HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The case for Corey Tropp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2012, 11:01 AM
  #1
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
The case for Corey Tropp

I've noticed the consensus around here is that Corey Tropp will likely start the year in Rochester after competing for a spot in camp. It's hard to argue against that - with so few roster spots available and so many bodies vying for them, it's not a crazy assumption to make.

However, based on his play last year, Ruff's praise of said play and Regier's vow of wanting to make the team tougher to play against, is it really all that unrealistic to think that Lindy will make room for Corey come September?

Obviously nothing will be handed to Tropp on a silver platter. He'll have to work hard if he plans on making the squad. That's his game, though. I'm convinced he'd go through a wall if it meant playing in the NHL next season.

During the Ott presser, Lindy named Ott, Tropp and Foligno as players that will make Buffalo more difficult to play against. He later specified that Ott, Tropp, Foligno, Kaleta and McCormick make Buffalo a tougher team.

I think there's more 'o' to his game than his time in Buffalo showed last year. He's a tireless worker and plays with an edge. Lindy even started relying on him in penalty kill situations later in the year. He likes the elements Tropp adds to the team.

With the news that Buffalo has an outstanding offer for Doan (and the unlikeliness that he'll actually sign it), is it that unrealistic to think that could be Tropp's spot come September?

This is by no means another "line combos" thread, but for the sake of it:

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

With Scott as your spare and Ellis, Porter, Adam, Varone and Girgensons as your first call-up options.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:06 AM
  #2
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!
 
SabresAreScaryGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,776
vCash: 500
If they dont add a player, Tropp has a spot IMO.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:09 AM
  #3
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
I don't think there is any way Tropp plays in Rochester next year. He was a huge asset to this team last year. You don't take out players that helped your team win just to satisfy someone who is getting paid more. At prospect camp you could also tell Tropp is very skilled. I think last season he was just finding a niche to stay on the team. This season I think we will see him add more offense.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:10 AM
  #4
Superhero
Registered User
 
Superhero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
I think Grigerenko will be on the team

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
  #5
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
I think I expect to see Ellis in Rochester over Tropp.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:15 AM
  #6
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Based on the few replies thus far, maybe I'm mistaken in thinking the consensus is that Tropp will start in Rochester.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:37 AM
  #7
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,679
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Based on the few replies thus far, maybe I'm mistaken in thinking the consensus is that Tropp will start in Rochester.
He's in the mix. It depends on who they may acquire between now and camp. He's got lots of scrap to him, but his development years were as a scorer and he made a brokendown Vanek and tired Hodgson go last year in that role.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:42 AM
  #8
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He's in the mix. It depends on who they may acquire between now and camp. He's got lots of scrap to him, but his development years were as a scorer and he made a brokendown Vanek and tired Hodgson go last year in that role.
The boldfaced is why I don't think he "needs" to be upgraded as some have said at times this off-season.

He's a very valuable player and I think he can put up some solid numbers as the "jam" on his line with Vanek and Hodgson (10-15g, 20-25a).

He, Foligno, Ott, Gerbe, Kaleta and Leino at times really would make for a pain-in-the-ass bunch to play against.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
  #9
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,246
vCash: 500
I'm guessing he starts the year in Buffalo with Ellis in Rochester.

Vanek
Pominville
Leino
Ott
Kaleta
Stafford
Gerbe
Tropp
Foligno

Those are the wingers going into camp, which might make Tropp the odd man out. However, unless Grig/Girg/Adam make the team, one of Ott or Leino pretty much have to play center out of necessity. That would make room for Tropp to stay up and start the year in Buffalo. If Girg/Grig/Adam make the team, Tropp probably gets sent down.

As a side note, sabres.com is calling Ott a center, so he might be starting the year in the middle. Could just be a mistake, but with Leino whining about playing at center last season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ott start there.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
  #10
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
I don't think there is any way Tropp plays in Rochester next year. He was a huge asset to this team last year. You don't take out players that helped your team win just to satisfy someone who is getting paid more. At prospect camp you could also tell Tropp is very skilled. I think last season he was just finding a niche to stay on the team. This season I think we will see him add more offense.
Really? You don't think there is ANY way?

How about :
- The Sabres sign another forward
- The Sabres trade a D for a forward
- Girgensons has an AMAZING camp and makes the team
- Grigorenko has an AMAZING camp and makes the team

Right now, Tropp has a spot among the top 13 forwards... not seeing any possible way in which he DOESN'T hold on to one of those spots is a little blind, don't you think?

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Ott-Leino-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
x Scott

Any other forward making the team, would put Tropp's spot in jeopardy (the only guy who doesn't have to clear waivers).

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:56 AM
  #11
Andrej Shakira
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
I like his game so I hope he comes in ready to play NHL and not AHL hockey this season.

Andrej Shakira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:03 PM
  #12
DixonWard15
Registered User
 
DixonWard15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
I would rather have Tropp in the line up than Kaleta

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:36 PM
  #13
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
I would rather have Tropp in the line up than Kaleta
I'd like to have both in the lineup, personally.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:37 PM
  #14
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,519
vCash: 500
Putting Tropp on the "top" line is a mistake. And he wasn't THAT physical last year, only had 1.38 hits per game. Maybe in comparing him to the rest of the team then he is very physical but in the grand scheme of things he didn't hit that often. And 3 goals in 34 games is pretty bad, rookie or no rookie. No way should he play with Vanek, if anything put Grigorenko on the wing in that spot instead of Tropp.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:42 PM
  #15
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,585
vCash: 500
I think he'll make the team out of camp, for sure. I would be surprised/disappointed if he didn't.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
  #16
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Putting Tropp on the "top" line is a mistake. And he wasn't THAT physical last year, only had 1.38 hits per game. Maybe in comparing him to the rest of the team then he is very physical but in the grand scheme of things he didn't hit that often. And 3 goals in 34 games is pretty bad, rookie or no rookie. No way should he play with Vanek, if anything put Grigorenko on the wing in that spot instead of Tropp.
That you put "top" in quotes is to me indicative that you understand that Lindy Ruff wasn't rolling an offensive "number one line" last season.

Tropp reinvigorated Vanek/Hodgson late in the year. He was a tireless worker that finished his checks and fore-checked hard.

He had three goals in 34 games as a rookie. You pointed as much out. If I recall correctly, he typically played on the third/fourth lines until his stint with Vanek and Hodgson, so it's not really relevant how many goals he scored because he wasn't in a goal-scorers role.

He's displayed finish and offensive instincts through every step of his development. He'll by no means light the world on fire, but basing how he'll play offensively on several stints as a rookie when he wasn't used in a scorers role is extremely ignorant.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:55 PM
  #17
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
That you put "top" in quotes is to me indicative that you understand that Lindy Ruff wasn't rolling an offensive "number one line" last season.

Tropp reinvigorated Vanek/Hodgson late in the year. He was a tireless worker that finished his checks and fore-checked hard.

He had three goals in 34 games as a rookie. You pointed as much out. If I recall correctly, he typically played on the third/fourth lines until his stint with Vanek and Hodgson, so it's not really relevant how many goals he scored because he wasn't in a goal-scorers role.

He's displayed finish and offensive instincts through every step of his development. He'll by no means light the world on fire, but basing how he'll play offensively on several stints as a rookie when he wasn't used in a scorers role is extremely ignorant.
While not wrong, I think Ott can do more for Vanek/Hodgson than Tropp can. Assuming Ott doesn't play center, anyway.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
  #18
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
While not wrong, I think Ott can do more for Vanek/Hodgson than Tropp can. Assuming Ott doesn't play center, anyway.
I think both players can work in that role. But why should the amount of "hard to play against" players be limited?

I feel that Ott would work well with Leino and Pominville. The faceoff situation would be taken care of. Ott frees up some space for his linemates. Leino can feed Pominville while Ott crashes the net looking for junk. It's similar to how Vanek and Hodgson worked with Tropp and Stafford and Ennis worked with Foligno.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
  #19
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Tropp is has very average hands and strength, but he is high on the speed and attitude chart. Guys like that usually find a home on the PK sooner or later.

If I HAD to choose between Tropp and Kaleta...hmmmm

Kaleta. But as of today we need both of those guys fo sho

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:18 PM
  #20
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Tropp is has very average hands and strength, but he is high on the speed and attitude chart. Guys like that usually find a home on the PK sooner or later.

If I HAD to choose between Tropp and Kaleta...hmmmm

Kaleta. But as of today we need both of those guys fo sho
As of right now he is a better scorer and passer and I would argue skater than Kaleta is. He can actually work with the puck as opposed to Kaleta. The only thing Kaleta has going for him is he has experience on the PK but we have many penalty killers so I think we'll be fine without him.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:24 PM
  #21
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,215
vCash: 500
imo, there's gonna be a battle at camp this year between Girgogrenko, Tropp, Adam, and maybe even Girgensons for that last roster spot (with Vanek flipping wings as necessary depending on who makes it). If Tropp isn't on the roster at the start of the season, he's probably very high on the call-up list.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:29 PM
  #22
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,663
vCash: 500
Tropp's role next to Hodgson/Vanek was NOT to score goals. He was there to retrieve pucks and open up space for the other two guys.

Would it be nice if he chipped in more? Sure--and that's why a guy like Ott might be a better choice in that role. But Tropp is contributing--it's not his goal total going up, but Vanek and Hodgson.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:32 PM
  #23
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Tropp's role next to Hodgson/Vanek was NOT to score goals. He was there to retrieve pucks and open up space for the other two guys.

Would it be nice if he chipped in more? Sure--and that's why a guy like Ott might be a better choice in that role. But Tropp is contributing--it's not his goal total going up, but Vanek and Hodgson.
Agreed entirely. And it's not unrealistic to think his totals will go up as his offensive game grows acclimated to the NHL.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
  #24
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,679
vCash: 500
Awards:
There is more to the game than simply scoring or picking up assists.

Edit - beaten to the punch.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:43 PM
  #25
SabresFanNorthPortFL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
I still believe there will be a top 6 player added. No way DR & TP will be content with Roy for Ott flip, no way.

I'm not one of the majority in bringging Kaleta back. Injuries and track record with the league offices are my biggest concerns, which is why I'd rather have Tropp there (4th line).

I see Ott being plugged in where needed, and that need will be shifts as the 4th line center.....Gerbe - Ott - Tropp.

I can see one of the Girgs/Grigs getting a winger shot IF THEY HAVE A GOOD CAMP, and the way Girgs played in the development camp, he could become a darling of the organization.

I see pairings set, not lines, besides FES. I see Vanek - Hodgson and Leino - Pomms as pairs. Depending on who they bring in, depends on where Ott takes his normal top 6 spot.

I just am not thrilled with Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta. I like Gerbe - Ott - Tropp much better. I know we didn't trade for Ott to play 4th line center but at times it could work. Flip a dman for a forward, and come on, you know it's going to be hard for Doan not to take the money......

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Vanek - CoHo - Doan
Leino - trade/Girgs - Pomms
Gerbe - Ott - Tropp

Bye-bye Kaleta and Leo. I could live with that lineup.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.