HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 10:56 AM
crossxcheck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I'm glad I'm not David Poile right now.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:58 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

If Poile matches he has his franchise defenseman locked up long term, finally. If he doesn't match he only gets 4 1sts. If he matches then Philly looks like a team that helped Nashville rather than hurting them, thus strengthening whatever ties the two clubs have had over the years, or at least strengthening the appearance of that bond. If Nashville doesn't match then that relationship is gone, and Holmgren looks like a guy who has to prey on players from small markets because he handled his own team so poorly.

Honestly, I hope we match. The team is run by smart businessmen, and if we match it won't just be for the hell of it. It will be because the team is now in the position to make a move like that.

And if we don't it's just another in a long line of signs that Nashville can't run with the big dogs no matter how much smoke is blown up our... well... you know.

If all we get after this summer of being hopeful for Weber and Suter+ is a handful of firsts from a team that is going to be contending for years to come it's going to be very hard to be a passionate Predators fan next season...

Old
07-19-2012, 11:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Anyone saying this is a good thing for the Preds is out of their mind. 27 million in less than 365 days, 55 million in less than three years. Remind me again why this is good for a team with limited financial means?
Because the owners have said they have the money? They said it all last year.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Anyone saying this is a good thing for the Preds is out of their mind. 27 million in less than 365 days, 55 million in less than three years. Remind me again why this is good for a team with limited financial means?
We're just not a cap ceiling team for the first few years, until the real cash we're paying Weber lowers to a more reasonable level. And if Shea *****es about not signing any big free agents in that time, Poile needs to blow up the first 4 years of that contract, highlight it, and tape it to Weber's locker.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:02 AM
codeman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
Nashville best play is to match and trade Weber after 2 yrs...... that way they dont look cheap and bullied by the flyers and you get the best defenceman in the league for ahhhhmmm 13 milion a year..... if you trade him after 1 year with the way the signing bonus is set up they would pay 26 mill for 1 season.........after that instead of paying the highest salary in the league..... they would get a boat load of players and picks after 2 yrs......right now Nashville is still competing for the cup...... the next two years will be Nashvilles Window to go for it............
Can someone explain to me why everyone is saying $26M for one season when it looks to me like its $14M per season for the first 4 seasons? Am I missing something?

Year 1 through 4 - $1 million salary, $13 million signing bonus
Year 5 through 6 – $4 million salary, $8 million signing bonus
Year 7 through 10 - $6 million salary
Year 11 - $3 million salary
Year 12 through 14 - $1 million salary

Old
07-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman00 View Post
Can someone explain to me why everyone is saying $26M for one season when it looks to me like its $14M per season for the first 4 seasons? Am I missing something?

I believe it will be $26M in one calendar year, not a season. By my understanding, the bonuses (or salary) on the 2nd season will be paid shortly after the end of the season. I could be misunderstanding, myself, though.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
lstcyr

Quote:

The $13 million bonus for the first two years would be paid now and the second in July 2013. In effect, $26 million in one calendar year.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Because the owners have said they have the money? They said it all last year.
If the speculation is true about Poile looking to trade Weber, then we already know it wasn't going to work here for what both sides wanted. Weber wanted this deal from Philly. Something isn't adding up. If this is the deal that it takes to sign Shea Weber, then why didn't we sign him to it?

I think we have the money to pay players but not big front loaded bonus BS. I think there is a difference to paying a guy on a big deal without huge front loading and the one that Shea signed. It is almost designed for us not to match because of the amount of money in such a short time. It makes it harder to build a competitive team and may strain future relations with Shea. What if he demands a trade? We just invested $27 million in a guy for one season.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:06 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Dreger says the Preds will issue a statement today

Old
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Statement? Jeez...

Old
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
weeze

Quote:

The signing bonus. Thus pay him now for his salary and signing bonus, have to keep for a full year and not trade, pay him signing bonus next July 1, trade him on the day his 1 yr is up. That is 1 + 13 +13 = 27M

Old
07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
i bet we matched it.

I saw someone bring up an interested idea. No idea if it's legal or not. Can the Flyers conditionally trade Voracek to Nashville for future considerations, with the condition being Nashville not signing the offer sheet?

Old
07-19-2012, 11:09 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If Poile matches he has his franchise defenseman locked up long term, finally. If he doesn't match he only gets 4 1sts. If he matches then Philly looks like a team that helped Nashville rather than hurting them, thus strengthening whatever ties the two clubs have had over the years, or at least strengthening the appearance of that bond. If Nashville doesn't match then that relationship is gone, and Holmgren looks like a guy who has to prey on players from small markets because he handled his own team so poorly.

Honestly, I hope we match. The team is run by smart businessmen, and if we match it won't just be for the hell of it. It will be because the team is now in the position to make a move like that.

And if we don't it's just another in a long line of signs that Nashville can't run with the big dogs no matter how much smoke is blown up our... well... you know.

If all we get after this summer of being hopeful for Weber and Suter+ is a handful of firsts from a team that is going to be contending for years to come it's going to be very hard to be a passionate Predators fan next season...

Habs fan. You guys have to match, Weber is a franchise player and 4 1sts from the Flyers isnt even close to fair value. With Rinnie though you guys would be putting out tens of millions on these 2 players over next couple of years, thats alot and can the Preds afford it ?

Old
07-19-2012, 11:10 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:

A statement doesn't necessarily mean a decision I take it? Seems kindof unnecessary unless they've already decided.

Old
Byrddog

Really 27 mil in a calander year but what a mil between friends.

Old
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Its a pretty easy scenario to figure out. The 4 1st rounders will likely never live up to Shea Weber so the compensation from Philly really shouldn't play into it. That cap hit is definitely not bad for a player his caliber.

Comes down to if ownership can afford to pay him that much money or not. That's a ton of money for a small market team.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Iron Chef

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638229

Old
Shea Weber

almost had a heart attack reading that statement...

Old
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
probably matched it which would be good, but really puts the screws to the franchise in the next 4 years... should be interesting to see.

Old
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Nashville, Tenn. (July 19, 2012) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile issued the following statement this morning:

"We are in receipt of the offer sheet signed between the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber. Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, the Predators have one week to decide whether to match or accept the compensation. We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea. Our ownership has provided us with the necessary resources to build a Stanley Cup-winning team. Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term.

“We do not anticipate any further comments on this situation until we make our decision within the next seven days.”

Old
07-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
If that's the only statement today, I would say buckle in. Going to be a strange few days.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638229

Old
07-19-2012, 11:17 AM
predfan98

Okay, what are the differences in signing bonus $? If this deal is designed in this way there have to be advantages for Weber?

What are they? Are signing bonuses not subject to escrow? Are signing bonus not subject to taxes ? Are signing bonuses paid if there is a lockout? ETc?

It has to be something other than paid once a year rather than over 12 months like salary....

Old
07-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Top 6 Spaling

So..."We'll match any offer sheet, but we have to think about if we're gonna match this one or not."

We will match, I'm not worried.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
So..."We'll match any offer sheet, but we have to think about if we're gonna match this one or not."

We will match, I'm not worried.
No, this is typical Poile having to think about things for weeks at a time... which is why we are in this position in the first place. I understand these things take careful planning, but Poile has had a ton of time to get something done well before his hand was forced.

Closed Thread