HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet - 14 Yrs - $110 Million - $7.857 Cap Hit (Pt IV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 01:36 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

vCash: 500
Well, I'd like to be the first person to thank Holmgrin and the rest of the Flyers organization for further ensuring we have a lock out year.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:37 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPower View Post
NHL Team Worth 2011-2012

#25 Nashville Predators

Total Revenue $82 million
Operating Income $-7.5 million

They were losing money last year, now with this contract...

In the first year alone it would cost them 33% of their total revenue of last season.

And I'm not sure how salary floor works but if the bonus doesn't count towards cap floor, they would need another players salary on top of that as well.
And with the likely impending lockout next years revenues will be lower.

Old
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartered View Post
The Predators and Flyers can agree to an alternate form of compensation besides the first round picks. This can include players. It's not really a "trade" in the traditional sense, but Nashville has some options besides the picks if the Flyers are willing to negotiate. Philly has the upper hand in that department, though.
Yes, but that would be a separate transaction, no? To me, Weber signed contract with Flyers and unless, Preds match the offer, he's a Flyer, no "in the meantime" trades can change that.

Old
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Only 1 year and $26M from now would he be able to do that.
What does he have to lose to wait the year? Except well 26 million dollars. Instead of 4 1st rounders they can get 2-3 Proven players, 1-2 Good Prospects, and a pick or two. Worth much higher than 4 1st rounders.

Old
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
someone posted how if the pereds/flyers worked out a deal to trade the picks back to philly for players it wouldnt involve actually trading the picks back, but in fact, it would, as Meltzer explains it....there would be two different deals
Absolutely brutal deal by Lightning at time and looks much worse all these years later

Deal didn't do much for Flyers either (Also killed the best line of the 90's outside of Olympic line)

Unless Preds are getting some quality young players back it would be foolish of them to follow in Lightning footsteps

Old
07-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Yes, but that would be a separate transaction, no? To me, Weber signed contract with Flyers and unless, Preds match the offer, he's a Flyer, no "in the meantime" trades can change that.
I give up

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Well, I'd like to be the first person to thank Holmgrin and the rest of the Flyers organization for further ensuring we have a lock out year.
This contract is no different than the dozen other cap circumvention contracts.

Old
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Yep most of his pay is in signing bonus so he will still get it if there is a lockout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
And with the likely impending lockout next years revenues will be lower.
Which is double the disaster for Nashville if they choose to retain Weber. Not saying they shouldn't but this may really test their financial strength over the next 2-3 years.

Old
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent, Kevin Epp, said money wasn't a factor in signing the offer sheet
It's about the money. Lots and lots of money.

Old
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
I thought it was explained. But I'll try again. Nashville has the right to ask for players instead of the 4 picks, or a combination of both. Essentially it'll be two separate trades officially. It was done with Chris Gratton back in 97' as someone pointed out.
You made it sound like some other team can make an offer. Like I said, and you confirmed, it's not part of the main "offer sheet" transaction, but would be essentially, a separate one.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
This article summarizes the brillance of this move by the flyers and how it handicaps the Preds.

http://deadspin.com/5927347/shea-web...ng-masterpiece

Old
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPower View Post
NHL Team Worth 2011-2012

#25 Nashville Predators

Total Revenue $82 million
Operating Income $-7.5 million

They were losing money last year, now with this contract...

In the first year alone it would cost them 33% of their total revenue of last season.

And I'm not sure how salary floor works but if the bonus doesn't count towards cap floor, they would need another players salary on top of that as well.
I'm pretty sure that is only the hockey operations income. The team also benefits greatly from non-hockey revenue, which isn't listed in that figure. Remember, the Bridgestone Arena is one of the busiest arenas in the world, and a good amount of that is non-hockey.

edit: I'm getting really ****ing tired of being a fan of a small market team who can so easily be handcuffed by a large market team. Great CBA we got there after a lock out...

Old
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent, Kevin Epp, said money wasn't a factor in signing the offer sheet, but that Weber likes ‪#Flyers‬ history and Cup chances.

@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent says the Dman considers Philadelphia "a destination place." ‪#Flyers‬ ‪#Preds

@BroadStBull

"We felt it was the right fit," Epp, Weber's agent, says of ‪#Flyers‬. He says he "wouldn't be surprised 1 way or the other" on who gets him.
Please. He saw $110,000,000.00 on the contract and signed right away not knowing if it were the Red Wings, the Rangers, the Flyers, the Predators, or the Sharks. He was signing that because of the money.

Old
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:
It's not a trade. The Predators have two choices on the table:

Match
Don't Match

If they don't want the four first round picks, they have the option of negotiating alternative compensation from the Flyers. It's possible given the amicable trade relationship between Holmgren and Poile up to this point, but the Flyers have all of the negotiating leverage and can say "It's Weber or the four first round picks. No negotiations."

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
What does he have to lose to wait the year? Except well 26 million dollars. Instead of 4 1st rounders they can get 2-3 Proven players, 1-2 Good Prospects, and a pick or two. Worth much higher than 4 1st rounders.
Can a team who lost money last season afford to give that up? especially with the threat of a lockout?

Old
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
For a cash strapped team like the Preds, paying Weber $26 million for ONE season is not an option.

Old
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Nashville will probably just look to see if they can afford it and then make a decision at the weekend.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
I give up
Short on words son....

Old
07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
hurricanedave

I am a little confused, why do they have to pay him the 26 million right away? Sorry if this has been explained already.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:41 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
It is not in Poile's hands anymore.

If it were up to Poile the offer would already be matched and he would spend to the cap every year... but that is not the reality of the situation.

I don't think his owner allows him to match. Nashville is not paying 26 million bones over a calender year to any 1 player... let alone a player that doesn't want to be there.

Old
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent, Kevin Epp, said money wasn't a factor in signing the offer sheet, but that Weber likes ‪#Flyers‬ history and Cup chances.

Never doubt what agents and politicians say.

Old
SpezDispenser

Quote:
@BroadStBull

bahahahahahahahahah. Good one.

Old
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartered View Post
It's not a trade. The Predators have two choices on the table:

Match
Don't Match

If they don't want the four first round picks, they have the option of negotiating alternative compensation from the Flyers. It's possible given the amicable trade relationship between Holmgren and Poile up to this point, but the Flyers have all of the negotiating leverage and can say "It's Weber or the four first round picks. No negotiations."
Well, that's exactly what I was saying. Some made it sound like trades were still possible.

Old
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
You made it sound like some other team can make an offer. Like I said, and you confirmed, it's not part of the main "offer sheet" transaction, but would be essentially, a separate one.
No...they can agree upon a compensation other than the four first rounders.

Old
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedave View Post
I am a little confused, why do they have to pay him the 26 million right away? Sorry if this has been explained already.
Signing bonus for this year ($13 million) then after he plays the 2012/2013 year he gets another bonus on 7/1/2013 again for $13 million.

Closed Thread