HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 01:48 AM
predfan24

vCash: 500
The kicker here is how much did Philly front load the contract? Are the owners willing to pay Shea 20 plus million over the first calender year? If the Preds match can Shea be traded this year?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Are you really that ****ing daft? Do you not comprehend that Weber has basically given the preds the middle finger? By signing this contract, not only does that prohibit us from trading him for a package we want, but it means our captain doesn't want to be in Nashville. Not only that, but if we match, we aren't allowed to trade him for an entire year as per the current CBA and I don't see that changing in the next one. Why would we want to match an offer that obviously suggests Weber doesn't want to stay here? Before anyone comes up with a dumber idea about Weber maybe wanting Poile to match this, he would've signed a contract in the first place.

This was the absolute worst case scenario.
I don't know who you are but I like your response. Very direct and totally to the point. Plus, I fully agree with everything. If Weber wanted to stay, he wouldn't have signed the offersheet. Instead (if this is allowed), he would have let Poile know what he's up against with the Philly offer if he doesn't make a solid move to keep Weber. Weber obviously doesn't care to stay in Nashville so why accommodate? Trading him would have been best cause that way Poile would have been in better control of who he gets back. Now he'll get back whatever Philly has to offer.

Old
Predsboro

I know... it's Eklund ... deal with it.

Quote:
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund

for those of you saying signing an offer sheet means Weber doesn't want to stay a Predator,in fact there is a better chance it means he DOES
And from Cooper:

Quote:
JoshuaCooper ‏@JoshuaCooper

A few thoughts before bed... Poile has referenced the Scott Stevens situation when he was with Washington as a low point in his career

Last edited by Predsboro: 07-19-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: another quote
Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I don't see why they wouldn't match, but regardless of it just being business I don't see this marriage lasting.
If there are problems between Poile and Weber, then see ya Poile. Easy choice.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
I know... it's Eklund ... deal with it.
Eklund is right on the money here.

Everyone needs to understand that offer sheets mean the player WANTS to stay, but we're having trouble agreeing on a dollar amount.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
The kicker here is how much did Philly front load the contract? Are the owners willing to pay Shea 20 plus million over the first calender year? If the Preds match can Shea be traded this year?
No it would have to be following year at the earliest.

I don't see why people wouldn't think Weber will demand a trade the following year. I mean come on. Why wouldn't he? Besides, I am really not convinced that if Weber had wanted to stay, he would've called Poile told him "this is what I have been offered" match it or I sign and Poile probably said no. Why would he say yes now?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If his priority was leaving, he would have signed one-year deals until the new CBA set the new UFA age, and then left at the earliest opportunity.

This gets him inked under the more favorable current CBA parameters than those likely to exist under the new CBA, just under the wire, and it also gives a team he likes playing for the chance to match it.

I don't read this as a worst case scenario for Nashville at all. Signing his QO was a worst case scenario for a Predators fan. This move means he's OK playing his whole career in Nashville.

Chin up. Poile will match tomorrow. Weber gave up control for security.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Eklund is right on the money here.

Everyone needs to understand that offer sheets mean the player WANTS to stay, but we're having trouble agreeing on a dollar amount.
No, he really isn't. It potentially means that, but not necessarily. That is a generous generalization that really doesn't fit with the rest of the current facts.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:56 AM
predfan24

Quote:

I don't see why people wouldn't think Weber will demand a trade the following year. I mean come on. Why wouldn't he? Besides, I am really not convinced that if Weber had wanted to stay, he would've called Poile told him "this is what I have been offered" match it or I sign and Poile probably said no. Why would he say yes now?
Ehh in that case that's not what I see going on at all. If Weber can't be traded this year if we match he won't demand a trade the following season. He's not the type of guy to take that bonus money and run. I think this is basically Weber saying to Poile and the owners **** or get off the pot. He will stay in Nashville but he wants to get paid. If they won't pay him Philly will.

Old
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
If his priority was leaving, he would have signed one-year deals until the new CBA set the new UFA age, and then left at the earliest opportunity.

This gets him inked under the more favorable current CBA parameters than those likely to exist under the new CBA, just under the wire, and it also gives a team he likes playing for the chance to match it.

I don't read this as a worst case scenario for Nashville at all. Signing his QO was a worst case scenario for a Predators fan. This move means he's OK playing his whole career in Nashville.

Chin up. Poile will match tomorrow. Weber gave up control for security.
First off Nashville never would've agreed to a one year deal and secondly Weber doesn't want that either because of the new CBA potentially limiting those types of contracts...

Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:

After they pay all the bonuses, good luck with that. At that point he can't ask out. The last time I saw a team take this kind of poision pill was Detroit in the Fedorov to Carolina debacle. He wound up leaving after his contract was totally up, but he just couldn't ask for a trade during it, once someone gives you 20+ million in a calander year you are kind of stuck.

Just so you know Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet in New York, how did that play out?

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
No, he really isn't. It potentially means that, but not necessarily. That is a generous generalization that really doesn't fit with the rest of the current facts.
Wrong. That is exactly what it means. If Weber wanted out this is the worst method of doing it.

If Poile refuses to match, or is hellbent on trading him in a year, then he needs to be canned.

Old
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Ehh in that case that's not what I see going on at all. If Weber can't be traded this year if we match he won't demand a trade the following season. He's not the type of guy to take that bonus money and run. I think this is basically Weber saying to Poile and the owners **** or get off the pot. He will stay in Nashville but he wants to get paid. If they won't pay him Philly will.
I would say the opposite is true as the first year will pay him 26M.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:00 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Exactly, IMO he is not the type of guy who would take that money and run the following season. If he really wanted out of Nashville he would have signed a one year deal.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:00 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
What is he going to do retire, they own his *** for 14 years and they can go back after the next summers bonus money if he doesn't show up. They have him over a barrel if they match this.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
First off Nashville never would've agreed to a one year deal and secondly Weber doesn't want that either because of the new CBA potentially limiting those types of contracts...
You don't understand.

To retain a player's rights, when he is a RFA, a team has to tender a qualifying offer. That is 100%, 105% or 110% of his previous season salary, depending on the salary range of the player in question.

The player can accept/decline the QO, and/or begin negotiating a multi-year deal.

If you don't tender a QO, the player becomes a UFA. So teams MUST qualify all their RFAs.

He had the option to simply accept his QO. He didn't do that.

If a player wants to accept his QO, the team doesn't have a choice.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Wrong. That is exactly what it means. If Weber wanted out this is the worst method of doing it.

If Poile refuses to match, or is hellbent on trading him in a year, then he needs to be canned.
There are far more factors than simply wanting to stay in Nashville. He wants the best offer possible and Philadelphia offered that to him. He very very easily could've told the exact offer to Poile and said "if you want me to stay here, you have to match this" if he really wanted to stay here instead of signing an offer sheet.

The new CBA is also a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE factor on Weber's contract. There is no way around this. The man wants to be paid now and wants the security the current one offers which is great, but it seems like weber has done everything in his power try to not commit long term to nashville. Sorry, I don't see it.

If we match, great still don't think it lasts much over a year. Ultimately, it isn't Poile who decides these things, its the owners. I am not convinced the owners can match this and I think Weber knows that.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Octavius
Next #18?

vCash: 424
This offer sheet is great for you guys and don't be delusional about trading him after one year. Here is why I think he wants to play in Nashville:

- He probably heard he is being shopped and with the frustration of the negotiations going nowhere decided to the make the first move and chose where he wants to play : Philly or Nashville

- If the return of 2 1sts, 2nd and 3rd is true, then it adds motivation for Nashville to match and it is low value for Weber

- If the report is true, the contract is heavily front-loaded. This means that he gets payed early on (money in the bank is always better than potential money in the future) exactly during his time in Nashville if it matches. So that is about 1/4 of the contract gone in the first year. That means that the rest of the years are fairly cheap for a player of his calibre. Would you really trade him then because he signed the offer sheet, just as the contract becomes great money wise?

I think some of you, who claim he wants out, need to examine the situation again.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
You don't understand.

To retain a player's rights, when he is a RFA, a team has to tender a qualifying offer. That is 100%, 105% or 110% of his previous season salary, depending on the salary range of the player in question.

The player can accept/decline the QO, and/or begin negotiating a multi-year deal.

If you don't tender a QO, the player becomes a UFA. So teams MUST qualify all their RFAs.

He had the option to simply accept his QO. He didn't do that.

If a player wants to accept his QO, the team doesn't have a choice.
No, I do understand that, which is why I said there is no way Weber signs that... because of the CBA

Old
07-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
This offer sheet is great for you guys and don't be delusional about trading him after one year. Here is why I think he wants to play in Nashville:

- He probably heard he is being shopped and with the frustration of the negotiations going nowhere decided to the make the first move and chose where he wants to play : Philly or Nashville

- If the return of 2 1sts, 2nd and 3rd is true, then it adds motivation for Nashville to match and it is low value for Weber

- If the report is true, the contract is heavily front-loaded. This means that he gets payed early on (money in the bank is always better than potential money in the future) exactly during his time in Nashville if it matches. So that is about 1/4 of the contract gone in the first year. That means that the rest of the years are fairly cheap for a player of his calibre. Would you really trade him then because he signed the offer sheet, just as the contract becomes great money wise?

I think some of you, who claim he wants out, need to examine the situation again.
Completely agree ... but it would be 4 firsts. Still not enough compensation for Weber as the Flyers picks would be low first round most likely.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:09 AM
roseyc

I think if it were up to Poile he would take the 4 first round picks. Then he would have two 1st round picks to wheel and deal with each of the next 4 years. But it isn't up to him and they will match it and Holmgren made a smart move. He didn't want the Rangers trading up for him by signing Weber to an offer sheet. But here's the deal what would Poile have done if Suter stayed then he would had two huge bonus contracts to pay. He now only has one and this should be a no brainer. But here's another thing. We supposedly had two of the best defenseman in the league and it what did that get us. Two second round appearances that we weren't competitive in either one. Rinne held Van off enough for the Preds to bow out in 6 and Phoenix outplayed us and defensively was the better team and oust the Preds in 5. To me the Suter money is out there to get us some offensive help. Will Poile do it ..I don't think so. He'll grab another project out of the hat. This is what Weber and Suter both know and Suter knew that he wasn't going to win in Nashville and if Weber knows the franchise too then that is why he forced the hand and I think the CBA has a bearing on his decision as well. If we don't then it only reinforce what I'm thinking that the intention all along that Poile doesn't know how to build a Cup Winner. He can only build a competitive team that doesn't play a two way game and slows the game down to stay competitive...I hope I'm wrong....

Last edited by roseyc: 07-19-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 02:10 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
No, I do understand that, which is why I said there is no way Weber signs that... because of the CBA
If his priority was leaving, he could have signed those one-year deals (each year, and there is nothing Poile could have done to prevent it. A RFA player can always sign his QO).

What he did shows his priority is getting paid, not necessarily calling his shot.

This demonstrates he was determined to get paid now, before a more restricted CBA is in effect, and that he's OK with staying in Nashville for the rest of his career.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:12 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Let's look at it this way too. It might not mean anything at all but still. He stays with us and he gets to visit Western Canada twice a season still and have many games in that time zone and easier for family to watch him either in person of on tv. In the East, it'll be harder for his family/friends to keep up with him. I doubt that plays any part but I'm just grasping at straws here.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Exactly, IMO he is not the type of guy who would take that money and run the following season. If he really wanted out of Nashville he would have signed a one year deal.
Except for that he probably would have lost out on 20-25 million or more due to the new CBA almost certanly eliminating these types of deals.

Not saying he does not want to or won't stay with the Preds, but any RFA who is coming off a great/good year is foolish not to take the bigger deal now.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
Completely agree ... but it would be 4 firsts. Still not enough compensation for Weber as the Flyers picks would be low first round most likely.
Look, nothing you can say is going to change my mind on this, but I do think we match his contract for better or for worse. I think you couldn't be more wrong about Weber's desire to stay in Nashville, but hey everything is speculation.

I am putting this to bed for tonight just a reminder though, the owners, not Poile are in charge and they may say they can't afford to pay weber 26M the first year. Food for thought.

Closed Thread