HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 9-14

Old
07-16-2012, 04:49 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
A great picture of the friday scrimmage goal by Almeida that I wanted to share. Picture taken by Jessica Carpenter - thanks!

Its not easy being a goalie.
That's Kostenko in the net.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
sk84fun_dc

Red Berenson stays on as head coach at Michigan and comments on Connor Carrick not going to Michigan

link

Also, from ‏@GoErieHockey

"LAKERS UPDATE: F Nardo Nagtzaam injured his knee at Caps camp; had surgery this week; will miss 6-8 weeks but be ready for start of season."

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:59 PM
sk84fun_dc

BC Q&A with Patrick Wey, some interesting stuff in there, IMO, mixed in with the general stuff.

Piano and Yoga...

Old
07-18-2012, 06:07 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Suck it Michigan. And go **** yourself on the integrity issue. Words and half commitments rule life and especially high level hockey

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Suck it Michigan. And go **** yourself on the integrity issue. Words and half commitments rule life and especially high level hockey
Dude, when CCF pledged his frat, his commitment was everything. Maybe if you had pledged a frat in college you would understand, bro. You're just pissed cause you didn't make your high school lacrosse team like I did.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:44 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Harsh comments from Berenson and a bit of an over reaction. Like College Coaches aren't known for making hollow promises to recruits either.

Don't know about other sports but know that soccer scholarships to colleges are usually for one year and then renewed or adjusted every year after that. So they may give you a full or 75% scholarship the first year, may scale it back to 65 % for the sophomore year and by your senior year you could be on a 25% scholarship. Look at some of college soccer rosters and you will see that they are usually weighed heavily with Freshman and Sophmores and then the upper classman dwindle with only a handful of seniors remaining on the roster.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Dude, when CCF pledged his frat, his commitment was everything. Maybe if you had pledged a frat in college you would understand, bro. You're just pissed cause you didn't make your high school lacrosse team like I did.
I wish I understood this meme.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
sk84fun_dc

I was surprised I didnít see anyone with the Caps media/blogger world write about Koudys when he was here last week and about the move from RPI to Muskegon/USHL, maybe I missed it and someone did.

Anyway, more on the move and about camp, etc., here in the Muskegon blog entry posted today.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
I wish I understood this meme.
I actually played High School Lacrosse, and I don't totally get it.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:44 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Good article on Max Iafrate from often Skins Blogger HomerMcFan - includes Iafrate / Tate fight video. Homer also interviewed and was a huge fan of Al Iafrate.

Quote:
During his time with the Kitchener Rangers in the Ontario Hockey League, the junior Iafrate has been known as a stay-at-home defenseman. While he doesn’t have a problem with his role on the squad, he was eager to show people there’s more to his game during his time at Caps Development Camp.

“That’s what they asked me to do,” he said. “You’ve got Ryan Murphy [the 12th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Draft] in front of you and the guy puts up 70 points a year, so that was my job. Even if he doesn’t makes the jump to the NHL this year, I think I’ll have an increased offensive role.”

Caps fans who attended the team’s development camp got a glimpse of how many different ways you’re able to contribute. Not only did you drop the gloves twice, but you also showed some offensive flair by jumping up into the play and assisting on Red Team forward Gregory Miller’s overtime winner in a 4-3 come-from-behind victory over the White Team during the final scrimmage of camp.

“Yeah, I’m more confident in my skating and stick handling than maybe I’ve been in the past,” said Iafrate, who is listed at 6-foot tall and 220 lbs. “I’ve been working on getting in better shape because I think the better your conditioning, the more enhanced your skills are. It’s definitely more fun out there when you’re making plays because you’re moving your feet.”
Headed to the prospect poll now.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
sk84fun_dc

@TPSportsMgmt

"Brandon Anderson traded to Everett Silvertips by Brandon Wheat Kings"

Personally, Iíve wondered even before this news if the Caps thought he was ready to turn pro. Heís eligible to play an overage season in the WHL. Many signs indicated that Brandon didnít want or expect him back (and they donít need him with Boes and company), so this may be an indication that Prior/Kolzig/McPhee donít think heís ready to play pro hockey even at the ECHL level and he needs to find a place to play hockey in the WHL as an overager. Also, possible, itís simply an overage asset move for roster purposes although itís early for that type move I'd think. Might know more based on what the return to Brandon is at this time.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
sk84fun_dc

more info: Trade is either the pick or Anderson for Maguire.

gdrinnan:

"Brandon trades former #WHLCanes G Brandon Anderson, 20, and a fifth-round pick to Everett for F Geordie Maguire, 17."

“If Anderson (NHL-Washington) plays in Everett, Bdn gets back pick. Maguire won Man. midget AAA scoring title with Winnipeg Wild.”

I looked at Everett’s roster from last season and Kent Simpson, also a ‘92, played the majority of the games for Everett. Simpson signed with Chicago and my guess is the Silvertips didn’t and still don’t expect to get him back for an overage season. The other 2 goalies who played last year, a '92 played 1 game and the other, a 95, looks to have been the backup last season, so unless there was another off-season trade, it looks like Everett does need a second goalie, but I'll wait for the articles since I don't know the org. goaltending other than the basics.

a not so long ago about overagers in the WHL for next season and the need for goaltending for Everett and a not surprising mention of Anderson's struggles in the WHL:

http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/201...overagers.html

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-23-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old
07-24-2012, 08:36 AM
sk84fun_dc

link to Everett take on the WHL trade for Anderson or a 5th round pick

Sounds like my take above was on track.

Also, news today that Kostenko is getting out of his Russian contract and signing an ELC.

translation of this and also tweeted by @AlexSerenRosso

Goalkeeper "Kuznetsk Bears" Sergey Kostenko, by mutual agreement of the parties canceled the contract with his club and is going to pursue a career in "Washington," according to "Sport-Express".

Old
07-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Carlzner

Does that mean Kostenko is coming over to the NA this year? Where does he fit? ECHL?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:16 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Does that mean Kostenko is coming over to the NA this year? Where does he fit? ECHL?
That does sound about right given the recent news on Anderson.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:52 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
If he signs as things indicate at the moment, looks like he will. I assume be at Reading/ECHL to start; learn Engllish, adjust to NA rinks, get coaching from Kolzig/Prior, etc. He played in the MHL last season.

Note, this is assuming Grubauerís on schedule in his recovery from wrist surgery; no reason to believe otherwise, just a note. And as I mentioned yesterday, things could change a bit if thereís a delay to the NHL season and the possibility of Holtby starting the season in Hershey in that case.

Also, note, IF Kostenko signs an ELC and plays minor league pro NA hockey on an NHL ELC (doesnít play 10 or more NHL games) and IF the ELC rules donít change, his contract would slide that first year as he would be considered a 19yo for CBA purposes given his 9/17/92 birthdate.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Bure

That's cool about Kostenko.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Back from the scrimmage. As said above, kind of a skate-fest (and a choppy one) in the first and second. Physical play seemed to pick up a bit in the third.

Some observations on players:

Galiev: Best player on the ice, IMO. Created chances, won races, protected the puck along the boards, and the puck seemed to always find him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm curious as to how Galiev suddenly got pimped as a big club option. It seemed to be mentioned here briefly, then Whyno "got a hunch" (while well-couching in case he doesn't make it so Whyno can have it both ways) and then the other beats picked it up.

I think Galiev's going to spend next season bouncing between Reading and Hershey - and to no discredit to him. juniors to pros is the big jump. I'm long-term optimistic on the guy, but thinking of him on the big club (not matter how much CYA is involved) is very optimistic.

Love to be wrong, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Honestly, Whyno probably got it from here. I think the idea comes from his performance in (most of) the QMJHL playoffs and McPhee's failure to/decision not to sign a top-6 winger. I haven't seen him at camp or anything like some have, but I really doubt that he'll see time in the ECHL this season. I don't think he'll make the Capitals, but I would bet a lot of money on 0 ECHL games and at least 5 NHL games for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I did think Galiev looked more physically advanced than a lot of guys at camp. Not the same lanky kid I've seen before (though, admittedly the last time I saw him in person was two summers ago).

I don't think it'll hurt his development to let him sink or swim in Hershey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Not a chance he ends up in the ECHL. His playoff stat line in his junior career, 34 goals 46 assists and 80 points in 57 games. He has all the skill in the world and seems to have the work ethic by showing up to camp early and everything.

I'll bet he plays more games in the NHL this season then the ECHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Dude, seriously. He had a good development camp - love to hear someone say he had a good training camp. Really, that's the reach?

The optimism over prospects is understandable, if naive. Galiev needs serious pro seasoning from what I hear - haven't seem much of his play other than (occasional tiny streams and a game or four on NHL tv).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Read on twitter earlier today(Can't find the tweet now) that Galiev has put on 18 pounds since his draft year 2 seasons ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
He looked a heck of a lot quicker and stronger this post season over last. Granted I get limited viewings of those small samples. But I was impressed.

Big club "option".... Maybe a call-up after a demonstrated successful pro run in Hershey. Sent to the E... I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It's a case of projected need shoehorning the perceived top option at camp into a role because it makes for easy copy. He needs to learn the sort of consistency required at the pro level but he has the raw ability to cut it in Hershey on their second or third line. We'll see how he translates to that level and evolves. Their last Russian forward developed in the Q didn't fare too well in Hershey but he didn't quite have Galiev's size or speed. Galiev has quite a bit to learn but he should be better able to catch on down there (assuming his head is straight).

One thing in his favor at the moment as far as recalls go is so few Hershey forwards under NHL contract: just Potulny, Stoa, Carman and Mitchell otherwise. Maybe add Hamill as well and they could just sign one of the vets on AHL deals ala Helmer but it gives him a slight advantage depending on player type needed provided he's coming along well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
He's a year away yet but is going to be a good one. I think 20-25 goals in Hershey this year would be a very good next step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
To Marshall, page hits

Like Langway, I only think he gets recalled based on performance and if there isn't another option and at the moment there aren't a lot of options, but still he's not the only one, depending on how things play out. To Langway specifically, the vet that falls in the possible to get a mid-year contract if needed is Taffe based on his comment (and I believe him about having the option for a lower AHL salary on an NHL 2-way or signing as he did an AHL only contract,) but we are still a long way off from the season and what the rosters will be.

As to Galiev, I expect him to play in the AHL next season. I think the ECHL team being located in Reading increases the chances that if he struggles at some point that he will be sent down for some games, but for now, based on his development to date, I assume he plays the season in the AHL and gets a call-up only IF warranted based on his AHL play. As others have noted, as many do from 18yo to 20 yo, he has filled out a bit from draft year to last year and more so this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Galiev seems to be coming along nicely, but not ready for the NHL yet. They still need a skilled winger. That guy isn't in-house right now. A full season in Hershey would no doubt be beneficial to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I mentioned it a few days ago...that maybe Galiev could earn a shot on that line since the gaping hold is going to be so large...but I really didnt buy my own argument. Now there are articles on it. Really?

I guess that 2nd line RW hole is so large...throw any stone into it and see if it makes a sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The standard is pretty craptacular in the market at the moment. Not enough Tarik. Many feel the need to fill air on social media as well. So you get beat writer speculation.

As Langway noted, it's probably a byproduct of need, and also the fact that the development camp is populated by a bunch of guys who are either relatively mature but with clear ceilings; or talented but very raw. That's not an elite group of NHL-ready prospects. A guy like Galiev stands out. He may be among the more ready guys, but that doesn't make him actually ready. It just makes him better than the rest at this time.

If anyone in-house is getting a scoring-line slot, it's probably Matti Purrutu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
There's always going to be media hype around some players at camp. Galiev is simply the most appealing candidate this year. There are really only three forward prospects that are anywhere near the NHL level (Galiev, Forsberg, and Wilson), and with Wilson still a ways off and Forsberg spending the next season in Sweden, Galiev is the only semi-plausible forward to make a push for a roster spot. Everyone else is a free agent invite, committed to the NCAA, and/or simply not NHL material.

The sad and horrifying fact is that Perreault is probably more worthy of a shot than most of the free agents as well. The only remaining UFA forwards who scored more points than Perreault last year are Semin, Doan, Wellwood, Selanne, Kostitsyn, Sykora, and Arnott. Of those seven candidates, two are centers (Wellwood and Arnott), one is either retiring or staying in Anaheim (Selanne), and McPhee has apparently tired of another (Semin). So that leaves Doan (a long shot), Kostitsyn, and Sykora as the only semi-plausible UFA upgrades on Perreault.

Slim pickings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Excellent reports from all who attended. To be frank, we had a couple guys look good, but not on a consistent basis. What we didn't have is an outstanding player waiting in the wings, which you rarely have at a developmental camp. Galiev did nothing but prove that people on here view stats rather then the player. This guy is AT LEAST a year away, Wilson is probably 2 years out. Forsberg, through proper development could make a push for next year. What I did learn for a fact, instead of guessing, is that our cupboard is very, very thin.
Fun times going through this thread. The Galiev discussion was worth a few chuckles. Marshall knows his ****.

FWIW I wasn't on the hype train but didn't think he would be this hilariously bad either.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Fun times going through this thread. The Galiev discussion was worth a few chuckles. Marshall knows his ****.

FWIW I wasn't on the hype train but didn't think he would be this hilariously bad either.
True. No NHL player has ever struggled coming out of the CHL and had to develop in both the AHL and ECHL in his first pro season.

Might as well trade the guy while we can still fetch a 7th.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
True. No NHL player has ever struggled coming out of the CHL and had to develop in both the AHL and ECHL in his first pro season.

Might as well trade the guy while we can still fetch a 7th.

Anyway, yeah, impressive call by Marshall. Glad my bet was only hypothetical.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Oh God.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote