HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 02:14 AM
predfan24

vCash: 500
The worst possible scenario is if Poile doesn't match. Those 4 firsts sound good in theory but in reality considering there are Philly's those pick are likely to be 25 or back. If Poile screws up keeping Weber and screws up getting a good return back from Weber leaving I hate to say it but he should lose his job.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Except for that he probably would have lost out on 20-25 million or more due to the new CBA almost certanly eliminating these types of deals.

Not saying he does not want to or won't stay with the Preds, but any RFA who is coming off a great/good year is foolish not to take the bigger deal now.
Exactly, and that staggering first year maybe more than what the Preds can afford, especially if it runs the risk of Weber starting to demand trades after it which could potentially happen. Then you have your best player sitting out/causing locker room cancer.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

They were planning to pay both Suter and Weber on sweetheart contracts to keep them. I can't see how the team can't find a way to pay Weber now.

Old
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckofirish8 View Post
Poile and the bunch have the next 7 days to decide the Preds future. I honestly think this is the second best scenario for for the Preds and Poile. It really comes down to do you wanna pay the man.

If the Preds don't match this deal, I fear we will struggle to sign any UFA in the future. Hell, we may struggle to do so even if we match this deal.

The sun could shine on the Preds over the next seven days, or we could take another kick in the nuts.

Poile, your table is ready.
I understand the love affair afflicted toward star players after all they're what entertain us in this great game but let me advise you and all of Nashville fans Weber isn't the most important player on this team to stay competitive neither was Suter. Rinne and maintaining his level of play is the most important figure to the team as long as you have him at his current form Nashville will be competitive. The good news is Rinne is signed long term now it does suck to lose both Weber(maybe) and Suter this doesn't effect Nashville one bit in UFA.

UFA is all about the $ If your the highest bidder you will get your prize that's how it works 99% of the time something that a new CBA hopefully without another lockout will eliminate these front loaded contracts and even the playing field.

Old
Predsboro

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=45672

I know a lot of you (including some mods) dislike Eklund ... but this is a good read about this process. Skip it if you object to Ek ...

Old
07-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
If his priority was leaving, he could have signed those one-year deals (each year, and there is nothing Poile could have done to prevent it. A RFA player can always sign his QO).

What he did shows his priority is getting paid, not necessarily calling his shot.

This demonstrates he was determined to get paid now, before a more restricted CBA is in effect, and that he's OK with staying in Nashville for the rest of his career.
No he most certainly wouldn't have simply because he wants to get the most money in the shortest amount of time and with the new CBA there is no guarantee of that... weber had to protect himself against that. Even if nashville signs that doesn't mean he can't try to demand trades down the line.

I would argue Weber did everything in his power (which isn't much as a UFA) to get the best contract possible while making it difficult for his current team to match an offer.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:20 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Exactly, and that staggering first year maybe more than what the Preds can afford, especially if it runs the risk of Weber starting to demand trades after it which could potentially happen. Then you have your best player sitting out/causing locker room cancer.
That is extreme speculation and Weber has never shown anything that would lead anybody to believe he would do something like that. Obviously he isn't hell bent on playing for the Preds for the rest of his life but it's something he is willing to do or he would not have signed that offer sheet. He wants his money now and in his mind this is prob a great test for the owners to see if they will put their money where their mouth is... otherwise he will go play for Philly and be fine with that.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:33 AM
thecloser

we'll match because we have plenty of money to spend. if we don't match then it is going to be because of the owners say so.

If Weber isn't a lifelong Preds then we are going to have a tough time getting players to play here and we might as well have a fire sale like the bluejackets and start from scratch. you know the owners don't want that all over again.

we'll get him, and i think he's confident in staying in the city. I think this was just a forcing of the hand to get Poile to give him the money he wants and they'll build from there.

nervous wreck until he's back in the gold uni.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:37 AM
dimi78

Quote:
No he most certainly wouldn't have simply because he wants to get the most money in the shortest amount of time and with the new CBA there is no guarantee of that... weber had to protect himself against that. Even if nashville signs that doesn't mean he can't try to demand trades down the line.

I would argue Weber did everything in his power (which isn't much as a UFA) to get the best contract possible while making it difficult for his current team to match an offer.
Do you know how offer sheets work? When your a GM and going that road your way overpaying in an effort so the other team doesn't match. There's no point going this route offering a fair contract cause it will be matched.

Weber didn't go to Philly and say I want this much $ Philly came to Weber and offered this much $ a deal Weber and his agent couldn't refuse thus he signed and now we're waiting for the Nashville owners to reply.

As for him asking to be traded down the line anything is possible but it doesn't make sense one bit from Weber's camp with an educated agent to sign an offer sheet when they know very well it could be matched if staying isn't an option. He would have demanded a trade and get his money that way without the option of a contract being matched.

Last edited by dimi78: 07-19-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 02:42 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
[/B]Do you know how offer sheets work? When your a GM and going that road your way overpaying in an effort so the other team doesn't match. There's no point going this route offering a fair contract cause it will be matched.

Weber didn't go to Philly and say I want this much $ Philly came to Weber and offered this much $ a deal Weber and his agent couldn't refuse thus he signed and now we're waiting for the Nashville owners to reply.
yes I know how they work... but weber signed a deal that will be hard for the predators to design and if you think philly was the only team that offered him one you got another thing coming.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Signing for 1 year wouldn't be an option for Weber. The Preds would never offer that, and Weber would never sign a 1-year offer sheet and miss what could be his only opportunity to sign a deal this big.
Not an offer sheet, just tell the Preds that he will only sign for a year. Yea, the Preds wouldn't offer that, but that would be something that someone who wanted out would do. Players who want to leave do not sign offer sheets, especially market value ones like this one. That's a surefire way of staying put.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
yes I know how they work... but weber signed a deal that will be hard for the predators to design and if you think philly was the only team that offered him one you got another thing coming.
And by that logic, how can you say that he signed the one that screws the Predators the most? He signed with a team in the East so that if they don't match he's not playing in the conference or in division (VAN, SJ, DET all rumored as possible trade partners)...

It's not as black and white as you'd like to tell everyone...

Old
07-19-2012, 02:55 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
And by that logic, how can you say that he signed the one that screws the Predators the most? He signed with a team in the East so that if they don't match he's not playing in the conference or in division (VAN, SJ, DET all rumored as possible trade partners)...

I agree. None of us on here know everything that is really going on. And we never will. I just care if Weber is a Pred or not. Nothing else matters.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Did I say the most? No I don't think I did. I said hard for them to match. You don't actually think Poile would trade Weber to Detroit right? By the same logic couldn't you say Weber and Poile talked about this Philly offer and Poile said I am not willing to pay you this? point is we don't know, we won't know, but I certainly am not uncorking the champagne like some around here. Whole point is everything is speculation from the people who say Weber wants to leave to the ones saying he wants to stay.

No matter anyone says here, I am not even going to consider that weber wants to stay here considering the way these past two years have been handled. And after I was right about Suter and Parise starting last freaking summer I think maybe I would get more credit here. Gotta give you credit, you said Rads was coming back even when I said I didn't want him on this team. You were right and I give you credit for that one Seth.

For better or for worse, this is where this franchise in. I suspect we match but I really don't believe this will be a happy or lasting marriage between weber and the predators.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:57 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Anyone expecting Poile to get fired if "he" doesn't match offer sheet give your head a shake. Do you really believe that the owners of the Predators would not be involved in a $100 million plus decision? It won't be a one man decision - ownership will make the call on the $.

Second, as far as the match the offer sheet and trade in a year scenario goes, wouldn't the Predators have to pay the entire signing bonus? Then he plays for a year and the Predators will have paid a large amount of his 14 year salary up front for minimal services. Not necessarily a fiscally prudent move.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:58 AM
dimi78

Quote:
I don't think you do cause that's the whole point from Philly's perspective offer him a gross amount of money he'd be stupid to not sign, a contract that Nashville can't match.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:02 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
I don't think you do cause that's the whole point from Philly's perspective offer him a gross amount of money he'd be stupid to not sign, a contract that Nashville can't match.
Which is why I have been saying Weber signed a contract that will be hard for the Predators to match due to the first couple years of payment. That is my only point. I have no doubt Poile will match, but doesn't mean it won't be hard on our franchise

Old
07-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Which is why I have been saying Weber signed a contract that will be hard for the Predators to match due to the first couple years of payment. That is my only point. I have no doubt Poile will match, but doesn't mean it won't be hard on our franchise
Not really. It's probably less than we would have had to pay Suter and Weber combined in that same time, and definitely less than it would have cost to pay Suter, Weber AND Parise.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:19 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Not really. It's probably less than we would have had to pay Suter and Weber combined in that same time, and definitely less than it would have cost to pay Suter, Weber AND Parise.
Come on man, we were never really in on Parise...

Anyways, I am going to bed.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:27 AM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Dude take a chill pill and understand this is pure business right now. Weber and his agent know very well he's an RFA not a UFA if Nashville was never an option of staying he wouldn't have signed an offer sheet and flat out demand a trade thus eliminating the option of matching.

This was pure Philly blocking the trade competition an option that the Nashville GM would be dumb not to explore and see what he could get for Weber thus forcing Nashville's hand either match or he's ours for 4 1st round picks

Weber and his agent were offered a contract they couldn't refuse so initially this is a gamble on Philly's part that depends on the owners of Nashville if they match or not. This isn't a case of Weber wanting out rather Weber and his agent wanting to get $$$$$
Agree with this completely. The other thing I would like to add is this may be a blessing in disguise for Nashville(if they match) as this contract comes with no NMC/NTC like other life time contracts. If Weber wants out, they can trade him anywhere after a year for the best return without being handicapped.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
Anyone expecting Poile to get fired if "he" doesn't match offer sheet give your head a shake. Do you really believe that the owners of the Predators would not be involved in a $100 million plus decision? It won't be a one man decision - ownership will make the call on the $.

Second, as far as the match the offer sheet and trade in a year scenario goes, wouldn't the Predators have to pay the entire signing bonus? Then he plays for a year and the Predators will have paid a large amount of his 14 year salary up front for minimal services. Not necessarily a fiscally prudent move.
You must have missed where ownership said "we will be a cap team next season" and "we will match any offersheet for Weber"

Unless ownership is lying to us, money is not an issue. So yes, if we don't match it's either because ownership lied or Poile is insane.

Furthermore, if ownership says no to the deal, then it's still mostly Poile's fault for taking too long to make a decision on what to do with him. If we aren't willing to pay him boatloads of money, then he should have been traded before he signed the offer sheet.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:43 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
There are far more factors than simply wanting to stay in Nashville. He wants the best offer possible and Philadelphia offered that to him. He very very easily could've told the exact offer to Poile and said "if you want me to stay here, you have to match this" if he really wanted to stay here instead of signing an offer sheet.

The new CBA is also a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE factor on Weber's contract. There is no way around this. The man wants to be paid now and wants the security the current one offers which is great, but it seems like weber has done everything in his power try to not commit long term to nashville. Sorry, I don't see it.

If we match, great still don't think it lasts much over a year. Ultimately, it isn't Poile who decides these things, its the owners. I am not convinced the owners can match this and I think Weber knows that.
I guess I see your point of view, but I don't see it as likely. If Weber wanted out of Nashville there are other, better ways of doing it. He wouldn't have signed the offer sheet if he wasn't OK with staying in Nashville. That is what offer sheets are, by definition.

Always seems like you and a few others always think negatively about every situation It's hard to tell when you are being serious

Old
07-19-2012, 04:01 AM
redsox7327

Damn, though, so Weber will only be owed $74 million over 13 years after the first year of the deal? If Nashville wants to trade him, teams will be offering up everything and anything for him.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Osprey

A few of you are saying that this proves that Weber doesn't want to be a Pred. No, it proves almost the opposite. If he weren't more than happy to spend the rest of his career as a Pred, would he have signed an offer sheet that Poile could easily match? Of course he wouldn't have. We knew this before. We knew that he wouldn't sign an offer sheet if he wanted to leave.

Consider what I think is going on:
Shea wants to sign a long-term deal with Preds
Preds make offer, but it isn't quite the amount, term or structure that Shea wants
Preds, either for leverage or seriously, start to shop Shea
Shea fears that he'll be traded (and without him having any say as to where)
Shea's #1 choice is Preds and #2 choice is Flyers
Shea signs the deal that he wants with the Flyers
If Preds match, Shea gets the deal with them that he wanted all along
If Preds don't match, Shea at least goes to his #2 choice

If I'm right, then all that this is is Weber using leverage to get the deal with the Preds that Poile has been reluctant to offer. It's a little heavy-handed and risky, but Weber is on the clock here. He wants a long-term deal before the current CBA runs out in less than two months and he also doesn't want Poile to trade him simply because he's not accepting their current offer. Beyond just being shipped away from his preferred team, he could be traded to a team that he doesn't care for, and he'd be forced to play for that team for a year before finally getting his choice. By signing an offer sheet, he gets to choose where to play if it's not with the Preds. The bottom line, IMO, is that he's saying that he'd be more than happy to spend the rest of his career with the Preds, but wants his terms and, if they happen to be unacceptable, wants to at least choose where he goes.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-19-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 05:46 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
A few of you are saying that this proves that Weber doesn't want to be a Pred. No, it proves the exact opposite. If he didn't want to remain a Pred, would he have signed an offer sheet that Poile could easily match? Of course he wouldn't have. We knew this before. We knew that he wouldn't sign an offer sheet if he wanted to leave.

Consider what I think is going on:
Shea wants to sign a long-term deal with Preds
Preds make offer, but it isn't quite the amount, term or structure that Shea wants
Preds, either for leverage or seriously, start to shop Shea
Shea fears that he'll be traded (and without him having any say as to where)
Shea's #1 choice is Preds and #2 choice is Flyers
Shea signs the deal that he wants with the Flyers
If Preds match, Shea gets the deal with them that he wanted all along
If Preds don't match, Shea at least goes to his #2 choice

If I'm right, then all that this is is Weber using leverage to get the deal with the Preds that Poile has been reluctant to offer. It's a little heavy-handed and risky, but Weber is on the clock here. He wants a long-term deal before the current CBA runs out in less than two months and he also doesn't want Poile to trade him simply because he's not accepting their current offer. Beyond just being shipped away from his preferred team, he could be traded to a team that he doesn't care for, and he'd be forced to play for that team for a year before finally getting his choice. By signing an offer sheet, he gets to choose where to play if it's not with the Preds. The bottom line, IMO, is that he's saying that he'd be more than happy to spend the rest of his career with the Preds, but wants his terms and, if they happen to be unacceptable, wants to at least choose where he goes.
You have brought too much reason on here. All we know how to do is freak out. I guess we'll all know within 7 days.

Closed Thread