Notices

Around The League - Hockey is back!

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

vCash: 500
So why the hell bob isnt going after weber? Or sutter? Or parise?

*sarcasm*

Old
07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

So I hope football goes well since there definitely won't be a NHL season next year

Old
07-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
After this, I'm guessing the NHL fights tooth and nail for it. They wanted it before, but they never really had much proof in the sense that it was hurting small market teams, especially with a smaller market handing out two of them. This changes things, though.

And we don't know for sure, but it's a very safe bet these contracts are done with. If I'm Getzlaf or Perry, I don't bet against that happening for sure. Too risky IMO.
I agree the league will want these contracts gone. But at the end of the day, what they want is to keep a bigger piece of a smaller defined pie. If they can get an acceptable (to them) version of that, I believe they will be less concerned with how the player's piece of the pie is split. I believe they will be more than willing to compromise on things like length and front loading. IMO, at the end of the day everything is a bargaining chip in order to keep more of the HRR.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
So I hope football goes well since there definitely won't be a NHL season next year
Kings fans will be f**ing around because they`ll be champions for two years in a row, if the upcoming season fails

Old
07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Nab77

Good move by Holmgren, I think Nashville will have a hard time matching that especially if Weber doesn't even wanna stay there, I know Anaheim wouldn't match if somebody offered that to Getz or Perry.

Even if they match, Holmgren ensures that nobody is getting him for free next summer. That means Pens, Detroit or Rags are gonna have to pay through the nose if they wanna trade for Weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I agree the league will want these contracts gone. But at the end of the day, what they want is to keep a bigger piece of a smaller defined pie. If they can get an acceptable (to them) version of that, I believe they will be less concerned with how the player's piece of the pie is split. I believe they will be more than willing to compromise on things like length and front loading. IMO, at the end of the day everything is a bargaining chip in order to keep more of the HRR.
I think they go hand in hand. Cutting down the players' percentage of HRR, or redefining HRR, is somewhat in vain if cap circumventing contracts like these are still allowed. These contracts have thrown salary structures out of whack and have really hurt small market teams, it's clearly a concern for them. They'll get both the percentage cut and these contracts disallowed. They probably won't get 5 year maximum lengths, but there'll definitely be caps IMO. Same with the way year to year salaries vary, they'll have some sort of limit on that.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
I think they go hand in hand. Cutting down the players' percentage of HRR, or redefining HRR, is somewhat in vain if cap circumventing contracts like these are still allowed. These contracts have thrown salary structures out of whack and have really hurt small market teams, it's clearly a concern for them. They'll get both the percentage cut and these contracts disallowed. They probably won't get 5 year maximum lengths, but there'll definitely be caps IMO. Same with the way year to year salaries vary, they'll have some sort of limit on that.
I agree with thinking it would be good for the league to see that happen. I just think that if the league expects to shrink the pie, shrink the players % of the pie, cut down the length of contracts and disallow front loading that we will not see NHL hockey for a very long time.

To some degree, it seems they already have the ability to unilaterally define cap circumvention contracts as the Devils found out. But they haven't been too serious about any of the others that have occurred.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Nab77

Quote:
No way the players give up that much, I think you're underestimating the pull the big teams have with the league. Bettman is not gonna cut the legs from under his moneymaker teams.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab77 View Post
No way the players give up that much, I think you're underestimating the pull the big teams have with the league. Bettman is not gonna cut the legs from under his moneymaker teams.
I don't understand why people actually believe this. 8 years ago a salary cap was cutting the legs from under his moneymaker teams. And even if that's different(it is, in a way), the NHL has already proposed all of those things, on a much larger scale. Clearly they have no problem weakening the big money teams.

As for the players, I actually think capping contract lengths and stopping salaries from varying wildly is a concession they easily make. Only a small percentage of the NHLPA actually benefit from this, but as far as I can tell, the rest actually suffer. Because of these ridiculous front-loaded deals, there's a fair bit more salary actually being paid than accounted for on the cap, so that could affect how much the players lose from escrow.

Escrow is also how the NHL is going to get their way in a lot of the negotiations, if they so choose. They lower the amount paid into escrow, or get rid of it altogether, and the players probably concede a ton of other issues.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab77 View Post
Bettman doesn't run the league, the owners do. If 20 owners decide they don't want 5-6 *******s ruining the sport they won't let them.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Theridion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Bettman doesn't run the league, the owners do. If 20 owners decide they don't want 5-6 *******s ruining the sport they won't let them.
I think capping contracts at 8 years or so makes sense for both sides, maybe dropping the cap as well.

The loopholes are long contracts and signing bonuses. I think those are non-isssues. Those deal with circumventing cap, and the players won't have much leverage there. They will have to accept that change, but it might come at the cost of the owners not dropping the player and salary cap. That seems like a draw.

The bigger issues are revenue sharing and avertising money... That's goina be the holdup. I can't imagine how far apart both sides are.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

I think the issue shouldn't be term but each year should only be allowed to change so often. No more 12 year deals with 1 million last 3 years. That's the killer.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:27 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Cutting the term to 5 or 6 year limit eliminates that though, which is the whole point of capping contract limits. Stops any young UFA from taking cheap years at the end of a deal as logically they'll still be close to their prime at the end of that 5 year deal for example.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:51 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I think it would be better to make the 35+ rule apply to all years over 35+ rather than explicitly cap contract length. But the age might have to be made older than 35 then.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I think the issue shouldn't be term but each year should only be allowed to change so often. No more 12 year deals with 1 million last 3 years. That's the killer.
Someone on the main boards proposed that contracts couldn't vary more than 2M from the cap hit. So a 7M cap hit could have a high year of no more than 9M and go no lower than 5M. Would allow flexibility year to year but get rid of circumvention.

I also think signing bonuses should be eliminated or drastically curtailed (no more than 10% of total contract value or something along those lines).

Old
07-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Agreed with everything here ^^

Old
07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I think it would be better to make the 35+ rule apply to all years over 35+ rather than explicitly cap contract length. But the age might have to be made older than 35 then.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Someone on the main boards proposed that contracts couldn't vary more than 2M from the cap hit. So a 7M cap hit could have a high year of no more than 9M and go no lower than 5M. Would allow flexibility year to year but get rid of circumvention.

I also think signing bonuses should be eliminated or drastically curtailed (no more than 10% of total contract value or something along those lines).
If the NHL wants signing bonuses gone, I can't see the players fighting too hard over that one. This isn't the NFL, the players get their money no matter what. Obviously there's an upside to it, but I think it's probably a concession they make.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Good article on league finances

Old
07-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
I think that article is pretty spot on.

All the recent expansion the league has done has mostly been into markets that will never support hockey like the Canadian markets and a few others. If the league continues to insist on having franchises in marginal markets then they are going to have to share more amongst themselves. If not then they need to shrink the size of the league so it can be more profitable individually. Of course shrinking the league is a disaster nobody wants. Neither owners (at least those that would lose their investment) nor the marginal players who will no longer be NHLers.

I think the players need to allow more work rule flexibility but I can't really see where asking them to shrink their % of the pie is the solution to this problem.

This CBA negotiation could be worse than the previous ones. Ugh.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Kings fans will be f**ing around because they`ll be champions for two years in a row, if the upcoming season fails
And many bandwagoners have already forgotten the game of hockey by then.

I'm confident that the season will start but not in time though...we'll probably have a 60-70 games regular season... they are just playing hard ball againts each other atm... normal stuff.

But it's so weird seeing the owners throwing around these crazy contracts in these times.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Jackets got bent over a barrel

Old
07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Exit Dose

We don't have to hear Dubinsky and Anisimov offers any more!

Old
07-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Leizi

So glad Nash isn't there to score 2 goals each game against the Ducks, multiple times during the season

Old
07-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Haha Columbus.

Closed Thread