HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Actually, yes - I'm one of several million who decides who and what city gets an NHL franchise - I vote with my wallet.

Let Weber go for a bunch of draft picks, and I will probably find other things to do than drive over from Knoxville 8 times a year or so. I'd bet quite a few Preds fans will agree with me. Then see a half empty Bridgestone Arena, then see owners with cold feet, then see the Hamilton Preds.

Also, no one has advocated "constantly" paying at unheard of levels - we're simply saying that if it was time to pony up the dough to any player, this is it. We don't have to do it constantly, but we should be prepared to do it at least once in a while when the circumstances dictate.

Well done 101, it took you like 7 posts to go full-on ***** mode. Tomorrow, we'll try for 8.
You went there in one with the Quebec concept. If this were Name That Tune, you would have won.

We're in an unheard of position financially. Brad Richards was the only $20mil plus signing bonus .... 28mil spread over six years. This summer saw Parise and Suter getting $25mil over three. We're now looking at possibly coughing up even more to keep Weber. This is CBA uncertainty driving bonuses wild ... and for a team that struggles to break even (a rarity in the league during the regular season if you read the press releases), the possibility of $25mil + in a twelve month span is tough to swallow. It's tough for any team. Hell, even the Rangers didn't sign Richards to a deal with that much of a front loaded burden.

If the team can afford the upfront cash, they should match. If it means putting the team into a financially precarious position, the owners could very well say no.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Jarnberg

Normally you'd think this would be a slam dunk for the Predators. However, the kicker here is going to be the upfront pay. I think the normal salary would be fine for us, but I have a hard time believing the upfront pay is going to be feasible for us. Of course, one would argue that we could perhaps lose more from that by not having Weber.

Obviously the upfront pay is speculation but if true, the Predators would have to pay a huge amount for one year of Weber and then would be able to pay him, when he isn't due as much. Talk about screwed.

If Weber truly wanted out, then why would he sign a long term offer sheet knowing the Predators could match? But also, if that deal is the one he accepts, why didn't the Predators sign him to that?

It sounds like the kicker here is the upfront money. I fear that will be the decider in matching the offersheet as well.

If the Predators accept the offersheet, it sends a big message to the league; if they do not, then it reinforces the belief that the franchise is cheap.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:50 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Four late first rounders for a perennial Norris candidate is a terrible return. The Preds will match it. They probably don't like all the money up front, but he's the best Dman in the NHL(got snubbed for the Norris this year IMO), they have to match it. If things really are sour between Shea and the ownership, then ship him out one year from now for a King's ransom. There would be teams lining up at the Preds door begging to trade for him, and it would be a heck of a lot more than 4 late first rounders.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
According to Kypreos its

Quote:
#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

14 million a year for the first 4 years. Preds should be able to easily match it if we were supposed to be a cap team, because we are not able to hit the cap this year.

Old
stefanh

Hey guys

According to Nick Kyperos here is the deal:

RealKyper - #Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

so: 14 14 14 14 12 12 6 6 6 6 3 1 1 1

$7.857M in cap hit

Old
Top 6 Spaling

Agree to disagree with a lot of people in this thread. IMO all of the signs we're getting point to Weber wanting to leave. I could be wrong. I have been before. There is just no way this is a "positive" thing. It isn't the end of the world of course. We can match, then if he wants to leave, trade him for a one-trade-rebuild type return.

Just don't see the logic in "Weber wants to be here, he just wanted Philly's contract". I'm pretty sure Poile offered Weber a very similar deal, and Weber chose Philly's instead. Yes, he didn't sign a 1 year offer sheet, but I think that has more to do with the fact that the new CBA will likely ba "lifetime" contracts. Poile was shopping Weber and missed a "deadline". I would assume Weber told him "Trade me by this day or i'm signing an offer sheet." Poile didn't. Weber signed.

His deal is reportedly heavily frontloaded. If he wanted to be here, he wouldn't sign a deal that is aimed at targeting Nashville's status as a small market team. This contract is made to be a Nashville killer, and while I think we will still match, the point is that Weber signed a contract meant to get him out of Nashville. I can't see that as a positive thing.

Match it, trade him in a year for the biggest return in history.

EDIT: If what Kypreos just tweeted is the deal, I digress on the third paragraph. That is much better for us and makes me feel a ton better. It's frontloaded, but not horribly so. Ok, that brightened my mood.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Jarnberg

Edit: Post was on speculation of $26 million. Posts above remove that.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:55 AM
PredsHockey

If the Predators accept the offersheet, it sends a big message to the league; if they do not, then it reinforces the belief that the franchise is cheap.

This X10000. We are the ones that were complaining about being one step away from being a farm team. Did you see FA's lining up to play here? We are a small market team with the chance to become something a little more than that. If you thought Suter was a "S**t or get off the pot" moment, this is on another planet. This is the biggest moment in our franchise to show people THIS IS WHERE ITS AT! Players are not dumb, they know the inner workings of this league. If you see someone like Shea Weber sign here, that might be just enough to open some peoples eyes. We have a great system, young guys who are willing to step their game up, and are now probably keeping one of the best D-man in the league and one of the best netminders for at least 7 more years! WORST CASE SCENARIO he signs here 14 years, things are not working out between Weber and the team (whether it be after next year or year after),we ship him off for WAY more than 4 first rounders. If the contract is already there and in stone, teams will give up WAY more than what we are expecting. It's a win-win. Think about it this way, we make the Conf. Finals next year that extra money we make on revenue wont make this look so bad lol.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Jerzey Devil

Let him walk. Especially if he already signed the offer sheet.

Devils got Scott freakin Stevens from an offer sheet on Brendan Shannahan. The compensation for Weber could be Giroux or better.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Yeah... This is what I was thinking. He knows the Preds will match. Why not decline the offer sheet and demand a trade?
Because as soon as the new CBA comes out, lifetime deals will likely be banned. Weber HAD to have his deal done in the next week or so. I assume that's what Dreger was talking about when he said "Deadlines". Weber gave Poile a chance to trade him, but couldn't risk it any longer.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Jarnberg

Those bonuses are a hard pill to swallow for our franchise. I don't see us matching.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:59 AM
The 29th Pick
Where's Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
Let him walk. Especially if he already signed the offer sheet.

Devils got Scott freakin Stevens from an offer sheet on Brendan Shannahan. The compensation for Weber could be Giroux or better.
This is different...there is no tampering (as far as I know) which means Nashville wont get an equal player in return, just good draft picks. (but Philly is/will be a good team for a while so those draft picks wont be Edmonton quality first rounders)
I hope Nashville matches the offer and keeps Shea.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
As an aside, nothing in the fish wrap about this. Amazing.
Cooper is on vacation and tweeted to follow the two guys assigned to cover the Preds beat last night. Neither had tweeted anything about the Preds and were likely in bed...

Old
07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
MrJoshua

If that Kypreos tweet about the deal is correct, Preds should match without hesitation. Then if Weber really wants out, you trade him next summer and get a truly massive return because at that point you're dealing a Norris-caliber defenseman locked into a lifetime contract at a very reasonable cap hit.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Top 6 Spaling

The fact that it's only 14mil to start with, not 26, make me feel thousands of times better. One of the pieces of evidence that pointed IMO most strongly to Weber wanting out is gone. I am a lot more comfortable now

Old
07-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Cooper is on vacation and tweeted to follow the two guys assigned to cover the Preds beat last night. Neither had tweeted anything about the Preds and were likely in bed...
Good twitter conversation by the way. Im that jryd guy.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Really, I think Poile was probably offering a deal that was a straight 7.5 million for probably 13 years. That's roughly a 100 million dollar deal. Weber likely wanted his money up front.

If Poile was mad about not matching Suter's deal, Weber's will be easy, because there is only one player to pay instead of two.

Old
93KILLER93

This one hurts....Shea and his agent are taking advantage of a small window of oppurtunity to obtain a career deal.Once the new CBA is rewritten these contracts will be a thing of the past. Poile was going to ride it out and Weber forced the issue.
The latest reports have this deal at $110 over 14 years. I am sure Holmgron understands that Nashville would match a cap of $7.85 so it has to be front loaded.It will make it a difficult decision for Poile(well in this case David Freeman).

What might be more difficult is getting to the floor without Weber. I guess you could take the 4 firsts and trade them for something substantial.In any case, should be interesting.
P.S If you cant match, you can have Lombardi back free of charge. Consider it our favour lol

Old
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Those bonuses are a hard pill to swallow for our franchise. I don't see us matching.
I see that as a very favorible contract for us so I am going to have to disagree..

If we don't match, something is wrong.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Jerzey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARGSY View Post
This is different...there is no tampering (as far as I know) which means Nashville wont get an equal player in return, just good draft picks. (but Philly is/will be a good team for a while so those draft picks wont be Edmonton quality first rounders)
I hope Nashville matches the offer and keeps Shea.
That sucks.

I really am sorry Peds fans. Don't know what to say now.

Preds should match and then trade his ass.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I wouldn't be surprised if we matched today. Not guaranteeing it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
That sucks.

I really am sorry Peds fans. Don't know what to say now.

Preds should match and then trade his ass.
We can't for a year.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Jarnberg

I could easily be wrong here, but aren't bonuses paid in a lump sum instead of throughout the year? That is the part that could be hard for us to swallow.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see a single reason not to match it. It's a pretty good deal, IMHO, but it's not my money..

Old
07-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Blackhawks4life

It would be nice to lose Weber, Suter, Lidstrom and Stuart from our division but as a hockey fan, I hope they resign him. I can't see how they don't and Weber has forced his hand here. He is stuck in Nash if they want to keep him. To go further, if they can't afford him, i hope they sign and trade him for prospects and nhl ready players to a team in philly's division or a rival....nyi have the money or nj....Homer will regret this as this is frowned upon by gm's. I hope giroux, schen etc get offer sheets!! Good luck preds fans!!

Closed Thread