HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With Flyers, 14yrs/$100m+ (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Son of Donegal

vCash: 500
My brother tells me that Philly's offer sheet pays our 26 million in the first year of the contract??

If so, they did this purposefully to prevent Nashville being able to match them.

He also made a good point....when Giroux becones a RFA in 2014-15...someone is going to seek revenge on Holmgren.

Should be interesting.

Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I would have thought this would be an instant match but can Nashville pony up the two bonuses in less than a calendar year?
If we believe as we're told that their ownership has given them the green light to spend up to the cap limit - why not?

Problem is, this bonus money will reduce the actual amount of money available to 'fill-out' the roster (remember, the Preds couldn't win with Rinne, Weber *and Suter*).

Only the "cash rich teams" spend up to the cap limit AND have cash salaries (due to front-loaded contracts) well above that that limit.

Old
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
wow, crazy news ...im a bit late to all the discussion, but a couple things that jump out at me ...

Phi-Nas have been one of thse happy-frequent-trading partner duos (like Van-Fla) ....odd that Flyers would pull a move like this one them? Or is it just a case of "all's fair in love war..."

Also, maybe I'm wrong, but I read this as ol' Shea was in the end all about the $$$... doesnt care if he's back in Nash, or Philly or wherever, he just wanted his massive payday. Not that there's anything horribly wrong w that, but there was a lot talk/speculation about his character, blah blah (and so much or the wishful thinking by us Nuck fans that he wanted to "come home...")

Now watch Doan sign for $8Mx5 with the Isles
(sorry Islesfans, lowblow, i know)
This is exactly what I was thinking. Poile and Holmgren are friends. So that presented itself with a theory. Holmgren did this for Poile as a favor because he couldn't get Weber signed to a long term deal. This way, all he has to do is match and now he has Weber signed to a long term deal.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:27 AM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Can't trade him for a full year
NHL is stupid, should be like the NBA with the sign and trade rule.

Old
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Taken off the flyers board

That jersey could turn into a Preds one really quickly, though, so as a Flyers fan, I'd really hold back on that for now. Who knows who it will be that has to deal with stuff. We only know it's not going to be Weber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Signing bonus gets paid right away so he'll have $13 million to tide him over if there's a lockout this season.
True. Good point.

Old
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

If this proposed offer sheet was strictly salary driven, I think Nashville would have matched without batting an eye. I don't believe this team would have much of a problem spending to the cap; over the course of a season.

Where this becomes tricky, is that this offer sheet is not salary driven. Speaking purely of signing bonus', Weber is to be paid out $68 million in the first 6 years on just lump sums alone. There's not a lot of business', let alone sports franchises, that have the means to do that.

It's one thing to pay the sort of money that this contract outlines over the course of a hockey season. It's completely different to expect a franchise to have $68 million freed up in terms of 6 lump sums...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Typical arrogant Kypreos on twitter acting like there's not a chance NSH matches because of the bonuses.

They better match. It's basically franchise suicide if you do not.
Agreed. Losing Weber will cost them more than paying up those bonuses.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Donegal View Post
My brother tells me that Philly's offer sheet pays our 26 million in the first year of the contract??

If so, they did this purposefully to prevent Nashville being able to match them.

He also made a good point....when Giroux becones a RFA in 2014-15...someone is going to seek revenge on Holmgren.

Should be interesting.
That's if Giroux even gets to RFA or he SIGNS with the other team.

Old
putabergeronthegrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. Poile and Holmgren are friends. So that presented itself with a theory. Holmgren did this for Poile as a favor because he couldn't get Weber signed to a long term deal. This way, all he has to do is match and now he has Weber signed to a long term deal.
except there is no way nashville can match this. the cap hit is fine but there are only a few teams who can afford to pay a guy 26 mil in one year and nashville is NOT one of them

Old
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
If we believe as we're told that their ownership has given them the green light to spend up to the cap limit - why not?

Problem is, this bonus money will reduce the actual amount of money available to 'fill-out' the roster (remember, the Preds couldn't win with Rinne, Weber *and Suter*).

Only the "cash rich teams" spend up to the cap limit AND have cash salaries (due to front-loaded contracts) well above that that limit.
If they spent to the cap now, they would be spending about 77 or 78m due to the terms of the contract

Old
truefan8993

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Huh? Lol. Yea he signed the offer sheet. We all knew that,

Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
It's one calendar year

So nashville is stuck for 27m
THIS

Not sure why ppl think matching and later trading him is an opition for the Preds because its not. Plus I'd bet anything that the Flyers gave him a NTC, NTC kicks in on UFA years only, so July 1st, Nashville pays him the his full bonus and his NTC kicks him.

Oh man that's some slick stuff going on.

Old
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

“@DarrenDreger: Orriginal offer sheet for Shea Weber was 1yr, but Preds would match. $68 mil in bonus $ in 1st 6 yrs, $27 mil total in less than 1 year.”

No way Preds can match.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Tripod

not sure it has been stated...but for those who are saying match then trade him after 1 year...it might not be that easy to say that to the Nashville owner. If the 1st year is the 26 mill that is being talked about...then is the owner really going to want to pay Weber that $ for 1 year of work??????

Old
Halibut

Quote:
I would have thought this would be an instant match but can Nashville pony up the two bonuses in less than a calendar year?
I'm sure they can. If you are running a team in the NHL and arent prepared to pay at least 60 million in salaries in a season then you shouldnt be in the game. They'll have to work out sime kind of financing to get it done but they would be paying the same amount spread out over the year.

I think Holmgren just got tired of all these potential deals dragging on and nothing happening and just decide to throw a hand grenade to mess things up and get things moving.

Old
HTT3*

Quote:
Yeah they can, and they will, unfortunately for the Central Division.

Poile owes Holmgren a beer and a box of chocolates.

Old
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Stupid question but i'll still ask it:
Could Shea Weber just have said "NO" to philly and the offer sheet would have been rejected or is an RFA forced to accept any offers and wait for "your" team to match?

Old
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Weber is staying in Nashville, end of story. Not sure why Philly fans are excited.

Old
Fight Strap

Offer sheets for Schenn and Couturier all but guaranteed now.

Old
Luck 6
\\_______

I don't see why Nashville wouldn't match this. They were planning on giving 7.5mil each to Weber and Suter and they lost Suter. With all of the young defenders on ELC's that they have, I'm sure they can make it work. If they can't, I'd match the offer sheet and trade Weber for a value that exceeds 4x 1st round picks. I think they may need to wait a year before they're able to do so under the current CBA, but I'm sure they can make his salary work for a year even if it is 27mil. Ofcourse at that point, they may be better off keeping him what with what they've already shelled out.

Old
FallsForItEveryYear

has anyone checked to see if their is anything in the cba that says the flyers shouldnt already be paying the 13mil signing bonus. its a signing bonus and weber has signed. technically hes a flyer until nashville matches or 7 days go by. why is nash on the hook for the signing bonus if the flyers have already signed him.

could be an interesting cba loophole. (certainly the 1 calander year thing that would force nash to pay this years and next years signing bonus before being able to trade is a loophole so whats to say they cant reverse that on philly and expect philly to pay out the first signing bonus.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Typical arrogant Kypreos on twitter acting like there's not a chance NSH matches because of the bonuses.

They better match. It's basically franchise suicide if you do not.
Ill say this. If there is one franchise that can survive an Exodus of two stars it would be the Preds. Maybe not this year or next but eventually they would put together another 100 pt team with a roster full of players that have been drafted and groomed to fit trotz's system.

Old
benjiv1

I know that Nashville couldnt technically sign and trade Weber in the same year, BUT...Couldn't they make a trade with Philly before hand?

They could tell Philly that they are going to match the contract, unless the Flyers table a decent trade offer.

Nashville could in principle agree to trade the compensation draft picks right back, depending on the players coming back in the deal.

Even if they can't technically trade Weber now (I'm not entirely sure how it works), the Fylers could trade Voracek (example) for future considerations if Nashville in turn does not match the offer.

IMO the draft picks wont be enough, but Nashville will likely have a hard time swollowing the new contract.

I would propose something in the ball park of:

To Nashville:
-Simmonds
-Voracek
-1st in 2013
-1st in 2014

To Philadelphia:
-Weber
-Flyer's First in 2015
-Flyer's First in 2016

Old
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
If they spent to the cap now, they would be spending about 77 or 78m due to the terms of the contract
I'm going to address this to you, because I know you a tad better than most of these drones. Actively cheering about how you are ****ing over a team that plays in another conference who you are only competing against in the loosest of terms is dirty, dirty, dirty. Be happy if you get Weber, stop pissing on the Predators.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by putabergeronthegrill View Post
except there is no way nashville can match this. the cap hit is fine but there are only a few teams who can afford to pay a guy 26 mil in one year and nashville is NOT one of them
And you know this how exactly? Their owner said they were going to be a cap team and they were ready to give a similar deal to Suter while working on an extension with Weber. You're talking out of you ass.

Some of the people posting in this thread don't understand how much money will the Preds lose by letting Weber walk for nothing but draft picks.

Closed Thread