HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bell Centre development area - Multiple towers to be built by 2015

Old
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
It is foreigners. Canada is a highly desirable place to be and there's 100,000s of millionaires trying to get in. The govt just froze the immigrant investor program (which fast tracks millionaires in) everywhere but Quebec for 6 months so they could deal with a huge backlog and streamline it going forward.

There is TONS of money lined up to get into Canada to support this real estate, and as the rest of the world turns to crap, its not gonna slow down anytime soon. People are really beating at the doors to get into the few primo places that are clean, economically sound and stable politically, Canada is on the short list with countries like Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Singapore, Norway, Sweden (note - all relatively small countries).

NOT a political statement, just neutral facts of the reality. Step back from the local politics for a minute, cuz in the worldwide picture Canada is relatively in GREAT SHAPE and lots of millionaires from a place like China are lined up to get out of the smogsoup of Beijing and live a nice clean place like Brossard cuz they see a better future here and for their kids than in China.
Right. It's no political, but like it or not, politics plays a role -- like you said, these investors like the political stability. A referendum means anything but stability.

Anyway, that's not my main point. My point is that locals will might one day no long afford to live in their own city. Also, one day, these foreigners might decide to cash in their gains and move to the next hot area in the world. Often, they all decide to do this at the same time.

I still can't see what benefits the ordinary locals may get out of this kinda of "boom". Sure, if you work in real estate, you'll be in heaven but what about the ordinary white-collar dude? Downtown, Brossard and other hot residential areas only accessible to rich foreigners. I don't know. Doesn't seem to be fair to me: locals kinda built this city just to see rich foreigners get the better part of it. Sure foreign money is a great boost for the economical development of a city -- otherwise growth may stagnate -- but there must be a control on the flow of incoming funds, especially the real estate kind.

Like someone else said, I prefer that companies set foot here than foreign real estate investors...

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:59 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
The real estate market prices keep on going up. I mean the cheapest condo you can buy now is near 200k, and that's not even a 4 1/2.

We have low mortgage rates ATM, but who knows what the rates will look like in 3-5 years. Imagine it goes up? your mortgage will go up!

Let's not forget that condo fees will most likely also go up, gas prices, food, etc

200k for a condo...I remember 10 years ago when you can buy a freaking house for 150k.

Times are hard man...
This is why I pay off an extra couple grand+ a year on my mortgage so that if the rates do skyrocket, I will have a huge chunk of it paid off.

At least these condo owners will have front row seats for any Habs related riots!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
200k for a condo...I remember 10 years ago when you can buy a freaking house for 150k.
Yeah. When I bought my house about 12-13 years ago in DDO it costed $110,000 (thankfully it's all paid off and everything as well)... Now you can't get anything nice without dishing out a ton of money...

Theosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
We all know about la Tour des Canadiens being built where the Centennial Plaza is located, but 4 more towers will be built near the Bell Centre by 2015.

The big parking lot facing the arena will house 3 new towers. The towers will be condos, restaurants, shopping mall and a luxurious hotel.

The Roccabella - 2 towers

http://roccabella.ca/

L'Avenue - 1 tower

http://f.tlcollect.com/fr2/312/50036...r.pdf?x=855222

There will also be another tower that will house office building of Deloitte right behind the Bell Centre.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=93283600

It's about time Montreal started building some new towers, especially near the Bell Centre, where the area was quite lacking in this department.

Bell Centre will look totally different in 3 years!
Have all of these got the approval from council?

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Bulis hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post

There are currently huge investments in retirement homes (some of them quite luxurious) and I believe its bound to failure. Baby boomers thrive liberty, they won't go close themselves up in glorified prisons until they are literally forced to.
Don't worry. They won't fail. The luxurious homes are basically assisted condos. As soon as the liberty seeking babyboomers can't afford to keep this lifestyle because of health issues, they will be willing to put te big buck to go in one of these intermediate ressources instead of CHSLD and other ressources.

As for CHSLD, there is a ton of demand already and it will just get heavier with the population getting older. Living in CHSLD isn't much about what you seek, but the help you need. If you can't take care of yourself anymore, it's just a matter of time, wheter you want it or not, you'll end up in a CHSLD.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:05 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

My retirement is still 20 years away, but my plan WAS to make our summers in Vancouver and winters in one of the modest condos I have in Florida.

Now... If I could get a condo in Montreal WITH great season tickets.. OMG

Golf and my beloved Habs.... Life couldn't be any sweeter.... Okay a few parades down St. Catherines

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:07 PM
deandebean

Good for Montreal. FINALLY, some real estate investment in the city. Man, I go to NYC every 2 weeks or so, and all I see is real estate investment all over. Good for Montreal. All the money had went to the burbs, particularly the Blainville-Rosemère/Brossard areas. Now, they need to charge to get to the island, just like NYC. It will have to come to this folks. Because nobody else is going to pay for the crumbling infrastructures.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Thing is, babyboomers won't be in retirement homes in 10-15 years. In fact some are still going to be working.

By definition the oldest baby boomers are currently 67 years old while the youngests are 37. They are not really close to filling retirement homes, especially since these are filled with the older generation and they don't particularily want to go play bingo with them so they're going to stay home as long as they can. Advances in healthcare mean this is postponed relative to aforementionned older generation.

There are currently huge investments in retirement homes (some of them quite luxurious) and I believe its bound to failure. Baby boomers thrive liberty, they won't go close themselves up in glorified prisons until they are literally forced to.
The youngest boomers are about 48-50 not 37. 32-46 is Gen X.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:24 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
The youngest boomers are about 48-50 not 37. 32-46 is Gen X.
Yep, I'm a Generation X, the forgotten generation.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:47 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
We all know about la Tour des Canadiens being built where the Centennial Plaza is located, but 4 more towers will be built near the Bell Centre by 2015.

The big parking lot facing the arena will house 3 new towers. The towers will be condos, restaurants, shopping mall and a luxurious hotel.

The Roccabella - 2 towers

http://roccabella.ca/

L'Avenue - 1 tower

http://f.tlcollect.com/fr2/312/50036...r.pdf?x=855222

There will also be another tower that will house office building of Deloitte right behind the Bell Centre.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=93283600

It's about time Montreal started building some new towers, especially near the Bell Centre, where the area was quite lacking in this department.

Bell Centre will look totally different in 3 years!
As an architect now working overseas, I can tell you guys that that is some nasty, cheap second rate design, all of it. Montreal deserves better.

Long gone are the days of great work like Place Ville Marie and CIBC tower, obviously.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Yep, I'm a Generation X, the forgotten generation.
You had Kurt Cobain, we have Bieber and Lady Gaga, stop complaining.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Yeah. When I bought my house about 12-13 years ago in DDO it costed $110,000 (thankfully it's all paid off and everything as well)... Now you can't get anything nice without dishing out a ton of money...
Jee and I bought a great condo under 200k 2 mins away from a metro close to downtown. It's not impossible!

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Anyone else feels that inflation is just not adding up to the meteoric rise of real estate prices in Montreal? That would explain the foreign money coming in. Kind of sad if you ask me.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Don't forget the Icone towers

http://iconecondos.com/

Also the 40 floor overdale is proposed a couple blocks west

http://www.mtlurb.com/forums/showthr...8Elot-Overdale

Last edited by Spectaculard: 07-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay Zubban View Post
Don't forget the Icone towers

http://iconecondos.com/

Also the 40 floor overdale is proposed a couple blocks west

http://www.mtlurb.com/forums/showthr...8Elot-Overdale
Man thats an ugly building. The inside looks nice though.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:09 PM
DumFries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
Man thats an ugly building. The inside looks nice though.
Well, I work for the promoter of these towers. Yet, I can't seem to get a job in my field of engineering. How ironic.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Jee and I bought a great condo under 200k 2 mins away from a metro close to downtown. It's not impossible!
Recently? 2 bedrooms? Really nice if so!

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalsix View Post
Is anyone else worried that there are way too many condo's sprouting up all over the island of Montreal?
Why is that worrisome? It's a good thing especially for young buyers.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
Anyone else feels that inflation is just not adding up to the meteoric rise of real estate prices in Montreal? That would explain the foreign money coming in. Kind of sad if you ask me.
Hopefully the govt will pass a law prohibiting foreigners from buying residences in Canada like they did in Australia in order to keep prices lower. The Chinese like to come and here buy all our condos at prices Canadians can't compete with and then rent to us at ridiculous prices. See Toronto and Vancouver as examples.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Recently? 2 bedrooms? Really nice if so!
3 years ago, 5 1/2. First place we visited too.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:54 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Expect a PM when I start condo/house hunting.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

Old
07-19-2012, 09:10 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
hahahah I lol'ed

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:15 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
Well, I work for the promoter of these towers. Yet, I can't seem to get a job in my field of engineering. How ironic.
You have to give money for the Liberal party and Jean Charest to get it

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote