HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Poile

View Poll Results: Will Poile be fired before the season starts?
Yes 13 15.29%
No 72 84.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-19-2012, 06:24 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

vCash: 500
Coming from a Lightning/Redwings fan in peace. Sucks the position you are put in for Weber, but remember Giroux is RFA soon. Are boards are losing hope with Holland like you all are with Poile. Great Gms who have put together some good teams.

TheGreatOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:31 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Should never of gotten to this position in the first place.. His passive way of doing things has totally ****ed us over, he needs to go

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
NoNecksCurse

yeah.... ill jump on. fire poile.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Us preds fans have been through so much since day one of this franchise.. it's terribly sad and messed up to see this happening to us, we don't deserve it

Old
07-19-2012, 06:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Will he be .... no. Should he be ... impossible to accurately assess without a lot of information that isn't in the public domain.

It's just like the situation with Bettman .... what we perceive or deduce doesn't mean a thing if he's acting in accordance with his boss's guidelines and maximizing the resources allocated. There is such a rush to blame, but so little fact to base a decision upon. If a player gets signed, there's backlash here. If one leaves, there's backlash. If we don't offer $68,000,000 in signing bonuses, backlash. And yet nobody knows for sure what was offered, what was said between the parties, what guidance or limitations ownership put on Poile ... just that there must be blame on the internet. Ignorance is rarely a good starting point for decision making.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:52 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Shouldn't we see how the Weber situation plays out first? This thread is 7 days premature.
I'm so sick of the "wait to see how Poile's master plan pans out" talk. Waiting to see how this pans out has meant two of our best players ever signing with other teams in a matter of about 2 weeks. Poile has stumbled all over himself with yet another high valued commodity, the guy sucks.

Weber's agent said that there was never a meeting between all three players and their agents in an attempt to keep this thing together. That's inexcusable and idiotic given how long this has been coming.

I imagine Poile's biggest focus over the last two weeks is him and his son pulling youtube clips for the tributes for both Suter and Weber.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-20-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: don't make generalizations like that
gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:54 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I'm so sick of the "wait to see how Poile's master plan pans out" talk. Waiting to see how this pans out has meant two of our best players ever signing with other teams in a matter of about 2 weeks. Poile has stumbled all over himself with yet another high valued commodity, the guy sucks.

Weber's agent said that there was never a meeting between all three players and their agents in an attempt to keep this thing together. That's inexcusable and idiotic given how long this has been coming.

I imagine Poile's biggest focus over the last two weeks is him and his son pulling youtube clips for the tributes for both Suter and Weber.
Amen.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-20-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So Poile is free of all blame for anything. Gotcha.
No, of course not. He's to blame for absolutely everything, up to and including the blueline departures, Rads and AK being suspended, the bow-out in the playoffs, Trotz still being here, Legwand not being a superstar, the recession, global warming, and the Mayan end-of-world rollover.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Big-time bungling by DP, you look at the Suter situation first, how was he seemingly the last guy on earth to understand that Suter was gone? I honestly believe Suter wanted to stay but I believe with even greater certainty that Nashville could not make a legitimately competitive offer. Certainly by the time July 1 was approaching it was clear he was going to explore free agency and any toddler could have told you about the pile of money he'd discover. Yet DP's statements made it sound like the Preds were in the mix until the last second.

Now, they find themselves in the messiest of situations with the prospect of being under-compensated for their greatest asset and being way below the cap floor. He had to head this off at the pass and he did not. If he understood the real economics of the league, he would have had Weber extended already and he would have had a contingency plan in place.

I read earlier than he knew this offer from the Flyers was coming, why not at least stall if not productively investigate a trade where he could receive some contracts and also get a legitimate cornerstone piece?

It is a shame because he is a class GM, a good interview and a guy who believes in doing things the right way. He's had plenty of success against adversity. But this was the moment of truth, both Suter and Weber up with a chance to at least mitigate the disaster his team faced. Instead, he will probably wind up with four late firsts to replace two No. 1 defensemen. Not ideal return to say the least.

07-19-2012, 07:05 PM
RaiderDoug

The rap on Poile has been, since his days in Washington, is that he can build a team, but he can't get them over the hump.

I think that's pretty much what we're seeing here. He's built two great teams, and they've fallen apart (for one reason or another) without doing anything significant.

Alot will depend on what Weber does.

If we match, then we're going to roll with the best goalie in the world and the best Dman in the world and his job will be plugging holes around them.

If we don't, then it might be time to take all those draft picks and let someone else give it a shot.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

No plan nor execution is perfect, but this organization gets it right more often than not. It's easy to rant about how "idiotic" somebody else is when you've never done their job nor do you have any information as to what did actually occur in the negotiations with the players or in the guidance from those controlling the checkbook. What meetings did or did not actually occur? Do you know, or are you just parroting part of what one party says because you think it bolsters the Poile "sucks" position?

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-20-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: quote
101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:13 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Will he be .... no. Should he be ... impossible to accurately assess without a lot of information that isn't in the public domain.

It's just like the situation with Bettman .... what we perceive or deduce doesn't mean a thing if he's acting in accordance with his boss's guidelines and maximizing the resources allocated. There is such a rush to blame, but so little fact to base a decision upon. If a player gets signed, there's backlash here. If one leaves, there's backlash. If we don't offer $68,000,000 in signing bonuses, backlash. And yet nobody knows for sure what was offered, what was said between the parties, what guidance or limitations ownership put on Poile ... just that there must be blame on the internet. Ignorance is rarely a good starting point for decision making.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollner View Post
There was nothing Poile could do. To think that Weber was still going to be a Pred at this time next year was/is delusional. I wrote a post a while back saying this is exactly what would happen. My point then was that Nashville simply does not have the financing available to them to match such a deal. They were presently trying to secure another $25 million, and we're having a hard times doing that, now they would need $50+ million. It's just not going to happen. Poile was bluffing and hoped no one would call him on it. Holmgren did, so goodbye Shea. The smart thing to do would have been to trade him, but of course you would not get market value in that situation, and he would have been grilled even more so for that.
Right on!!!

Poile did what was necessary on his part within limits set by ownership.

If guys don't want to be here then they don't want to be here. Plain and simple. The only reason that could change their opinion ( which is money) we do not possess.

Last edited by tserberis*: 07-19-2012 at 07:18 PM.
tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:16 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Please explain Burke to me. Lombardi is still considered to have negative value, and Franson was the #7D in Toronto.

Will he be fired? Not a chance. Should he be...I would consider it.
Franson may be the "#7D in Toronto" but at a minimum he's a young big body, with a good shot and asset on the PP, and a personal, long time friend of Weber who could at least be one more reason for Weber to not want and sign a massive offer sheet.

We traded him away for nothing.

I'll take it you agree that the Holmgren and Reiger, and Fletcher are all playing in a different league than Poile.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:21 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Franson may be the "#7D in Toronto" but at a minimum he's a young big body, with a good shot and asset on the PP, and a personal, long time friend of Weber who could at least be one more reason for Weber to not want and sign a massive offer sheet.

We traded him away for nothing.

I'll take it you agree that the Holmgren and Reiger, and Fletcher are all playing in a different league than Poile.
They playing high stakes, Poile is just a firehouse basement...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
wadesworld

Don't you guys think it possible despite some fair or more than fair offers, both Suter and Weber refused to sign, on the advice of their agents, because they and their agents knew that if they just kept telling Nashville "no," eventually they'd be in the driver's seat?

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Don't you guys think it possible despite some fair or more than fair offers, both Suter and Weber refused to sign, on the advice of their agents, because they and their agents knew that if they just kept telling Nashville "no," eventually they'd be in the driver's seat?
Probably, in which case Poile failed to realize this and naively held on to misguided hope for too long when he could have dealt them for some kind of decent value prior to losing them for peanuts.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:22 PM
WantonAbandon

I think some of you may be blaming Poile about the wrong thing. Nashville would have loved to follow the history of the Sharks.

Doug Wilson was able to keep the Sharks competitive by convincing his core to stay in San Jose and accept reasonable contracts that fit in his tight salary structure. If he wasn't able to do this San Jose would have experienced the same sad song long ago. This has limited his abilities to attract FAs however.

Poile on the other hand failed to do this. I'm sure he would have loved for Suter and Weber to have accepted the same contract that Rinne did. But they didn't. There are several other key pieces in the past that just upped and left Nashville: Hamhuis, Hartnell, Timoen, and ect. The question is: Is this really Poile's fault? A good argument could be had regarding this.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:44 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't blame him for Hamhuis, Hartnell or Timonen, completely anyway.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:59 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

I'd match and then negotiate and trade with NYR, BOS, Pitt, Toronto, or another of Philly's competitors. Thats where the best value is because they would not only have an interest in having Weber on their team but also wouldn't want Philly to have weber for the next 14 years.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:05 PM
bostonphoenix

at the deadline did you guys say you wanted suter traded? there wasnt much chance hed be back.

poilles hands are tied more often than not.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:38 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Also if it is true Poile refused to give Weber a 3 year deal at 7m a year last year then Poile is not the man we need going forward.
that is not true. the best ofer we made was a deal that was longer than 6 years and had an average of 7.5 million. It was a progressive deal where there was no huge signing bonus, as it had not become the players fad. But it was structured some years to pay as high as 9 and some years real dollars at 5 as the low.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:41 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Regier, Burke, Weber, Suter, and now Holmgren.

The list is getting plenty long of people who have PWNED our GM in the last 12 months.

We need someone with balls, not someone who is going to cry to the media, "he told me he was going to sign, wha wha".
I think the GMs you list didn't own Poile, or whatever emo **** pwned is. We picked up one of the best faceoff guys in the league and a great pk guy in gaustad and signed him to an extension. In the end, maybe buffalo wins that deal, but right now, the advantage of it goes to the preds, since, you know they went to the playoffs and won some games while buffalo played golf. And the Burke deal wasn't bad. unload lombardi and franson for a pick. whoopty do. such a small deal in the grand scheme of things isn't it?

Suter, I will give you. He said all the things Poile wanted to hear and then left.

as far as Weber and PH, let it play out

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
that is not true. the best ofer we made was a deal that was longer than 6 years and had an average of 7.5 million. It was a progressive deal where there was no huge signing bonus, as it had not become the players fad. But it was structured some years to pay as high as 9 and some years real dollars at 5 as the low.
How do you know that is not true? Do you have a source? Because that is what Dreger said yesterday.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddacey View Post
at the deadline did you guys say you wanted suter traded? there wasnt much chance hed be back.

poilles hands are tied more often than not.
Yes I said for months Suter needed to be traded because he wasn't resigning here and we were not any better than the previous year where we got bounces in round 2. I was right on both.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:17 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If they choose not to resign Weber but instead sign some other guys like Semin and Doan and address the defense with guys like Kubina, Rozsival and/or Colaiacovo. Then that would go a long way to show, even though Philly handcuffed us and we’ve had to rebuild we’re still solid going forward.

With Trotz system and the youngsters we have we can plug in pieces and continue forward but we have to make a splash in the FA market to do so.

Losing Suter and Weber with no major signings isn’t an options.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote