HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part 127 (Vierzehn): Offer Sheet Match Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'm sure we did something similar with Parise, but this **** needs to stop. Not fair to teams who can't afford front loaded contracts. 1 million dollar salary the last 3 years is a joke.
ya they really need to make it so the yearly salary can never vary more than a set amount from the average value. Even 50% leeway locks it between like 12 and 4

Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Can you imagine if Pronger came back healthy too? Yikes indeed.
That won't be happening considering it would put them over their cap. You understand Pronger being on LTIR is how they're affording being able to do this right? While Pronger is stuck on their LTIR for the 35+ rule they also lose a contract they can sign. 49 for the foreseeable future from 50.

Imagine if that team started getting injuries like the Pens endured the last few seasons.

Really, I hope they do get'em. They want to win in the worse way but manage to screw themselves in the process. It will no doubt be that way, it's the Philly way.

Don't forget they lose their 1st's for 4 seasons straight, even if they are late ones it will hurt making adjustments. They'll have to give up actual NHL talent to receive replacements of worth.

I see it as a ****** GM/franchise being a ******.

Proceed.

It's not all that bad, and we should welcome it.

Old
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Kypreos tweeted the salary breakdown:

Year 1: $1M salary + $13M signing bonus
Year 2: $1M salary + $13M signing bonus
Year 3: $1M salary + $13M signing bonus
Year 4: $1M salary + $13M signing bonus
Year 5: $4M salary + $8M signing bonus
Year 6: $4M salary + $8M signing bonus
Year 7: $6M salary
Year 8: $6M salary
Year 9: $6M salary
Year 10: $6M salary
Year 11: $3M salary
Year 12: $1M salary
Year 13: $1M salary
Year 14: $1M salary
I know Ed Snider probably uses money as toilet paper. But jeez, does he ever run out?

Old
07-19-2012, 10:06 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Peach Pen View Post
If Pronger came back, CAP would say "Hi" They would have to move someone in that situation.

And why is everyone so down in the dumps? Weber is a great player, but his possible acquisition doesn't make Philly a lock to do anything. Need a reminder .... we were supposed to celebrating a cup win this year ... instead
I think it's a natural reaction from the fan perspective. Philly embarassed Pittsburgh and then turned around and made a bid for the best defenseman in the league. We've essentially downgraded from Staal to Sutter and stood pat.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
That won't be happening considering it would put them over their cap. You understand Pronger being on LTIR is how they're affording being able to do this right? While Pronger is stuck on their LTIR for the 35+ rule they also lose a contract they can sign. 49 for the foreseeable future from 50.

Imagine if that team started getting injuries like the Pens endured the last few seasons.

Really, I hope they do get'em. They want to win in the worse way but manage to screw themselves in the process. It will no doubt be that way, it's the Philly way.

Don't forget they lose their 1st's for 4 seasons straight, even if they are late ones it will hurt making adjustments. They'll have to give up actual NHL talent to receive replacements of worth.

Proceed.

Weber and Pronger both signed puts them at pretty much exactly the cap. A minor move would make it fit.

I don't think it matters because Pronger isn't healthy, but they could do it for sure.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'm sure we did something similar with Parise, but this **** needs to stop. Not fair to teams who can't afford front loaded contracts. 1 million dollar salary the last 3 years is a joke.
I just don't get how 6 years of signing bonuses aren't somehow part of a cap circumvention "in the spirit of the CBA" argument the NHL used to rule against the Devils and Kovalchuk.

It really puts a gun to small-market teams without having the likes of Comcast, Burkle, etc and says hand over your player or go mortgage your team somehow to pay him.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I know Ed Snider probably uses money as toilet paper. But jeez, does he ever run out?

You have comcast, you support the Flyers.

Looks like FiOS, here I come...

Old
07-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
No clue how a franchise that's lost money since the lock out can afford $26 million in signing bonuses over the next two seasons.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Philly's D will be massive: Weber - Grossman - Coburn - Schenn - Meszaros

Compared to the Pens' D (as of now): Martin - Orpik - Letang - Niskanen - Engelland

Yikes...
Yah it's not a good development but we'll be adding our own D studs over the next couple seasons so not totally bleak. Replacing Z with a bigger / stronger / Despres, Dumoulin will be replacing someone within 6 months probably. Maybe Martin. Those are two bid dudes so trying to stay optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Picture weber slamming Sid or genos head into the glass like zetterberg. Do. Not. Want. Please match nashville
He sure as hell won't be doing that to Geno because he's much bigger / stronger than Zetterberg. As for Sid, I guess I could see something like that happening if Sid gets chippy but hey, it's hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Can you imagine if Pronger came back healthy too? Yikes indeed.
Pronger is toast IMO. Kind of sad actually but I don't think you have to worry about seeing him on the ice for at least another year. He was majorly f-ed up. Far worse than Crosby's situation, as bad as that seemed to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Kypreos tweeted the salary breakdown:

Year 1: $1M salary + $13M signing bonus
Year 2: $1M salary + $13M signing bonus
Year 3: $1M salary + $13M signing bonus
Year 4: $1M salary + $13M signing bonus
Year 5: $4M salary + $8M signing bonus
Year 6: $4M salary + $8M signing bonus
Year 7: $6M salary
Year 8: $6M salary
Year 9: $6M salary
Year 10: $6M salary
Year 11: $3M salary
Year 12: $1M salary
Year 13: $1M salary
Year 14: $1M salary
If that's true, Nashville can match. They just got an $8M infusion of some kind and with no Suter to pay for they can easily pay that.

[Edit from new arena deal:

Quote:
Metro would pay the Nashville Predators $8.4 million annually in subsidies and incentives to operate Bridgestone Arena under a deal reached between Mayor Karl Dean and the hockey team.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I just don't get how 6 years of signing bonuses aren't somehow part of a cap circumvention "in the spirit of the CBA" argument the NHL used to rule against the Devils and Kovalchuk.

It really puts a gun to small-market teams without having the likes of Comcast, Burkle, etc and says hand over your player or go mortgage your team somehow to pay him.
the signing bonus only changes when the money gets payed. Its the exact same dollar amount every year.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Teufelsdreck

Some posters on this thread classify Brayden Schenn as a defenseman. He isn't. His brother, Luke, is.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Dropping Nuclear Money Bombs on the league : It's Comcastic.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Some posters on this thread classify Brayden Schenn as a defenseman. He isn't. His brother, Luke, is.
huh? literally not a single person has used a first name talking about a Schenn in this thread.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Oxide

vCash: 50
Quote:
You do know the Flyers traded for Luke.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

OT but Comcast ****ing pisses me off with their constant adding of $3-4 onto the bill every 18 months or so. I used to pay $55 a month. I now pay $70 for virtually the same service / slightly more bandwidth. And of course the new customers get treated like royalty and get lots of plan options. Old customers get shafted / can't switch plans and save money without taking major bandwidth hit. D-bags.

Old
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post

Proceed.

I thought the same thing, but some Flyer fan in the trade forum mentioned some way they can afford Weber AND keep Pronger. He could be BS'ing, but who knows.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide View Post
You do know the Flyers traded for Luke.
you ruined it I wanted to see how long it took him to figure it out

Old
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Luke Schenn IS a defenseman who plays for Philly, he is the one being referenced.

Old
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
huh? literally not a single person has used a first name talking about a Schenn in this thread.
I'm assuming he somehow missed the L. Schenn for JvR trade.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:18 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I'm guessing he's unaware the Philly traded for Luke Schenn.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

LUKE.... I am your brother in orange... search your feelings, Luke.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
OT but Comcast ****ing pisses me off with their constant adding of $3-4 onto the bill every 18 months or so. I used to pay $55 a month. I now pay $70 for virtually the same service / slightly more bandwidth. And of course the new customers get treated like royalty and get lots of plan options. Old customers get shafted / can't switch plans and save money without taking major bandwidth hit. D-bags.
every year or two call and tell them you want to cancel to switch to verizon. they will most likely offer you a "new customer" deal.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
And now you just may see "Shea Weber Surcharge" added to your bill in 3 months.

"Thanks, suckers~! Love, Ed Snider"

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Luke Schenn IS a defenseman who plays for Philly, he is the one being referenced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
I'm assuming he somehow missed the L. Schenn for JvR trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
I'm guessing he's unaware the Philly traded for Luke Schenn.
you guys are ruining my fun

Old
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

If Nashville was prepared to match the Suter offers AND re-sign Weber, then they should be able to match the offer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't they negotiate a 'trade' with Philly still? Basically saying 'Give me these players in return or we match your offer'? That would certainly be an interesting twist. If Poile somehow managed to gut Philly's offense, well ...

Closed Thread