Notices

The Hockey World Turns Up the Heat V

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
They need to match, but man is that going to be a lot of money and a big cap hit. Nashville has no one to blame for this but themselves. They didn't want to pay Weber last summer and they took their sweet time this summer. If this is a case of Weber just wanting out of Nashville then Poile should have identified that issue last summer and made a trade before it reached this point. Nashville has done a terrible job dealing with new contracts for Suter and Weber and they are paying for it.
This fits Nashville's MO of keeping the team cheap but competitive. Having 4 extra 1sts will keep them rolling in ELCs for next 7 years.

I don't think they'll match this offersheet.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Brand New Stars

vCash: 500
Match it and trade him then. Four very late 1sts is an awful return for a Top 3 defenseman in the NHL.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Match it and trade him then. Four very late 1sts is an awful return for a Top 3 defenseman in the NHL.
You cannot trade someone who has signed an offer sheet for one year.

Those firsts may or may not be 20-30.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Please don't match it Nashville. Get Weber out of the WC and ship him out East.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
You cannot trade someone who has signed an offer sheet for one year.

Those firsts may or may not be 20-30.
Then trade him in a year. Those picks would almost certainly be very late. Philly is already very good without Weber. With him, they'd be scary.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:52 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Holmgren has a gambling addiction.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:15 AM
Sports
bedroom eyes

vCash: 50
I guess this means Pronger is done?

EDIT: On a somewhat related note, Bryz is such a good interview.

Last edited by Sports: 07-19-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 04:47 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Then trade him in a year. Those picks would almost certainly be very late. Philly is already very good without Weber. With him, they'd be scary.
I think the signing bonuses could bring the deal close to $26 million for a year.

For a team like Nashville, that's a lot of cash to drop just to get a better trade value next season. This is essentially a modern NHL poison pill. We'll see if Nashville swallows it.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:15 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I think the signing bonuses could bring the deal close to $26 million for a year.

For a team like Nashville, that's a lot of cash to drop just to get a better trade value next season. This is essentially a modern NHL poison pill. We'll see if Nashville swallows it.
The maximum annual salary next year is $14M. That includes signing bonuses.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
The maximum annual salary next year is $14M. That includes signing bonuses.
It works out to be around $28 million in the calendar year. They can't trade him for 365 days, that's after the July 1st signing bonus would kick in next season.

It all works out that Nashville would be on the hook for around 25% of the total contract for 1 year of actual hockey playing.

It's being discussed at length in the main forums if you're interested, I'm not the source of this, I trust guys who are more into this sort of number crunching.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:38 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

You're absolutely right.

However, clearly trading him after one year is not an option, but what's stopping NSH from just matching it and keeping him for 14 years instead?

I saw a lot of crying from NSH fans that this was a sign of "disloyalty" or whatever, but to me it seems like a Weber is willing to commit his future to either PHI or NSH. He must understand that he does not get the final say in where he plays with this contract, right? And if not, surely his agent has explained it to him.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:48 AM
Bench
Realgud!

The only thing that would stop Nashville from matching and keeping him is if he made it clear he wants out.

But who knows, maybe this was simply a way to force Nashville's hand and he stays and has a nice career there.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
The only thing that would stop Nashville from matching and keeping him is if he made it clear he wants out.

But who knows, maybe this was simply a way to force Nashville's hand and he stays and has a nice career there.
If he didn't want out, he wouldn't have signed an offer sheet to play elsewhere.

Nashville waited too long to capitalize on Shea's tremendous value. Now they'll have to settle for four 1sts as a replacement, because I wouldn't want to pay someone that much if he's not interested in sticking around.

07-19-2012, 08:13 AM
English stars fan

I bet they match though. Losing Suter and Weber in the same offseason would be brutal

Old
07-19-2012, 10:03 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Something seems off about this whole thing. It's especially strange considering the strong relationship between the Philly and Nashville front offices. It's almost like Nashville wanted to get him signed to a long-term deal, but couldn't, so they asked Philly to do it for them and now they'll just match... don't know. Weber must not think they're financially capable of matching?

Either way I'm glad to see a big offer sheet. It's a tool that doesn't get used nearly enough.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

Nashville waited too long to capitalize on Shea's tremendous value. Now they'll have to settle for four 1sts as a replacement, because I wouldn't want to pay someone that much if he's not interested in sticking around.
They put off signing Suter and they lost him. They put off signing Weber and now they'll either lose him or pay through the nose for him. Poile has been awful the past two summers. I feel bad for Nashville fans, the Predaotors organization has put themselves in this situation. Why would you mess around with signing one of the top defensemen in the entire league?

Old
07-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Something seems off about this whole thing. It's especially strange considering the strong relationship between the Philly and Nashville front offices. It's almost like Nashville wanted to get him signed to a long-term deal, but couldn't, so they asked Philly to do it for them and now they'll just match... don't know. Weber must not think they're financially capable of matching?

Either way I'm glad to see a big offer sheet. It's a tool that doesn't get used nearly enough.
How about you wait until Benn is signed to say that?

Old
07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Dr GLU

I bet Nashville matches because there's no way they reach the cap floor otherwise (even if it drops due to the new CBA).

They're only missing a few roster spots, rarely overpay anybody, and there's not much out there on the market anyway.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
How about you wait until Benn is signed to say that?
I'll say the same thing if Benn is offer sheeted. And there will be no excuse for not matching.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I'll say the same thing if Benn is offer sheeted. And there will be no excuse for not matching.
If somebody tried to pay Benn over 10m a year I'd say goodbye to Jamie. Offersheets are a tool I ****ing hate. they need to increase the amount of trades, not stealing players from other teams just because you have the cash.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
If somebody tried to pay Benn over 10m a year I'd say goodbye to Jamie. Offersheets are a tool I ****ing hate. they need to increase the amount of trades, not stealing players from other teams just because you have the cash.
If someone offers Jamie a 15 year $150 million dollar contract, we better match that. You guys have to remember, by the last half of these deals, $7-10 million caphit may be the average for a very good player.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:57 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Quote:
If he didn't want out, he wouldn't have signed an offer sheet to play elsewhere.
I don't see the logic here.

He could have signed elsewhere because another team offered him the terms that he was hoping for from Nashville. If he wanted out, he would have signed a shorter deal with Nashville to take him to UFA, and still allow them to trade him within the year. Signing a 14 year offer sheet is not a great way to leave your team because the worse case scenario for you is you're stuck there for 14 years.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

He wanted to get his big lifetime contract in before the CBA. Nashville doesn't have the kind of money to plunk down on 50 million in a year.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:

I have to disagree with this, if he really wanted out of Nashville he would have signed a 1 year deal and hit the market next year instead of signing a deal that could leave him in Nashville for the next 14 years

Old
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
I have to disagree with this, if he really wanted out of Nashville he would have signed a 1 year deal and hit the market next year instead of signing a deal that could leave him in Nashville for the next 14 years
That's if Nashville decides to match.

Weber was crushed by Nashville's inability (or unwillingness?) to sign his long-time partner Ryan Suter.

Nashville was also trying to deal Weber at the time of his signing the offer sheet, so I'm confident that both sides are looking for a clean break.

Been thinking today, though; what would it be like around here had it been GM Joe who floated that same offer sheet towards Shea? It's not like we can't afford him, and adding Weber makes us instant contenders. Not part of Gagliardi's game plan, I guess, or perhaps Weber's camp told the Stars not to bother.

Closed Thread