HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part 127 (Vierzehn): Offer Sheet Match Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Once a player or team has filed for salary arbitration, they are immune to an offer sheet, so Oshie is a no go.
"Shero uses Offer Sheet. It doesn't effect T.J. Oshie"

Old
07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
THIS

Yes, this deal involves paying Weber over 7-8 years about 3M a year more than they'd budgeted for him, BUT, with Suter gone, all they need to do is allocate less of the money they'd budgeted for Suter or his replacement(s).

Stings, sure, but they also get a situation in 7-8 years where they'd have a 33-34 year old Weber, perhaps starting to show signs of decline, on a great remaining contract. At that point, Poile could trade him anywhere he wants, and, with what will be left on that deal (salary versus cap hit for teams way below the floor), he'll get a king's ransom.

They arguably should do that but who knows what Nashville really planned to do with Weber. If they intended to trade him this off-season, and it seems like discussions were being held with a few teams, then this would tie their hands.

You also have to factor in the nature of their discussions with Weber and his camp. He may have told them he wants out and they can piss off, who knows.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Philly would just trade Meszaros for picks. Problem solved.
Not to mention that they won't re-sign Timonen when the time comes. Hartnell would probably walk, too.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Chiquito

Quote:
Philly would just trade Meszaros for picks. Problem solved.
Depth is weaken. Depth brings championships

Old
07-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Sivek

lol at the rationalization already settling in if Weber signs with the Flyers. He is the best defensmen in the league and is still in his prime. They will be a much, much better team with him and Holgrem has shown that he's willing to move whoever to keep the important parts of that team together. They will have no trouble keeping their star players down the road. 4 low first-round picks is a small price to pay for Weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTBoonies View Post
Shea Weber is arguably the best d-man in the league. They have a big weakness at D. If you get Shea Weber for nothing but draft picks, you become a better team. I don't care what you have to do to make him fit. Every team in the league has 7.5 million dollars in players that could be better spent on Shea Weber.

In the Flyers case, the answer for what they'd have to do to make him fit is nothing. They'd still have space to re-sign Voracek and still have some cap cushion left. In the future you let guys like Timmonen go.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

NHL Expert Picks ‏@NHLexpertpicks
'Memory Night' charity hockey game will take place Aug. 4th in Switzerland to remember those who passed away in the Lokomotiv KHL team crash

NHL Expert Picks ‏@NHLexpertpicks
Participants in Memory Night will include: Chara, Semin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Bryzgalov, Gonchar, Kovalev, Yashin, Fedorov, Ozolinish...

Geno working his magic on Semin

"Okay you come to Penguins, that game we mesh, I already told Shero you sign"

(Cause the magic "talking to" worked so well with Parise )

Old
07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutCracker View Post
I have no problem if Weber goes to Philly, I would hate paying 8mil to a D-man unless it's prime Lidström. Plus, they are going to have major issues signing Giroux and rest of the young crew soon

Exactly and they'll lose 4 1st rd picks too. This isn't the end of the world.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:47 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
They arguably should do that but who knows what Nashville really planned to do with Weber. If they intended to trade him this off-season, and it seems like discussions were being held with a few teams, then this would tie their hands.

You also have to factor in the nature of their discussions with Weber and his camp. He may have told them he wants out and they can piss off, who knows.
I think they were talking with teams about Weber because he wouldn't commit to resigning for a seven year deal for big bucks (or something like that).

Makes sense, in that scenario, to talk.

Now that Philly has signed Weber to an offer sheet, the circumstances are changed.

Unless they give Poile the proverbial farm in players for Weber, Poile will match. He's got no choice. Ownership has no choice.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Exactly what depth on their roster will be lost over the next 2-3 years by signing Weber? Names and cap calculations please. I think you WANT this to weaken their depth, but there's no actual reason to believe it will. They've got a core FULL of young, talented players. Losing a few draft picks at worst, affects their depth 4-5 years from now.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Exactly and they'll lose 4 1st rd picks too. This isn't the end of the world.
why would Weber cause so much trouble signing guys? Other guys will come off the books by the time its a big deal.

It might not be the end of the world, but anyone saying it could actually hurt the Flyers is just plain wrong imo.

Old
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
lol at the rationalization already settling in if Weber signs with the Flyers. He is the best defensmen in the league and is still in his prime. They will be a much, much better team with him and Holgrem has shown that he's willing to move whoever to keep the important parts of that team together. They will have no trouble keeping their star players down the road. 4 low first-round picks is a small price to pay for Weber.
He is the best defenseman in the league and his prime should last at least another 6 years, he was absolutely worth it from their perspective given the situation with Pronger.

I admire Holmgren's aggressiveness to an extent but I also think making splashy moves can be a diversion for the fanbase. Keep them chattering about new additions and blockbuster moves while glossing over the fact that the moves have yet to add a Cup. It's a good career move in the entertainment business.

Old
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutCracker View Post
I have no problem if Weber goes to Philly, I would hate paying 8mil to a D-man unless it's prime Lidström. Plus, they are going to have major issues signing Giroux and rest of the young crew soon
Sadly theyd prob just let Hartnell and Mezaros walk. Timonen could be gone by then. Briere could be traded, or he can just walk as a UFA the year after the flyers need to resign Giroux, Schenn, Couturier

Old
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

One issue with the "Martin to Nashville" crew if they don't match .... Philly has another top 4 defender, Nashville gets one .... guess who doesn't have one?

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Sadly, this is so true. They'll have no problem making Weber work without hurting their so-called depth.

Old
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Just got up, thought I was still dreaming when I saw this. Holy ****.

What are the chances Nashville matches?

Weber on the Flyers is not something I'd like to see, regardless of how many picks they'd have to give up.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Is this the moment where Shero offersheets Sergei Kostitsyn?

Dagger to the heart. (don't really want him but hey, trade bait!)

Old
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Chiquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Weber is the #1 defenseman in the league.
He is good, but he is not Bobby Orr. He is an elite D-man in the prime of his career, but he is just a player. It will screw up their depth. They have a number of good players that will have to move for this to work. Depth is far scarier than two or three star players.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
He is good, but he is not Bobby Orr. He is an elite D-man in the prime of his career, but he is just a player. It will screw up their depth. They have a number of good players that will have to move for this to work. Depth is far scarier than two or three star players.
If they sign him to this deal they will still have 5 million dollars cap space to sign Voracek and then they have a completed roster. Pronger's cap can be ignored as he'll be on LTIR. And if he's not, they move Meszaros and they have the best defense in the league headed by Chris Pronger and Shea Weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
cassius

Philadelphia is smart for going all in and being in "win now mode"

The Penguins should be in that mode right now, but Shero seems content to be conservative.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Peach Pen View Post
One issue with the "Martin to Nashville" crew if they don't match .... Philly has another top 4 defender, Nashville gets one .... guess who doesn't have one?
I think the idea is some people feel there are guys ready to step in who are just as mobile as Martin but bigger and stronger (guys like Dumoulin potentially or Morrow next year), so if we can get that Colin Wilson kid from them, overall it would be worth it in the long run.

Only problem is I don't know that Wilson could convert to wing, as he's a natural C. There's no other forward on that team who will make our offense appreciably better long-term and for that reason probably no one worth trading Martin for. We might be able to get more for him elsewhere.

That aside, Letang, Orpik and Despres are all Top 4 quality D. You speak as if Martin is our Top D and he definitely isn't.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I think the idea is some people feel there are guys ready to step in who are just as mobile as Martin but bigger and stronger (guys like Dumoulin potentially or Morrow next year), so if we can get that Colin Wilson kid from them, overall it would be worth it in the long run.

Only problem is I don't know that Wilson could convert to wing, as he's a natural C. There's no other forward on that team who will make our offense appreciably better long-term and for that reason probably no one worth trading Martin for. We might be able to get more for him elsewhere.

That aside, Letang, Orpik and Despres are all Top 4 quality D.
Setogu...no I'm stopping.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:56 AM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

That aside, Letang, Orpik and Despres are all Top 4 quality D. You speak as if Martin is our Top D and he definitely isn't.
With Sheros 'stong ties' to Nashville couldn't they work out a good 3 way trade?

Old
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Setogu...no I'm stopping.
Haha. MN says "No F depth for you! We run for Cup!"

Old
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

The circumstances of the offer are fascinating. There have rarely been many offer sheets given out, but I believe this has to the be the first offer sheet that is of the front loaded cap circumventing nature. And considering the RFA is from a smaller market team that is known to be a bit cash strapped and is being offered by a big market team that is basically offering so large that it likely prohibits them from matching, I have to believe this is a exactly the scenario the NHL wants to get rid of.

It'll be interesting to see if the NHL approves the offer.

Closed Thread