HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Purpose Tennis Thread III (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

vCash: 1600
Hilarious match; everything from Paire getting the bagel behind 19% first serves to the exchange of breaks at the end of the second, with Paire nearly giving it back. I guess Bernie thinks he's too good to have to care for events like this. Waste of an entry spot really.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
kihei

vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Hilarious match; everything from Paire getting the bagel behind 19% first serves to the exchange of breaks at the end of the second, with Paire nearly giving it back. I guess Bernie thinks he's too good to have to care for events like this. Waste of an entry spot really.
19%. Wow. I thought his first serve % was abysmal but I didn't realize it was that bad. The poor people who wasted good Swiss francs on that match: I hope they see some good tennis the rest of the day.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:09 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAeFX...e_gdata_player

Man I hope he plays til he's like 40.
Beauty shot. But the one point I remember most from the match started out from Roger as a drop shot, but at the instant Andy committed himself to moving forward, Fed turned it into a lazy slice forehand drive to the back of the deuce court for an outright winner. And looked elegant doing it.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Wow, Young lost again... to a player ranked 402. 14 in a row now for Donald. That was certainly a winnable match. Good start for Johnson though.

Baker lost too. Sigh. I guess he made a slow start to the grass season (losing in Queens qualifying) before the run he had at Wimbledon. Hopefully he'll do the same here and pick up some points between now and Toronto.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

One of my favorite Fed videos has been updated. Looks great.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Stebe lost to Monaco 7-5 in the third after serving for the match at 5-4. All in all he lost 13 of the last 16 points. Disappointing result.

Reister beat Verdasco 6-2, 6-3.

Gulbis is up a set and a break against Volandri.

Old
07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Those two videos of Roger's accomplishments were fabulous!

Old
07-18-2012, 08:06 AM
kihei

Gulbis, living dangerously once again, wins a second set tie breaker in which Paire lost four out of his five service points, to deuce a close match at a set apiece. Ernests specializes in losing three set matches like this, so we shall see if this time around it will be different.

Ernests breaks for 3-2. His strategy, such as it is, seems to be to keep the ball in play and wait for Paire to have a braincramp which he just did, not playing a Gulbis return of serve hit right at his feet that caught the line....quintessential Gulbis game: in the first three points, going down love-40 in the process, he doesn't touch the ball other than to put it in play (double fault, service winner, double fault); then he, with a little help from Benoit's dubious shot selection, returns to deuce but gives up another potential break point on a poor shot at net, before playing brilliantly to hold serve. Ai yi yi....now serving for match at 5-4....easy service game, and Ernests lives to play another day.

That clay looked awfully quick.

Last edited by kihei: 07-18-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Tommy. Nice comeback against Simon. Had a horrible choke at *4-3 40-0 in the third: he lost five straight points in terrible fashion. He broke right back though and served it out at love. Simon's ranking will take a hit now. He'll drop two or three spots depending on how well Cilic does.

If you want slow clay, try Hamburg instead of Gstaad. Even indoors.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
kihei

Thank you, Paul Henri Mathieu. Looks like Ernests catches a break. It will be interesting to see if he can do anything with it.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:32 AM
kihei

Brown takes Dimitrov to a third set. How can you be on the tour for a decade and still have a game as raw as Dustin Brown's? What does his coach get paid to do, I wonder?

Grigor closes it out quickly against the monstrously erratic Brown, 6-2, in a match with almost no rallies whatsoever. I must be old school, because "lightning fast" and "clay court" just don't seem like they belong in the same sentence.

Last edited by kihei: 07-19-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Brown takes Dimitrov to a third set. How can you be on the tour for a decade and still have a game as raw as Dustin Brown's? What does his coach get paid to do, I wonder?

Grigor closes it out quickly against the monstrously erratic Brown, 6-2, in a match with almost no rallies whatsoever. I must be old school, because "lightning fast" and "clay court" just don't seem like they belong in the same sentence.
It's not quite right to say he has been on tour for over a decade. He received little to no support (financial or coaching) from the Jamaican Federation, which is why he switched nationality in 2010 (when he first made any mark at all on the main tour). I suspect he received relatively little formal coaching in his formative years. Still, a fun player to watch in moderation.

I think his style was partly responsible for making the court seem lightning fast. He just goes for his shots.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 500
Nadal withdraws from the Olympics.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Nadal withdraws from the Olympics.
A bit of a shock. He would have been their standard-bearer. My favorite quote:
Quote:
"I have to think about my companions, I can't be selfish and I have to think of what's best for Spanish sport, especially tennis and Spanish players, and give fellow sportsmen with better preparation the chance to compete," he said. "I tried to hurry my preparations and training to the very last minute, but it was not to be."
Doesn't he have that backward? I won't complain about him here, but how is it best for Spanish sport to have by far their best shot at a medal not even compete? I guess it's good for Lopez I believe. It's fine for him to be selfish here and say he's doing it for his own health. I really don't understand his thinking sometimes.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 07-19-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

The other big news of the day:
Quote:
The All England Club today confirmed that, following extensive consultation across the tennis and wider sporting world, The Championships’ dates will be moved back by one week with effect from 2015.

The change of dates will benefit the sport as a whole by creating a three week gap between the French Open and Wimbledon, a move which will allow the players a longer grass court season in the build-up to The Championships, and precious additional time to recover from the demands of playing Roland Garros and to prepare for Wimbledon.
Good move.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:18 PM
kihei

Quote:
I think his style was partly responsible for making the court seem lightning fast. He just goes for his shots.
Anybody who puts any pace on the ball is having it zip right in there at warp speed on these courts. With the swing for the fence guys, like Brown, the surface looks like it is dust sprinkled on top of glass.

Last edited by kihei: 07-19-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old
07-19-2012, 12:23 PM
kihei

Quote:
A bit of a shock. He would have been their standard-bearer. My favorite quote:
Quote:
"I have to think about my companions, I can't be selfish and I have to think of what's best for Spanish sport, especially tennis and Spanish players, and give fellow sportsmen with better preparation the chance to compete," he said. "I tried to hurry my preparations and training to the very last minute, but it was not to be."
Doesn't he have that backward? I won't complain about him here, but how is it best for Spanish sport to have by far their best shot at a medal not even compete? I guess it's good for Lopez I believe. It's fine for him to be selfish here and say he's doing it for his own health. I really don't understand his thinking sometimes.
You don't understand his thinking because you are o-b-t-u-s-e. Or hopelessly biased. Most probably, both. I can't think of another person who could find much of a nit to pick with that quote.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
You don't understand his thinking because you are o-b-t-u-s-e. Or hopelessly biased. Most probably, both. I can't think of another person who could find much of a nit to pick with that quote.
Nice. Yeah, he certainly is sacrificing himself for the good of his country. Makes perfect sense. He certainly isn't withdrawing because of his knee treatments or his personal health. Pull your head out of your ass for once. Players spout all sorts of BS to the press. Some more than others.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
kihei

Decent day for long-shot qualifiers. Henrych knocks off Giraldo. Tipsarevic survives a scare against a Austrian non-entity, winning in three sets in Gstaad, and Chardy gets tied in knots in the first set against a German non-entity before winning in Hamburg.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:39 AM
kihei

First set: Gulbis, behind a thunderous service game, takes the first set from Mathieu in just under thirty minutes.

Second set: Mathieu looks like a Star Trek extra out there. Ernests celebrates his good fortune in the first set by quickly going down 5-0 in this one. Sigh...set to Mathieu, 6-1.

Third set: Who knows?....With his wristy forehand totally out of sync, Gulbis loses his first game on serve, 0-1. Yet another three set loss appears likely at the moment....teetering on the edge, Ernests manages to just hold serve for 1-2. That game contained loose ground strokes from both sides and and one of the prettiest half volley drop shot winners that I have ever seen. What a guy....It would appear we have a rain delay. Can't possibly hurt and might help.

Last edited by kihei: 07-20-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old
07-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Really well played match by Haas to get to the semifinals in Hamburg. Faces the winner of Cilic-Ramos next.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Quote:
Anybody who puts any pace on the ball is having it zip right in there at warp speed on these courts. With the swing for the fence guys, like Brown, the surface looks like it is dust sprinkled on top of glass.
Regardless of how the court has been laid, Gstaad will always play quicker because of the elevation.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:27 AM
kihei

Quote:
Regardless of how the court has been laid, Gstaad will always play quicker because of the elevation.
A laid court is a happy court in my book.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
kihei

The Ungainly One saves two breakers to hold serve and stay in the set with Almagro, who is now serving at 5-3...and is quickly broken for 5-4. Sets scores can be so deceiving: a possible 6-2 set is suddenly completely up for grabs...what the hell, come to think of it Philipp looks like a Star Trek extra, too. What makes me think this gear is not going to sell very well?...Almagro, who has been playing in a bit of a daze lately, resuscitates his game sufficiently to get the break and the set, 7-5

Second set: Almagro breaks for 4-2. The Ungainly One, who has developed a "sumo wrestler stomp" follow-through on some of his forehands, needs a quick turnaround....and again, in the time it took me to type the previous snide remark, Philipp has broken back. Can't get much quicker than that...and a nice service winner lands him a second break in succession to serve for the set...Philipp gives it right back, 5-5...how many tournaments have these guys played this year? Neither looks consistently sharp at all...(just looked on the ATP site: both have played 28 tournaments so far. Too many)....and it's Almagro's turn to get two breaks in succession to take the match, Philipp being his own worst enemy out there.

Last edited by kihei: 07-20-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old
07-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Wow, really thorough set by Almagro up until he serves for it. Double fault, weak approach, and a backhand error and he gets broken at love. Back on serve.

Typical end of the set for Kohli: a couple of poor choices, especially the drop shot off the return - a certain sign of tightness. Broken for the set 7-5. Almagro's backhand is a gorgeous shot.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 07-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Closed Thread