HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, 110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 06:20 PM
CarlRacki

vCash: 500
Maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time), but why would Holmgren give up roster players instead of just allowing Nashville to have the four probably late first-round picks?
Those picks are less valuable to the Flyers than a combination of young talent/picks, especially if they want to win a Cup NOW ... and I tend to think they do.

If the concern is Nashville matching the offer unless Holmgren sweetens the deal, I'd call their bluff. Jake Voracek and Luke Schenn (or Brayden Schenn, for that matter) aren't likely the difference in whether Nashville matches or not. It's likely to be almost an entirely financial decision ... can a team that reportedly lost $7.5 million in 2011 afford to pay a single player $27 million over the next 12 months, and $110 million overall (when the franchise is valued at $163 million)?
Either Nashville can afford him or not. They're not going to bankrupt themselves because they don't feel their getting enough back in return.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the upside of giving up talented young players if you can give up the picks instead.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:22 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
I hope this wasn't a serious idea, but that is a funny image to picture.
it was after 7pm when i wrote that, my brain is already in na na land.

it has a mind of its own after work, beer, and the X

Old
07-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Icedog2735

I keep going back and forth on which way it will go. The karma of being a Flyers fan says either Nashville will match, or they won't match but then we trade away Couturier or B. Schenn to Nashville as "compensation".

Old
07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Sam @ Inq.: "Nashville is backpeddling a little bit if you read the comments. Poile is hedging a little bit. Odds: 50/50 right now. It is such a (big) decision. 50/50 to me is very impressive. I was told by a Flyers' executive that it was highly unlikely they would make such an offer for Weber (at the end of the season)."

"I talk to (one of the agents) of Weber and he said 'Shea wants to play with a legitimate team to win the Stanley Cup.' He (Weber) was stunned that Suter didn't end up back with Nashville. I would say right now that the Flyers come a lot closer with Weber. I think Jake Voracek is a guy they must sign. Around $3 million per year which sounds like chump change by comparison. Getting 4 picks for Weber is not going to cut it (from Nashville's perspective). The Flyers will get cap relief if Pronger going on LTIR. Holmgren two weeks ago said Pronger is having good days and bad days (which was better than the last update) but you don't sign Weber if you think Pronger is coming back. It is a sad day if Pronger (career ends)."

Typing this as he speaks.

ok all, after reading this what is everyone's new prespective.

also what is our back up plan if NSH matches.

i know we keep our 4 1st rd picks,

can we use that to get ryan.

also if we do loose out on weber, with a RH shot needed, i know we dont want kubina but do we atleast bring him back in the picture.

or if not kubina and weber, Minnesota has like 4 RH on there team.

I know it hasn't been discussed but maybe we can get one form them for a cheap price.

my hole thing in this is making sure we have a few RH shots.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:27 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
I keep going back and forth on which way it will go. The karma of being a Flyers fan says either Nashville will match, or they won't match but then we trade away Couturier or B. Schenn to Nashville as "compensation".
the compenstation is the picks,

if players were involved it would have been announced.

or can they change the terms, but the current deal in front of NSH with all signatures but NSH's says they are getting 4 1st picks only.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:28 PM
GTopCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
the compenstation is the picks,

if players were involved it would have been announced.

or can they change the terms, but the current deal in front of NSH with all signatures but NSH's says they are getting 4 1st picks only.
The picks or whatever they agree on.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:30 PM
FlyersCup08

Has anyone heard the rumor that Poile might work out a deal saying they won't match, and then trade 2 of the 1sts we give up for Couturier.

Essentially would be 2 1sts+Couts for Weber...

It would suck, but if it was that or not have Weber, I'd rather have Weber.

EDIT: Just saw this mentioned...

Old
07-19-2012, 06:32 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Has anyone heard the rumor that Poile might work out a deal saying they won't match, and then trade 2 of the 1sts we give up for Couturier.

I would rather not. I think Couturier is going to be a special player just like Weber is now.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:32 PM
healthyscratch

Screw any trade of players to Nashville. Homer tried working out a deal all day yesterday and Poile couldn't agree. So take your 4 picks or bury yourself in financial hell. If Coots or Schenn were being dealt, the trade wouldve happened yesterday. I'd rather not had weber than lose Coots or Schenn, 4 picks or nothing.

And I think it helps us that the Nasville ownership is comprised of 6-8 people, who I'm assuming must have a majority vote to match. That's a lot harder than having one owner say just do it.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:

if that happens that would suck losing cout,

but we would still have 2 1st picks and that with voracheck and whatever else we have from the phantoms,

they could make a play for ryan.

not sure if that still good, and im not to thrilled about losing voracheck, but i would make that deal.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

If they don't match how the hell do they have room for Voracek and bourdon, scratch that bourdon will probably be moved

Old
07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Screw any trade of players to Nashville. Homer tried working out a deal all day yesterday and Poile couldn't agree. So take your 4 picks or bury yourself in financial hell. If Coots or Schenn were being dealt, the trade wouldve happened yesterday. I'd rather not had weber than lose Coots or Schenn, 4 picks or nothing.
That's a good point. This is going to be the longest 7 days! I keep going back and forth with what I think is going to happen.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:37 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
I would rather deal Voracek and Mez as compensation in return for 2 of those picks.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:37 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

guys can we agree on one thing.

NSH won't make there choice until this time next WED right.

so this is going to be playing bonkerrs on my mind.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:

EDIT: Just saw this mentioned...
Homer does not have to accept that trade. essentially it was be a completely different deal for us to re-acquire our picks

Old
07-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I don't understand why Couturier and Schenn or any players besides the future 4 picks are even being discussed. Either Nashville matches and they can't trade him for at least one year, or they don't and he is a Flyer. Maybe I'm just confused as to why we should feel bad for a team that has had quite a bit of time to address the Suter and Weber deals and allowed it to get to this point. I want a cup, not to help Nashville or any team in the NHL rebuild quicker.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:40 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
And I think it helps us that the Nasville ownership is comprised of 6-8 people, who I'm assuming must have a majority vote to match. That's a lot harder than having one owner say just do it.
This is a very interesting point.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Pronger is only going to come back for some distant future alumni game. Bourdon's brain is still broken

Old
07-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
I don't understand why Couturier and Schenn or any players besides the future 4 picks are even being discussed. Either Nashville matches and they can't trade him for at least one year, or they don't and he is a Flyer. Maybe I'm just confused as to why we should feel bad for a team that has had quite a bit of time to address the Suter and Weber deals and allowed it to get to this point. I want a cup, not to help Nashville or any team in the NHL rebuild quicker.
I'm going on the assumption that players going to Nashville would be discussed by Poile and Homer as incentive for Nashville to not match.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:44 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I think if Nash was going to sign Weber long term it would already have been done. I think they know he doesn't want to play for them anymore and they are just deciding if they should take the 4 first and move on or match, pay him all that money for the first year and see if they can get a better return next season.

I think he will end up being a Flyer for the 4 firsts and Nashville will likely have a top 10 or 15 pick for a couple years along with our picks to help them move up in the drafts or add some more players to help rebuild

Old
07-19-2012, 06:45 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Holmgren is an idiot.

14 million for the 1st 4 years? That is extravagant. The problem with these types of contracts is hat they engender more of them. Then you start to get players who, after they get their money for the 1st 4 years, they see more money being given to other players and decide their remaining years are not paying them enough, so they hold out for new contracts or demand to be traded. This is the crap we are seeing in the NFL and it will hit the NHL soon. These idiot front loaded contracts where players get severely bloated amounts hurts the entire league and drives up player salaries to brutal degrees. What happens next? Bettman and the Player's Union fight about costs and this becomes a focal point that can lead to another lost year of hockey.

I hate these types of deals, and hope that Bettman finds a way to get a provision in the upcoming CBA that does not allow for such stupid contracts. Keep in mind, I say this as a Habs fan whose team has the money to do this type of stupidity but has chosen not to, so far.
Respectfully, look where that has got the Canadiens ?

Old
07-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
as much as i like couturier you dont allow him to prevent you from getting weber.

If he has to go so be it. But Nashville will not take 4 late firsts for weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Stizzle

Holmer isn't moving Couts. It seems like the Preds asked for Couts or Brayden Schenn yesterday. Holmer said 'no way', so he was forced to go the offer sheet route. If the Preds want to save face and decline to match, then trade us 2 of our picks back, the two kids won't be involved. I think most people have it right. The deal will most definitely center around Mesz + Jake.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:48 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
as much as i like couturier you dont allow him to prevent you from getting weber.

If he has to go so be it. But Nashville will not take 4 late firsts for weber.
It's not up to them to say. It's up to them to say whether or not they can afford him, but if they can't then they'll either take 4 1sts or the equivalent of 4 1sts that they and the Flyers can agree on. It's not like they can not match and demand something else.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I think if Nash was going to sign Weber long term it would already have been done.
See my post above. It's an ownership group which are spread out all over, including Western Canda. Its not a Homer/Snider setup. Poile has to get together with all the owners and go over the financials, it's out of his hands now and must be decided by that group whether or not they pony up.

Closed Thread