HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers & Phantoms Farm System Relationship

Old
07-18-2012, 09:28 PM
flyersfan92

vCash: 500
Flyers & Phantoms Farm System Relationship

The Flyers are one of the greatest franchises of the NHL. With the bright future the Flyers young organization has ahead of them there are concerns I have as a life long Flyers Fan. When The Phantoms were known as the Philadelphia Phantoms from 1996-2009 the Flyers Kept their organization stocked with some pretty decent players and had alot of great current NHL stars such as Jeff Carter, and Mike Richards. The Phantoms had made the playoffs 10 out of 13 seasons of existance. After the sale to The Brooks Group and Move to Glen Falls 3 seasons ago the Flyers haven't had a good relationship with the Phantoms cause they haven't given a crap about the future of their franchise. They sign undrafted players the rest of the league passed over in the draft, they sign NCAA Players that haven't been too bad. But they haven't stocked their system well at all. The future of the Organization rests on the depth of the Phantoms and how quality the players are and if they happen to have a future in the NHL. Many people may disagree with that thought but if the Flyers Have tons and tons of trouble keeping a farm system well stocked with good talent and not just depth should the Flyers have many injuries and an aging roster the team is doomed for not having any real good quality players in their system. They also need to start focusing on drafting goalies of good talent during the draft and not passing them over. they need to focus on building a stong farm system to prep for the future.

flyersfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:33 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
ok...

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:26 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

sure, why not

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:30 PM
pughater

i think once the team moves back to allentown it will be a different story. if they do. being in ny its hard to constantly watch these guys without constant eye and feedback daily. when the phantoms were in philly. if they flyers needed someone they came across the street it was a treat for the players and fans cause no one had to go far. distance from the home team i think is the problem but what do i know im no business person

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:58 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pughater View Post
i think once the team moves back to allentown it will be a different story. if they do. being in ny its hard to constantly watch these guys without constant eye and feedback daily. when the phantoms were in philly. if they flyers needed someone they came across the street it was a treat for the players and fans cause no one had to go far. distance from the home team i think is the problem but what do i know im no business person
I enjoyed being able to go to Phantom games especially to see players of the future play at a cheaper price tag. Plus the whole not having to fly in due to injury.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:30 PM
BillDineen

Flyers led the league in scoring from rookies last season. If the rookies were worse the phantoms would have had them and been better (except Couturier who would have been in junior).

Further, the goalies drafted high in the first round are more likely to see AHL time like Bernier. The Flyers drafted a goalie with their 2nd this year and have the benefit of allowing him to play college hockey rather than with the Phantoms.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
The future of the Flyers has not rested on the Phantoms at any point in their existence, but they've only missed the playoffs once, and it was a year when half the team was former Phantoms.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:38 AM
pelts35.com

Up until last season when the AHL changed the playoff format, making the playoffs in the AHL was quite easy (top 4 teams from each division made the playoffs) so just because they made the playoffs often doesn't mean much IMO.

The Phantoms were very good and very entertaining in their first 4 seasons, but that was before the league was so focused on player development so the team was stacked with very good AHL players.

Their next 3 years they were mediocre at best, but the on ice product was absolutely boring and just brutal to watch. It was during those years that I gave up my season tickets, as did many others.

Their next 2 years were extremely good, one of which being the lockout season where they won their 2nd Calder Cup.

The 2 seasons after that were brutal, both finishing under .500 and missing the playoffs and being completely boring to watch.

Their final 2 seasons they were good, but I wouldn't call them all that entertaining to watch.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:56 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

The Phantoms are just fine. Last year the Flyers had the most rookies play for the them than any other team in the league, which is something we never did when the team was in Philly. Where the farm team is located is bad for travel, but just fine for everything else. The Wings had some pretty solid teams when their farm system was up there.

I think a full year of Ford, the addition of Syvret, the fact there is an actual enforcer for once, and the stability of a mostly unchanged roster will all add up to much better team this year.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:00 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
The Phantoms are just fine. Last year the Flyers had the most rookies play for the them than any other team in the league, which is something we never did when the team was in Philly. Where the farm team is located is bad for travel, but just fine for everything else. The Wings had some pretty solid teams when their farm system was up there.

I think a full year of Ford, the addition of Syvret, the fact there is an actual enforcer for once, and the stability of a mostly unchanged roster will all add up to much better team this year.
What does the team's location in Glens Falls have to do with their success or lack thereof? The Wings had good teams there because they had good rosters.

It depends on your definition of fine. If you are talking about having a winning team at the AHL level, it's too soon to tell if they will be fine since the roster isn't even close to being set. If you are talking about having NHL ready players when players are called up, that is dependent upon that roster and the coaching staff.

The AHL has changed quite a bit since Flyers bought the AHL franchise and put the team at the Spectrum. Back then the AHL was a very competitive league and teams were put together to win. Now the league is so focused on player development that winning takes a backseat to player development and making sure that players are ready to play when called up. So, despite the Phantoms not making the playoffs, Flyers management would probably consider the Phantoms very successful last year given how well the callups did for them.

That said I don't know how you can say that there will be roster stability at this point in time. Roster stability in the AHL is almost completely dependent upon the health of the NHL roster. Not to mention, come playoff time, AHL teams with parent clubs not in the playoffs have a major advantage over those AHL teams with parent clubs in the playoffs.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote