he's very likely to become a good NHLer. Yannick Weber probably looked like he had a higher ceiling back when he was a prospect yet I'm pretty sure Ellis is going to be the better player.
Mr. Pronman just gave us his view of it, he had Hudon as a 2nd rounder this year, so he's coherent with his previous rankings. He's high on the kid, like we all are on some certain prospects.

We can criticize and debate all we want, but the guy gave us an opinion. It's meant to be subjective, and potentially wrong.

I agree with you though, logically Kristo should be ranked higher than Hudon. It just happens that Pronman is really high on our latest 5th rounder.

Just like I was high on Avtsin before he came in. And was I ever wrong? Yet the guy still has two more years to redeem himself and fulfill our expectations of him. He will play with talented players this year, maybe that'll help.


Last edited by QuebecPride: 07-19-2012 at 10:35 PM.
QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:27 AM
  #45
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
That would basically make him a decent 2nd liner....
No.......

D'Agostini is a borderline NHLer who was healthy scratch on numerous occasions. He might even get waived after/during pre-eason.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:37 AM
  #46
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,268
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Mr. Pronman just gave us his view of it, he had Hudon as a 2nd rounder this year, so he's coherent with his previous rankings. He's high on the kid, like we all are on some certain prospects.

We can criticize and debate all we want, but the guy gave us an opinion. It's meant to be subjective, and potentially wrong.

I agree with you though, logically Kristo should be ranked higher than Hudon. It just happens that Pronman is really high on our latest 5th rounder.

Just like I was high on Avtsin before he came in. And was I ever wrong? Yet the guy still has two more years to redeem himself and fulfill our expectations of him. He will play with talented players this year, maybe that'll help.
Well he did rank Kristo higher than Hudon...and Gallagher and Tinordi. Perhaps I'm missing something. He oddly ranked Hudon over Bournival, Ellis, and Thrower though.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.