HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, 110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
It's not up to them to say. It's up to them to say whether or not they can afford him, but if they can't then they'll either take 4 1sts or the equivalent of 4 1sts that they and the Flyers can agree on. It's not like they can not match and demand something else.
Nashville does not want to pay that contract. Everything about it is nice except the front load bonus. But they will if the alternative is getting ***** and humiliated by the flyers.

WE are so close to weber, and its a deal both sides want. Just sweeten the pot a bit and bring him home.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:51 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
as much as i like couturier you dont allow him to prevent you from getting weber.

If he has to go so be it. But Nashville will not take 4 late firsts for weber.
but at the same time, Nashville kind of has to take whatever we give them.

Take Vorcek and Mez, or take the 4 1sts, or match the offer.

The time for complicated trade negotiations and playing one deal against the other is over. Nashville doesn't have any leverage anymore. They talk with us only now and as of this moment Weber has a contract for the Flyers. Take the 4 picks, take 2 picks and Mez/Voracek, or match the offer.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Out of the blue, Shea Weber for 14 years- part of the Flyers' overall plan which is no plan at all. Should Nashville not match, there go a bunch of first round picks and possible salary cap issues. Let's just stumble on from one year to the next, always competing, it seems, but never really contending.
If any team can afford to give up 4 1st round picks i'd say its Philly after the GEMS they got last year....Shenn, Coots, Read, ?......

Old
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Screw any trade of players to Nashville. Homer tried working out a deal all day yesterday and Poile couldn't agree. So take your 4 picks or bury yourself in financial hell. If Coots or Schenn were being dealt, the trade wouldve happened yesterday. I'd rather not had weber than lose Coots or Schenn, 4 picks or nothing.

And I think it helps us that the Nasville ownership is comprised of 6-8 people, who I'm assuming must have a majority vote to match. That's a lot harder than having one owner say just do it.
A trade could still happen, but it would be less than the deals that Holmgren previously offered Nashville. Nashville has less leverage than they did while Holmgren was trying to trade with them for Weber's rights. Nashville believed the Flyers would not give up 4 first round picks in an offer sheet.

Holmgren called Nashville's bluff and said "Here's the offer sheet. Here's your 4 first round picks. Match it and pay Weber $27million within the next calendar year."

So now Nashville has lost a lot of their leverage. Any deals worked out to replace the 4 first round picks will be less value than what Holmgren previously offered IMO.

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Respectfully, look where that has got the Canadiens ?
Ignore him. His argument is nonsensical.

Think realistically. Montreal was once a destination, and likely still is to some degree, but it is not the destination it once was. They have also not developed talent anywhere near to the level of the Philadelphia Flyers, nor has their GM made some gutsy, franchise carrying maneuvers around and throughout the NHLosphere.

If Montreal could attract Weber, had the space to do so, had the assets to blow four 1st round picks, and was a contender enough not to worry about those picks being in the top 10, they would do the exact same thing we just did (or at the very least consider it, since we know not every GM is Holmgren).

Let the haters hate.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:53 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I'm not surprised that I disagree with Darren Dreger's thoughts.

Quote:
By virtue of signing a 14-year, $110 million offer sheet with the Philadelphia Flyers, restricted free agent Shea Weber has made it clear he wants out of Nashville.
I'm sure that Weber understood there was a pretty good chance Nashville would match any offer sheet, so it's not clear at all that Weber wants out of Nashville.

He's trying to get as much money as he can, is all.

07-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Jtown

This is an all or nothing deal.

We either get weber or we dont. Everything about the deal is pointing towards weber going to the flyers except for compensation. If that is the one caveat then sweeten the pot and wrap it up.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I'm sure that Weber understood there was a pretty good chance Nashville would match any offer sheet, so it's not clear at all that Weber wants out of Nashville.
That's the direct opposite of what every credible media source, Weber's own agent, the actions of the Predators' organization, and every cent in that $110m signature are all saying.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:56 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
A trade could still happen, but it would be less than the deals that Holmgren previously offered Nashville. Nashville has less leverage than they did while Holmgren was trying to trade with them for Weber's rights. Nashville believed the Flyers would not give up 4 first round picks in an offer sheet.

Holmgren called Nashville's bluff and said "Here's the offer sheet. Here's your 4 first round picks. Match it and pay Weber $27million within the next calendar year."

So now Nashville has lost a lot of their leverage. Any deals worked out to replace the 4 first round picks will be less value than what Holmgren previously offered IMO.
Absolutley agreed. But in my eyes they have NO leverage. Its take your picks or match, I don't want to lose anyone from the roster. Well Mesz would be ok, but NO FORWARDS!!

Old
BringBackStevens

No point to sweeten the pot. This should be about finances not value. If poile comes back asking for players I would call his bluff

Old
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
but at the same time, Nashville kind of has to take whatever we give them.

Take Vorcek and Mez, or take the 4 1sts, or match the offer.

The time for complicated trade negotiations and playing one deal against the other is over. Nashville doesn't have any leverage anymore. They talk with us only now and as of this moment Weber has a contract for the Flyers. Take the 4 picks, take 2 picks and Mez/Voracek, or match the offer.
maybe they match, take the financial hit and deal next year to a team like pitt who has so many goodies to offer. That is worst case scenario but within the realm of posibilities. The deal that the flyers presented to the preds is so devasting to a team like them it is bound to cause bad blood.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:57 PM
flyershockey

This is one of the few times where actual dollar amounts will be tougher than the cap hit. I'm not sure Nashville will have the cash to field a competitive around Weber, especially in the first 6 years where he receives 68 million. In the end, it's about winning, and Nashville might be better off letting him walk and taking the picks. They're also a spectacular team at getting the most out of any asset, losing Weber would be a PR nightmare, but they would still remain a fairly competitive club.

For the Flyers, it's hard to not get excited, but nothing is set in stone yet. I still feel like the Preds have the upper hand in all of this. They can threaten to match if a trade is not worked out where we would get picks back for roster players. Still though, Weber would be an absolute treat to watch. He would immediately become a top five defensive talent to ever play for this franchise. The Flyers have been a very good team for about the last five years (especially with Pronger), but with a core of Giroux, Weber, Couturier, and stable Bryz, they would be a perennial cup contender for the foreseeable future.

I will comment about how many fans I've seen on other boards make note about how they wish their GM was as ballsy as Homer. He may not be the best GM in league history, but he and ownership puts winning above all else. For that, they deserve some respect today. It's easy to call yourself a Flyers fan when they show that kind of attitude, and more importantly, back it up with their dollars. The Eagles should take notice. It's no secret why Flyers fans are amongst the most loyal in sports.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
If any team can afford to give up 4 1st round picks i'd say its Philly after the GEMS they got last year....Shenn, Coots, Read, ?......
Exactly. How many other big money franchises have the youth/prospects to make it possible to throw this offer out there? Toronto missing 4 years of 1st round picks sets them back a good amount. Same for Montreal. I guess the Rangers might be in position to make this offer if they really wanted to risk it. I don't know about any of the Western teams. Detroit is getting up there in age with some key players, so that idea is possibly not attractive to them, I guess? Vancouver, perhaps?

It's never easy to give up 4 years of first rounders, but barring some worst case scenario where we'd want to use or move those picks I think we can be fine.

07-19-2012, 07:59 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
That's the direct opposite of what every credible media source, Weber's own agent, the actions of the Predators' organization, and every cent in that $110m signature are all saying.
David Poile's comments basically inferred that, if it was up to him, he would have matched immediately.

At the end of the day, it's up to the Preds' ownership, though.

Do you actually believe that Weber would be upset if the Preds matched? If he wanted to leave he'd sign a one year deal and walk away as a UFA next year.

Old
PHILOUDELPHIA

guys can someone answer this,

if NSH says theyre not going to match prior to next WED, do they and flyers have to wait the full 7 days or can the deal be completed say tomorrow or this weekend.

We all know this probably will go to the last day, but i just wanted to know should a decision be reached is the full 7 day wait required.

Old
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
No point to sweeten the pot. This should be about finances not value. If poile comes back asking for players I would call his bluff
I understand taht point, since we are in a strong position. But IMagine how devastaing it will be if we dont get him and compensation is the reason. The contract is already extremly devastaing to them , now webers agent saying he wants to play for a contender , the last fixture is compensation. Lets just up it and move on with our lives.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
as much as i like couturier you dont allow him to prevent you from getting weber.

If he has to go so be it. But Nashville will not take 4 late firsts for weber.
It would be Couturier for 2 late firsts, I would say no to that.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
BringBackStevens

To me, if poile comes back looking for players instead of just matching, that's a dead give away that he's bluffing.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:03 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
David Poile's comments basically inferred that, if it was up to him, he would have matched immediately.
Damn right he would. He was the GM in Washington when RFA Scott Stevens left for New Jersey. Poor guy suffering DÉJÀ VU.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
To me, if poile comes back looking for players instead of just matching, that's a dead give away that he's bluffing.
its not about bluffing at this point. Weber doesnt want to be there and the preds dont really want to pay that type of money. We know we have them in a bad spot. Cant we just sweeten the pot for them and be done with this. 4 late firsts is such bad compensation that it may get them to match just to save face then deal him later.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Hey pump the brakes here for a minute

We don't have to sweeten **** in any pot here.... If they don't match, tough titty said the kitty. It'd be nice if we could land our pick back for the 2014 draft but I'm not banking on that.

If NAS was jerking us around when Homer put multiple offers out then ****'em. We can haz Veber!

Old
07-19-2012, 08:06 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
its not about bluffing at this point. Weber doesnt want to be there and the preds dont really want to pay that type of money. We know we have them in a bad spot. Cant we just sweeten the pot for them and be done with this. 4 late firsts is such bad compensation that it may get them to match just to save face then deal him later.
If they decide to not match they will try and squeeze out what they can.

I would risk losing Weber if it came to it.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Hey pump the brakes here for a minute

We don't have to sweeten **** in any pot here.... If they don't match, tough titty said the kitty. It'd be nice if we could land our pick back for the 2014 draft but I'm not banking on that.

If NAS was jerking us around when Homer put multiple offers out then ****'em. We can haz Veber!
what im saying is ...what if the diffrence between matching or not is weather or not we sweeten the pot or not

Old
07-19-2012, 08:08 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
what im saying is ...what if the diffrence between matching or not is weather or not we sweeten the pot or not
Ah I gotcha - then I'm not sure Homer does so at all esp on what was said NAS wanted. F that noise.

We are forcing NAS to play their hand - **** or get off the pot

Old
07-19-2012, 08:11 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
And what i'm saying is if ownership says we can't afford it, sweetening the pot becomes irrelevant. At that point they need to walk away no matter what.

Closed Thread