HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 12:43 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
I'll just add that I think Weber will be announced as having a 14 year deal with the Preds very soon. The owners, gm, franchise as a whole will be severly be affected by this decision. They better not **** around.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Predsboro

Funny comment on twitter ... this is Holmgren paying Poile back for the Scott Hartnell deal ... lol

Old
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
This may not be the end of the world, but it sure isn't a positive thing. Yes, Poile's job is "easier" because the contract is negotiated, but I do think Weber wants out. We match, keep him for a year, then trade him ASAP for a "one-trade retool" level package.

Dream scenario: CBA takes out the 1 year rule and we can trade him right away.
You are blowing this up. Weber decided between two teams, and said loud and clear he is ok playing the next 14 years here. Why would ou want tomtradenthe best d,an in the league now when we have hom signed? Webern would have NOT signed this if he truly 100% wanted out of Nashville.

Old
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Spaling, you guys are in a good position now. You get to keep webber and I think he'll stay there a long time. If he still does want out, you get an even better deal than a deal you would have gotten for 1 year of webber. I wouldn't be offended that he signed an offersheet. It's business, that's all. David Backes signed a 3 year offer sheet with Vancouver. Nobody was worried that he wanted out of st. Louis. In a few years nobody will really even think about how he got the contract. Congrats Nashville. Glad you get to keep him or at the least take your time in working out a trade in the future. I do think he'll stay though or at least I hope so.
Exactly, this isn't the end of the world .... yet.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:46 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Guys, we will match. And what if we don't prove to be very good this year and Weber wants out? Then we trade a SIGNED Weber for a huge package of players. Poile HAS to sign this. If he doesn't, he better be fired immediately.
I know this may not be popular opinion but this may be out of Poiles hands what if it is so front loaded and the bonus structure isn't something that ownership is comfortable paying? Poile may not have a choice.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Predsboro

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Its going to be fascinating to see financial terms of Weber's offer sheet. Hearing in one calendar year, he could make $26 mil.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
You are blowing this up. Weber decided between two teams, and said loud and clear he is ok playing the next 14 years here. Why would ou want tomtradenthe best d,an in the league now when we have hom signed? Webern would have NOT signed this if he truly 100% wanted out of Nashville.
I dont understand this logic at all. How is him singing in Philly saying he wants to play long-term here?

Yes, I know that he could have signed a 1 year deal, but with the CBA about to be changed and a banning of long-term deals and frontloading likely, he HAD to get it signed this off-season, so he couldn't sign for 1 year and wait.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Deebo

For those saying Poile should be fired if he doesn't match, I think the only way he doesn't match is if ownership doesn't allow him to match. He would obviously want to match, but you can't really fire a guy because he didn't do something you didn't allow him to do.

Last edited by Deebo: 07-19-2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Stupid auto correct.
Old
07-19-2012, 12:50 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Yes, to the Rangers. I was 6 but I remember it like it was yersterday.
And I thanked Colorado for doing matching.

Then he killed us in 2001.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:51 AM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Quote:
I dont understand this logic at all. How is him singing in Philly saying he wants to play long-term here?

Yes, I know that he could have signed a 1 year deal, but with the CBA about to be changed and a banning of long-term deals and frontloading likely, he HAD to get it signed this off-season, so he couldn't sign for 1 year and wait.
He's certainly not saying it directly, but he knows full well he's putting the situation completely in Poile's control.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:51 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcoyotes33 View Post
If this is the case, why not just negotiate this contract without going through this process? If he really wanted 14 years in NSH im sure the two sides could eventually figure something out without putting such strain on the organization like this.

All in all i hope he stays in NSH because I enjoy going to watch the games best players here in the western conference.
Weber's rights weren't going anywhere even if the contract wasn't settled yet. Poile could take all the time he wanted to explore trade options before negotiating that deal. It's possible he could have even waited until after the new CBA went into effect, which I'm sure Weber didn't want to happen.

All this did was put the contract timeline on Weber's schedule, not Poile's.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:53 AM
randymc2641

Quote:

I never said he would be happier in Nashville than Philly, I said he would be happy in EITHER place. Do you understand the way RFA works? He's not their property because he signed an OFFER SHEET with a team. It's kinda forcing our hand, and saying he's ok with either offer. If he wanted out he wouldn't have signed it and forced us to trade him to Philly...get it? I know he had to sing this year, couldn't do a one or two year deal, sucks for him to have a birthday after July 1.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:53 AM
Predsboro

Quote:

I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.
Interesting thought ... Holmgren knew NYR, Detroit and SJ were after Weber in trade, so he decided to pre-empt them with the Offer Sheet.

Interesting thought 2 ... wonder how Vancouver fans are taking this? They already had him in a Canuck uniform. Probably can ask the same about Detroit fans since all UFA/RFA want to wear the winged wheel.

Also, W. Brett Wilson has tweeted that he is aware of the Weber info ...

Old
07-19-2012, 12:54 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Weber's rights weren't going anywhere even if the contract wasn't settled yet. Poile could take all the time he wanted to explore trade options before negotiating that deal. It's possible he could have even waited until after the new CBA went into effect, which I'm sure Weber didn't want to happen.

All this did was put the contract timeline on Weber's schedule, not Poile's.
Exactly

Old
07-19-2012, 12:54 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

The only positive outlook on this for everyone is that Weber will ALSO not be a Wing.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:58 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post

Its going to be fascinating to see financial terms of Weber's offer sheet. Hearing in one calendar year, he could make $26 mil.
I assumed Philly would do this. Can Nashville afford to pay Weber 26 million in a single year? If he does want to leave Nashville and you are forced to trade Weber after a year, will your owner accept paying 26 million for a year of Weber to maybe get a better trade package than 4 1st round picks?

Tough time to be a preds fan.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
I never said he would be happier in Nashville than Philly, I said he would be happy in EITHER place. Do you understand the way RFA works? He's not their property because he signed an OFFER SHEET with a team. It's kinda forcing our hand, and saying he's ok with either offer. If he wanted out he wouldn't have signed it and forced us to trade him to Philly...get it? I know he had to sing this year, couldn't do a one or two year deal, sucks for him to have a birthday after July 1.
Yes, I know how RFA works. I am well aware that we can match and keep Weber here. What I am saying is that I don't think he wants to be here. If he did, why were we trying to trade him? We offered him a huge deal, why didn't he sign ours instead of Phillys?

Weber had no choice but to put this is Poile's hands. Dreger said "deadlines" had passed. I think Weber wanted his long-term deal and was getting antsy about the new CBA, so he told Poile "Trade me by July 19th or I'm signing an offer sheet." Poile didn't. Weber signed an offer sheet. If Weber thought he could get a long-term deal in Philly without giving Nashville a chance to match, he would have.

Dreger now says one calendar year of the deal gives him 26 million dollars. If Weber wanted Nashville to match, he wouldn't sign a contract that purposely targets our small market nature to try and get us to not match it. Make no mistake, he wants to go to Philadelphia.

That said, we should match this deal. It is not the end of the world. I am saying simply that Shea wants out, not that his leaving spells the end for us. We match and trade him for a kings ransom in a year. He goes to Philly on his long-term deal, we get a monster return.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
I assumed Philly would do this. Can Nashville afford to pay Weber 26 million in a single year? If he does want to leave Nashville and you are forced to trade Weber after a year, will your owner accept paying 26 million for a year of Weber to maybe get a better trade package than 4 1st round picks?

Tough time to be a preds fan.
There is no doubt in my mind the $26 mil is on year one. I could see ownership saying "So you want us to pay $24mil for a player who just signed a contract with another team and you're going to trade in a year when you can get 4 first rounders for him? yeah right!"

I hope they dont, but you never know.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Blueshirt Believer

I can't imagine Predators are not going to match that. Well the good news is that you have a way to officially keep Weber forever now.

That contract was about what Weber was going to get from the Predators anyway.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

**** Yea!!!!!!

All that's needed is a simple match by Poile and Weber is a Pred for life! You better not find a way to screw this up Poile!

Oh damn I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight

Old
07-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
**** Yea!!!!!!

All that's needed is a simple match by Poile and Weber is a Pred for life! You better not find a way to screw this up Poile!

Oh damn I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight
Yeah, a Weber that doesn't want to play here. Woo.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:04 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind the $26 mil is on year one. I could see ownership saying "So you want us to pay $24mil for a player who just signed a contract with another team and you're going to trade in a year when you can get 4 first rounders for him? yeah right!"

I hope they dont, but you never know.
If Poile wanted to trade him, and he would be under absolutely no obligation to do so, I'm sure he could get a better return than 4 late 1st round picks for 13 years of Weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:04 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

Does Philly have any rfa's right now? Would be great to see poile snap back with an offersheet of his own...

Old
07-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Yeah, a Weber that doesn't want to play here. Woo.
Huh? If you think that then you don't understand how offer sheets work. They are purely about $$. If he wanted out this is the worst method of doing it.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
If Poile wanted to trade him, and he would be under absolutely no obligation to do so, I'm sure he could get a better return than 4 late 1st round picks for 13 years of Weber.
I know he could, but ownership is going to see this as 4 1st round picks+26 million dollars or the later return.

I absolutely think we should and will match this deal, dont get me wrong.

Closed Thread