HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I'm not 100% up to date with Nashville's financial situation. I know they were willing to spend to show Weber and Suter, they want to win and will spend money to do so.

But would a contract with say, for example, $20M in each of the first 2 seasons + signing bonuses or some **** for Weber make it difficult for Poile and the Preds to match? Or is this going to be a no-brainer match situation, regardless.

I mean, you gotta figure anything 8M or under is an easy match under normal circumstances. It's the trickiness of the contract that makes me wonder if there is any chance Weber is not a Pred next season.

I 100% want you guys to match. First Radulov, though semi-expected it's tough to lose that talent, along with Suter, I couldn't even imagine to feel the pain you guys will feel if you lose Weber too.
I think they will match considering they were willing to pay that for Suter.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

As a Rangers fan and Preds fan, I'm on my knees begging you, PLEASE DO NOT PUT THIS MAN IN MY DIVISION!!!!!

Old
07-19-2012, 12:28 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400969

Old
07-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Problem is guys, Weber signed with another team. Doesn't really matter if we match it or not. He wanted to go to another team. No amount of matching will change that. Our captain signed with another team.

This isn't a Sakic situation as Colorado had a ton of roster decisions to make as they had a hall of fame lineup. We do not.

This is exactly the kind of thing I have been warning about for over a year.
I wouldn't be overly concerned about this. Players that want to win, want to win - period. They'll play hard wherever they are. Scott Stevens signed a RFA contract to try to get out of NJ, remember, and he was our captain at the time too. Granted, it was negotiated illegally and we made St. Louis pay through the nose for trying it, but we still matched it and there was never a change in his play.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:30 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Problem is guys, Weber signed with another team. Doesn't really matter if we match it or not. He wanted to go to another team. No amount of matching will change that. Our captain signed with another team.

This isn't a Sakic situation as Colorado had a ton of roster decisions to make as they had a hall of fame lineup. We do not.

This is exactly the kind of thing I have been warning about for over a year.
Imagine this Preds offer was 18 mil up front singing bonus and Phillis was 25 and that's the only difference, he "signs" with Philly to force Nashville to give more up front, at end of 14 years it's all the same. What sucks is if we give him 9mil in 1st year then he demands a trade.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
Imagine this Preds offer was 18 mil up front singing bonus and Phillis was 25 and that's the only difference, he "signs" with Philly to force Nashville to give more up front, at end of 14 years it's all the same. What sucks is if we give him 9mil in 1st year then he demands a trade.
Same question I posed to you earlier. If Weber wanted to stay and just wanted more money, why were we trying to trade him?

Old
07-19-2012, 12:34 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Same question I posed to you earlier. If Weber wanted to stay and just wanted more money, why were we trying to trade him?
What's the source on the trade rumors? Honestly Poile plays his cards pretty close to the vest as far as the rumors are concerned. And ou don't think Poole wanted to make an inddormed decision and know what people were offering? It's a business.If weber had a big problem playing here he would have waited out the trade and a ever signed this contract, that would have been terrible for him.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:34 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Guys, Weber just agreed to a contract with another team. We were trying to trade him before that. Weber. does. not. want. to. play. here.
Even if that is true, and we dont know that for sure, so what? Match the offer sheet and you could get a boat load next summer for a signed Weber. Much better than trying to trade a pending ufa Weber.

Easy decision for the Preds, although the first year is going to be a huge financial hit, but ownership has been saying they are willing to spend money, at least that's what Preds fans have been telling me.

This is a good test to see if that is really true or not.

If they dont sign and take the picks, then it is dark days for the Preds.

Could a Rinne trade demand be far behind?

I think it will work out in the Preds favour, but they have to match.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
What's the source on the trade rumors? Honestly Poile plays his cards pretty close to the vest as far as the rumors are concerned. And ou don't think Poole wanted to make an inddormed decision and know what people were offering? It's a business.If weber had a big problem playing here he would have waited out the trade and a ever signed this contract, that would have been terrible for him.
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...17338795155456

Same guy who broke the trade. works for TSN. They aren't rumors, they are confirmed.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Even if that is true, and we dont know that for sure, so what? Match the offer sheet and you could get a boat load next summer for a signed Weber. Much better than trying to trade a pending ufa Weber.

Easy decision for the Preds, although the first year is going to be a huge financial hit, but ownership has been saying they are willing to spend money, at least that's what Preds fans have been telling me.

This is a good test to see if that is really true or not.

If they dont sign and take the picks, then it is dark days for the Preds.

Could a Rinne trade demand be far behind?

I think it will work out in the Preds favour, but they have to match.
Oh, I 110% agree that we need to match. I just am saying that fans who think this is no big deal aren't be reasonable IMO.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Good question ... however we're all speculating on reports we're reading. We don't really know the details of the "trade" report.

104.5 reported they felt something would go down on TH ... hmmm they were pretty close ... from what Poile had said. Poile had reportedly said that if Weber didn't sign the long term offer, the Predators would have to start listening to trade offers.

Was Poile actively shopping Weber? Or were teams calling GMDP with offers that he was not ready to explore? We have no way of knowing.

I think we match ... but I thought Poile would get Suter signed as well.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:37 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...17338795155456

Same guy who broke the trade. works for TSN. They aren't rumors, they are confirmed.
Gain working trades, and willing to trade are different. Where was he on the gill trade? Ullivan trade? Guested trade? Seriously why would weber sign this if he had no interest n playing here? Seriously?

Old
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
If Nashville couldn't get a "discount" contract, they wouldn't be doing anything out of the ordinary to at least see what value there was out there for him before signing him to the full value deal.

Obviously there wasn't a match on the trade front yet, so all this really did was close the chapter on that.

Old
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

He'll be in Nashville don't you folks worry, in fact Holmgrem made Poile's job easy for him, I think that is a solid cap hit for a guy like Weber. The term is a little too much but I guess it's a necessary evil.

Old
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Guys, we will match. And what if we don't prove to be very good this year and Weber wants out? Then we trade a SIGNED Weber for a huge package of players. Poile HAS to sign this. If he doesn't, he better be fired immediately.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:39 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

This made David Poile's job easier than he ever could. If we don't match, he needs to be fired immediately.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Guys, we will match. And what if we don't prove to be very good this year and Weber wants out? Then we trade a SIGNED Weber for a huge package of players. Poile HAS to sign this. If he doesn't, he better be fired immediately.
This. I am upset about this, but I will be 1000000 times more upset if we don't match it.

I am confident Poile will. He won't make the Stevens mistake...again.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:40 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I imagine whatever action Poile takes, it will be the wishes of ownership. They would be the one's making the call on something like this.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiggins27 View Post
I'm not a Preds fan by any means, but I'd like to know the fans thought on this: Do you think Nashville may actually be better off taking the compensation of four 1st round picks? Considering he signed an offer sheet, Weber may not be as loyal to Nashville as some may think, and four 1st round picks is a lot of value.
Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet too.

I may be getting too into conspiracies, but do you guys think this is Weber forcing Poile's hand? If this is all it took for Nashville to lock him up, wouldn't this have been done long ago? To me it looks like Weber saying "either you're paying me what I want or Philadelphia is paying me what I want." Maybe Poile didn't want to offer the term he wanted?

Old
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
This made David Poile's job easier than he ever could. If we don't match, he needs to be fired immediately.
That's what i'm saying. Some people are freaking out, and rightfully so, but the ball is in our court. All we do is match and he is ours for life. How hard is that to understand? Now we will find out how serious the ownership is about spending money. If we refuse to match, I refuse to renew season tickets from now on. Pretty simple for me.

Old
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Spaling, you guys are in a good position now. You get to keep webber and I think he'll stay there a long time. If he still does want out, you get an even better deal than a deal you would have gotten for 1 year of webber. I wouldn't be offended that he signed an offersheet. It's business, that's all. David Backes signed a 3 year offer sheet with Vancouver. Nobody was worried that he wanted out of st. Louis. In a few years nobody will really even think about how he got the contract. Congrats Nashville. Glad you get to keep him or at the least take your time in working out a trade in the future. I do think he'll stay though or at least I hope so.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Top 6 Spaling

This may not be the end of the world, but it sure isn't a positive thing. Yes, Poile's job is "easier" because the contract is negotiated, but I do think Weber wants out. We match, keep him for a year, then trade him ASAP for a "one-trade retool" level package.

Dream scenario: CBA takes out the 1 year rule and we can trade him right away.

Old
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
the offer sheet is often used a leverage ... doesn't necessarily mean he wants out. If he definitely wanted out he'd sign his one year tender to make it to free agency next season.

If Nashville stands behind "we'll match any offer sheet," as stated above, Poile's job is easy. Match it and Shea finishes his career in Nashville ... (unless he's traded down the road)
Keep him for a year, then trade him to the Penguins for 4 1st round picks. Likely not the best you can get, but would be a hilarious "screw you" to the Flyers for putting this on you guys.

Realistically, you gotta keep Weber. Teams will still trade a lot for him. He'll be great for many years, and probably still effective at the end of the term.

Old
AZcoyotes33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
No, the Preds would not be better off taking the compensation.

The offer sheet really doesn't mean much in terms of "loyalty". Weber knows that Nashville can match, and that they probably will. It just means that this is the contract that he wanted. Now he has it.
If this is the case, why not just negotiate this contract without going through this process? If he really wanted 14 years in NSH im sure the two sides could eventually figure something out without putting such strain on the organization like this.

All in all i hope he stays in NSH because I enjoy going to watch the games best players here in the western conference.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet too.

I may be getting too into conspiracies, but do you guys think this is Weber forcing Poile's hand? If this is all it took for Nashville to lock him up, wouldn't this have been done long ago? To me it looks like Weber saying "either you're paying me what I want or Philadelphia is paying me what I want." Maybe Poile didn't want to offer the term he wanted?
Yes, to the Rangers. I was 6 but I remember it like it was yersterday.

Closed Thread