HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why Not Offer Sheet Stamkos Last Year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2012, 12:34 AM
  #1
rangers5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Why Not Offer Sheet Stamkos Last Year?

i know its "looked down upon"

but this kid is coming into his prime, a true elite player than can score 50-60 goals for the next 10-15 years

why didn't we or any other team atleast offer sheet him to a huge contract, north of 100 million over 15 years

for a kid like him it would for worth the risk, giving up 4 1st for a franchise player like him would not be a problem

was it the yzerman effect, he is respected within the league and all the top players and others, is this why teams stayed away

looking at what just happened to weber its crazy nobody did the same to stamkos last year

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:48 AM
  #2
Mrpuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
i know its "looked down upon"

but this kid is coming into his prime, a true elite player than can score 50-60 goals for the next 10-15 years

why didn't we or any other team atleast offer sheet him to a huge contract, north of 100 million over 15 years

for a kid like him it would for worth the risk, giving up 4 1st for a franchise player like him would not be a problem

was it the yzerman effect, he is respected within the league and all the top players and others, is this why teams stayed away

looking at what just happened to weber its crazy nobody did the same to stamkos last year
You know the player has to actually sign it right? There may have been multiple teams that tried to get Stamkos to sign, but he ultimately may have wanted to stay in Tampa and work out a deal.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:48 AM
  #3
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,635
vCash: 500
Regardless of whether it's looked down upon...Sather doesn't believe in it. So he's not going to do it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
  #4
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Because when McDonagh, Stepan, and MDZ are RFA's you'll know why we didn't offer sheet Stamkos. When the offer McD a ridiculous contract that we can't match them we lose him.

No offer sheets. It's too big of a risk with a bunch of impending RFA's that are integral parts of this team.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:18 AM
  #5
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Because when McDonagh, Stepan, and MDZ are RFA's you'll know why we didn't offer sheet Stamkos. When the offer McD a ridiculous contract that we can't match them we lose him.

No offer sheets. It's too big of a risk with a bunch of impending RFA's that are integral parts of this team.
Which makes Girouxs upcoming contract all that more intriguing. Would love to see a rediculous contract offer made to him, since hes actually worth it.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:26 AM
  #6
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Because when McDonagh, Stepan, and MDZ are RFA's you'll know why we didn't offer sheet Stamkos. When the offer McD a ridiculous contract that we can't match them we lose him.

No offer sheets. It's too big of a risk with a bunch of impending RFA's that are integral parts of this team.
Yea pretty much this. Although Nashville didn't exactly incite the Weber offer (heck they have made numerous trades with Philly). Nor did Buffalo prompt the Vanek sheet.

So there are no guarantees that not doing it really gets you anything...

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:29 AM
  #7
bogans
Registered User
 
bogans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
Which makes Girouxs upcoming contract all that more intriguing. Would love to see a rediculous contract offer made to him, since hes actually worth it.
You never know, Holmgren sure has offer sheeted a number of great players from other teams, I would not be surprised by somebody giving him a shot in the ribs, maybe Vancouver??

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
  #8
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,424
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Regardless of whether it's looked down upon...Sather doesn't believe in it. So he's not going to do it.
I'm not arguing that he should have tried signing him, but didn't Sather not believe in front-loaded contracts?

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:44 PM
  #9
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 50
I sincerely hope Philly gets all their RFA's poached because of the **** they're trying to pull with Weber. I think it's great that Sather has changed so much and now values picks so much.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:55 PM
  #10
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
Which makes Girouxs upcoming contract all that more intriguing. Would love to see a rediculous contract offer made to him, since hes actually worth it.

Maybe making Howson do this can be part of the Nash trade. Keep our hands clean.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
  #11
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,154
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Yea pretty much this. Although Nashville didn't exactly incite the Weber offer (heck they have made numerous trades with Philly). Nor did Buffalo prompt the Vanek sheet.

So there are no guarantees that not doing it really gets you anything...
Would not be surprised if NSH/PHI basically agreed on this cause they couldnt work out a trade elsewhere.

They have made too many deals with each other. Philly wouldn't screw them like that without some type of understanding in place.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:16 PM
  #12
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Because when McDonagh, Stepan, and MDZ are RFA's you'll know why we didn't offer sheet Stamkos. When the offer McD a ridiculous contract that we can't match them we lose him.

No offer sheets. It's too big of a risk with a bunch of impending RFA's that are integral parts of this team.
Nah, makes no sense. If a team wants to offersheet our guy they are going to offersheet our guy. Can't really manage a team successfully by holding grudges against fellow teams and refusing to do business with them or just coming after them every chance you get. That's just going to cause you to make mistakes. Just need to do whatever you can to improve your own team.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:41 PM
  #13
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Typically teams don't get "revenge" by responding with offer sheets.

However, where I have seen it come into play is trades. You tick off a fellow GM and your trade costs do tend to go up.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:32 PM
  #14
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
Nah, makes no sense. If a team wants to offersheet our guy they are going to offersheet our guy. Can't really manage a team successfully by holding grudges against fellow teams and refusing to do business with them or just coming after them every chance you get. That's just going to cause you to make mistakes. Just need to do whatever you can to improve your own team.
And getting someone from our young core is both revenge and helping their team.

Think about it, we offer Weber 7.5 mill a year, and even if we deal Dubinsky were still cutting it close (not withstanding with what happens with the cap).

You offer McDonagh a nice 5.5-6 mill offer sheet and were screwed. Any team could offer sheet our players and we wouldn't have the means to match it.

You're putting your team in a position to be susceptible to offer sheeting one of your core players.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:04 PM
  #15
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
And getting someone from our young core is both revenge and helping their team.

Think about it, we offer Weber 7.5 mill a year, and even if we deal Dubinsky were still cutting it close (not withstanding with what happens with the cap).

You offer McDonagh a nice 5.5-6 mill offer sheet and were screwed. Any team could offer sheet our players and we wouldn't have the means to match it.

You're putting your team in a position to be susceptible to offer sheeting one of your core players.
They can offer sheet McDonagh regardless of whether or not we offer sheet one of their guys. It shouldn't have any affect on it. And in the very small sample of people who have been given offer sheets those teams didn't start giving out offer sheets to all RFA on the team that tried to sign the player.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:29 PM
  #16
pavelich
Registered User
 
pavelich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Because when McDonagh, Stepan, and MDZ are RFA's you'll know why we didn't offer sheet Stamkos. When the offer McD a ridiculous contract that we can't match them we lose him.

No offer sheets. It's too big of a risk with a bunch of impending RFA's that are integral parts of this team.
I'd trade Stepan and either of the other two for Stamkos. Get it done Slats!

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:36 PM
  #17
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Because this is the real world. All of the GMs know each other well, this isn't some fantasy league where it's a simple calculation "well gee, this player is worth XX + X picks, let's send an offer sheet".

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:16 PM
  #18
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,410
vCash: 500
Weber could've signed an offer sheet with the Rangers and he chose not to.

I think, personally, it's because last offseason, the Rangers were still considered rebuilding. At least in the manner in which Sather's been going about this. This offseason they are not. You don't give up 4 first rounders when you're rebuilding.

In addition, after they signed Richards, did the team even have the Cap space to offer sheet Stamkos? Keep in mind that the Rangers don't have a summer cushion to work with because of Redden's contract.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:20 PM
  #19
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
They can offer sheet McDonagh regardless of whether or not we offer sheet one of their guys. It shouldn't have any affect on it. And in the very small sample of people who have been given offer sheets those teams didn't start giving out offer sheets to all RFA on the team that tried to sign the player.
That's not what I'm saying. Yes NSH has the potential to do a revenge offer sheet, but I'm saying taking on that much salary with being able to clear some of it off (via trade) leaves us vulnerable to the 29 teams in the league that can afford to hand out an offer sheet should they choose so.

A team with a lot of cap room could easily offer McDonagh or Stepn 5+ mill a year and unless we clear major cap space in a week then we can't afford to match it.

It's not about revenge, it's about being put in a bad situation where we can have one of our young players be offer-sheeted and we very realistically can't match it.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
  #20
RUSF18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
It's been raised before, so I'm not breaking ground here but I haven't really heard a good explanation: how is this "understanding" not considered collusion by the teams against the players?

RUSF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
  #21
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,154
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Weber could've signed an offer sheet with the Rangers and he chose not to.

I think, personally, it's because last offseason, the Rangers were still considered rebuilding. At least in the manner in which Sather's been going about this. This offseason they are not. You don't give up 4 first rounders when you're rebuilding.

In addition, after they signed Richards, did the team even have the Cap space to offer sheet Stamkos? Keep in mind that the Rangers don't have a summer cushion to work with because of Redden's contract.
Wut? What have you seen that even slightly suggests we offered one?

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:44 PM
  #22
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Wut? What have you seen that even slightly suggests we offered one?
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...oZB7MnP1B6NLfO

Quote:
Sources report that the Blueshirts were prepared to either extend an offer sheet to Weber or effect a trade with the Predators for the 26-year-old’s rights in advance of signing him to a lifetime contract, but that their efforts failed because of Weber’s aversion to living in Manhattan
Not an official offer, but might as well have been.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:58 PM
  #23
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,154
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...oZB7MnP1B6NLfO



Not an official offer, but might as well have been.
Well I'll be.

Fair enough.. Brooks too, but I'm very shocked by that.. really didn't think Sather would do it

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
  #24
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Well I'll be.

Fair enough.. Brooks too, but I'm very shocked by that.. really didn't think Sather would do it
That quote does kinda make it sound like Sather would have preferred to trade for him, rather than sign him to an offer sheet, though.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:22 PM
  #25
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Because when McDonagh, Stepan, and MDZ are RFA's you'll know why we didn't offer sheet Stamkos. When the offer McD a ridiculous contract that we can't match them we lose him.

No offer sheets. It's too big of a risk with a bunch of impending RFA's that are integral parts of this team.
Couldn't have said it any better. 100% agree and this is why you're better off not doing offer sheets to other teams' RFAs.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.