HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 01:21 AM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
AEM, internet hug for agreeing with me
Too depressed for a hug, but I definitely agree with you. I'll share a tissue/punching bag with you though!

Old
07-19-2012, 01:23 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
And I don't necessarily buy that Weber doesn't want to be in Nashville. If he truly didn't, he would only sign for 1 year and leave his options open. It's not like the cap hit is outrageous, it's very fair and he has to know the preds have plenty of space to match it.
Signing for 1 year wouldn't be an option for Weber. The Preds would never offer that, and Weber would never sign a 1-year offer sheet and miss what could be his only opportunity to sign a deal this big.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suter x 20 View Post
The more I'm reading and thinking about this, the more I keep thinking how maybe Holmgren felt he 'owed' a little something to Poile for Kimmo and Hartsy. Maybe Weber wasn't going to sign with Poile and Holmgren and Poile had this worked out so Poile can match and they'd call it even between them? Seems really possible, to me at least....The two are said to have a real good relationship so I don't see why Holmgren would tarnish that for this. And the fact that Poile can match and keep Weber for life after Poile said not matching Stevens OS was the biggest mistake of his life, I really think the two of them worked this out together....at least I hope.
I don't know about that, I'd throw my best friend in front of a bus for Shea Weber

Old
07-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Sportsfan1

Hope you guys keep him, don't know how Poile would keep his job if he and ownership let him go, i'd hate to see a model franchise get totally crippled with both Suter and Weber leaving, so hope you guys keep him!

Old
07-19-2012, 01:27 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I don't know about that, I'd throw my best friend in front of a bus for Shea Weber
Not to mention I believe the PA would scream bloody murder over that as collusion and tampering.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Predsboro

here's why it's 4 firsts ...

Quote:
Compensation (NHL)

When a player accepts an offer sheet and his team declines to match the value of the contract, his former team is entitled to draft pick compensation in the next upcoming draft or drafts based on the averaged yearly salary of the contract. This averaged annual salary is determined by dividing the total compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five.

$100 million/5 years=20 million per year=4 1st round picks

Old
07-19-2012, 01:29 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
here's why it's 4 firsts ...
Yep just caught that part, still not worth it.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
Yep just caught that part, still not worth it.
not even close ...

Old
07-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Roger Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Guys, we will match. And what if we don't prove to be very good this year and Weber wants out? Then we trade a SIGNED Weber for a huge package of players. Poile HAS to sign this. If he doesn't, he better be fired immediately.
Pretty much this. The package for a signed Weber would be much more than 4 1sts in the 20-30 pick range. We have to match or Poile should be fired. Also I doubt this has anything to do with Weber not wanting to play here, he just wants to cash in before the new CBA and we weren't offering enough IMO. Philly gets the contract done for us. Why on earth would Weber sign an OS knowing we could match?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:31 AM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Signing for 1 year wouldn't be an option for Weber. The Preds would never offer that, and Weber would never sign a 1-year offer sheet and miss what could be his only opportunity to sign a deal this big.
Preds did offer a one or two year deal to weber, it was his QO, but he couldn't sign it and risk the new cba handcuffing him. He should have been like Rads and changed his birthday.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:33 AM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
No, but unfortunetly, neither does signing an offer sheet in Philadelphia.

We will see. I could be totally wrong, though all signs point to Shea wanting to move on IMO. Only time will tell.
Dude take a chill pill and understand this is pure business right now. Weber and his agent know very well he's an RFA not a UFA if Nashville was never an option of staying he wouldn't have signed an offer sheet and flat out demand a trade thus eliminating the option of matching.

This was pure Philly blocking the trade competition an option that the Nashville GM would be dumb not to explore and see what he could get for Weber thus forcing Nashville's hand either match or he's ours for 4 1st round picks

Weber and his agent were offered a contract they couldn't refuse so initially this is a gamble on Philly's part that depends on the owners of Nashville if they match or not. This isn't a case of Weber wanting out rather Weber and his agent wanting to get $$$$$

Old
07-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suter x 20 View Post
The more I'm reading and thinking about this, the more I keep thinking how maybe Holmgren felt he 'owed' a little something to Poile for Kimmo and Hartsy. Maybe Weber wasn't going to sign with Poile and Holmgren and Poile had this worked out so Poile can match and they'd call it even between them? Seems really possible, to me at least....The two are said to have a real good relationship so I don't see why Holmgren would tarnish that for this. And the fact that Poile can match and keep Weber for life after Poile said not matching Stevens OS was the biggest mistake of his life, I really think the two of them worked this out together....at least I hope.
This scenario is unlikely. If Weber didn't want to sign with Nashville then he would never have signed an offer sheet.

Here's my take: Weber wanted to re-sign in Nashville, but Poile was being cheap. This forces Poile's hand and he now can't be tempted to trade Weber.

If anything this is Holmgren giving some tough love to Poile.

Of course I'll look like a fool if Poile doesn't match but to me this is such a no brainer.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:36 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Dude take a chill pill and understand this is pure business right now. Weber and his agent know very well he's an RFA not a UFA if Nashville was never an option of staying he wouldn't have signed an offer sheet and flat out demand a trade thus eliminating the option of matching.

This was pure Philly blocking the trade competition an option that the Nashville GM would be dumb not to explore and see what he could get for Weber thus forcing Nashville's hand either match or he's ours for 4 1st round picks

Weber and his agent were offered a contract they couldn't refuse so initially this is a gamble on Philly's part that depends on the owners of Nashville if they match or not. This isn't a case of Weber wanting out rather Weber and his agent wanting to get $$$$$
Until we hear anything different, I think this is probably to be the best understanding of the situation.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:37 AM
luckofirish8

Poile and the bunch have the next 7 days to decide the Preds future. I honestly think this is the second best scenario for for the Preds and Poile. It really comes down to do you wanna pay the man.

If the Preds don't match this deal, I fear we will struggle to sign any UFA in the future. Hell, we may struggle to do so even if we match this deal.

The sun could shine on the Preds over the next seven days, or we could take another kick in the nuts.

Poile, your table is ready.

Old
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Too depressed for a hug, but I definitely agree with you. I'll share a tissue/punching bag with you though!
I'm with you guys, pass some jack daniels though instead of tissues.

Sorry to rain on anyone's rainbow here but it would be very easy for Weber to call Poile and tell him this is what Philly offered, do you want to match this and Poile may have already said no...

Old
Sticks and Pucks

It's not just the 4 first rounders. With the loss of Weber, Suter and Radulov, it's possible that the Preds become a lottery team next season and end up with Seth Jones in the 2013 draft, who could end up to be another, if not better, Shea Weber anyway.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Syke

I feel bad for you guys. Tootoo, then Suter, now Weber. All in 1 offseason. Hopefully they match the offer.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
This scenario is unlikely. If Weber didn't want to sign with Nashville then he would never have signed an offer sheet.

Here's my take: Weber wanted to re-sign in Nashville, but Poile was being cheap. This forces Poile's hand and he now can't be tempted to trade Weber.

If anything this is Holmgren giving some tough love to Poile.

Of course I'll look like a fool if Poile doesn't match but to me this is such a no brainer.
Who even knows how far into negotiations they got. Undoubtedly, this is too good an offer to pass up, even if he knew he definitely wanted to stay in Nashville.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiggins27 View Post
I'm not a Preds fan by any means, but I'd like to know the fans thought on this: Do you think Nashville may actually be better off taking the compensation of four 1st round picks? Considering he signed an offer sheet, Weber may not be as loyal to Nashville as some may think, and four 1st round picks is a lot of value.
Four 1st round picks that won't be any higher than 25th overall since the Flyers will finish very high in the standings for the next many years.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Until we hear anything different, I think this is probably to be the best understanding of the situation.
Except whose to say Poile and Weber haven't already talked about this exact contract and Poile said no I am not willing to pay you that? If Weber wanted to stay, that is probably what Weber would've done...

If Weber wanted to stay in Nashville, he wouldn't have signed this offer. period. This is all about the CBA limiting long term deals and salary. Weber wanted the best contract he could get. Found it and signed one structured to be difficult for us match.

These good conversations have obviously gone no where.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:41 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
The Preds have to match this and will in my opinion. If the hard part is the 26 million in the calander year, you pony up get a loan find an investor in the club or something along those lines and do it.

Also at that point you can shed a few guys salaries and blame it for the next couple of years on Weber. They don't need to make him happy anymore at that point they have him under contract for life. So a mini-rebuild or reload while paying the big bonus years is very reasonable if you are that cash strapped. Then you have all the assets in order and are ready to really make a big push and there is nothing Weber can do but be stunned as you turn Erat, Fisher and Gaustad into nice future pieces.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:42 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
That's what i'm saying. Some people are freaking out, and rightfully so, but the ball is in our court. All we do is match and he is ours for life. How hard is that to understand? Now we will find out how serious the ownership is about spending money. If we refuse to match, I refuse to renew season tickets from now on. Pretty simple for me.
Agreed. It's put up or shut up time for Cigarran and the owners. I want to think this is a slam dunk, but I can't shake the feeling that we'll screw it up somehow. But, hey, if we don't match, my father has at least one Red Wings jersey around that I'm sure he'd love to give me...

Old
07-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Agreed. It's put up or shut up time for Cigarran and the owners. I want to think this is a slam dunk, but I can't shake the feeling that we'll screw it up somehow. But, hey, if we don't match, my father has at least one Red Wings jersey around that I'm sure he'd love to give me...
I don't see why they wouldn't match, but regardless of it just being business I don't see this marriage lasting.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Agreed. It's put up or shut up time for Cigarran and the owners. I want to think this is a slam dunk
I think we match ... but remember, we have some of, if not THE lowest ticket prices in the league. If we're gonna play with the big boys, we can't ***** and complain when next renewal comes around and the ticket prices have increased.

Well ... we can, and likely will ... but shouldn't

Old
07-19-2012, 01:48 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
I don't see why they wouldn't match, but regardless of it just being business I don't see this marriage lasting.
Shea shoud have thought about that before he signed a 14 year deal they could match and one where they pay him 20+ million in a calander year. Once that big bonuses are paid he isn't going anywhere, unless the new CBA allows cash and some team pays those bonuses back to an angry Preds franchise if he was to demand a trade.

Closed Thread