HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet - 14 Yrs - $110 Million - $7.857 Cap Hit (Pt III)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Sevren

vCash: 50
Is it still possible to include money in a trade, like when the Nordiques asked for something like 15M in the Lindros trade? Because if it is, then Nashville could match the offer sheet and pay Weber 26M for the next year, then trade him after next season to a team with $ and ask for 13M+ in the deal. That way they only pay the signature bonus for 1 year.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:53 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Have the exact details (ie. AAV) been released yet?

100+ million could be anything. I really doubt he makes less than 7.6 million per year at least.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Say that next time you're wondering why your cable bill is so high.
Best thing I ever saw on HFBoards was:

"I love that every time the Flyers overpay a free agent, Pens fans' cable bills go up."

Of course, it's not true. Comcast-Spectacor is a wholly owned sub with separate finances from Comcast Corp. But it's still funny.

Old
truefan8993

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Bold move by Holmgren. Have to give the guy credit for having the stones to proceed. However, I bet that Nashville matches. I wonder how close other clubs were to getting Weber in a trade.
Supposedly some are saying that the Flyers did it also to make sure that teams in their conference don't get him. Apparently the Rangers were one of the teams close to landing Weber in a trade and the Flyers ruined that possibility.

Old
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
Is it still possible to include money in a trade, like when the Nordiques asked for something like 15M in the Lindros trade? Because if it is, then Nashville could match the offer sheet and pay Weber 26M for the next year, then trade him after next season to a team with $ and ask for 13M+ in the deal. That way they only pay the signature bonus for 1 year.
No its not possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

100+ million could be anything. I really doubt he makes less than 7.6 million per year at least.
14 years 110m

Old
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

110 Mill

Old
rainrock

Philadelphia Daily News

According to Kypreos, the Flyers have structured the deal in a way that it may be impossible for Nashville to match. The breakdown would be as follows:

2012-13 (age 27): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2013-14 (28): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2014-15 (29): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2015-16 (30): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2016-17 (31): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2017-18 (32): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2018-19 (33): $6 million salary
2019-20 (34): $6 million salary
2020-21 (35): $6 million salary
2021-22 (36): $6 million salary
2022-23 (37): $3 million salary
2023-24 (38): $1 million salary
2024-25 (39): $1 million salary
2025-26 (40): $1 million salary
TOTAL: $110 million

Since signing bonuses are usually paid out in a lump sum on July 1 before the season of play, the would mean the Predators would be required to pay Weber $27 million in the next 347 days just to match. To put that in perspective, 16.5 percent of Nashville's entire franchise net worth ($163M as valuated by Forbes Magazine in 2011) would be paid out in less than a calendar year by the small-market team.

For the Flyers, if Weber's offer is matched by Nashville, they will not be penalized in any way.

A source told the Daily News that Weber spent time in Philadelphia last week meeting with the Flyers' brass, though that also has not been confirmed by the team. This would not be tampering, since Weber was not under contract with any team.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz2151CbWEh

Old
07-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Losing Radulov makes it at least 3 stars! Seriously, how can they expect to keep fans? Lose your stars, trade a home town local boy...trainwreck franchise atm.
It would be a financial disaster to lose both Weber and Suter and it could really hurt the image of the Preds both around teh league and within it's fanbase.

Old
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Doing something incredibly risky isn't necessarily bravery, it also could be recklessness.

Relevant picture is relevant.
Yeah but those players are drunks and they will never win anything.

Old
Zeroknowledge*

If The Preds organization figures they will have a hard time affording the contract, I'd communicate with Holmgren tell him we're not matching if you trade us Couturier for a future first rounder next year otherwise we will match.

I still think Holmgren would do it for Couturier and 3 late 1st rounders. But to be honest I hope they match for their own sake and for the sake of teams in the East.

Old
Petes2424

Quote:
If they don't match, they've lost far more than just 2 stars this offseason.
Agreed. All the great work Poile has done to build this organization and this summer is becoming a major setback. Suter, weber, Radulov, Etc. it's a shame.

Best case scenario, they can reach an agreement with Philly and gain some assets.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:56 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullSplitter View Post
Nashville better match. I do not want Weber on the Flyers. That'd be horrible.
I'd figure Pen fans would be cringing at their PA rival getting a huge name after they essentially lost out on Parise after pursuing him heavily.

Either way, this deal goes down and the Atlantic division is going to be the clear powerhouse of the league. If the Pens and Rangers were already seeking players like Parise and Nash, this is only going to foster that.

I really want to see Nashville match because:
Weber on Philly + shot blocking Rangers = painful injuries I don't want to watch!

Old
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Love the idiots saying people will throw massive offers at Giroux/Schenn/Voracek. They have to want to sign the deal with another team.

There is absolutely no way the Flyers let Giroux get to RFA and I'm sure B. Schenn is in a rush to leave when they just traded for his brother.
The pressure is to sign those players before they get eligible for offer sheets....which thye will do if both parties are willing to sign asap(when allowed)

problem is that reguardless of Nas accepting offer or not their will be a salvo shot back across the Phi organization(all teams retaliate in offer sheets it seems)

Even with giroux wanting to play nowhere else he may want to be paid well(or even the highest player on phi --as he becomes the face of the franchise-more and more)

so its not out of the question they receive the offer sheet......esp if the cap ever comes down and the flyers with weber and a cap tight team.......

again they wont let those players be open for offer sheets but things can happen and Nas will be ending a message

Old
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Weber shouldn't have ever made it to RFA anyways. Pollie should of signed Weber to that 3 year 7m+ a year deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
B/c Poile didn't want to let Weber walk when he became a UFA? Weber is absolutely worth $7.1m AAV.
Exactly. Such a deal would probably have included a NTC as well, so even if he decided to trade him before that contract run out, that would have limited what he had to work with for a trade. Even if four 1st rounders look dim at this point (if they really cannot match), that would possibly still look better than the other version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
It's just the fact that Holmgren continues to make the biggest or most interesting moves almost constantly

It takes balls to literally go after every player or screwing other teams out of getting a franchise D man
Don't get me wrong, I surely enjoy the entertainment. And last year's moves, those did take balls. Even steely ones. That was something you'd not see from every guy that just had the opportunity to do so. This however? Great move, no question about it, but no balls required, whatsoever.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

So if Nashville matches they have the contract and if they don't, they get 4 (late) 1st round picks?

Old
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Doing something incredibly risky isn't necessarily bravery, it also could be recklessness.

Relevant picture is relevant.
It's actually irrelevant because you wouldn't have a picture with them holding a Cup in Flyers jerseys unless Quick, Kopitar, and Doughty were sent to Philly.

Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelbackMontage View Post
So, does anyone know if Nashville can even afford to match? Huge money for a guy who doesn't want to be there. Even if they wanted to trade him, they'd have to wait a year.
Weber for sure got a NTC clause in his deal, there is now way he signs an offersheet without one, and it kicks in, in his first year as a UFA (July 1st, 2013), If Nashville matches the deal, they can't trade him for a year, which would be after his NTC kicks in.

Basically Nashville lets him walks and take the picks, and no they just do a side trade for Weber asking for Simmonds or anything, its the picks only. Or they match the offer, keep Weber, but for a small market team, they would be paying a guy about 1/8 of the whole franchise worth in less than a year.

Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
If The Preds organization figures they will have a hard time affording the contract, I'd communicate with Holmgren tell him we're not matching if you trade us Couturier for a future first rounder next year otherwise we will match.

I still think Holmgren would do it for Couturier and 3 late 1st rounders. But to be honest I hope they match for their own sake and for the sake of teams in the East.
No Holmgren says go ahead and match it.

Old
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Agreed. All the great work Poile has done to build this organization and this summer is becoming a major setback. Suter, weber, Radulov, Etc. it's a shame.

Best case scenario, they can reach an agreement with Philly and gain some assets.
If I'm Poile, I'm considering GM openings when my contract is up.

Old
crazyforhockey

Holgrem is defintly not afraid to change course midstream

great move for Phi if they end up with Weber

Old
Dellstrom
The new age

I just woke up.

WHAT THE **** HAPPENED.

Good value if Philly gets him... Might be a lot for compensation but still, it's Weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:58 AM
BillDineen

I think the Flyers hate on here is even more entertaining than the offer sheet. Or is it jealousy?

Oh, but Carter and Richards won the cup, so that must mean the Flyers didn't win their trades, right?

LMAO.

Old
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

adater ‏@adater

Quote:
When Avs matched Sakic/Rangers offer sheet, then-owner Charlie Lyons sent Neil Smith framed pic of Nelson Rockefeller flipping the bird
Hopefully Preds owner follows suit.

Old
BrindamoursNose

Quote:

Or they just bank on Nashville not matching, which is possible. If they don't get him, cest la vie. Wait a year and try again.

I think it's very interesting to see people throw out these deals. Nashville is being strong-armed in this scenario if anything, not Philly. To suggest otherwise is lunacy.

Old
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Quote:

Yeah, but how would that even work. Can you technically write up a contract stating specifically what you're proposing, and what would happen if Nashville still matched after they got Couts for a first, haha.

Closed Thread