HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New goalie that needs some help with my coach

Old
07-18-2012, 06:40 PM
ganave

vCash: 500
Ended things amiably.

I contacted my coach and we'll go our separate ways. I thanked him for the classes and I might sub in games for him once in awhile down the road.

No refund though, the company that runs the program are kinda tightwads.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Brunomics

As a part time goalie I would think that all those skating drills would greatly help your agility, balance, and speed while moving around the ice. I know it did for me and a buddy of mine.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:50 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
As a part time goalie I would think that all those skating drills would greatly help your agility, balance, and speed while moving around the ice. I know it did for me and a buddy of mine.
Powerskating can certainly help, but for a new goalie who hasn't built up his stamina yet IMO he needs to learn the basics of shuffles and t-pushes first. Once he has those down and has built up his stamina then power skating can help him out.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Subnordi

You're not working hard enough

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
With limited time on ice and being new to it all you should be working on your basic mobility and recovery technique when your on the ice as much as possible. You can do lots of "dry land" work to add strength and stamina in the right areas.

Hounsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:44 PM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
You're not working hard enough
Yeah, you're right.

The key to being a good goalie is only working on pushing off for skating drills and shuffling.

It's not like I've started from really nothing in skating in March, hit the ice two to three times a week until the rinks started closing in May, going to the gym each day, yoga, painstakingly putting all my goalie gear together, and wearing my gear to open skates.

Do you think that me switching to goalie specific classes means I'm going to work any less hard? I want to learn how to play correctly. I will be busting my butt so I can play in games. Do you think a coach in a class that has only *4* spots each week is going to put up with someone not giving it their all? Do you think that I'm going to slack off in the rink that I'll be playing in eventually?

I know you're a goalie too, but I ain't taking it easy.

My biggest issue is that I couldn't work out something with my coach and who told me that I *shouldn't* come to the class on Sunday for extra ice-time or practice the basic goalie skating moves.

Screw that noise. I want to be good and learn how to play the position right.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
Ended things amiably.
... Wow. Your opening post was to this old goalie an absolute shock. That youd be pushed to the verge of blackout, even at the professional levels let alone at 29 as a strictly recreational strictly for fun recreational pursuit I find absolutely appalling. Disgraceful. Lucky for that so called "Coach" your even tempered.

At anyrate, I played goal "back in the day" through Junior, however, upon entry level into the game itself at Tyke & Atom I played Left Wing and recreationally even after taking up the position of goalie in organized league play in Pee Wee, I always played out when playing pickup or shinny.

In order to build your core, stamina, skating skills (which you absolutely require as a goalie) & appreciation for what youll face in the net, Id recommend you try playing forward or defence for at least a season or more before strapping on the pads at all. Give you a much greater understanding of the game & overall hockey smarts while getting into shape. Therafter if your still keen, by all means go for it. I dont advocate nor do I believe its a good idea nor practice for anyone to enter the game as a Goalie, no matter what age. Start as a defenceman or a forward and then and only then thereafter regardless of whether you feel your a "natural goalie" or not & dont want to play out should you take up the position of netminder.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Subnordi

Quote:
Yeah, you're right.

The key to being a good goalie is only working on pushing off for skating drills and shuffling.

It's not like I've started from really nothing in skating in March, hit the ice two to three times a week until the rinks started closing in May, going to the gym each day, yoga, painstakingly putting all my goalie gear together, and wearing my gear to open skates.

Do you think that me switching to goalie specific classes means I'm going to work any less hard? I want to learn how to play correctly. I will be busting my butt so I can play in games. Do you think a coach in a class that has only *4* spots each week is going to put up with someone not giving it their all? Do you think that I'm going to slack off in the rink that I'll be playing in eventually?

I know you're a goalie too, but I ain't taking it easy.

My biggest issue is that I couldn't work out something with my coach and who told me that I *shouldn't* come to the class on Sunday for extra ice-time or practice the basic goalie skating moves.

Screw that noise. I want to be good and learn how to play the position right.
That was sarcasm man, you seem to work the hardest of anyone I know, just keep your mentality and eventually when you're stopping pucks left right and center, you'll earn the coach's respect, all though he doesn't seem to respect your work ethic now, he'll grow to.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:35 PM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
That was sarcasm man, you seem to work the hardest of anyone I know, just keep your mentality and eventually when you're stopping pucks left right and center, you'll earn the coach's respect, all though he doesn't seem to respect your work ethic now, he'll grow to.
Sorry about that. Hard to tell sarcasm sometimes. He respects the hard work that I've done, but he's not a goalie coach and overall I think it'll work out fine. The biggest accomplishment for me from the two classes is that I'm not afraid of the puck (I asked for one of the better shooters to let a couple rip right at my chest).

Old
07-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Canadiens1958

Ankle

The issues you are having with movement may be related to your ankle injury. My understanding is that the injury happened before you took up hockey goaltending. When you did your rehab your program probably did not include exercises that were important to lateral hockey goaltender movement. Add that coming back from such an injury is an 18-24 month process, so your efforts to date are quite laudible. Talk to your rehab therapist about ankle exercises that will help hockey lateral movement and work on them.

Suggestions.Work on your hockey skating by playing a skater position in a beginner league. Get someone - you may have to join a skater class, to evaluate your left and right turns. There are various standard tests. Try to reach a level where your turning to each side is virtually equal. Then....

Find a good off ice training program for goalies. Go with it concentrating on the lateral movement exercises.

Combined you should be ready to play goalie. Presently I doubt that you are.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Talk to your rehab therapist about ankle exercises that will help hockey lateral movement and work on them... Suggestions.Work on your hockey skating by playing a skater position in a beginner league. Try to reach a level where your turning to each side is virtually equal. Then....
... and only then, would I recommend you strap on the pads and go for it. The better free-skating ability, the better a goaltender you'll make & become. Play pickup, shinny, enjoy the game, its joi de vivre sans all of the equipment, build up your core strength running, flexibility exercises. Y'know, the human body was not meant to move in the butterfly position & stance. You cant just expect to dive into the deep end & achieve rapid results coming off an injury and at your age. Youd want to approach the position in more of a hybrid manner, like a Tim Thomas or Martin Brodeur type style combining stand-up with BF techniques. A graduated methodology if you will. Work on "saving" rather than just "blocking" the puck. Stick work is also critical, and youve got to learn how to shoot starting with a regular stick. Builds confidence, skills playing out that you must have in the crease.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Subnordi

Quote:
Sorry about that. Hard to tell sarcasm sometimes. He respects the hard work that I've done, but he's not a goalie coach and overall I think it'll work out fine. The biggest accomplishment for me from the two classes is that I'm not afraid of the puck (I asked for one of the better shooters to let a couple rip right at my chest).
Haha no problem, maybe you could request a goalie coach? This season I had a recently graduated high school goalie come in and help me, he worked wonders, and when he missed a practice I was kind of lost. Regular coaches really have no idea what to do in order to help a goaltender's development, tell the coach that you need someone that can help develop you to your full potential. Good luck with your goaltending though, I wish you the best!

Old
07-21-2012, 07:06 PM
aurturia
Rookie User

As someone mentioned before, look up Maria Mountain, she posts new video's all the time Here's a link to her http://www.youtube.com/user/revolutioncondition . Not only are you going to find things on working on your agility and what not, but you'll also find a lot of stretches to help you minimize chances of injury, and things to help with soreness. One of the best resources we've gained in my opinion.

If you have a bicycle consider riding around. What I do is keep a good load going on my legs, then for about 20 seconds ever other minute or so I like to stand up on the bike and peddle as hard as I can while in the toughest gear, then sit back on the seat and go back to that pace I had before.
It'll take a while to get to where you can keep a good sprint going for a length of time, as well as do it consistantly.
While some may argue the benefits of the sprints, look at the exercise as a whole, you're trying to keep a healthy pace/workload going which is what you need for your long term stamina. The sprints however are great for the short term burst stamina you need to fire your muscles explosively in short succession. It won't match being on the actual ice, but it does do a good deal of positive!

aurturia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:41 PM
ean

Your coach is insane.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote