HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NHL Free Agency Thread 7 (Legit Sources ONLY) Shane Doan visiting Montreal (Post 400)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 03:58 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
Flyers are desperate.

Their goaltending is still crap. They lost Pronger, Jagr and Carle and did not gain anything of significance.

Desperate contract move.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:03 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'd offer sheet Voracek if I was him, that would be # 1
That would be like having them exchange 1st round picks. At this rate, with the loss of Radulov, Weber and Suter, they might be in the 2013 lottery.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:08 PM
gillyguzzler

If I'm Poile, I match the offer and then trade him to the Rangers just to pisss off the Flyers.

Or, I match the offer and trade him to the Islanders or the Coyotes just to pisss off Weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
If I'm Poile, I match the offer and then trade him to the Rangers just to pisss off the Flyers.

Or, I match the offer and trade him to the Islanders or the Coyotes just to pisss off Weber.
And pay $28 millions bucks to do that?

Old
07-19-2012, 04:22 PM
The Right Price

I don't understand the hate towards Flyers and Holmgren in this case. The offer is completely legal (even though it is a bit over the top, but still legal). Flyers are desperate, they've lost Pronger, Carle on D. Timonen, Lilja, Meszaros are not getting any younger either and above all, they have Mr. Universe guarding the goal with Michael Leighton as back up. No wonder they need a D, badly.

I read on the main board NSH has given PHI a note that they want Couturier and Schenn or they'll match. Nice counter by Poile if true.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:23 PM
EveryDay
Habs Prospect

we need to sign that guy!!!!! must be the best player in the world!!! see cap hit...

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...1&fa_type_id=1

Old
07-19-2012, 04:27 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
we need to sign that guy!!!!! must be the best player in the world!!! see cap hit...

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...1&fa_type_id=1
Almost 18M in cap hit? Gomez's contract is a bargain!

Old
07-19-2012, 04:28 PM
NLHabsFan

I'm surprised so many people are pissed about the offer sheet. They are a legal move and I would like to see them used more often. Makes the offseason more interesting. Would suck if it was like the NBA and if a team don't match they get no compensation.

But I don't like the bullying move of a big market team using the cash bonuses that a small market team can't match due to financial constraints. I guess they're feeling it sucks keeping the others a float and decided to flex their muscle.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:29 PM
EveryDay
Habs Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Almost 18M in cap hit? Gomez's contract is a bargain!

Who want's some Gomez????

Old
07-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Lemons

Honestly, i would love to sign Semin. No matter how you look at it, Hes a point producer. Put him on plekanecs wing and i really feel like we'd have a chance at the playoffs with Patch-DD-Cole and Semin-Plek-Gio. With the addition of decent bottom 6 guys. I think we'd be good no ?

Old
07-19-2012, 04:39 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I'm surprised so many people are pissed about the offer sheet. They are a legal move and I would like to see them used more often. Makes the offseason more interesting. Would suck if it was like the NBA and if a team don't match they get no compensation.

But I don't like the bullying move of a big market team using the cash bonuses that a small market team can't match due to financial constraints. I guess they're feeling it sucks keeping the others a float and decided to flex their muscle.
Oh, Nashville can definitely match. They need to reach the cap floor anyway. To be honest, what makes me mad is all of these teams offering obscene contracts like this one. If the owners vote for a lock out I'm going to be really pissed off.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Can we trade with Nashville to take that contract?

Old
07-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Galchenyuk94

If Poile doesn't match, am I the only one drooling on Nashvilles 2nd rounder this year? CGY is also going nowhere fast, we could be looking at 4 picks in the top 40.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:49 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1347
Only after 1 year

Old
07-19-2012, 04:53 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
The Flyers are not attempting to make any friends around the league with this outrageous offer sheet. It will come back to bite them, just wait and see.
Burke must be steaming at Holmgren right now !! We all know what Burkie thinks about offer sheets.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:56 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Oh, Nashville can definitely match. They need to reach the cap floor anyway. To be honest, what makes me mad is all of these teams offering obscene contracts like this one. If the owners vote for a lock out I'm going to be really pissed off.
The length of the contract doesn't bother me, so limiting the length is not something I think the new CBA needs t focus on. What they need to get rid of is the stupid rule of averaging the contract to get the lower cap hit. It should be changed to whatever the salary for that year is, is what the cap hit for that year is. That would take away the frontloading of contracts and the obscene lengths. Also, it would be a ***** for those teams next year with cap hits of 12 and 14 million on certain players.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:59 PM
shamrun

Quote:
The length of the contract doesn't bother me, so limiting the length is not something I think the new CBA needs t focus on. What they need to get rid of is the stupid rule of averaging the contract to get the lower cap hit. It should be changed to whatever the salary for that year is, is what the cap hit for that year is. That would take away the frontloading of contracts and the obscene lengths. Also, it would be a ***** for those teams next year with cap hits of 12 and 14 million on certain players.

They would grandfather those in until they are all expired i believe. I like your idea though.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:04 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
They would grandfather those in until they are all expired i believe. I like your idea though.
Ya, I'd say. The Rangers and Flyers (two teams that would suffer from this new stucture) would fight for that as they have considerable pull in the NHL.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:19 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
I sorta agree. I'd like them to have it so that your cap hit is perhaps the average of the five next seasons (counting the current one). That way, if you want to give a guy a 10 year deal worth 80, but it averages out to being say
Then the cap hit would be a whopping 13.2 million for the first year, which is something few teams would want to give, decreasing every year until the the 6th year (and every following year), the cap hit would be 2.8, which is super easy to manage. The upside is that this makes it harder to have front loaded contracts, but still makes it possible for teams to pay players big money at their peak, with a dwindling cap hit to more or less match their decline in production which comes with age. This also makes sure players don't end up in the minors like Wade Redden, or Gomez (I hope he doesn't, but his hit is pretty steep), which is something attractive for the player's association.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Flyers are desperate.

Their goaltending is still crap. They lost Pronger, Jagr and Carle and did not gain anything of significance.

Desperate contract move.
I don't think they care about losing Jagr and Carle. And Holmgren knew his D core was in the trouble after the last series.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
And pay $28 millions bucks to do that?
That's what people don't get, Nashville cannot afford that first year period. Might as well let him go, get the picks and arrange a deal with the Flyers to get a few players for the picks.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That's what people don't get, Nashville cannot afford that first year period. Might as well let him go, get the picks and arrange a deal with the Flyers to get a few players for the picks.
Don't they still have players to re-sign?
Sergei and Wilson.. and Sergei should warrent at least 4m

Old
07-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Viggo Mortensen

Im not sure if I prefer:

-Not having Weber in the East, on a team I hate

or

-A better 2nd rounder + the chance it backfires

Old
07-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
Im not sure if I prefer:

-Not having Weber in the East, on a team I hate

or

-A better 2nd rounder + the chance it backfires
If we are terrible for the next year or two it'll at least be entertaining.. Hopefully by then all their young guns will need to re-sign and **** will get real in Philly.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:49 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
Oh my goodness you are right....add to that calgary....
Could you imagine if we had gotten their first round picks instead of seconds? It wouldn't have even been that crazy. Calgary probably wanted Cammy bad and Nashville had Weber, Suter, Radulov and Akost at the time. They thought they were king ****!

Both could easily be top 10 in one of the deepest drafts in years. If Calgary trades either of Kipper/Iginla they are picking top 10.

Ohwell Timmins is better with 2nds anyways.

Closed Thread