HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Veteran Leadership" on the blue line and the idea of sending Gardiner down

Old
07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
HocKEyFrEaK99

vCash: 500
people cry over phaneuf to much! if he would be playing in Pittsburgh, Philly or Boston, everybody here would be saying we need a guy like him. i really do think that everybody on the blue line this year will look a little better with Carlyle behind the bench. slower paste, more hitting, blocking shots, more help from the forwards.

Phaneuf is a good leader, and a keeper!!

HocKEyFrEaK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

My ideal thing would be to get negotiating time with Weber, work out a deal and trade Phaneuf++ for him.
Weber-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Liles
Komi/Franson/Holzer

Trade Komi+Franson in a deal to a VERY bad on defence team for prospect/pick. Trade pick(s) for a good, bottom pairing, shutdown vet.

Last edited by Leafs For Life*: 07-18-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Options on the FA front: M. Rozsival, J. Spacek, M. Eaton, C. Campoli, M. Jurcina, S. Staios, etc.
Favorites for me are Staios and Eaton. 3rd is Jurcina.

Last edited by Leafs For Life*: 07-18-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old
07-18-2012, 09:00 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Options on the FA front: M. Rozsival, J. Spacek, M. Eaton, C. Campoli, M. Jurcina, S. Staios, etc.
Favorites for me are Staios and Eaton. 3rd is Jurcina.
Staios already signed with the Leafs.

But to work in management in some as of yet unknown form not as a player.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:21 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
I was listening to the Leafs' end of season presser (again) today. M. Brophy asked the question and we can all agree "Do you have to bring in some veteran leadership to help Dion?" Burke's reply: "I think we might have to yes. I have to support Randy's assessment that we have to support Dion. Not replace him."

I can't help, but agree with this assessment. I think most of us agree that with the right pairing Dion could flourish again and so can the Leafs' defense. I'm sure everyone has 1C and 1G on their minds, but we really need to address the D. It's not good enough. A veteran could really make this D better, but who? And most importantly where do they go? I think our current vets are Komi and JML, but I think Burke realizes that when answering the question.

My concern is where do we fit them? Do we move JML for a vet? A vet for a vet? I doubt it. I think in order to do this we send Gardiner down for part of the season. We can pretty much think of Gardiner as JML's understudy. Having Gardiner and JML at Left D at the same time is a problem. They are both the same type player (Gardiner with more upside). I'm not saying trade Gardiner, but there has to be vet D with dion. Gardiner can work on his game on the Marlies and come up from time to time. Eventually we trade JML at the deadline or he is our number 7.

Veteran D Dion
JML Holzer
Gunn Franson
Gardiner (AHL)

Eventually

Veteran D Dion
Gardiner Holzer
Gunn Franson
JML

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:33 PM
mulefarm

Let me get this straight. You want to send Gardiner to the AHL after playing 75 games , averaged over 20 min /game, 7G23A30pts,-6, made all rookie team and just turned 22. Sounds like a great idea??????

mulefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
glasses91

vCash: 250
LMAO I had he same face only with a slice of pizza!!

why the hell would nashville want franson back? We'd have to give up may more first rounds than we did with kessel!

athough weber to our roster to play with franson and move phany on the 2nd line ooowee im dreaming!

ps toronto needs smason

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Krazy

I do think we need more experience.

Cola is a possibility, but what about Colin White. He is only 34.... Does he have any juice left or just another Komi.

Milan Jurcina?

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:30 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Michal Roszival?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I do think we need more experience.

Cola is a possibility, but what about Colin White. He is only 34.... Does he have any juice left or just another Komi.

Milan Jurcina?
Quote:
ASSETS: Owns a huge frame and the ability to play an all-around game from time to time. Also possesses a big shot from the point. Takes up a lot of space in the defensive zone.
FLAWS: Doesn't play with a lot of passion and rarely takes full advantage of his tremendous size. His skating and coordination are also weaknesses in his game.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Inconsistent big defenseman.
From THN.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Michal Roszival?
Quote:
ASSETS: Has a good combination of passing kills and hockey sense from the point. Is a good-sized defender with sound mobility.
FLAWS: Doesn't always play with optimum intensity. Should make better use of his 6-1, 212-pound frame, since he is at times a little too soft.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Savvy puck-moving defenseman.
From THN.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses91 View Post
LMAO I had he same face only with a slice of pizza!!

why the hell would nashville want franson back? We'd have to give up may more first rounds than we did with kessel!

athough weber to our roster to play with franson and move phany on the 2nd line ooowee im dreaming!

ps toronto needs smason
Franson to NSH was never mentioned in it.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:12 AM
MapleLeafs9

LOL. You don't send Gardiner to the AHL after the season he just had.

MapleLeafs9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I don't think the message Burke was conveying was that the veteran leadership needed to be coming from the blue line, although I'd have to watch the presser again to be sure.

I was talking to Colton Orr's dad today and he said Colton was being brought back onto the roster [that's been speculated among us HF'ers, but he sounded like it was already for sure]. Colton has that veteran presence in the locker room and I believe that's what RC and BB are wanting to do.

I think Burke meant there was a need for leadership qualities among more people than just Phaneuf.
I wouldn't be surprised, to me Brown may be on the bubble soon anyway. He's just an ok PK guy, numbers bear this out for us and he doesn't intimidate anyone. Would explain why the Leafs never pursued Parros. Devane should be with the Marlies next year so this could be a 1 year Orr reprieve to still prove he belongs in the NHL. Say it again, when used properly as Renney used Colton, he was an effective 4th liner.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:23 AM
Interactif

Buying time for Percy, Blacker, Rielly, and Finn next year and beyond?

Dion, Jake and ???

Old
07-19-2012, 05:23 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I wouldn't be surprised, to me Brown may be on the bubble soon anyway. He's just an ok PK guy, numbers bear this out for us and he doesn't intimidate anyone. Would explain why the Leafs never pursued Parros. Devane should be with the Marlies next year so this could be a 1 year Orr reprieve to still prove he belongs in the NHL. Say it again, when used properly as Renney used Colton, he was an effective 4th liner.
i would love to have Orr back on the 4th line. i hope it happens.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Interactif

Quote:
i would love to have Orr back on the 4th line. i hope it happens.
Think Burke, Randy, you and me, are all in the same boat here, that it happens.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
And here I was thinking that agreement had moved away from his troll roots... he was actually talking sensibly in the Bernier thread for a while.

You just said that Gardiner "isn't ready yet". If you truthfully think that, which you don't (as you're a troll), you're hopeless.
question for the mods (I would do it through pm but don't know who frequently deletes my posts).

a simple "why do people keep falling for this" is deleted but a post calling the guy a troll isn't.

I don't care it was deleted. just wondering, other than it's personal for someone, how you decide what do leave or delete. it's rather funny IMO

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:55 AM
thewave

Phaneuf, Komi should be better under Carlyle, Gardiners game will suffer a bit unless he can adapt and control his tendancies. Gardiner is potentially the prototypical RnG D.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
caribouPINE

This is utterly ridiculous. I can not believe I read this. Pure stupidity.

We are not going to send Gardiner down in order to make room for LESSER dmen. What kind of horse poop is this?

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:19 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
question for the mods (I would do it through pm but don't know who frequently deletes my posts).

a simple "why do people keep falling for this" is deleted but a post calling the guy a troll isn't.

I don't care it was deleted. just wondering, other than it's personal for someone, how you decide what do leave or delete. it's rather funny IMO
Maybe they should allow an open forum so that people can ask me questions.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:01 AM
81Leafs50

I am absolutely sure he was talking about leadership support in the locker room.

Gardiner is going no where.

Mike Knuble could be one of those guys.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HocKEyFrEaK99 View Post
people cry over phaneuf to much! if he would be playing in Pittsburgh, Philly or Boston, everybody here would be saying we need a guy like him. i really do think that everybody on the blue line this year will look a little better with Carlyle behind the bench. slower paste, more hitting, blocking shots, more help from the forwards.

Phaneuf is a good leader, and a keeper!!
Thats a nice assumption but I don't recall anybody ever saying "we need a guy like him" when he was in Calgary.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:11 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
I am absolutely sure he was talking about leadership support in the locker room.

Gardiner is going no where.

Mike Knuble could be one of those guys.
The run and gun / turn-the-other-cheek Ron Wilson era is over. How is Dion and Gardiner going to take on a forward line where the smallest guy is 6-2/ 210? You think Gardiner is going to be paired on the top line to face big skilled forwards for 22 minutes a night?

He's not ready for rigors of the NHL. Why? Because he wasn't ready for the rigors of the AHL.

Gardiner's other problem is JML. He's also a light offensive D. He's not exactly overpowering in his own end, but he's a good skater and has good vision. Gardiner has more upside for sure.

There is no way RC has two of those guys in his D core.

Gunn is a good player, but he's not quite suited for the top pairing. Maybe that will change, but for now Dion needs a vet with size and some toughness beside him on the top pairing.

Until they figure out what they are going to do with JML, they need to *temporarily* put Gardiner on the Marlies.

The AHL is a great place to hone a players' skills and play with other mature players. It's not a jail sentence and it's not a knock on Gardiner.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:12 AM
dfunk

Quote:
The run and gun / turn-the-other-cheek Ron Wilson era is over. How is Dion and Gardiner going to take on a forward line where the smallest guy is 6-2/ 210? You think Gardiner is going to be paired on the top line to face big skilled forwards for 22 minutes a night?

He's not ready for rigors of the NHL. Why? Because he wasn't ready for the rigors of the AHL.

Gardiner's other problem is JML. He's also a light offensive D. He's not exactly overpowering in his own end, but he's a good skater and has good vision. Gardiner has more upside for sure.

There is no way RC has two of those guys in his D core.

Gunn is a good player, but he's not quite suited for the top pairing. Maybe that will change, but for now Dion needs a vet with size and some toughness beside him on the top pairing.

Until they figure out what they are going to do with JML, they need to *temporarily* put Gardiner on the Marlies.

The AHL is a great place to hone a players' skills and play with other mature players. It's not a jail sentence and it's not a knock on Gardiner.
This is such a bogus argument. He's not ready for the NHL? He ****ing played 75 games in the NHL and at 21 years old was only a -2. On one of the worst defensive teams in the league. He was on the all rookie team too, was he not? Sure, he played protected minutes, but did you not ****ing watch any of the games he played? Even the freaking commentators couldn't believe how mature he played considering he was a rookie. He was flat out sick some games with his vision. He had defensive blunders, but who the hell didn't under wilson? And did you not see him play when RC took over, either? his minutes did not suffer, nor did his production.

And on your sentence claiming "there is no way RC has him & liles in the core". Were you talking to Randy recently? You have no clue what his plan his for our defense.
Jake Gardiner was stated as being completely untouchable by Burke. I don't think he would be saying that about a guy who just turned 22 that he plans to move to the AHL.

He couldn't handle the AHL? Maybe because this year he played 96 pro games. More than double any other season he played. He's ****ing 22 man, he's going to gain more endurance as he gets bigger and stronger. Jesus.

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote