HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With Flyers, 14yrs/$100m+ (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Donegal View Post
My brother tells me that Philly's offer sheet pays our 26 million in the first year of the contract??

If so, they did this purposefully to prevent Nashville being able to match them.

He also made a good point....when Giroux becones a RFA in 2014-15...someone is going to seek revenge on Holmgren.

Should be interesting.
Giroux will be locked up well before he gets to that point.

Old
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Typical arrogant Kypreos on twitter acting like there's not a chance NSH matches because of the bonuses.

They better match. It's basically franchise suicide if you do not.
Could be financial suicide if they do.

Old
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
My concern is for league parity. Your example about the NBA is exactly what this league will become if budget teams don't have the money to hold on to their franchise players. Does this help league parity?
And my concern is popcorn, I wanna have something to talk about with hockey in the summer, Holmgren delivers.

Also as a neutral for me, it's nice having teams which you know are good yr to yr like Philly and having other teams suck (like Nsh when they became an expansion team).

Old
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Stupid question but i'll still ask it:
Could Shea Weber just have said "NO" to philly and the offer sheet would have been rejected or is an RFA forced to accept any offers and wait for "your" team to match?
Yes. Weber had to sign the offer sheet before it became official.

Old
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
He also made a good point....when Giroux becones a RFA in 2014-15...someone is going to seek revenge on Holmgren.

Should be interesting.
That would require Giroux still not having a contract extension, and actually wanting to sign an offer sheet. You can bet your life that won't be the case.

Old
TOG26

Quote:
Could Shea Weber just have said "NO" to philly and the offer sheet would have been rejected or is an RFA forced to accept any offers and wait for "your" team to match?
Weber signs whatever contract he wants. He could take one for less money from another team if he had the option. Now that he has signed, he either goes to Philly or takes the same contract with Nashville.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:32 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome Clitsome View Post
Offer sheets for Schenn and Couturier all but guaranteed now.
The Flyers are very good at extending their own impending free agents (often to their own detriment).

Old
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
Weber is staying in Nashville, end of story. Not sure why Philly fans are excited.
This is just obvious hatred for a fanbase. Im sure if your team signed a marquee player to an offer sheet you would be estatic as well. Though there may be a small chance Nashville does not match , we still have a chance. And that is more than you can say about 28 other teams in the league

Old
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Pens fan defending the flyers?

And guys, it's legal to do this. Deal with it.
I agree its legal. Hopefully the new CBA puts a end to this sort of contract.

Old
truefan8993

Quote:
Originally Posted by putabergeronthegrill View Post
except there is no way nashville can match this. the cap hit is fine but there are only a few teams who can afford to pay a guy 26 mil in one year and nashville is NOT one of them
Huh yes they are, what would just make you that assumption on your own, do you know something that the Preds organization doesn't ?

Old
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome Clitsome View Post
Offer sheets for Schenn and Couturier all but guaranteed now.
That's what they said about Carter/Richards when we signed Kesler to an offer sheet

Old
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
so thats how they do it now....
instead of offering 12 million a year to start then dropping it to 1 million by the end...
they pay 1-2 million is salary to whole way... but give the rest in signing bonus...

I feel bad for nashville
Me too. I don't like this one bit.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I'm going to address this to you, because I know you a tad better than most of these drones. Actively cheering about how you are ****ing over a team that plays in another conference who you are only competing against in the loosest of terms is dirty, dirty, dirty. Be happy if you get Weber, stop pissing on the Predators.
It's in the CBA. It's legal

Old
KzooShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
THIS

Not sure why ppl think matching and later trading him is an opition for the Preds because its not. Plus I'd bet anything that the Flyers gave him a NTC, NTC kicks in on UFA years only, so July 1st, Nashville pays him the his full bonus and his NTC kicks him.

Oh man that's some slick stuff going on.
Nashville is required to match term, salary and bonus structure.

They're not required to match NTC/NMC. If they match, Weber better hope that Poile is fond of him or he'll offer him up in trade to Siberia for the last 6-7 years.

Old
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by putabergeronthegrill View Post
except there is no way nashville can match this. the cap hit is fine but there are only a few teams who can afford to pay a guy 26 mil in one year and nashville is NOT one of them
It won't be easy, but the team will lose more money than that if they let him go. Nashville will sign it. Even if the owner has to take out a loan

They said the same thing about Joe Sakic when the Rangers tried to nab him. Colorado management had no problem matching the offer.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ckey-business/

Old
OriginJM
watch out im smart

HERE COMES PART 3 BABY

offer sheets are HF boards wet dream

Old
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
@DarrenDreger: Orriginal offer sheet for Shea Weber was 1yr, but Preds would match. $68 mil in bonus $ in 1st 6 yrs, $27 mil total in less than 1 year.

No way Preds can match.
Sure they can, and they will match. No doubt about it. The loss in revenue and franchise appeal will outweigh the bonuses.

I see Weber retiring a Predator now... No way they will trade him the next couple years, he's going to be their franchise player for many years to come.

Old
Roboholic

Quote:
This is exactly why I think they don't match. Shea could have just used this offer as a bargining chip which I'm sure they gave Nashville the heads up on before he signed.

Old
PanthersHockey1
The Ring of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
And my concern is popcorn, I wanna have something to talk about with hockey in the summer, Holmgren delivers.

Also as a neutral for me, it's nice having teams which you know are good yr to yr like Philly and having other teams suck (like Nsh when they became an expansion team).
Enjoy never winning a cup.

Old
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
Weber is staying in Nashville, end of story. Not sure why Philly fans are excited.
Because

Chances of him being in:
Nashville - 90-100%
Philly - 0-10%
Pitt - 0%
NJ - 0%
NYR - 0%
anywhere else- 0%
KHL - 1%

Old
07-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Ill say this. If there is one franchise that can survive an Exodus of two stars it would be the Preds. Maybe not this year or next but eventually they would put together another 100 pt team with a roster full of players that have been drafted and groomed to fit trotz's system.
I am talking more from a ''trust with your fans'' standpoint than on ice results. There's only so much star power leaving for ''futures'' that a fan base (especially the casual fans, not the diehards who posts on message boards) can take before they tell a team to GTFO and stop buying tickets.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
McNasty

I wonder how much the impending lockout pressures Nashville's ownership. If they're facing a shortened season that's obviously less revenue, which means while salaries are pro rated they would have to pay weber 27M in a year where they might be at a loss before that 27M.

Old
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
My brother tells me that Philly's offer sheet pays our 26 million in the first year of the contract??
Yeah, that's what happens when people try to "break things down". It's $27M within a year from today, but it's $27M + $1M in the first two years of the contract. Almost all of his $14M salary for the second year will be paid up front at the very beginning of the 2nd year, though.

Old
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
My concern is for league parity. Your example about the NBA is exactly what this league will become if budget teams don't have the money to hold on to their franchise players. Does this help league parity?
Preds still get four first rounders if they don't match.

NBA is a completely different comparison because the nature of the game itself revolves around only a few top-end players who play 75-80% of the possible minutes in the game, making it difficult for franchises who lose said players than NHL teams who can really only play stars for a third of the game.

At the end of the day, a situation like Nashville and Philadelphia rarely comes around.

Old
Crabovski*

If someone could tell me how a GM can even rationalize not to sign back one of the best dman in the game..............? Shea aint going no where

Closed Thread