HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap floor teams

Old
07-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
What's a myth exactly? Pretty sure myth is something that is supposed to have happened. How's that chronic hating going there earl?
I guess a myth is more of a story with purpose, the purpose in this case being relieving people of the pain of reality (er, sorry, hate).

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
This is the wording of the 35+ contracts, I don't see any wiggle room there.
The part you quoted concerns cap hit, the poster you replied to was talking about whether the player gets paid. If Thomas is suspended he doesn't get paid, but the team still has a 5 million dollar cap hit.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:47 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Can't they sign multiple decent players to better contracts?

Guys like AK and so on will help more and while salary ends up higher, so does the impact on the game.

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php

Quite a few guys who can help teams there. Some on bargain rates as they aren't stars.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I can't imagine it, why wouldn't they just offer semin or other players the league max or whatever other inflated contracts they want.
Because these guys probably want long term deals and the floor teams may not be ready to invest for X number of years into them only to reach the floor. I guess nothing prevent them give Semin , Doan or whoever else a 1-2 years deal at 10m though but then they would have to pay the whole salary which may not be the best option for budget teams. This is all speculation of course

This is why a guy like Gomez may be attractive to a floor team. High cap hit with a lower salary and only 2 years left on his contract.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Miller Time

if Doan leaves Phoenix, I could see them having interest in Gomez...

his cap hit means nothing to him, so as a 5M$ player for 2 years, it's still a risk, but a much smaller one than for a cap spending team.

He's played in defensively-tight systems before, so he shoulnd't have issues adapting to Tippet, Maloney was with the Rangers when they gave him that contract, so unless he was the lone voice of reason opposing Sather, there's possibly a positive connection there.

and really, after losing both Doan and Whitney, if the yotes have any hope of being a playoff team again, they need to add a player with some offensive ability. Obviously Gomez's last 2 seasons put his production potential in serious doubt, but the guy does have enough of a resume that a "change of scenery" argument certainly could be made.

factor in the bottom of the barrel UFA's still out there, and the reality that they wouldn't have to give up anything to get him, and Gomez to Phoenix makes a lot of sense.

aside from that, I could see several teams on that list being very interested in Bourque/Kaberle, even to the point of offering up a relatively decent asset in return.

bourque is tougher to move given how thin our top-9 winger group is, but if we can land either Semin/Doan, or if in camp the team decides that 2 of Leblanc/Geoffrion/Palushaj/Gallagher/? show enough to earn a spot ahead of Bourque, then moving him makes a ton of sense.

Kaberle I deal to the best offer, which might surprise us given the cap floor & roster needs of some of those teams.

really hope Bergie works some magic and gets all 3 of those contracts off the books, without taking any long-term bad $$ back... would make pushing for one of the potential 2013 UFA gems, either next summer or in trade this coming season, much much easier to do (Perry being the perfect target)

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

I wonder if some sort of waiver deal could be made with a floor team. By that i mean the Habs have talks with Y team about trying to get Gomez on re entry waivers if they guarantee that they will pick him up. Habs would pay half of his salary (2.75m) which could make it even more interesting to a budget or floor team. The Habs get rid of his contract and cap hit and the Y team get a 7.3 cap hit help to reach the floor while adding a low salary at 2.75m. Both teams kill two birds with one stone. Best case scenario Gomez get claimed before going on re-entry in which case Y team would have to suck it but the Habs still win.

Is something like this even feasible or too much of a stretch ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
I wonder if some sort of waiver deal could be made with a floor team. By that i mean the Habs have talks with Y team about trying to get Gomez on re entry waivers if they guarantee that they will pick him up. Habs would pay half of his salary (2.75m) which could make it even more interesting to a budget or floor team. The Habs get rid of his contract and cap hit and the Y team get a 7.3 cap hit help to reach the floor while adding a low salary at 2.75m. Both teams kill two birds with one stone. Best case scenario Gomez get claimed before going on re-entry in which case Y team would have to suck it but the Habs still win.

Is something like this even feasible or too much of a stretch ?
I believe when claimed on re-entry waivers the claiming team pays half the salary and only gets half the cap hit. Montreal will be left with the other half.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Bullsmith

So if you trade for Gomez or for Thomas you save 5 million in cash and get to simply pocket it. If I'm ownership, that's not a negative. The difference is that if you take on Gomez you actually take on Gomez for two seasons. If you take on Thomas, you likely never even see him.

I'm presuming Thomas is forfeiting his compensation by denying his services to the team.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if Doan leaves Phoenix, I could see them having interest in Gomez...

his cap hit means nothing to him, so as a 5M$ player for 2 years, it's still a risk, but a much smaller one than for a cap spending team.

He's played in defensively-tight systems before, so he shoulnd't have issues adapting to Tippet, Maloney was with the Rangers when they gave him that contract, so unless he was the lone voice of reason opposing Sather, there's possibly a positive connection there.

and really, after losing both Doan and Whitney, if the yotes have any hope of being a playoff team again, they need to add a player with some offensive ability. Obviously Gomez's last 2 seasons put his production potential in serious doubt, but the guy does have enough of a resume that a "change of scenery" argument certainly could be made.

factor in the bottom of the barrel UFA's still out there, and the reality that they wouldn't have to give up anything to get him, and Gomez to Phoenix makes a lot of sense.

aside from that, I could see several teams on that list being very interested in Bourque/Kaberle, even to the point of offering up a relatively decent asset in return.

bourque is tougher to move given how thin our top-9 winger group is, but if we can land either Semin/Doan, or if in camp the team decides that 2 of Leblanc/Geoffrion/Palushaj/Gallagher/? show enough to earn a spot ahead of Bourque, then moving him makes a ton of sense.

Kaberle I deal to the best offer, which might surprise us given the cap floor & roster needs of some of those teams.

really hope Bergie works some magic and gets all 3 of those contracts off the books, without taking any long-term bad $$ back... would make pushing for one of the potential 2013 UFA gems, either next summer or in trade this coming season, much much easier to do (Perry being the perfect target)
I strongly doubt Perry becomes a FA. The only reason he'd become one is if he wants out of ANA. But I can't see Anaheim just letting him go.
Perry and Getzlaf are the two most interesting FA next summer, along with Hartnell, but I expect all three to be re-signed. The rest are aging vets like Iginla, Elias and Jagr.
That's another reason why I think going after Semin right now might actually be the best scenario. We could possibly sign him at a very cap friendly deal, considering his raw talent, because of all the bad press he's gotten. The Free Agency next year is looking even thinner than it was this year.
As I said, you don't pass up good opportunities. If we have a chance to bring in such a skilled player right now, at a pretty decent contract, we should absolutely do it.
The interesting names of next year are likely to be re-signed, and if they're not, a guy like Perry will completely make the bank explode with 29 teams showing interest.

In any event, I do agree. I certainly hope MB is working on different scenarios on how to improve this team, and unlike the past management, those scenarios will see the light of day, instead of just being ideas.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I strongly doubt Perry becomes a FA. The only reason he'd become one is if he wants out of ANA. But I can't see Anaheim just letting him go.
Perry and Getzlaf are the two most interesting FA next summer, along with Hartnell, but I expect all three to be re-signed. The rest are aging vets like Iginla, Elias and Jagr.
That's another reason why I think going after Semin right now might actually be the best scenario. We could possibly sign him at a very cap friendly deal, considering his raw talent, because of all the bad press he's gotten. The Free Agency next year is looking even thinner than it was this year.
As I said, you don't pass up good opportunities. If we have a chance to bring in such a skilled player right now, at a pretty decent contract, we should absolutely do it.
The interesting names of next year are likely to be re-signed, and if they're not, a guy like Perry will completely make the bank explode with 29 teams showing interest.

In any event, I do agree. I certainly hope MB is working on different scenarios on how to improve this team, and unlike the past management, those scenarios will see the light of day, instead of just being ideas.
heard the same thing about Parise, and to a lesser extent Suter...

but yeah, if ANA is smart, Perry/Getzlaf get inked and every other GM in the league sheds a tear.

but something tells me that unless the Ducks break the bank for Perry, he'll explore his July 1st options the way Parise did. Can't be all that enjoyable to play in front of so-so crowds most of the year, even with the appeal of the beach.

He's a guy who thrives in the spotlight, on-ice at least, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him look to sign in a hockey-mad market, either in Canada, or if he prefers a bit of anonimity away from the ice, in a place like Philly/Boston/NY/Detroit.

Getzlaf I see re-upping, but like the Predators, Anaheim will have a tough time getting both of them done long-term imo.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
heard the same thing about Parise, and to a lesser extent Suter...

but yeah, if ANA is smart, Perry/Getzlaf get inked and every other GM in the league sheds a tear.

but something tells me that unless the Ducks break the bank for Perry, he'll explore his July 1st options the way Parise did. Can't be all that enjoyable to play in front of so-so crowds most of the year, even with the appeal of the beach.

He's a guy who thrives in the spotlight, on-ice at least, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him look to sign in a hockey-mad market, either in Canada, or if he prefers a bit of anonimity away from the ice, in a place like Philly/Boston/NY/Detroit.

Getzlaf I see re-upping, but like the Predators, Anaheim will have a tough time getting both of them done long-term imo.
I guess we heard different things about Parise and Suter. I remember Suter sayin he wants NSH to prove they're willing to commit to pushing forward and really building a strong team before he thinks of re-signing.
I had also heard about Parise not eager to re-sign in NJ.

I guess it just shows we never what is really going on.

So yea, maybe all those three guys, Perry, Getzlaf and Hartnell will test the free market. Maybe not. We also don't really know what will happen with the new cba yet.

My point is that, unlike the unknown with these guys, we do know for sure that Semin is free as air right now.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote