HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier has asked for a trade.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Am I the only one here that thinks some of you guys are overreacting to Bernier talking?

It isn't as if he's badmouthing the organization.
As Ziggy said above, he is not only hurting the team's chances at getting value for him, he is actually (and ironically) hurting his own chances at getting traded timely by talking so much.

Which makes him stupid in my book. To actually wish something to occur (in this case, the desire to be traded), and then to go out and repeatedly act in a way that makes it much more difficult to get what you wish is just plain...

...stupid (just can't think of a more apt word).

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:58 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Sorry fellas, I'll respectfully disagree.

The common sense in me tells me that the GMs already understand Bernier's situation and are aware that he wants out asap.

Bernier simply answering a question here or there about his pending trade is pretty much insignificant imo.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Have you ever seen a team receive full value for a player who has publicly voiced his desire to be traded? He can make his request in private, that's fine, but to go public hurts LA's leverage.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Have you ever seen a team receive full value for a player who has publicly voiced his desire to be traded? He can make his request in private, that's fine, but to go public hurts LA's leverage.
Carter?

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Am I the only one here that thinks some of you guys are overreacting to Bernier talking?

It isn't as if he's badmouthing the organization.
He doesn't need to badmouth the Kings for him to look stupid. He just needs to be quiet. Dean knows Bernier wants a chance to prove himself. Bernier doesn't need to remind him every chance he gets. It just makes him look bad.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Carter?
Although the rumors were out there, I don't think you can find any quotes that can be attributed to Carter saying he wanted out. It was obvious the day he was traded he was pissed off, but that's a different circumstance considering the contract he had signed thinking he'd be a Flyer for life.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:24 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Sorry fellas, I'll respectfully disagree.

The common sense in me tells me that the GMs already understand Bernier's situation and are aware that he wants out asap.

Bernier simply answering a question here or there about his pending trade is pretty much insignificant imo.
A voice of reason this can't be the right boards.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Well, I'm guessing it's Frattin or one of their goalies plus a pick as it's been rumored. I would love Frattin down in manchester, but I'd doubt he'd be happy having to play down in the ahl.
Frattin has a one way contract.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:02 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Take it with a grain of salt (as this is the same person who wrote that the Kings were going to trade Johnson and a 1st for Pronger years back).
http://twitter.com/andystrickland/st...69593895682049
Interesting. If it's a goalie we want back, I put my money on Acrivens due to the cap hit and likely much lower cost. Plus he's put up great numbers where ever he's been. If it's a skater, Frattin or MacArthur seem the likely choices, though maybe we want a bigger deal and are seeking Lupul somehow. No matter what happens, there will be picks involved as well, or maybe a prospect.

If we go the prospect route, I hope we somehow include Joe Colbourne in the deal.

Quote:
Well, I'm guessing it's Frattin or one of their goalies plus a pick as it's been rumored. I would love Frattin down in manchester, but I'd doubt he'd be happy having to play down in the ahl.
Why would he be in the AHL? He's a legit NHLer and frankly I'd rather try to work him in than keep up Richardson (not to mention it'd be a cap savings of $250,000 between the two).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfansince1967 View Post
I still am convinced that the best we could get for Bernier is a back-up goalie and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

The fact that Jonathan B was drafted in Round number One doesn't prove anything.

Do you know these Round One picks between 2000 and 2006 (and it is more than expected that they would have became number one goalies since)

In 2000: Brent Krahn CAL Pick #9
In 2001: Pascal Leclaire COL #8; Jason Bashihua DAL #26; Adam Munro CHI #29
In 2002: Hannu Toiven BOS #29
In 2004: Al Montoya NYR #6
In 2006: Riku Henius TB #15

And about Round 1 and Round 2 picks that are in the NHL but are far from being dominant: Martin Biron; Rick Di Pietro; Alex Auld; Peter Budaj, Senyon Varlamov

Later picks that have proven themselves as of now: Ryan Miller (Round 5 #148); Pekka Rinne (R8 #258) Ryan Miller (R5 #138); Jonathan Quick (R3 #72); N Khabibulin (R9 #204); Mike Smith (R5 #161). And let's not forget undrafted signed as free agents: Antti Niemi and Jonas Hiller.

I still believe that the best case scenario would be to have him start the 2012-2013 season (when the season starts..., give him more opportunities and higher un the stakes for a better trade come trade deadline. But I just don't think that will happen, Bernier will be trader before training camp.

Who are the teams in need of a solid #1 goalie: Islanders, Maple Leafs, Senators and Penguins (Oh yeah we could but in Vancouver because of Roberto "choker" Luongo but they have Schneider...).

These teams could be interested in Bernier but then again, all confident we can be that Bernier will be a goad goalie in the NHL (and I am part of the "we") that still has to be proven. Here in Montreal my Habs "friends" haven't forgot a certain Jose Theodore... It is nice to think that Bernier will be a great goalie but as the old saying goes "The proof of the pudding is in the eating"
This says nothing. Have some first round goalie picks flopped? Sure. So have a lot more 1st round forwards and D-men too.

There is another thread elsewhere, I believe on the prosepct boards, about where goalies are drafted. Dominant or not, about half of all NHL goalies (starters or backups) last year were former first round picks or 2nd round picks. Something like 14 of 30 starters in the NHL last year (starter being the goalie with the most games played in for their particular team) were first or second round picks. Your odds of a 1st round goalie panning out are higher than any other round.

Additionally, it shouldn't be ignored that the team acquiring Bernier may not be doing it to use him as their starter THIS season. Say for example New Jersey tardes for Bernier. They would be doing so with the expectation that Bernier starts say 30 games next year and the year after, lessing Broduer's workload, but also setting him up to start full time in a few years when broduer retires. I doubt NJ gets Bernier, but it's an example to illustrate a point. Other teams may want to look at what St. Louis did with their tandem netminding between Elliott and Halak, and a guy like Bernier would be very ideal for that; a goalie that needs more playing time, but maybe isn't ready for 55+ games a season either. As such, the number of teams after Bernier could be substancially higher than you think.

Trade value will likely fall in line somewhere either with Lindback's return, or Varlamnov's return (I say closer to Lindback's). Those are your precidents, and DL has plenty of time to play chicken with another GM who needs a goalie much more than DL needs to trade one.

Btw, what is there to 'forget' about Theodore? Yeah, his final few seasons weren't the best, but the guy won a Hart and Vezina there and was you're starting goalie for 5+ seasons, three of which he had a save percentage of .919 or higher. I don't get the comparision to Bernier at all, unless you're implying Bernier will do as well as Theodore. That's hardly a bad thing.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:09 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

I don't think you'll get Colbourne from the Leafs, as Centre is not in a position of strength. You can get good grinders, two way defensemen, or 2nd/3rd round picks.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:19 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Why would he be in the AHL? He's a legit NHLer and frankly I'd rather try to work him in than keep up Richardson (not to mention it'd be a cap savings of $250,000 between the two).
Because we're loaded on the LW. And having Frattin replace Richie just means, he'll be a healthy scratch, which isn't beneficial to anyone.

I've read somewhere that Frattin has a one way contract, so, his option may only be the nhl.

I say let's take Brad Ross who's still couple of years away plus a pick instead of Frattin.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:32 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Quote:
Because we're loaded on the LW. And having Frattin replace Richie just means, he'll be a healthy scratch, which isn't beneficial to anyone.

I've read somewhere that Frattin has a one way contract, so, his option may only be the nhl.

I say let's take Brad Ross who's still couple of years away plus a pick instead of Frattin.
Frattin could probably play both wings as he does shoot right. It was discovered late last season that he is better in the off wing.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:44 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Then move him to the other wing. The easiest position to move to is the wings (or from one wing to another). As the above poster said, Frattin plays both wings anyways.

Yes we won the cup, but we can't simply approach this as everyone is locked into their roles from the playoffs and that it will work in the regular season. Remember, we barely even made the playoffs and as crazy awesome as our playoff run was, I don't think we should expect to see an 8th seed win the cup again for a long time. there's a reason we were the first to ever do it.

Frattin would be a great player to have around, especially if Penner tanks again or Gagne gets hurt. We were woefully short on the wings last year, let's not fool ourselves that the playoffs cured all that.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Then move him to the other wing. The easiest position to move to is the wings (or from one wing to another). As the above poster said, Frattin plays both wings anyways.

Yes we won the cup, but we can't simply approach this as everyone is locked into their roles from the playoffs and that it will work in the regular season. Remember, we barely even made the playoffs and as crazy awesome as our playoff run was, I don't think we should expect to see an 8th seed win the cup again for a long time. there's a reason we were the first to ever do it.

Frattin would be a great player to have around, especially if Penner tanks again or Gagne gets hurt. We were woefully short on the wings last year, let's not fool ourselves that the playoffs cured all that.
The Kings were also 13-5-3 after the Carter trade in the regular season (113 point season pace). That would be 29-9-3 in the last 41 games played by the Kings (122 point season pace). They weren't a typical 8th seed and they didn't get "hot" for the playoffs. They played to their potential once Carter was acquired. This was the same team that was a pre-season cup "contender" on paper.

I don't expect a President's trophy season, but a Pacific crown shouldn't be much of a stretch for next season.

Having Brown, Williams, Carter, Penner, Gagne, Lewis, King, Nolan, Richardson and Clifford is woefully short on the wings?

This will also be Sutter's first training camp with the Kings and they will have a new offensive assistant coach that is more in line with what Sutter wants to see from the Kings.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Orbital

Nazem Kadri for Bernier-straight up good 'ole hockey trade!

Orbital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
As Ziggy said above, he is not only hurting the team's chances at getting value for him, he is actually (and ironically) hurting his own chances at getting traded timely by talking so much.

Which makes him stupid in my book. To actually wish something to occur (in this case, the desire to be traded), and then to go out and repeatedly act in a way that makes it much more difficult to get what you wish is just plain...

...stupid (just can't think of a more apt word).
Yup and even if the other GMs know, that just means it was even less necessary for him to trumpet it. Kings get a tiny bit hurt by this in the big picture but Bernier undoes a lot of the work he did on his image the last couple of years trying to make himself look like a good teammate instead of the pouty, self-entitled former first-rounder.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Perro

I think the main thing that has hurt his value is the fact that Tampa has already made their move for Lindback.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:09 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The Kings were also 13-5-3 after the Carter trade in the regular season (113 point season pace). That would be 29-9-3 in the last 41 games played by the Kings (122 point season pace). They weren't a typical 8th seed and they didn't get "hot" for the playoffs. They played to their potential once Carter was acquired. This was the same team that was a pre-season cup "contender" on paper.

I don't expect a President's trophy season, but a Pacific crown shouldn't be much of a stretch for next season.

Having Brown, Williams, Carter, Penner, Gagne, Lewis, King, Nolan, Richardson and Clifford is woefully short on the wings?

This will also be Sutter's first training camp with the Kings and they will have a new offensive assistant coach that is more in line with what Sutter wants to see from the Kings.
Come on Syd, can it with your help symbols with me here.

Let me clarrify, we were woefully thin on scoring wingers last year. Looking at the list you gave above, Brown, WIlliams and Carter are the only consistent things there and while Penner, Gagne and King all have the potential pop to add to that group, I'd be more than happy to add another winger in who has upside in case all three fail, and there's reason to be cautious on all three of them.

I also know very well how the Kings did after Carter. I also know teams will be much more mindful of that next year as well. That Pacific crown will not be as easy to win as you think.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:11 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
Good for Toronto maybe. Kings pass.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:55 AM
KingsCourt

Kadri is a turd.. Ewwwww

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
Kings are loaded down the middle as it is.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Any interest in a package for a prospect like Jerry D'Amigo and a backup in Ben Scrivens?

Jerry D'Amigo + Ben Scrivens + 2nd Round Pick (2013)

Jerry D'Amigo is a LW. Compares his style to Zach Parise. Lock to be at least a 3rd line winger, 2nd line upside. Could use another season in AHL. Stud in AHL playoffs and still only 21 years old. Lombardi must know him well since he's a USA product. Scrivens is ready for the NHL, he was absolutely dominant in the AHL playoffs and is a quality person. Very evident he went to Cornell and has a good head on his shoulders. The 2nd round pick is in a deep draft.

I really want Jonathan Bernier in Toronto.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:07 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Any interest in a package for a prospect like Jerry D'Amigo and a backup in Ben Scrivens? Jerry D'Amigo + Ben Scrivens + 2nd Round Pick (2013) Jerry D'Amigo is a LW. Compares his style to Zach Parise. Lock to be at least a 3rd line winger, 2nd line upside. Could use another season in AHL. Stud in AHL playoffs and still only 21 years old. Lombardi must know him well since he's a USA product. Scrivens is ready for the NHL, he was absolutely dominant in the AHL playoffs and is a quality person. Very evident he went to Cornell and has a good head on his shoulders. The 2nd round pick is in a deep draft. I really want Jonathan Bernier in Toronto.
Big no to Jerry D'Amigo

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Big no to Jerry D'Amigo
Ok.

But why a 'big no'?

Old
07-20-2012, 06:49 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Ok.

But why a 'big no'?
We have enough 3rd line wingers. Quality for quantity is not needed.
Would you like to trade JVR for King and Clifford?

Last edited by kinghock: 07-20-2012 at 06:54 PM.
kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote