HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official NHL Free Agency Thread 6.0 (Legit Sources ONLY)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2012, 10:40 AM
  #951
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
I don't care for most of what is in the CBA but I really wish they got rid of offer sheets and raised the UFA age.

As a fan, it's terrible to invest yourself emotionally in a player who takes years to develop, buy jerseys and other stuff, and then lose him to another team. Even if the Preds get four 1st picks, the odds of replacing Weber with those picks are very low.
Why? I think more teams should go that route. You have time to get your players signed, a whole year. If he doesn't agree to an extension you have a choice of trading him. This is not the Flyers fault for targeting a player they really want and believe can make them better

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:41 AM
  #952
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,875
vCash: 500
If PK is open to an offer sheet MB needs PK signed now just in case the Preds match the Flyers offer to Weber.. If the Preds do match the Flyers could still be looking for a dman and then direct their attention to someone like PK with a ridiculous offer.

sheed36 is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:41 AM
  #953
skipp18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
My 2 cents:
- I don't know how Bettman ( who represents the owners) can go into negotiations with the NHLPA crying poor and demanding to restrict contracts to no more than 5 years when his own owners (Philly and Minnesota) are still handing out these contracts.
- Weber by his actions has indicated that he doesn't wan to stay in Nashville, he already rejected offers and only signed on for one year when he had the chance, but now if Nashville decides to match the offer Weber will be in Nashville for the rest of his career - the very place he wanted to get away from.
- While I hate the flyers I admire the way they manipulate the salary cap. they already have a lot of young talent, losing those draft picks will not hurt them in the short term. In the long run maybe.

skipp18 is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
  #954
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,256
vCash: 500
These long term deals never seem to work out well, Weber is a good player, but that much dough over that long a period? Wow...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:44 AM
  #955
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
If PK is open to an offer sheet MB needs PK signed now just in case the Preds match the Flyers offer to Weber.. If the Preds do match the Flyers could still be looking for a dman and then direct their attention to someone like PK with a ridiculous offer.
agreed and this is why I kind of hope the Preds take the hole 7 days to answer and give Bergevin time to get something done

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
  #956
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,875
vCash: 500
If the Preds don't match the Habs could send them their Weber to replace the Weber they just lost..

sheed36 is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
  #957
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
These long term deals never seem to work out well, Weber is a good player, but that much dough over that long a period? Wow...
He will be making 1 million in the last few years, buyout would be a joke

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
  #958
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,217
vCash: 500
Can Subban get an offer sheet ?

katatoniak is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM
  #959
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Can Subban get an offer sheet ?
yes any team can offer him a deal

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
  #960
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Why? I think more teams should go that route. You have time to get your players signed, a whole year. If he doesn't agree to an extension you have a choice of trading him. This is not the Flyers fault for targeting a player they really want and believe can make them better
Because all the best players will end up playing for the Flyers and Rangers or, in some rare cases like Parise, for a team they have a geographical attachment to. Places like Tennessee and Ohio will never attract the best UFAs. Even Montreal is not a top-10 destination anymore.

I miss the days when it was expected to see a player spend most of his career with the same team. It was easier to identify with the team over a long period and to build strong rivalries. Took me years to identify with the Habs after the last cup until the Koivu-Kovalev years and then Gainey nuked the whole team.

We've got some nice pieces to rebuild with now but you have to admit the identity is still not there.

DenverHabsFan is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
  #961
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey
 
Pierre Dagenais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Kessel was coming off his ELC and could have receive an offer sheet from Toronto but they opted the honest way(a trade which they got fleeced). Subban isn't safe, he can receive an offer from any team at any time
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
I'm pretty sure you still can, Stamkos was coming off his ELC last year and there were talks that some teams were going to offer sheet him last year.
Thanks for the correction. Didn't know!

Pierre Dagenais is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:53 AM
  #962
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
**** it, give them Weber and take the 4 first rounders.

Nashville just doesn't have the money to pay those signing bonuses.

guest1467 is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:53 AM
  #963
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He will be making 1 million in the last few years, buyout would be a joke
He has to retired.

Buyout would put a big cap hit to the club.

He wouldnt earned a lot. (real money)

danyhabsfan is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:53 AM
  #964
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Because all the best players will end up playing for the Flyers and Rangers or, in some rare cases like Parise, for a team they have a geographical attachment to. Places like Tennessee and Ohio will never attract the best UFAs. Even Montreal is not a top-10 destination anymore.

I miss the days when it was expected to see a player spend most of his career with the same team. It was easier to identify with the team over a long period and to build strong rivalries. Took me years to identify with the Habs after the last cup until the Koivu-Kovalev years and then Gainey nuked to whole team.

We've got some nice pieces to rebuild with now but you have to admit the identity is still not there.
Some people forget that Vanek and Penner accepted offer sheets to play in Edmonton. Those teams can offer sheet players as well and if those players like their contracts, they will sign

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:55 AM
  #965
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
**** it, give them Weber and take the 4 first rounders.

Nashville just doesn't have the money to pay those signing bonuses.
In the next 6 years, the Preds would be paying Weber 80 million and Rinne 42 for a total of 122 million for those 2 players. LOL

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
  #966
shamrun
Registered User
 
shamrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
In the next 6 years, the Preds would be paying Weber 80 million and Rinne 42 for a total of 122 million for those 2 players. LOL
they are in a tough spot having just signed rinne to be competitive for the next few years. If Weber is gone I wonder how long until the seats start emptying outt.

shamrun is online now  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:01 AM
  #967
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,684
vCash: 500
I don't care about the offersheet, it's part of the game, so it's all good.
But owners whining about contracts shouldn't pass 5 years and then this happens.
They really look quite foolish.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:03 AM
  #968
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't care about the offersheet, it's part of the game, so it's all good.
But owners whining about contracts shouldn't pass 5 years and then this happens.
They really look quite foolish.
I really don't get why people keep using this logic.

I mean its ****ing Holmgren.

guest1467 is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:03 AM
  #969
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
**** it, give them Weber and take the 4 first rounders.

Nashville just doesn't have the money to pay those signing bonuses.
Is it 4 x 1st rounder or 2 x 1st rounder, a 2nd and 3rd?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636658

OFFER COMPENSATION
$1,110,249 or below None
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third-round choice
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second-round choice
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First-round and third-round choice
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First-round, second-round and third-round choice
Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice
Over $8,410,976 Four first-round choices

danyhabsfan is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:03 AM
  #970
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Some people forget that Vanek and Penner accepted offer sheets to play in Edmonton. Those teams can offer sheet players as well and if those players like their contracts, they will sign
There are exceptions, of course. Penner wasn't a blockbuster name at that time.

I'm sure if Gilbert Perreault got his UFA status way back in the 70's, that he would have picked another team to have a chance to win the cup. But then the Sabres would have lost their identity.

Call me sentimental and I realize we're not going back...

DenverHabsFan is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:04 AM
  #971
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,346
vCash: 500
Question.
If the Preda match but the contract is found to be circumventing the CBA, who gets penalized? Philly or Nashville?

shutehinside is online now  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:06 AM
  #972
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Question.
If the Preda match but the contract is found to be circumventing the CBA, who gets penalized? Philly or Nashville?
I think the contract is problably already approved?

danyhabsfan is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:06 AM
  #973
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Is it 4 x 1st rounder or 2 x 1st rounder, a 2nd and 3rd?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=636658

OFFER COMPENSATION
$1,110,249 or below None
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third-round choice
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second-round choice
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First-round and third-round choice
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First-round, second-round and third-round choice
Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice
Over $8,410,976 Four first-round choices
It's 4 1st round picks...it's the average of the first 5 years of the deal

417 is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:06 AM
  #974
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
**** it, give them Weber and take the 4 first rounders.

Nashville just doesn't have the money to pay those signing bonuses.
I think I'd rather have Weber than 4 of Phillys 1st rounders.

shutehinside is online now  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
  #975
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
It's 4 1st round picks...it's the average of the first 5 years of the deal
I heard that but where is it written?

danyhabsfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.