HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detroit Re-Signs Kyle Quincey [2 Years/$3.775 AAV]

Old
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
At this stage in their careers, Quincey is an upgrade over Stuart and is a better PMD with size and offense. I have a feeling Quincey will prove to be a steal for Detroit.
Don't know how you could call him a steal for Detroit when they had to pay a first to get him, having already waived his rights for nothing.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quincey is to Wings what Oduya is to Hawks

Brutal contract for brutal player

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

I dislike him a lot and he's not a very good hockey player, but Quincey >> Oduya.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:22 PM
IranCondraAffair

Detroit has tons of cap room and was looking to minimize risk with a shorter contact rather than a smaller salary because of that. He's too "up-and-down" to make a big money investment so they're using their cap space to reduce risk.

No way to tell if it was a good move or a bad move until he plays, but Detroit didn't have much choice, they really need defensemen.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:

Haha what are you talking about? The Wings don't have a starting defenseman as bad as Oduya and Quincey's contract is actually good unlike the one that has Oduya locked in for 3 more years with a NTC.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Thats a good signing. Wings fans wanted a short <$4 million contract. Thats a great deal.
it's a really good signing for the Wings. With the amount of monies that are being thrown at defenseman, it's a nice cap hit and a nice term. I would bet he would've received more in arbitration with some of these contracts going around.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Pepper

I still don't understand how any team was willing to give a 1st rounder for this guy. A horrible trade.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
We constantly get on athletes for being PC and not telling the truth. It sounds like Quincey didn't enjoy Colorado and why lie about it. Now he is becoming kind of a malcontent, in his first departure from Detroit he took some shots, but it was more about playing time than anything else. Could be having come from LA and Detroit previously he didn't think much of how Colorado was run or the organization. He is entitled to his opinion and you are well within your rights to not like the guy for it.

As for the signing, Quincey is a very solid player. He is not spectacular but he seems to have a lot more respect around the people that have higher positions in the game and do this for a living. He made the Canadian World Championship roster and all because he was dealt for a first round pick after being waved people in Detroit are going to pretend he stinks at hockey. He isn't an all-star but he is a top 4 role d-man in this league. Given the off-season the Wings had to do this and kept him under the 4 million he was asking for in Colorado and at the start of the off-season, is a win. Give him a whole off-season and training camp along with a regular partner instead of the shuffle between White, Kindl and Big E and his game will be better next year. I think he actually looked best with Kindl and that would seem like good news since Kindl is finally going to get his chance to be a regular option this coming year.
Do you know what he whined about? He was whining because Sacco didn't put him in the line-up during a winning streak right after he got healthy. He then said one of the most idiotic things I ever heard a player say, he said that he regrets telling the Avs medical staff that he's hurt, because he can't get back to the line-up.

That's a perfect example of a team player who puts the team before himself.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
joe89

Quote:

No, that was Ericsson when he signed his three-year deal. But it turned out to be fair market value in the end, hopefully the same can be said for Quincey half way through this season..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
Don't know how you could call him a steal for Detroit when they had to pay a first to get him, having already waived his rights for nothing.
You can't see it like that though. If Quincey stayed with Detroit for all those years there's NO way he would've gotten those minutes and opportunities like he got with Colorado and LA. You can see it more like we gave up a 1st rounder to let him develop somewhere else..

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:37 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Red Wings had Niklas Kronwall and Mathieu Schneider and couldn't give Quincey playing time. After they waived him, DRWs won a cup in 2008... so waiving Quincey is pretty much moot at this point. The cup makes all past trades/waives/signings "good".

What is a 1st rounder to Detroit in a weak draft anyhow? The usually pick their stars in later rounds anyhow. Hell, they drafted Martin Frk with the 49th pick and Andreas Anthanasiou with their 110th pick. They got some great players that were projected too go in the late 1st / early 2nd.

The facts remain the same, Quincey is a potential 40 point dman for just over $3.5 million in a $70 million salary cap league where players are severely getting overpaid. His cap hit is a bargain for a top 4 (40 point) dman.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Haha what are you talking about? The Wings don't have a starting defenseman as bad as Oduya and Quincey's contract is actually good unlike the one that has Oduya locked in for 3 more years with a NTC.
Ericsson and Quincey are worse defensively then Oduya

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Ericsson and Quincey are worse defensively then Oduya
Ericsson is definitely not worse than Oduya. Quincey is what he is. He takes some stupid penalties and has some oops moments. He has some games where you think he's an all star and then some games where he looks like Forest Gump out there.

He needs consistency. If he finds that he'll be a top 4 guy for the next ten years.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:46 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
If he pays off getting him for a 1st would be a steal. Anyone with a brain can realize he would've never developed if he had remained a Wing. The Wings essentially paid a 1st (in a weak draft) + a late 4th for Kyle Quincey. Depending on what he blossoms into that could be a steal.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Do you know what he whined about? He was whining because Sacco didn't put him in the line-up during a winning streak right after he got healthy. He then said one of the most idiotic things I ever heard a player say, he said that he regrets telling the Avs medical staff that he's hurt, because he can't get back to the line-up.

That's a perfect example of a team player who puts the team before himself.
I'm confused are you saying Quincey is not a team player or are you saying he is a team player but is just an idiot? I would be mad too if I thought I could help my team, was 100% healthy and the coach didn't play me because of a hunch.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:52 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Wings are in a world of hurt in the back end bro. Quincey is a low-end 2nd pairing D at best.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

Quote:
I'm confused are you saying Quincey is not a team player or are you saying he is a team player but is just an idiot? I would be mad too if I thought I could help my team, was 100% healthy and the coach didn't play me because of a hunch.
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_19636512

"You never want to see a team lose, but you're a professional hockey player, and that's what you get paid to do play hockey and not sit and watch," Quincey said. "It's hard to root for your team, and try to help your team, be part of the team, when you're just sitting. (Tuesday) night we lose, so now I get a chance. If we keep winning, I don't get a chance."

It didn't sit well with a lot of fans, and I daresay with management & the coaches too.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
He's not a team player at all, the 2nd part of my post was filled with sarcasm.

His teammates were winning games and the only thing he found appropriate to do was whining about sitting in the stands. Saying that he won't report future injuries to Avs medical staff was idiotic at best and it speaks volumes about his ego.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:
You would have every right to be mad about it. But you would be stupid to express those feelings to the media. I believe the decision to air his grievance to the media signed his pink slip out of Colorado.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:06 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
You would have every right to be mad about it. But you would be stupid to express those feelings to the media. I believe the decision to air his grievance to the media signed his pink slip out of Colorado.
Fair enough and I am not saying he was right to bring it to the media. It could be as simple as a reporter asked him how it was watching his team from the pressbox and he gave an honest answer. I understand why Avs fans would rather he didn't say that but to say he is not a team player at all because he would rather be on the ice is ludicrous. (Not singling you out this is a respone t the two posts above yours).

In the end Avs got what they wanted and so did Detroit. He hasn't shown anything since being in Detroit to hint that he is anything but a great teammate.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:11 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
Wings are in a world of hurt in the back end bro. Quincey is a low-end 2nd pairing D at best.
Let me guess you think that the Wild have a better defense then the Wings? Please tell me you believe that.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Fair enough and I am not saying he was right to bring it to the media. It could be as simple as a reporter asked him how it was watching his team from the pressbox and he gave an honest answer. I understand why Avs fans would rather he didn't say that but to say he is not a team player at all because he would rather be on the ice is ludicrous. (Not singling you out this is a respone t the two posts above yours).

In the end Avs got what they wanted and so did Detroit. He hasn't shown anything since being in Detroit to hint that he is anything but a great teammate.
I'm sorry, but put yourself in the shoes of Avs players who were playing during that winning streak. Do you think they appreciate what Quincey said?

Old
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:

Do you need more than one hand to count the number of non-brutal players in the league? Sheesh.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:17 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
You realize Kindl, Smith and White are currently starting defensemen for Wings, right?

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

My main problem with Quincey's comments was the selfishness... it seemed a case of "oh I'm not playing so I can't support them like normal because them winning means I don't play" when you had Hunwick who, while terrible, sat on his ass for most of last season without complaining and was still commended for his work ethic and attitude.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
You realize Kindl, Smith and White are currently starting defensemen for Wings, right?
But Brett Lebda isn't.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote