HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 12:09 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiggins27 View Post
I'm not a Preds fan by any means, but I'd like to know the fans thought on this: Do you think Nashville may actually be better off taking the compensation of four 1st round picks? Considering he signed an offer sheet, Weber may not be as loyal to Nashville as some may think, and four 1st round picks is a lot of value.
No, the Preds would not be better off taking the compensation.

The offer sheet really doesn't mean much in terms of "loyalty". Weber knows that Nashville can match, and that they probably will. It just means that this is the contract that he wanted. Now he has it.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Nashville was working on a trade and its believed several deadlines passed before Flyers grew tired of waiting. Weber signed offer sheet.

Well apparently they were looking to trade him.

And they should match. 4 first round picks for a guy who's probably the best defensemen after Lidstrom retired? Pathetic. He's also your captain and best player. And you just lost Suter.

Old
Top 6 Spaling

Only time will tell i guess. I HIGHLY doubt Weber wants to be here.

Old
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Do you not comprehend that Weber has basically given the preds the middle finger? By signing this contract, not only does that prohibit us from trading him for a package we want, but it means our captain doesn't want to be in Nashville. Not only that, but if we match, we aren't allowed to trade him for an entire year as per the current CBA and I don't see that changing in the next one. Why would we want to match an offer that obviously suggests Weber doesn't want to stay here? Before anyone comes up with a dumber idea about Weber maybe wanting Poile to match this, he would've signed a contract in the first place.

This was the absolute worst case scenario.
Of we sign him, we don't want to trade him. This is a great deal for us.

Last edited by TMI: 07-19-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Only time will tell i guess. I HIGHLY doubt Weber wants to be here.
Which is why he went into arbitration last year. I have a feeling Suter is behind this. He probably told Weber to hold off a long term deal with Nashville since his best bud is jumping ship.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:12 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Please match it! If he goes to the Flyers, that would suck for us the Devils! Not that you guys should care about the Devils, but still.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
Of we sign him, we don't want to trade him. This is a great deal for us.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Guys, Weber just agreed to a contract with another team. We were trying to trade him before that. Weber. does. not. want. to. play. here.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Which is why he went into arbitration last year. I have a feeling Suter is behind this. He probably told Weber to hold off a long term deal with Nashville since his best bud is jumping ship.
Weber did not choose arbitration last season; the Predators did ...

Old
07-19-2012, 12:13 AM
CrazyJ

vCash: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiggins27 View Post
I'm not a Preds fan by any means, but I'd like to know the fans thought on this: Do you think Nashville may actually be better off taking the compensation of four 1st round picks? Considering he signed an offer sheet, Weber may not be as loyal to Nashville as some may think, and four 1st round picks is a lot of value.
I think Philly would be quite good with Weber (obvious since they are already a good team) which takes the value of the picks down. I would assume Nashville to match, and if Weber doesn't want him there then they will have their choice of where to trade him, and more importantly, what to trade him for.

Seems like an odd decision from him, he must have really bought into this need to sign a career long contract and give up all his future flexibility as to where he plays. I figured that Weber being as good as he is would come out ahead not signing one of these contracts, barring injury of course. Look at what Selanie is making this year at 42 years old... a five year 40 mil would have made more sense to me.

Maybe this is the type of contract he wanted all along with Nashville and wasn't getting the offers he wanted, now Poille has no choice - pay up, or lose him.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:14 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Guys, Weber just agreed to a contract with another team. We were trying to trade him before that. Weber. does. not. want. to. play. here.
We basically got weber for Suter money. We would have been crazy not to offer this or similar contract ourself. I think we're good.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Weber structure's got to be similar to Suter. If it's true ‪#Preds‬ was willing to go that route w Suter, they'll match, or it'll be crippling
http://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/225820643789271040

Old
07-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Noreaster96

I gotta say the thought of losing weber and suter would kill me if I was a preds fan... If there's really a problem between him and Nashville you have to match the offe rand then trade him. You could def get better value than 4 most likely late 1st round picks for a signed weber... From an Isles point of view I'd Offer our next four firsts in a heartbeat for a signed weber and thatd more than likely be better than the flyers four

Last edited by Noreaster96: 07-19-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old
07-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
We basically got weber for Suter money. We would have been crazy not to offer this or similar contract ourself. I think we're good.
That's the point! We offered Weber a contract like this, and he signed Philly's instead of ours!

Old
07-19-2012, 12:18 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

We wil match. Poile has no choice but to match. If Poile doesn't match, then he better offer sheet all of philly's good players in the coming years.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Suter x 20

Wow....why...why....why...why....

Pujols leaves, Suter leaves, Weber next? I'm having a bad year with sports.

I don't understand why...So frustrating frig

Old
07-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Poile will match, as he should. I think he matches and trades Weber in exactly a year.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:19 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
That's the point! We offered Weber a contract like this, and he signed Philly's instead of ours!
So evidently he was happy to play in either Nashville or Philly for mextb14 years or he would have never signed it. And why wouldn't he if it was a couple of million more?

Old
07-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:

Maybe it wasn't identical in structure (front-loaded, bonuses... while these are still allowed).

I was thinking Weber would have waited but maybe after seeing what the NHL proposed for the new CBA (term limits, 10 yrs to UFA, no bonuses, no frontloading), his agent maybe convinced him he couldn't afford to wait until next year.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Poile will match, as he should. I think he matches and trades Weber in exactly a year.

I think so too. If the money really is a problem for ownership, they will have no problem finding trading partners.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
So evidently he was happy to play in either Nashville or Philly for mextb14 years or he would have never signed it. And why wouldn't he if it was a couple of million more?
If Weber wanted to stay here, why was Poile trying to trade him?

Old
07-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Predsboro

Seth Lake put it well:

If the Preds match the offer sheet, they cannot trade him for a year. If he wanted out 100%, then he would've signed a 1 yr deal & be done.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:23 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
This is what I think will happen.

Weber kind of looks like an ass in this to be honest. He MUST know you guys will match the offer and he will be locked into a place he "allegedly) does not want to be. All he had to do was play out the year and go where ever he wants.

Honestly, this is the best thing that could have happened for you guys. Match the offer, he plays the year. Maybe he decides to stay but if he goes to Poile and says "I want out" you have a Norris caliber defenseman, who's young and locked up for life to a deal that is not that bad. HUGE chip for Poile to play.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Snipeshow

I'm not 100% up to date with Nashville's financial situation. I know they were willing to spend to show Weber and Suter, they want to win and will spend money to do so.

But would a contract with say, for example, $20M in each of the first 2 seasons + signing bonuses or some **** for Weber make it difficult for Poile and the Preds to match? Or is this going to be a no-brainer match situation, regardless.

I mean, you gotta figure anything 8M or under is an easy match under normal circumstances. It's the trickiness of the contract that makes me wonder if there is any chance Weber is not a Pred next season.

I 100% want you guys to match. First Radulov, though semi-expected it's tough to lose that talent, along with Suter, I couldn't even imagine to feel the pain you guys will feel if you lose Weber too.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Problem is guys, Weber signed with another team. Doesn't really matter if we match it or not. He wanted to go to another team. No amount of matching will change that. Our captain signed with another team.

This isn't a Sakic situation as Colorado had a ton of roster decisions to make as they had a hall of fame lineup. We do not.

This is exactly the kind of thing I have been warning about for over a year.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
Seth Lake put it well:

If the Preds match the offer sheet, they cannot trade him for a year. If he wanted out 100%, then he would've signed a 1 yr deal & be done.
This could be true, but at the same time, maybe he was afraid 14 year deals, frontloaded, would be banned in the new CBA, so he needed a contract now. Not saying either is right, just playing Devils advocate.

Closed Thread