HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres sign John Scott (1 year, $600k)

Old
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Avs/Habs fan here, I like where your team is going in terms of toughness, I loved Buffalo back when Barnaby (one of my favourite players) and Ray played for you guys.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Thank you, Zip, for summing up my sentiments to a tee - I don't mind the signing as much as the overblown anger/paranoia many still have from that Lucic incident. It's as if those people are expecting a sequel this year where Scott atones for all of the past cowerings by the Sabres.

Scott sounds like a more feared fighter than Peters ever was but nearly everyone lamented the waste of dressing Peters at the time for enforcing only to play him 2-3 minutes per game because he couldn't contribute on any other level. Does anyone really believe Scott would be used any differently?
Peters was a not a terrible fighter and had issues embracing the role. Scott's reputation seems to be as a scary guy to tangle with, something Peters never had. It's a step up from Andro's days and while I would've prefered a guy who can take a regular shift and hit like Glass or Asham, Scott does give them someone who's shown he can be dynamic at something, even if that something isn't actually hockey.

07-03-2012, 12:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Thank you, Zip, for summing up my sentiments to a tee - I don't mind the signing as much as the overblown anger/paranoia many still have from that Lucic incident. It's as if those people are expecting a sequel this year where Scott atones for all of the past cowerings by the Sabres.
Considering its the talk of many outlets that have commented on his signing, as well as Ott bringing up the Bruins games on his own. Its a bigger issues than you think.

I felt like you until reading/hearing comments from Ott/Scott and various folks on NHL network,etc. The Lucic incident made a much bigger impact around the league than I ever gave it credit for doing. I used to think all the talk was overblown as well.

As a Sabres fan it was painful to listen to my team described as it was.

Quote:
Scott sounds like a more feared fighter than Peters ever was but nearly everyone lamented the waste of dressing Peters at the time for enforcing only to play him 2-3 minutes per game because he couldn't contribute on any other level. Does anyone really believe Scott would be used any differently?
Peters was a waste because he was reluctant to do it and wasn't feared. As in why waste a roster spot on someone that can't even do what they are there for.

I also think you're complete out to lunch on your take on this. For starters you obviously have no clue about his fighting history or ability. He is feared in a way that peters never was. Second in another thread you speculated that he would be in Rochester with the occassional call up. There isn't a chance in hell that happens.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-03-2012 at 01:07 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:52 AM
ceky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
..... Scott does give them someone who's shown he can be dynamic at something, even if that something isn't actually hockey.

could it be that the side of you that loves the beautiful played game of hockey is in conflict with the more archaic side that just loves to finally see some sabres delivered knock-outs?

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Peters was a not a terrible fighter and had issues embracing the role. Scott's reputation seems to be as a scary guy to tangle with, something Peters never had. It's a step up from Andro's days and while I would've prefered a guy who can take a regular shift and hit like Glass or Asham, Scott does give them someone who's shown he can be dynamic at something, even if that something isn't actually hockey.
Peters had 0 issues with the role, that's why he stuck around so long and would have stayed if offered another contract. In fact, Scott is probably less comfortable in the role than Peters ever was, just look at their fight cards.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:47 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Peters had 0 issues with the role, that's why he stuck around so long and would have stayed if offered another contract. In fact, Scott is probably less comfortable in the role than Peters ever was, just look at their fight cards.
Where are you getting this?

Andrew Peters has said spoke multiple times about this very thing on local radio.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:53 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Where are you getting this?

Andrew Peters has said spoke multiple times about this very thing on local radio.
he may have been a little scared, but he always fought the best, unlike Scott although I love this signing

Old
07-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Beerz

Peters was a beast when he was on the juice.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:57 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
he may have been a little scared, but he always fought the best, unlike Scott although I love this signing
That has nothing to do with whether or not he enjoyed the role. He played the role but he struggled with accepting it internally.

Old
07-17-2012, 06:59 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
That has nothing to do with whether or not he enjoyed the role. He played the role but he struggled with accepting it internally.
Nor is it relevant since he did it well for 5 full seasons.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Peters was a beast when he was on the juice.
Andrew Peters was a mild mannered hockey player trying to prove he had the skill to play in the NHL. Andro Peters knew his skill wasn't good enough and was willing to knock some heads to earn a pay check.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Andrew Peters was a mild mannered hockey player trying to prove he had the skill to play in the NHL. Andro Peters knew his skill wasn't good enough and was willing to knock some heads to earn a pay check.
He did well...I respect the guy... Did what he had to do to make some decent bank then said enoughs enough... I hope his role on K-Slys show gets expanded and he works his way into a bigger role... He's entertaining to say the least.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Nor is it relevant since he did it well for 5 full seasons.
You said he had 0 issues with the role. That is unequivocally false.

You've provided no evidence that John Scott isn't comfortable with the role.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:21 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
You said he had 0 issues with the role. That is unequivocally false.

You've provided no evidence that John Scott isn't comfortable with the role.
Fighting Parros and Koci once eachin half Peter's career worth of games... and no other real heavyweights, compare that to Peters.

EDIT: The two years that they coincided with each other, bulls**t Beerz

Last edited by ninetynine*: 07-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old
07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Fighting Parros and Koci once eachin half Peter's career worth of games... and no other real heavyweights, compare that to Peters.
Peters played in a different era ...when enforcers were still in abundance .... Scott has a hard time finding willing participants as well.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Back on topic folks. This guy has nothing to do with Andrew Peters. If you want a Petey thread, go make one.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:28 PM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

Quote:

EDIT: The two years that they coincided with each other, bulls**t Beerz
The body of work isn't huge, but it's not like his resume is devoid of heavies. He's gone with Reaves, Westgarth, and Staubitz. Who else does he need to drop them with to end the debate? Carkner? Thornton? Rupp? Bisnasty?

Quote:
Back on topic folks. This guy has nothing to do with Andrew Peters. If you want a Petey thread, go make one.
Agreed, but this is a debate that has surrounded both Chara and Scott. The results are convincing, but their records are more limited. Judging by what was in the fights section on the main board the last couple of seasons, we'll see "what would happen if Scott had done that when ____ was on the ice" will discussions pop up a lot.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:15 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
The body of work isn't huge, but it's not like his resume is devoid of heavies. He's gone with Reaves, Westgarth, and Staubitz. Who else does he need to drop them with to end the debate? Carkner? Thornton? Rupp? Bisnasty?

Agreed, but this is a debate that has surrounded both Chara and Scott. The results are convincing, but their records are more limited. Judging by what was in the fights section on the main board the last couple of seasons, we'll see "what would happen if Scott had done that when ____ was on the ice" will discussions pop up a lot.
Carkner, Thornton, Shelley, MacIntyre.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:40 PM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

I'm sure that he'll get his chance against Thornton. Shelley didn't look great last year. MacIntyre is certainly big, but played a dozen games without fighting once last year. I'm not sure what's up with Carkner. He was a beast in 09-10, and didn't play or fight much last year. Assuming that he won't have problems staying in the Isles lineup and that he doesn't have an injury, we'll probably get to see something there.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Dubi Doo

I'm looking up some of his fights now, and this is the first one I saw:

Damn. He can be effective.

Last edited by Chainshot: 07-18-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceky View Post

could it be that the side of you that loves the beautiful played game of hockey is in conflict with the more archaic side that just loves to finally see some sabres delivered knock-outs?
I love physical hockey. It's a contact sport and I'm a firm believer that it's easier to gain possession of the puck (or maintain it) if your opposite number is picking himself up off the ice time after time. It's a territorial game -- time and space are big factors and if someone like Scott gives some of the guys like Ott, Kaleta, Gerbe, and Weber a bit more confidence to go knock hell out of their check with a hit... I'm all that much happier.

The Muckler era teams were some bad, bad hombres. That era sticks out to me because they had some awesome skill guys but they had multiple guys who could chuck the mitts. Teams didn't **** with that era team, they knew the **** would meet the fan -- and this is pre-Nolan, he inherited the team Muckler put together and coached. There is a place for grace and skill and artistry.

And there is also a place for force, power, and the delivery of pain.

Old
07-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I'm looking up some of his fights now, and this is the first one I saw:

Damn. He can be effective.
Fixed that HTML for you.

People point to this as him not being able to handle someone though. *shrug* It's all about who can have the louder piddling contest I suppose.

Old
07-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I'm waiting to see training camp with him, Finley, Myers, and Austin all out there together.

Old
07-18-2012, 09:47 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Bet you would.

We'll take a Scott-Mccormick-Kaleta line and see how many Bruins push the Sabres on the top three lines around.
Bruins will play no different.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:26 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bruins will play no different.
Really ?

You think they will 'run Miller' then ?

Last edited by BUCKSHOT: 07-19-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: i need to be a better proofreader
BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote