HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 09:08 AM
The 29th Pick
Cherry Pickin-Stats

vCash: 500
I think Shea did this to get a PHAT contract before the CBA changes these types of contracts.
Nashville will match and Shea will be happy for many years as a Pred

Old
07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Just want to say that I will be rooting hard for the Preds as my #2 WC team if Poile decides to let Weber leave and takes the 4 1st round picks. Weber obviously wants to be a mercenary.

If that happens I hope every one of those 1st round picks is in the top 10.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Good twitter conversation by the way. Im that jryd guy.
OK, yeah. I enjoyed talking with you too. Phone wouldn't stop pinging last night with all the RT's and replies!

Old
07-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The fact that it is Philly and what they did with Richards AND Carter after they signed their life long contracts with the Flyers makes me wonder how smart Shea really is ... Understand that Shea wants to be paid ... but this is ridiculous that after what he saw with those two core pieces the last summer ... wow

Old
07-19-2012, 09:11 AM
predfan24

Isn't that contract as structured cap circumvention?

Old
07-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
The fact that it's only 14mil to start with, not 26, make me feel thousands of times better. One of the pieces of evidence that pointed IMO most strongly to Weber wanting out is gone. I am a lot more comfortable now
It could have never been 26 M up front, the max salary is 20% of the cap and that = 14 M salary.

But the 2nd signing bonus is likely on July 1 2013, so it's basically 27 M in 1 calendar year.

Really hope you guys match this.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
If he wants out, do we want him here. Thats the question.
Scott Stevens signed a huge offer-sheet with St. Louis after the 1994 season. Devils matched. Next year he lead them to 1995 Cup and he's become a fixture in NJ and now is even their new assistant coach.

It's business, not personal.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
The 29th Pick
Cherry Pickin-Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
The fact that it is Philly and what they did with Richards AND Carter after they signed their life long contracts with the Flyers makes me wonder how smart Shea really is ... Understand that Shea wants to be paid ... but this is ridiculous that after what he saw with those two core pieces the last summer ... wow
Players seem to get what they want eventually....Richards and Carter got PAID, then won a cup after eventually landing on a team they liked.
They got their cake and ate it too.
I think Shea will stay a Predator for a long time once they match

Old
07-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Keep in mind guys the matching is not up to Poile, it's up to the ownership.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:19 AM
The 29th Pick
Cherry Pickin-Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Scott Stevens signed a huge offer-sheet with St. Louis after the 1994 season. Devils matched. Next year he lead them to 1995 Cup and he's become a fixture in NJ and now is even their new assistant coach.

It's business, not personal.
And timing too.......these big contracts may be on the way out very soon.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Haj

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Four 1sts in the 20-30 range isn't all that great considering the other option is to have a multiple Norris-nominated defenseman locked up for life.
Yes, my sentiments exactly.

Weber is the best all around defense man in the game. That known value is worth more than the potential of 4 1st Round picks.

Even if the picks turn out to be above average, they won't impact the pro team for at least a couple years after the draft.

Poile will match the offer, unless his hands are fiscally tied.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:20 AM
The 29th Pick
Cherry Pickin-Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
Keep in mind guys the matching is not up to Poile, it's up to the ownership.
It would be a huge blow to the franchise if you lost Suter and Weber within a few weeks, and if you guys were gonna pay Suter big bucks, now that money has to go to Shea.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARGSY View Post
It would be a huge blow to the franchise if you lost Suter and Weber within a few weeks, and if you guys were gonna pay Suter big bucks, now that money has to go to Shea.
I completely agree. This is the biggest turning point in franchise history. Letting the face of your franchise go when it only cost's money to keep him would be a death blow to the fanbase.

I understand it's alot of money up front, and maybe Shea really doesn't want to be here, but I don't see why he would sign this deal if he had no desire to stay in Nashville. If he really wanted out he could have just not signed until he was traded and forced Poile's hand that way.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Hugo Sham

you guys will match. guaranteed. At that point worse case scenario you can trade him to Philly for assets that will help you now.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:30 AM
codeman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsHockey View Post
I'm SHOCKED that people are so negative on here (sarcasm off). If all this information is true, how is this a terrible thing? Look, we knew it was going to take a lot to keep him here, but no one knew HOW much. These trade winds on Weber were getting crazy on what teams were "offering." With the new CBA looming, a deal needed to be done. Poile, I'm assuming, entertained many avenues he could have taken with this. Yeah, he was probably taking a look at trading him, as he was looking to resign him as well. I can only imagine that Poile went up to see Weber and his agent and they wanted the best deal. I can only take his word and say he WANTS to stay in Nashville, and signing this offer sheet almost assumes that.

Polie already came out and said we would match any offer. Weber knew (and I thought I remember a quote) saying he knew Poile would match a deal. Weber/Flyers put his price out there, but at the same time, put Nashville in a great position. They can MATCH now. He kept his interest in mind obviously (as you should as a working man), but this plays to our advantage awesomely.I feel if he didnt want to sign here, he would have taken a 1 year and went UFA, but the CBA kinda nixed that. However, I find it hard pressed to believe this idea of signing an offer sheet was a "middle finger" to us or whatever most people on here are saying. I know losing Suter hurts and the way he did it seemed cruel, but Weber is cut from a different cloth. This guy can and is a leader and one of the best in the NHL. He is going to get paid, no question. We have the money, we have the technology (lol sorry...). This is good news people we are about to sign Mr. Weber for 14 years! Get excited!
Finally...a voice of reason!!!

Old
07-19-2012, 09:33 AM
jfc64

Is Weber really happy with only a 7.1 million cap hit?? I would sign him for today for 8 and in five years he might make 10. The dude is looking for an early retirement. Maybe P Liers have discovered a finacially weak spot?

Old
07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
predfan24

I can't see how Preds don't match this. They were willing to sign Suter and Weber which when you would add both their salaries together and signing bonuses would have been a lot of money the first few years! If they were willing to do that then certainly they should be willing to pony up for just Weber. Philly likely did us a huge favor.

Old
Nothing Is New

Overall, this is good news for the Preds. We have an avenue to lock up the best defenseman in hockey for the rest of his career. The only real question is not salary cap, but how much cash the ownership has - can they pay the first couple of cash-laden front-end loaded years. After that, Weber is a huge bargain.

Interesting to put yourself in Weber and his agent's minds. Most of the superstars seem to really want long term deals. I'm betting Poile's offer to Weber was enough per year, but was not long enough. Weber probably was probably more 'gray' than anything else about staying in Nashville: liked it well enough but could be happy elsewhere, especially with an overwhelming offer. Philly was (obviously) an acceptable alternative. He signs their offer sheet, with either outcome being one he is happy with, especially before a new restricting CBA.

Then it all gets down to: does Nashville have the upfront cash to pay the 'Philly' deal?

And, I guess Philly and Nashville could negotiate alternate terms to the four (crummy) draft picks - if Weber is dead set about leaving (which I doubt).

Old
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Is Weber really happy with only a 7.1 million cap hit?? I would sign him for today for 8 and in five years he might make 10. The dude is looking for an early retirement.
Weber could care less about the cap hit. All he wants is the cash paid, which is why the deal is front loaded.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:39 AM
The 29th Pick
Cherry Pickin-Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I completely agree. This is the biggest turning point in franchise history. Letting the face of your franchise go when it only cost's money to keep him would be a death blow to the fanbase.

I understand it's alot of money up front, and maybe Shea really doesn't want to be here, but I don't see why he would sign this deal if he had no desire to stay in Nashville. If he really wanted out he could have just not signed until he was traded and forced Poile's hand that way.
The money up front is crazy, and it almost makes the cap a non issue these days because teams with mega bucks just offer these crazy signing bonus's
But I think Shea just see's what players are getting, and he wants a piece of the pie now, before the CBA changes these types of contracts. I think he's happy in nashville...it's just timing.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:40 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
you guys will match. guaranteed. At that point worse case scenario you can trade him to Philly for assets that will help you now.
can't trade him for a calander year, which we would have paid 26-28 mil in actual cash. someone would be paying through the nose.

80 mil the first 6 years, the big money portion is all insurable. That is a positive.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

I don't blame Weber one bit for signing the offer sheet. He wants to be paid like the #1 defenseman in the NHL, and he is going to be.

Sakic and Federov both signed offer sheets, and both were matched and they led their teams to the cup not long after.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Shea Weber

14 mil / year for first 4 years! Wow.

I'd sign that too. Wait....I did.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:49 AM
The 29th Pick
Cherry Pickin-Stats

Quote: