HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With Flyers, 14yrs/$100m+ (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 07:54 AM
LSnow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
Predators have an internal budget and I'm guessing that 26mil in cash for one player in one season does not fit into that budget.
They could loan the money, so instead of paying 25 million a year they could pay it for example 14 years..

Old
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
Predators have an internal budget and I'm guessing that 26mil in cash for one player in one season does not fit into that budget.
But weren't they planning to keep Suter and Weber anyway? So now instead of using that money on two players they are going to be using it on one player. They don't have much choice.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Does anyone think Nashville actually won't match?
I hope they do but can they afford to?
The contract will be very front loaded. They will have to pay a massive signing bonus right after they sign the deal and next season will likely be shortened by a lockout.
If the Dreger tweet about a 26m season is correct in the next calendar year they could have to pay the guy upwards of 40M dollars.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:55 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Just waking to this news... Here's my question... If Weber wants out, why not decline the offer and demand a trade?
Demand a trade by Weber or the organization? It's to my knowledge that once a player signs an offer sheet, he can't be dealt. They can either match the offer sheet or accept the compensation. That's it.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:55 AM
JackBauer

People who think it's this easy for Nasvhille not to match don't understand the game beyond ice level. Have you been to Nasvhille? Have you walked around and seen who is on all the advertisements for the Preds? Have you seen who does the TV ads? Have you seen who fans have on the back of their jerseys? The hit Nashville takes in publicity and ticket sales by losing their two marquee players in one offseason for literally nothing (until 2, likely 3, years from now, when, best case scenario a player picked ~20th plays in the NHL) is insurmountably bigger than the 4 1sts. Unless of course, you are of the firm belief that fans in the south, in a city that borderline cares about hockey when the team makes it to the playoffs, are going to come out in droves to see a Finnish goalie and Carrie Underwood's husband.

I also disagree that Weber < 4 1sts but that doesn't really play into the real argument.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:57 AM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Just waking to this news... Here's my question... If Weber wants out, why not decline the offer and demand a trade?
Or he just signed the contract he wants with the team he wants.

Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

WOW. Did not expect this.

Old
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

Believe me I really hope the Preds do match as I hate the flyers, I'm just saying that its not as easy of a decision for Nashville as many people are making it out to be.

Old
Ishad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
The contract will be very front loaded. They will have to pay a massive signing bonus right after they sign the deal and next season will likely be shortened by a lockout.
If the Dreger tweet about a 26m season is correct in the next calendar year they could have to pay the guy upwards of 40M dollars.
Preds are $14 million under the cap floor. If they can't afford to match they can't afford a franchise.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoSlade View Post
After paying the likely huge $$$ in the first year, there is no way in hell he gets traded. If Nashville matches...Weber will be a predator for a long time.
Yeah. Holmgren basically told the rest of the NHL, Shea Weber will either be a Pred or a Flyer, you other guys f-off.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:58 AM
ndgt10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
Preds are $14 million under the cap floor. If they can't afford to match they can't afford a franchise.
Exactly. They will match.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Krishna

Voracek + Meszaros + Gustafsson + 2 1sts

Thoughts?

Old
07-19-2012, 08:00 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Well at the very least Ken Holland, Glen Sather, and Doug Wilson are all pissed since they were no doubt sitting on offer sheets but not submitting them to Weber and his agent because they were respecting the negotiating process.
Sather has said several times he does not believe in extending offer sheets to any player.

It's within the rules to do it, he's just not comfortable doing that.

I think it's good for any team to do it. I applaud the Flyers for forcing the Predators hand here.

I just hope the Preds match

Old
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Love all the Pittsburgh fans ******** their pants in this thread.

Old
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeStarve4Success View Post
"Sources close to the NHL agree that this offer may be in violation of the collective bargaining agreement"

Fail.
If it were, then does that mean it's off the table and suddenly everyone is throwing an offer sheet at Weber or does Philly get a chance to revise without anyone else being allowed to make an offer?

Old
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Exactly. They will match.
You know, that isn't fair to say. Why do you think A cap was in place? NOBODY expected the cap to rise the way it has, which is why Bettman is going to reconfigure the entire agreement during this next round of talks.

What Holmgren did was give the PA a ton of ammo to line his own pockets and help HIS team, where HE has the owner who has the money to allow him to continue to make these ridiculous moves.

Not only will the NHL reject this offer-sheet (I'll bet on it), Holmgren will be fined. No way that this precedent is set right before Bettman is about to go to war for the OWNERS.

This is a league where only a handful of teams make money. Not every team, just because they have the space on a ridiculous 60+ million dollar cap, can afford to match this type of offer.

Once again HFBoards acts on delusions and refuses to look at reality in this situation. For ****s sake, 26 million dollar signing bonus? That is a malicious act from one owner to another to impede the negotiation and restrict the ability for that owner to sign his player. That is circumvention of the salary cap because it is a way to get a player in a fashion another team cannot do. You bet your ass Gary Bettman sides with Nashville.

Old
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Negativity understood. No one is going the way of Milbury dude, keep dreaming.
as much as i hate the flyers(as well as the rest of the atlantic, nothing personal), i wouldnt wish anyone a milbury-esque GM. Dude destroyed our franchise and we STILL havent recovered. Snow took over and our best prospects were Robert Nilsson and Ryan Omara...think about THAT. Milbury sucks...

I hope Nashville matches. Losing Weber AND Suter is brutal. Philly has enough talent to make a run, just need Bryz to get his head right. Adding Weber is an embarrassment of riches

Old
07-19-2012, 08:02 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Yeah. Holmgren basically told the rest of the NHL, Shea Weber will either be a Pred or a Flyer, you other guys f-off.
That's the genius is this. Hell of a move by the Flyers.

Old
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
I'm positive the Preds have already decided to match and any delay will only be to allow them the time to best recalculate what will be a large change to their cashflow projections. They have no choice but to match.

There will be a lot of folks pissed at Snider and Holmgren over this especially at this time, not the least of which will be little Gary.

Old
Blueland89

This is awesome schenn then weber if nashville doesn't match this philli is a serious contender

Old
07-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
If it were, then does that mean it's off the table and suddenly everyone is throwing an offer sheet at Weber or does Philly get a chance to revise without anyone else being allowed to make an offer?
I'm still waiting for the source to this. Probably fake acc

Old
07-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
yes.
Looking at the CBA, I'm not sure this is true. Section 10.3 states:

Quote:
An Offer Sheet, once signed by the Player and the New Club, shall be irrevocable.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
So they would have to spend another 7M to reach the floor, bringing their total team payroll to ~71M for the next calendar year. Don't know Nashvilles finances, but thats a lot for a big market team.

Old
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Voracek + Meszaros + Gustafsson + 2 1sts

Thoughts?
For a Shea Weber that apparently has been signed to a reasonable contract?

Start with Coburn and Coots, then add....

Old
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I believe it would be structured so 14 mil is payable this year, with a ton of it being signing bonus, and another 12 mil signing onus next year, on July 1st.

Closed Thread