11-29-2003, 10:05 AM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

vCash: 500
boy o boynton

from the espn fantasy hockey bruins correspondent:

Quote:
Boynton Prematurely Awarded Player of the Game
"The Next Bobby Orr" seemed more reality than myth last night until the most crucial moment when he failed to pick up a streaking Weight to allow the undefended game winner. He had a goal last night and was on the first PP unit, but man, when the shizznit hits the fan, he's always nearby wiping it off his face. Nick The Human Turnover handles the puck like its Michael Jackson's jock strap, leading to at least one uncontested odd-man rush per game. And for all his "gritty" play he sure seems to be getting popped an awful lot. Play him if you must, but there are better options out there. He just gets on my nerves.
in the offseaon many of you guys hyped boynton bigtime and he is still a player i like a lot, but i don't get to see him play too often

is he making as many mistakes as this correspondent says he is? what is your take on his play?

Old
11-29-2003, 10:34 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres

in the offseaon many of you guys hyped boynton bigtime and he is still a player i like a lot, but i don't get to see him play too often

is he making as many mistakes as this correspondent says he is? what is your take on his play?
No, the author of this piece is every bit as stupid as he sounds.

Old
11-29-2003, 10:37 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

methinks this author has a red rubber ball for a nose & and a capital L on his or her forehead- what a bunch of swill

just want to add, other than Mizral's assessment of the Broons (and he gets a mulligan and is welcome here to liven things up anytime) that may have been the single most ridiculous post I have ever read.

Last edited by DKH: 11-29-2003 at 10:39 AM.
Old
11-29-2003, 10:47 AM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Boynton's play certainly hasn't equalled last year's, but that quote is going WAY overboard. He's playing pretty well overall, but makes that one glaring error every few games that everyone remembers.

Boynton is a fine defenseman. The brain freeze will end, and everyone will forget about the errors.

Old
11-29-2003, 11:05 AM
scotiahockey
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
i personally think that boynton has yet to put a full game together, making less-than-good decisions at alot of key times in games. i liken him to a gambler that cant say no to any odds. sometimes his risky play works out and he looks like the next whoever(i wont say bobby orr cause that is next to blasphemy). but alot of time so far this season his gambling has left him bust and he has looked like the next bryan berard(maybe a bad example but you get my drift).

i think nick is better than he has shown overall so far this season and i think we will see that as the year progresses.

Old
11-29-2003, 11:11 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:

Who the hell is this idiot and how did he get a job as a fantasy correspondent for ESPN? Does he have an email address? I'd like to drop him a word or two.

Old
11-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

"The next Bobby Orr"?

I'd challenge the author to find anyone who actually said that in print.

Looks like a figment of the imagination to me. Boynton has been called a lot of things, but the second coming of Orr is not one of them. I'd say that the only comparison I ever recall hearing with Orr was the fact that Boynton had a high plus/minus rating coming out of junior.

But that's a far cry from being touted as "the next Bobby Orr."

Old
11-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Still a Bruin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
methinks this author has a red rubber ball for a nose & and a capital L on his or her forehead- what a bunch of swill

just want to add, other than Mizral's assessment of the Broons (and he gets a mulligan and is welcome here to liven things up anytime) that may have been the single most ridiculous post I have ever read.
Isn't Miz the guy who claimed Berard's defensive play puts McGillis and Jillson to shame, and that we'd find out soon enough?

McGillis has been the best defenseman since he got to Boston, and it's not like this has been with a losing team.
Holding his own with Moran as a partner is a chore I don't wish on any defenseman.

As for Boynton, I suppose if you were looking for Bobby Orr offensive numbers from Boynton for your fantasy team like this guy, then I suppose you'd be pretty ticked off at him.

Old
11-29-2003, 12:56 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants
Who the hell is this idiot and how did he get a job as a fantasy correspondent for ESPN? Does he have an email address? I'd like to drop him a word or two.
i applied for the position of fantasy correspondent for the bruins at ESPN, but i guess they found a much more suitable candidate (eye rolling guy)

Old
11-29-2003, 12:56 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still a Bruin fan
Isn't Miz the guy who claimed Berard's defensive play puts McGillis and Jillson to shame, and that we'd find out soon enough?

McGillis has been the best defenseman since he got to Boston, and it's not like this has been with a losing team.
Holding his own with Moran as a partner is a chore I don't wish on any defenseman.

As for Boynton, I suppose if you were looking for Bobby Orr offensive numbers from Boynton for your fantasy team like this guy, then I suppose you'd be pretty ticked off at him.
I just take his comments with a grain of salt because he comments here without watching cept a blurb on a goal hilite.

Old
11-30-2003, 04:27 AM
Jeff from Maine

He Is Good

Boynton is certainly a good #3/ average #2.

But I think we have seen Boynton and what we will be getting from him.

He and Thornton, IMHO, are both very good players, but they seem to be FAR from the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to hockey sense.

Both make absolutely mind numbingly STUPID decisions on the ice on frequent occassions.

Both can dominate in their respective zones, but for a couple guys who have been around as long as they have...the brain farts that they make happen WAY too frequentky for me.

I just think that these 2 guys are missing something upstairs that tells you to not be a total moron once in a while.

Kind of a harsh way of saying it...but its true. Both make mistakes that absolutely baffle me! The kind of mistakes that you dont make in the AHL!

But whatever....they dominate at other times, so we might as well live with it.

Later

Old
12-01-2003, 02:31 AM
prdbsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
Boynton is certainly a good #3/ average #2.

But I think we have seen Boynton and what we will be getting from him.

He and Thornton, IMHO, are both very good players, but they seem to be FAR from the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to hockey sense.

Both make absolutely mind numbingly STUPID decisions on the ice on frequent occassions.

Both can dominate in their respective zones, but for a couple guys who have been around as long as they have...the brain farts that they make happen WAY too frequentky for me.

I just think that these 2 guys are missing something upstairs that tells you to not be a total moron once in a while.

Kind of a harsh way of saying it...but its true. Both make mistakes that absolutely baffle me! The kind of mistakes that you dont make in the AHL!

But whatever....they dominate at other times, so we might as well live with it.

Later

Jeff I'm with you 110% I can't figure out why Boyton is/has been considered the #1 dman on this team. When I watch the other team score goals I always look to see who missed an assigmnet. Most of the time it is the beloved Nick Boyton. I'm begining to think he is as streaky as Stumple. His offensive talents are nill and I have not see the pyhsical play that he needs to be an average d-man. Not bashing the guy just think he has been ovehyped for a while. When you have a bunch a cubic zarconia's he looked like a gem. I just hope this trend ends soon. I feel his biggest weakness has been finding his man in front of the net. He has to step it up a noth or two for me to consider him the #3 on this team.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:58 AM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdbsfan
He has to step it up a noth or two for me to consider him the #3 on this team.
Then who are the one and the two?

Old
12-01-2003, 07:11 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
[QUOTE=Kirk- NEHJ]"The next Bobby Orr"?

I'd challenge the author to find anyone who actually said that in print.

QUOTE]

same thing here...

as soon as I saw that...I considered it and the rest laughable.

BOSTON STRONG !!!

Go Team Hoyt !
Old
12-01-2003, 07:47 AM
prdbsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
Then who are the one and the two?
This year? I would go with Mcgillis and Jillson....I might even throw Moran in there.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:38 AM
WickedBruinsGirl
I like the remix

Quote:
This year? I would go with Mcgillis and Jillson....I might even throw Moran in there.
If Jillson is considered a #2 defenseman, why did he only play 13 minutes if he averages around 20? I wouldn't think a #2 defenseman would be benched. I'd think Boynton is #3, even though he leads ice time. McGillis is easily the #1, Moran probably #2.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:49 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, Boynton has some problems...I was the FIRST one to point it out here, but he is still much better than Jillson and Moran.

What Boynton's problem is making a bad decision at bad times. He otherwise is a very good defenseman and does many, many good things right most of the time. Lets not make it out like he is the second coming of Jarno Kultanen.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:07 AM
prdbsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Dont get me wrong, Boynton has some problems...I was the FIRST one to point it out here, but he is still much better than Jillson and Moran.

What Boynton's problem is making a bad decision at bad times. He otherwise is a very good defenseman and does many, many good things right most of the time. Lets not make it out like he is the second coming of Jarno Kultanen.
Bruinz20 you hit the nail on the head with "making bad decisions at bad times." His bad decisions lead to goals. Hall Gill may get burnt 5 times a game but do they lead to goals??? It seems like when Nick makes mistakes it costs the team. So, those mistakes are more glaring. Hey, that could just be the way the puck rolls. I just hink he needs to be tougher in front of the net.

Old
12-01-2003, 10:29 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
It is interesting that the trend is to focus on the deficiencies of the players in the lineup instead of on the process by which the lineup is assembled. With Boynton and Jillson, you have two young players who are learning. Both have some good and bad points to their game. Both are probably overrated in that the hope should be that they will be quality, solid NHL defenseman - but probably are not cut from #1 all-star cloth.

The NEHJ hockey show had some interesting talk about the defensemen this past week. McGillis was not exactly praised. In fact, it sounded to me like they were lamenting the fact that the B's have not gone out and landed a bonafide star for the blueline. As they put it, Derek Morris was obtainable and they did not get it done.

I like our D group, including Jillson and Boynton, quite a lot. I think we will have great depth back there in a few years. But, do we have the crown jewel? The Avs have Morris and Blake and I don't think we've got guys on that par. I would not be inclined to drill into why Boynton is not a #1 guy - maybe he just isn't. There is nothing wrong with that, though I'd like to see him improve his game of course.

The group we have now has a lot of pluggers: Moran, Gill, O'Donnell, McGillis. None are very polished and/or at the top of their game these days. That's a conservative group, but this puts the pressure on Boynton and Jillson to really contribute. Compare that to Skoula/Foote/Blake/Morris or Jonsson/Hamrlik/Aucoin/Ninimma and you just have to include that the current group is light on talent.

I said before the season started that I see this year as a flyer and as part of a rebuilding process. I still think that. I don't want to see them go out and land a placeholder who will be gone in a couple years. Let's go with what we have, take our chances, and let the kids develop. if we can steal a Poti for Huml + X and X is not a prime player, then go for it. There is not much opportunity to do a whole lot more that will have lasting impact.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:01 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
It is interesting that the trend is to focus on the deficiencies of the players in the lineup instead of on the process by which the lineup is assembled. With Boynton and Jillson, you have two young players who are learning. Both have some good and bad points to their game. Both are probably overrated in that the hope should be that they will be quality, solid NHL defenseman - but probably are not cut from #1 all-star cloth.

The NEHJ hockey show had some interesting talk about the defensemen this past week. McGillis was not exactly praised. In fact, it sounded to me like they were lamenting the fact that the B's have not gone out and landed a bonafide star for the blueline. As they put it, Derek Morris was obtainable and they did not get it done.

I like our D group, including Jillson and Boynton, quite a lot. I think we will have great depth back there in a few years. But, do we have the crown jewel? The Avs have Morris and Blake and I don't think we've got guys on that par. I would not be inclined to drill into why Boynton is not a #1 guy - maybe he just isn't. There is nothing wrong with that, though I'd like to see him improve his game of course.

The group we have now has a lot of pluggers: Moran, Gill, O'Donnell, McGillis. None are very polished and/or at the top of their game these days. That's a conservative group, but this puts the pressure on Boynton and Jillson to really contribute. Compare that to Skoula/Foote/Blake/Morris or Jonsson/Hamrlik/Aucoin/Ninimma and you just have to include that the current group is light on talent.

I said before the season started that I see this year as a flyer and as part of a rebuilding process. I still think that. I don't want to see them go out and land a placeholder who will be gone in a couple years. Let's go with what we have, take our chances, and let the kids develop. if we can steal a Poti for Huml + X and X is not a prime player, then go for it. There is not much opportunity to do a whole lot more that will have lasting impact.
A couple points...sure Derek Morris was available...but would you give up Samsonov for him? Thats what it would have taken.

Second, McGillis has been great IMO. Not Norris great, but great from what I expected. No dissapointment at all.

I think that we have to look at what our D will look like in 2-3 years to really get excited. Stuart is almost a cant miss type, Jonsson is progressing, Jurcina is playing well in Providence (by all accounts), Jillson (despite some recent errors) has been doing very well in his first pro season, and Nick Boynton (again despite recent problems) is still a solid #3 type defender who could be a #2.

Finally I agree on Poti. If they will take Huml or Hilbert plus Morrisson you do it. I like Morrison and Huml, but Poti is a sure thing and gives you something you need now. My fear is that Poti is already overpaid and could become a real problem down the line contract wise.

Closed Thread