HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 01:06 AM
randymc2641

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
I assumed Philly would do this. Can Nashville afford to pay Weber 26 million in a single year? If he does want to leave Nashville and you are forced to trade Weber after a year, will your owner accept paying 26 million for a year of Weber to maybe get a better trade package than 4 1st round picks?

Tough time to be a preds fan.
Aid we had to do that. A signed 13 year weber will get MUCH more than 4 20-30 picks, and the contract is in the 2 firsts a second and a third range too.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:07 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Yeah, a Weber that doesn't want to play here. Woo.
Even if that were true, and it's hardly a guarantee that it is, it only matters if Weber tanks it on the ice/is a cancer in the lockerroom/hurts the team in some other significant way as a result of that displeasure.

Does that honestly sound like Shea Weber to you?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Huh? If you think that then you don't understand how offer sheets work. They are purely about $$. If he wanted out this is the worst method of doing it.
For about the fifth time tonight....

Yes, we can match. But...

1. Weber was in trade talks, meaning Poile knew Weber was unlikely to sign here.

2. Weber's deal apparently carries $26mil in one year, meaning he signed a contract specifically designed to make it as tough as possible for us to match.

3. Yes, he didn't sign a 1 year deal, but it is very likely that is only becuase 14 year deals will be banned in the new CBA, so he had to get it done now.

If Weber was not being shopped and had signed a deal that was reasonable for us to match, not 26 mil in 1 year, I would feel 100 times better.

Still, we match for sure.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Even if that were true, and it's hardly a guarantee that it is, it only matters if Weber tanks it on the ice/is a cancer in the lockerroom/hurts the team in some other significant way as a result of that displeasure.

Does that honestly sound like Shea Weber to you?
No, but unfortunetly, neither does signing an offer sheet in Philadelphia.

We will see. I could be totally wrong, though all signs point to Shea wanting to move on IMO. Only time will tell.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:10 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I know he could, but ownership is going to see this as 4 1st round picks+26 million dollars or the later return.

I absolutely think we should and will match this deal, dont get me wrong.
They would have paid more per year to retain both Suter and Weber, so I doubt the cash itself is going to be a huge stumbling block for them if that's your concern.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Quote:
Yeah, a Weber that doesn't want to play here. Woo.
And if he doesn't, then you sign him and trade him for an entire franchise. Triple what the Preds would've gotten this offseason.

I'm actually pretty pleased about this from a Preds standpoint, it's a good opportunity for him. It's just that even the drunken folk tale of him going to the Flyers scares the **** out of me.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:11 AM
randymc2641

Quote:

1. Weber was in trade talks, meaning Poile knew Weber was unlikely to sign here.

2. Weber's deal apparently carries $26mil in one year, meaning he signed a contract specifically designed to make it as tough as possible for us to match.

3. Yes, he didn't sign a 1 year deal, but it is very likely that is only becuase 14 year deals will be banned in the new CBA, so he had to get it done now.

If Weber was not being shopped and had signed a deal that was reasonable for us to match, not 26 mil in 1 year, I would feel 100 times better.

1. Or Poole was doing his homework.
2. We were going to giver Suter how much in one year? Then weber a similar contract....no big deal here
3. So what?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:11 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind the $26 mil is on year one. I could see ownership saying "So you want us to pay $24mil for a player who just signed a contract with another team and you're going to trade in a year when you can get 4 first rounders for him? yeah right!"

I hope they dont, but you never know.
I do not see any team other than Philly or well maybe Snow and Wang in Long Island offer a deal that pays anyone 26 mil in one season I do not know what Poile will do how do you even take that to ownership to try and get them to approve a match like that. Could you imagine working into your bosses office and saying well our competitor is willing to pay 26 million this year for said widget should we offer to match that and over 100 million over the length of the deal.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

1. I understand your worry there, but I wouldn't read too much into that.

2. This is where the owners will put their money where their mouth is. This shouldn't be an issue if they were being honest with us.

3. Irrelevant. A 1 year offer sheet was never in serious discussion IMO.

If Poile doesn't match he needs to be fired immediately

Old
07-19-2012, 01:13 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I do not see any team other than Philly or well maybe Snow and Wang in Long Island offer a deal that pays anyone 26 mil in one season I do not know what Poile will do how do you even take that to ownership to try and get them to approve a match like that. Could you imagine working into your bosses office and saying well our competitor is willing to pay 26 million this year for said widget should we offer to match that and over 100 million over the length of the deal.
For the best widget in the world you do. It's a reasonable contract and cap hit.

Old
Predsboro

Quote:
If Poile wanted to trade him, and he would be under absolutely no obligation to do so, I'm sure he could get a better return than 4 late 1st round picks for 13 years of Weber.
Damn straight ...

Old
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
No, but unfortunetly, neither does signing an offer sheet in Philadelphia.

We will see. I could be totally wrong, though all signs point to Shea wanting to move on IMO. Only time will tell.
My take is that the offer sheet was about the money, which we all knew he wanted.

His play on the ice is about his character, which we don't really have a reason to question at this point.

It's possible that he could be dealt, but if he is it will be at full value (and perhaps even then some). One way or another, I think this strengthens the Preds position (either in trade talks since they no longer have to risk him walking as a UFA, or as a team since they've retained a great player for the rest of his career).

Old
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
They would have paid more per year to retain both Suter and Weber, so I doubt the cash itself is going to be a huge stumbling block for them if that's your concern.
Agreed. Like I said, I expect it to be matched, I just can see why ownership could conceivably say no. 90% match, 10% let him walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And if he doesn't, then you sign him and trade him for an entire franchise. Triple what the Preds would've gotten this offseason.

I'm actually pretty pleased about this from a Preds standpoint, it's a good opportunity for him. It's just that even the drunken folk tale of him going to the Flyers scares the **** out of me.
As long as Weber isn't a locker room cancer, this can all work out in the end. We keep him for a year and then trade him for a kings ransom. Done and done.

Alright, I'm off to bed I think. I'm clearly alone on my side of the fence right now, so I don't see a reason to go on arguing about it. I hope that you guys are right and that Weber just used this as a ploy to get the right contract, as unlikely as that seems to me.

We can survive this. Step 1: Match the deal. Step 2: Trade Weber next off-season. Step 3: Josi, Blum, Ellis, Ekholm, Wilson, Smith, Bourque, Hornqvist, and whoever we get for Weber take over the show and we compete again.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Fishhead

As an outsider, I would be shocked if it isn't matched. Even if its front-loaded by a ludicrous amount, it shouldn't matter. Worst case, let's say the plan is to trade him a few years down the road if a rebuild is in the cards. Could you imagine the ransom one could get for Weber at an actual salary in the 5.5-6M range? An asset can't get much more valuable than that... If it isn't front-loaded, there is no reason not to match it.

And I don't necessarily buy that Weber doesn't want to be in Nashville. If he truly didn't, he would only sign for 1 year and leave his options open. It's not like the cap hit is outrageous, it's very fair and he has to know the preds have plenty of space to match it.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:16 AM
AEM6729

Feeling really sorry for myself right now...why does it have to suck so much to be a Preds fan?! Can ONE great thing come easily to us, ever?! Ugh.

The fact that we were actively trying to trade Weber prior to this offer sheet being dropped means one or both of the following:

1. We couldn't agree to a contract.
2. He doesn't want to be here.

I have a hard time believing we wouldn't offer him pretty much whatever he wanted contract-wise. If you're Weber, and you believe this summer will be your last chance to sign a "lifetime" term, front-loaded contract due to CBA changes, then you have two options if you can't work out a contract with Nashville (or if you don't WANT to work out a contract with them):

1. Demand a trade. (He might have done this for all we know.)
2. Sign a huge offer sheet with a team you want to play for; if the Preds match, you can demand a trade in a year.

I'm sure we will match. Not matching would be a ****ing disaster...for the fans, for the team's reputation, everything. Four first-round picks from Philly aren't THAT valuable.

What bothers me more is what all this seems to mean: that Weber doesn't want to be here. Why else would we have been trying to trade him? **** us, man. Why doesn't anyone want to stay here?!

Old
07-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
2. We were going to giver Suter how much in one year? Then weber a similar contract....no big deal here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

2. This is where the owners will put their money where their mouth is. This shouldn't be an issue if they were being honest with us.
Ok, last thing before I sleep, I didn't make point 2 clear at all.

I am not concerned about the fact that we have to pay. We will, that's not an issue. I am saying that the fact Weber signed a deal that was purposely targeting us in an attempt to not get us to match is, IMO, very conclusive evidence that he does not want to be here.

That point wasn't a "we wont match" one, it was a "weber wants out" one.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:17 AM
tfong

It seems the only person that really wins this deal is Weber, gets his choice of place to play and the contract he wanted.

PO better match the offer, Nashville was starting to become very competitive too and I don't really want to see them sink again.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Predsboro

Haven't done the research yet but I'm seeing on other boards that the rumored $26million may violate the "Kovulchuk" salary cap circumvention rule ... guess we won't know until the structure is released.

Also it would be 4 first rounders ... not 2 firsts 2 seconds and what not ...

Old
Top 6 Spaling

AEM, internet hug for agreeing with me

Old
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
For the best widget in the world you do. It's a reasonable contract and cap hit.
For the legth of the deal yes for sure but 26 mil in the first year how do they swallow that?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:19 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Are you really that ****ing daft? Do you not comprehend that Weber has basically given the preds the middle finger? By signing this contract, not only does that prohibit us from trading him for a package we want, but it means our captain doesn't want to be in Nashville. Not only that, but if we match, we aren't allowed to trade him for an entire year as per the current CBA and I don't see that changing in the next one. Why would we want to match an offer that obviously suggests Weber doesn't want to stay here? Before anyone comes up with a dumber idea about Weber maybe wanting Poile to match this, he would've signed a contract in the first place.

This was the absolute worst case scenario.
Just to let you know, half a decade ago the Flyers signed Ryan Kesler to an offersheet. We ended up signing him, and then in subsequent contracts Kesler took less money than market value to stay here. Just because a player signs an offersheet doesn't mean that there's no way they will want to play for their original team.

Don't lose faith.

randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Feeling really sorry for myself right now...why does it have to suck so much to be a Preds fan?! Can ONE great thing come easily to us, ever?! Ugh.

The fact that we were actively trying to trade Weber prior to this offer sheet being dropped means one or both of the following:

1. We couldn't agree to a contract.
2. He doesn't want to be here.

I have a hard time believing we wouldn't offer him pretty much whatever he wanted contract-wise. If you're Weber, and you believe this summer will be your last chance to sign a "lifetime" term, front-loaded contract due to CBA changes, then you have two options if you can't work out a contract with Nashville (or if you don't WANT to work out a contract with them):

1. Demand a trade. (He might have done this for all we know.)
2. Sign a huge offer sheet with a team you want to play for; if the Preds match, you can demand a trade in a year.

I'm sure we will match. Not matching would be a ****ing disaster...for the fans, for the team's reputation, everything. Four first-round picks from Philly aren't THAT valuable.

What bothers me more is what all this seems to mean: that Weber doesn't want to be here. Why else would we have been trying to trade him? **** us, man. Why doesn't anyone want to stay here?!
It's not even 4 1st i don't think. That's only for over 8.410 mil per.

Old
Suter x 20

The more I'm reading and thinking about this, the more I keep thinking how maybe Holmgren felt he 'owed' a little something to Poile for Kimmo and Hartsy. Maybe Weber wasn't going to sign with Poile and Holmgren and Poile had this worked out so Poile can match and they'd call it even between them? Seems really possible, to me at least....The two are said to have a real good relationship so I don't see why Holmgren would tarnish that for this. And the fact that Poile can match and keep Weber for life after Poile said not matching Stevens OS was the biggest mistake of his life, I really think the two of them worked this out together....at least I hope.

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Ok, last thing before I sleep, I didn't make point 2 clear at all.

I am not concerned about the fact that we have to pay. We will, that's not an issue. I am saying that the fact Weber signed a deal that was purposely targeting us in an attempt to not get us to match is, IMO, very conclusive evidence that he does not want to be here.

That point wasn't a "we wont match" one, it was a "weber wants out" one.
You are assuming a lot in this post. In no way does Weber signing a front loaded deal say "I'm trying to hurt you Nashville." Getting paid upfront, while the CBA is still here, is in his best interests financially. That's all it is. It's not a slap in the face to Nashville at all.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Does Philly have any rfa's right now? Would be great to see poile snap back with an offersheet of his own...
The Philly player would have to agree to sign an offersheet with the preds.

Their most significant RFA is voracek though.

Closed Thread