HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Americans sign Frédérick Roy (1 year, 2-way AHL contract)

Old
07-19-2012, 12:15 PM
sabrefan27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
At least when announcers pronounce it the French-Canadian way, they'll be getting it right this time around.

Signings like this (and Joe Finley last year) were what I was hoping to see once Pegula bought the Amerks.
Really? I think I had a different expectation. But I still am excited to see what he can do.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:21 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Really? I think I had a different expectation. But I still am excited to see what he can do.
I like the ability to sort of try out prospects without having to lock them into an NHL deal that counts against the 50 contracts.

I always viewed the purchase as being largely about making the Sabres better and not about winning Calder Cups.

But, I've always viewed the Amerks from the POV of a Sabres fan first and foremost much to the chagrin of the Amerks diehards.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:34 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
I like the ability to sort of try out prospects without having to lock them into an NHL deal that counts against the 50 contracts.

I always viewed the purchase as being largely about making the Sabres better and not about winning Calder Cups.

But, I've always viewed the Amerks from the POV of a Sabres fan first and foremost much to the chagrin of the Amerks diehards.

Doesn't bother me how you view it. Everyone has a different opinion. But Pegula certainly made the claim that Calder Cups are the goal.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:37 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Doesn't bother me how you view it. Everyone has a different opinion. But Pegula certainly made the claim that Calder Cups are the goal.
I definitely took a "Show Me" approach when he talked about a Calder Cup.

And so far, they haven't shown that winning a Calder Cup is a priority or THE goal with the Amerks.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:42 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
I definitely took a "Show Me" approach when he talked about a Calder Cup.

And so far, they haven't shown that winning a Calder Cup is a priority or THE goal with the Amerks.
Agreed, I think that's why there's a certain faction of the Amerks fan base that is upset. If you want mostly a developmental model, fine, but come out and say it. Don't print a large ad in the paper saying a championship is the goal and then clearly not pursue it.

I don't blame Pegula, anyway. I'm sure he's pretty hands off when it comes to the Amerks. Darcy Regier has never shown the ability to construct elite AHL teams. I don't count the lockout. Prior to that, the dominant late 90's teams were very much a product of when Donner still signed some players.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Agreed, I think that's why there's a certain faction of the Amerks fan base that is upset. If you want mostly a developmental model, fine, but come out and say it. Don't print a large ad in the paper saying a championship is the goal and then clearly not pursue it.

I don't blame Pegula, anyway. I'm sure he's pretty hands off when it comes to the Amerks. Darcy Regier has never shown the ability to construct elite AHL teams. I don't count the lockout. Prior to that, the dominant late 90's teams were very much a product of when Donner still signed some players.
I can completely understand that POV.

The fact that they didn't sign an Asst GM that is the GM of the Amerks was one bad sign to me.

If they were about winning the Calder Cup as THE goal in Rochester, then they should hire someone like Jody as the Amerks GM and give that person the same resources that Regier has in Buffalo to build a winner.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:50 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
I can completely understand that POV.

The fact that they didn't sign an Asst GM that is the GM of the Amerks was one bad sign to me.

If they were about winning the Calder Cup as THE goal in Rochester, then they should hire someone like Jody as the Amerks GM and give that person the same resources that Regier has in Buffalo to build a winner.
But I don't see it as one or the other. The goal can be both to develop prospects for the Sabres and to win a Calder Cup. No NHL team has enough prospects turning pro each season to have a full roster of prospects. Draft well, sign your prospects, sign the absolute best veterans out there up until the max allowed. You're at least going to compete for a championship that way.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:52 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
But I don't see it as one or the other. The goal can be both to develop prospects for the Sabres and to win a Calder Cup. No NHL team has enough prospects turning pro each season to have a full roster of prospects. Draft well, sign your prospects, sign the absolute best veterans out there up until the max allowed. You're at least going to compete for a championship that way.
The tough part is all about premium ice time.

Do you give it to the vets in order to win or do you give it to the kids with NHL potential?

Old
07-19-2012, 02:02 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
The tough part is all about premium ice time.

Do you give it to the vets in order to win or do you give it to the kids with NHL potential?
There's plenty of ice time to go around. There needs to be a mix of both. I also don't believe every prospect should be gifted big ice time and minutes in all situations. We're talking about 5 veterans versus 13 prospects. So the majority will usually always go to the prospects.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:52 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
There's plenty of ice time to go around. There needs to be a mix of both. I also don't believe every prospect should be gifted big ice time and minutes in all situations. We're talking about 5 veterans versus 13 prospects. So the majority will usually always go to the prospects.
Signing a big time AHL center could take away from PP TOI for Girgensons in all likelihood.

Whereas getting him a big time AHL winger could help speed his development.

Granted, the vet rules automatically make the development slant more. But, whether you add bottom 6/pairing vets versus top of the lineup guys will affect what challenges your prospects get.

The Sabres have yet to take the Chicago Wolves type approach. It will be interesting to see if they ever do.

The whole Sabres U shtick and Roloson as the coach have me thinking that it isn't on the immediate horizon.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:03 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Signing a big time AHL center could take away from PP TOI for Girgensons in all likelihood.

Whereas getting him a big time AHL winger could help speed his development.

Granted, the vet rules automatically make the development slant more. But, whether you add bottom 6/pairing vets versus top of the lineup guys will affect what challenges your prospects get.

The Sabres have yet to take the Chicago Wolves type approach. It will be interesting to see if they ever do.

The whole Sabres U shtick and Roloson as the coach have me thinking that it isn't on the immediate horizon.
Girgensons will likely be on the 3rd line this season anyway, and they did sign a center in Porter. I'm fine with what the Sabres have at center here. What I'd like to see is another top 6 winger.

Nobody is saying the Wolves approach, although that would be nice. The way I see it. 4 veteran forwards. 3 in the top 6. How many AHL teams have more than 3 prospects worthy of top 6 minutes? Usually not many. One more vet to anchor the 3rd line. Then you add at least 1 vet on defense and usually in goal.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
“He’s an interesting player aside from having played with Mikhail,” Sabres general manager Darcy Regier said Thursday. “He comes from an underdog position and has a personality and a feistiness and a never-give-up-type attitude, and … that expression ‘never underestimate the human spirit,’ he’s a bad kid to bet against.

“I think those guys, they somehow find ways to the highest possible level. Where that’ll be for someone like him, who knows? They have a way of bringing other way with them, because people respect the work ethic, they respect the attitude and they’re fun guys to hang out with.”
http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...oy-to-AHL-deal

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:45 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I love these underdog stories, Roy = Rudy. Hopefully he makes it to NHL at some point.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:15 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Is he anything like his whacko brother who had no issues causing some trouble in juniors?? He sure had that famous incident...

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote