HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber In Vancouver: Why We Never Had a Chance

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Weber In Vancouver: Why We Never Had a Chance

Guys... I'm heart-broken. I knew it wouldn't happen, because good things almost never happen to me, or the Canucks, even when they are sure-fire (like Schultz) - but I'm still heart broken.

The small bit of solace I'm trying to find from this, is that we never had a chance. The offersheet is gauranteed to be matched by Nashville, so Holmgren is simply gifting Weber to him. So an offersheet from us would obviously do the same thing. So the only way we could get Weber was through a trade. So who could we trade?

The teams we were up against, reportedly, were Philly, Detroit, NYR, and San Jose. Philly cold trade Couturier plus Brayden Schenn plus more. NYR could trade MacDonaugh plus Kreider plus more. San Jose could trade Pavelski plus Couture plus more. Detroit I don't think could come close to compete with these other teams, but Brendan Smith is still a much better prospect than anyone we have (that is NHL ready).

So who do we have? The only pieces we have in our system that come close to competing with a Couture or a Couturier or a MacDonaugh are Edler and Kesler. that is it. Edler is meaningless to Nashville because he will be UFA in 1 year. A UFA is useless to Nashville, for obvious reasons, plus he almost definitely won't re-sign with Nashville when he hits UFA anyways.

1) That leaves Kesler as the only piece we could base a deal around. But think about it - who helps our team more? Weber at 8+ million, or Kesler at 5? Take into account the cap hit, and consider the team's delicate cap structure, where all our players take a big paycut to play here. Well, 8+ completely screws everything up - the current players will be dissatified, and future players will NOT take a paycut to play here.

2) But even more importantly, we have a really good defense as-is. We have 2 amazing pairs right now, with Garrison added. And our 3rd pair is probably one of the best in the league as well. Simply put, our defense is fantastic, and one of the best in the league. Our Offense? Not so much. We can't score enough, this is our problem every year in the playoffs. So should we trade our all-star center, the selke-winning 40-goal scorer - trade him away for another defenseman? As tempting as Weber is, it is probably not a wise decision, if we look at our situation from a logical perspective. We need ANOTHER 2nd liner RIGHT NOW, not to take OUR ONLY star 2nd liner away for even more defensive depth.

3) And on top of both of these reasons to not trade Kesler for Weber, there is also this: Kesler wouldn't be enough. Most likely, Poile was asking for the world. He wanted a king's ransom, and then the king's daughter, and then the king's wife, and then the king's balls. Kesler was very likely not enough for Poile.

So we couldn't make the trade, there is no way. And the offersheet is gauranteed to be signed by Nashville. So we couldn't do that either. If Nashville doesn't sign it - then I will eat my words, and then I will have been wrong. Then we would have had some possibility of landing Weber. But at this point, Nashville looks sure to sign, and it looks like we never had a chance. Never.

---

Also, if Nashville doesn't sign the offersheet, and Weber goes to the Flyers... I can't prove this, but I have a gut-feeling Weber never wanted to come here anyways. He's an extremely down-to-earth*, quiet guy who likes small towns, (why he loves Nashville), hates fans coming up to him on streets, hates being bothered when he goes to pick an item up at RONA (this is what happened to him this summer when he went to a RONA in Kelowna). He probably didn't want to spend his life under an intense microscope. Because as big of a hockey-market Philly is for a US city... it is still a US city. Different beast all together.

So I think we never had a chance at Weber no matter what happens. But I am almost certain Nashville signs the offersheet anyways.

But guys, our defense looks amazing heading into this next year, one of the best in the league easy. And our offense is pretty damn good - if we can add one more piece, we will be in good shape. And OFFENSE is where we need to add a piece, not defense...

Let the Doan-to-Vancouver saga begin...

---

*I said Weber is a down to earth guy - this obviously doesn't refer to money. It only means he doesn't like attention or spotlight. This obviously doesn't mean he wants to live like a regular person, because he just demonstrated that the most important thing to him is 100 million dollars. Even winning isn't important, because he doesn't care whether he plays in Philly or Nashville, as long as the price is right. Please understand, this isn't a criticism of Weber, because almost everyone in our society holds the same values. I'm simply pointing out a fact.

*1), 2), 3) refer to the 3 reasons we shouldn't trade Kesler for Weber

*4) would be that Kesler is the engine of our team. As he goes, so goes our team.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:04 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

vCash: 500
I feel you.
Like you said, odds were stacked against us.
Weber might not even have wanted to come here.
Get some sleep, and see what happens tomorrow.

I have a feeling this is not over yet.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I'm not. Just thinking of the price we have to pay to compete with that insane OS, I'm content Gillis didn't lose his mind like Holmgren.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
To be honest, I thought it was foolish to even pin all your hopes on this guy coming to Vancouver.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:08 AM
KISSland

It's not guaranteed it is matched. We had a chance, we just like sleep better at night so we tell ourselves lies. I'm anxious to hear these reports. We'll see if Gillis ever inquired or not or ever made an offersheet or not.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:09 AM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
this thread isn't overdramatic at all, nope

Old
NugentHopkinsfan

Gillis was probably like ok here's 6 years 4.61 cap hit take it or leave it.

Weber left it.

Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I am still shocked that any GM would go after Weber until next year...

Old
07-19-2012, 03:11 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Some valid points made here.

Nonetheless, good. Now we can focus on acquiring more scoring talent up front.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:12 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Gillis was probably like ok here's 6 years 4.61 cap hit take it or leave it.

Weber left it.
You've got to be kidding me man.. at least be somewhat realistic here.. It was obviously 4.6MM/6yrs to match Bieksa's. Come on bro.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:19 AM
TheDiver*

It just adds to the great list of BC born players who never played here:

Scott Niedermayer
Joe Sakic
Paul Kariya
Rod Brind'Amour
Glenn Anderson
Ray Ferraro
Dr. Mark Recchi

Old
07-19-2012, 03:24 AM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
You've got to be kidding me man.. at least be somewhat realistic here.. It was obviously 4.6MM/6yrs to match Bieksa's. Come on bro.
LoL, eventually gillis and some people on here will need to accept the fact we cant expect to sign a big name by thinking they will take a home town discount, or its simply needs to fit our salary structure. If we want to be competitive we will have to spend above and beyond at some point.

Not saying this has anything to do with what happened, its just my general feeling gillis has did a 180 since the days of roberto and sundin and he might need to loosen the pocket book again in the future if we want to stay competitive with a player we really need.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:33 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
LoL, eventually gillis and some people on here will need to accept the fact we cant expect to sign a big name by thinking they will take a home town discount, or its simply needs to fit our salary structure. If we want to be competitive we will have to spend above and beyond at some point.

Not saying this has anything to do with what happened, its just my general feeling gillis has did a 180 since the days of roberto and sundin and he might need to loosen the pocket book again in the future if we want to stay competitive with a player we really need.
I agree. Pay for who ever is willing to sign a discount, over pay for players that are worth it and don't want to sign a discount.

If we offersheeted Weber 9MMx14yrs. And then trade Edler for Voracek+, we could've been laughing to the finals right about now..

Old
07-19-2012, 03:48 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

That's the world's smallest violin playing for you.

On a more serious note we have a Weber thread.