HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How happy are you now that we signed Special K?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:53 PM
R2010

vCash: 500
I would not trade 4 firsts for any player not named Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares etc...

Nashville is a great drafting team - give Columbus 4 1sts and it means nothing. Give Nashville 4 1sts and it means they will be set in the future. ... Imagine the predators are gonna have 8 first round picks in the next 4 years... If you look at late 1st rounders in the last few years you do see some real high quality guys there. I believe you build a team around many young guys not a team around one big player

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Can we never refer to Karlsson as Special K ever again? No one wants to share nicknames with street drugs.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:20 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Can we never refer to Karlsson as Special K ever again? No one wants to share nicknames with street drugs.
Its also a cereal.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:49 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Its also a cereal.
Great so he now shares a nickname with a cereal and street drug. What more could a man ask for?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:28 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Great so he now shares a nickname with a cereal and street drug. What more could a man ask for?
Before a game, Karlsson smokes some of that special fiyaa kush and eats a bowl of special k when getting the munchies soon after. Notice how the man is so smooth out there.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
4 1sts that will be in the 20-30 range for Shea Weber? I'd do it.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

If I was Nashville, I would take the picks.

Theoretically, NSH can turn around and make a huge splash for the next big free agent. They'll have a young core that will help them draw talent. Imagine if NSH used the free cap space to sign a player like Suter (I know they just let him walk)?

Now the deal looks like

Weber
for
Suter + 4 firsts

That would be a killing for Nashville.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
We definately got a great deal.

But in response to some people expecting Karlsson to stay a 70pt dman, I think you're a little to optimistic. Think Meszaros in his last year here.

I'd expect Karlsson's prime to be a 50-60pt dman. With a few where he scratches at 70 points. He could prove me wrong and turn out to be a generational Dman but i'd rather be more conservative.
Not sure where Meszaros enters this question. Meszaros (and Priessing and Corvo) benefitted from being on an obscenely good team and being bottom pairing defenceman asked to play easy match ups with good offensive forwards out on the ice with them. Meszaros had some moments of stepping up big and playing quality minutes with injuries a few stretches but his points and plus minus were very positively affected by his situation. While Karlsson faced the toughest matchups every single shift he took and was the best player along with Spezza, by far on the team. They are massively different players, in massively different roles. Why would anyone think Karlsson will end up being a 50-60 point D-man when on an average team, in his third year, while continueing to vastly improve every aspect of his game, and being perhaps one of the couple of smallest D-Men in the NHL? Why would anyone NOT think he is going to improve on his offence?

He will average a point a game for the next 10 seasons. Book it, my prediction. 70-90+ points year in and year out.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
giving up 4 firsts is risky business, imagine if this were pre-2008 for us, and we gave away Karlsson, Cowen, Turris (traded pick for Rundblad and then traded for Turris) and Zibanejad. Karlsson is already on the level of Weber.

Mind you we would have finished higher with Weber, but it's always a gamble when you give up four first rounders.
Of course I would give up our next 5 first rounders to get a player as good as Karlsson.... or Crosby... Malkin etc.

The 4 first rounders of the Senators before 2008 were O'Brien, Foligno, Lee, Meszaros. All of them turned into NHL players, so actually not too bad of picks. But you would easily give up that for Weber (or Karlsson).

I don't see it as too great of a risk from Philadelphia. They have a lot of the pieces signed and have a lot of young players. They can take the risk and not be fleeced of the the future and also expect to finish at least in a playoff spot for the next 4 years and not tank like the Leafs did after trading for Kessel. Of course lots of things can chance in 4 years.

I liked the Pronger signing when they made it. And even though he got injured they did make a final. I would take that calculated risk again if I was Philly and they have.

If you are going to gamble, might as well do it on studs like Pronger or Weber or even Jagr as Philly has. You are gambling so much more to make an offer sheet for a secondary player or just a futures player or sign unpredictable players like say Leino as a UFA to expensive long term deals. Philly is making SMART plays. They are acquiring true superstar players. And traded their own establshed players for true top echlon prospects or very high draft picks that yielded Courtier.

If I am a Flyers fan I could not be happier with the kind of moves the team has made for many years now. Go with Quality. Commit long term. In the unlikely event a player is not working out like Carter or Richards.. move them for quality not just quantity. Use your assets to get equally as valuable assets.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Holdurbreathe

After reading about the Weber offer sheet, it seems the deal violates everything the NHL is looking to put a stop to with the new CBA.

Good luck to Bettman and Co. attempting to sell the NHLPA on the need for maximum length contracts and the elimination of bonus money with deals like the recent three.

IMO it just shows how dysfunctional the NHL owners are as a group and no matter how hard Bettman tries, he can't save them from themselves.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Now I've looked into it even more...

This contract is actually ridiculous... 14 years for one person... they really need to put a limit IMO, maybe 10 years TOPS...

As for EK's deal, it's perfect... Saying that though, if he continues at his pace he's gonna ask for bigger money when it comes to the renewal...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:22 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Special K is a weak nickname.

I like Erik Norrisson.....The Gazelle.....Jesus....or EK65.
Quote:

Exactly, very, very week. Lock and delete thread. It's a cereal name, don't go there.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:53 PM
CoolGuyDave
Illest guy in town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Wait... PolkaDave had a serious post... say whaaaaaa

Oh, nevermind.
Serious is my middle name! Actually, it's Hugh-Johnson, but that's pretty serious

CoolGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Jnewman

First, and as duly noted by almost everyone, Special K is the lamest nickname I've ever heard, makes it seem like he's developmentally challenged for God's sake.
Secondly, locking him up for 5 years at 6.5 per is hands down the best bit of management in this ludicrous off-season.
With the personnel Murray is assembling and under MacLean's high tempo attacking style there's no reason to think EK can't stay in the 70-80+ point range every season. The older he gets, the more confidence he gets and the more comfortable he'll become
in putting his personal stamp on this team.
I'd really like to see him teamed up with Cowan this year - with Cowan to hang back EK will have the freedom to go end to end whenever the mood strikes him. And it would certainly be nice to see EK setting up Cowan for some slappers on the PP, Cowan's got a cannon (and accurate too), just needs to be prodded to use it a little more often.

Jnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Kershaw

Ranger fan here. And perhaps things may not be good between our fanbase after the playoff series, the main threads is infested with anti-Karlsson propaganda. I don't think I've ever seen a player this underrated on the main boards. I thought Del Zotto got it bad from the main board for being a trainwreck defensively, but the wolf pack mentality on the main boards makes it seem like Karlsson is a poor man's Anders Eriksson on defense.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Specia K came out in 56, how awesome would it have been if it came out in 65.

Also, his team mates call him King K.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:15 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Ranger fan here. And perhaps things may not be good between our fanbase after the playoff series, the main threads is infested with anti-Karlsson propaganda. I don't think I've ever seen a player this underrated on the main boards. I thought Del Zotto got it bad from the main board for being a trainwreck defensively, but the wolf pack mentality on the main boards makes it seem like Karlsson is a poor man's Anders Eriksson on defense.
Most of us don't ever bother defending him anymore there because it just keeps going in a circle. Probably the same kind of people who believe 9/11 was a conspiracy.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Iamok
#Panic

1. Special K sounds awful, but that's already been addressed.
2. Who cares what people think of EK any more? If a Norris doesn't change anything, nothing will.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:24 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
1. Special K sounds awful, but that's already been addressed.
2. Who cares what people think of EK any more? If a Norris doesn't change anything, nothing will.
100% agreed.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
I think a lot of fan of other teams are jealous. We are all guilty of saying "player X" sucks.

Anyone would want King K on their team. He was compared to Coffey, Potvin and lesser extent Orr all year long.

Weber and Chara never were.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:40 PM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
giving up 4 firsts is risky business, imagine if this were pre-2008 for us, and we gave away Karlsson, Cowen, Turris (traded pick for Rundblad and then traded for Turris) and Zibanejad. Karlsson is already on the level of Weber.

Mind you we would have finished higher with Weber, but it's always a gamble when you give up four first rounders.
I'm going to go with the unpopular viewpoint of saying that Weber is still better than Karlsson only in that Weber has maintained consistent numbers for the past 4-5 years, something that Karlsson may or may not do. However that is problematic in and of itself since they play different styles of defense.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:16 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Welcome. Its good to see a fan of another team (one we had a bitter 7 game playoff series with, no less) recognize the special player that EK is. Ultimately though, for all those fans who criminally underrate him, its pure jealousy. There's not a fan of any team in the league that wouldn't give their left arm and right leg to have him on their team, especially on the sweet contract that he is on. I'm not into the EK - Weber comparisons, as they are similar in some ways and very different in others, but suffice it to say, anyone would love to have either on their team. I'd say though the only thing Weber has over EK is size and hitting, and the thing EK has over Weber is that Weber went to arbitration, and the next year is trying to offer sheet his way out of town, whereas EK resigned with his team, to a great contract, about as soon as he was allowed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
I'm going to go with the unpopular viewpoint of saying that Weber is still better than Karlsson only in that Weber has maintained consistent numbers for the past 4-5 years, something that Karlsson may or may not do. However that is problematic in and of itself since they play different styles of defense.
Weber has also been playing on quite good teams, whereas through his short career thus far, Karlsson has never played for a contender, really. Last year we overperformed but were never a true contender, the year before that, we were a trainwreck, and the year before that, he was a raw rookie.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote