HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, 110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
guys can someone answer this,

if NSH says theyre not going to match prior to next WED, do they and flyers have to wait the full 7 days or can the deal be completed say tomorrow or this weekend.

We all know this probably will go to the last day, but i just wanted to know should a decision be reached is the full 7 day wait required.
The Predators have up until seven days to make a decision, it can be finalized at any point until the period concludes. If no action is taken, Weber becomes Flyers' property. Nashville could notify the agent and other parties tomorrow or the next day, etc.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
maybe they match, take the financial hit and deal next year to a team like pitt who has so many goodies to offer. That is worst case scenario but within the realm of posibilities. The deal that the flyers presented to the preds is so devasting to a team like them it is bound to cause bad blood.
Why would Nashville ownership allow Poile to essentially flush 27 million cash of their money (that they may or may not even have) down the drain by trading Shea Weber a year later? Because Weber demands it? Then why match the offer if you know there is a huge potential problem on the horizon and pay 27 million for a guy who doesn't want to be there? You can get your compensation now, save 27 million cash, and keep on keeping on like they have done. This isn't gonna doom their franchise because Poile is a resilient GM and he will have their team back in the 8 seed within no more than 2 years.

I am sick of reading this fantasy scenario on the main board and now here that bitter Pittsburgh and Canucks fans keep bringing up. Nashville ownership is not gonna piss 27 million away just to get an extra prospect or 2.

This is all monopoly money to everyone else and it is easy for everyone to say match, but this 27 million is real money and has to come from somewhere. Considering Nashville is operating in the negative, their entire gate receipt from last year was 26 million, we are potentially heading into a lockout where money may not be coming in, and Nashville ownership may have to inject equity of 27 million dollars of their own money to pay Weber.

If Nashville matches, they keep him for the duration. End of.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 07-19-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old
07-19-2012, 07:12 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Ah I gotcha - then I'm not sure Homer does so at all esp on what was said NAS wanted. F that noise.

We are forcing NAS to play their hand - **** or get off the pot
bottom line your right,

were forcing nashville's owners call the flyers all in bid for weber,

simple do they want to accept the deal and the financial responsiblity that comes with it.

let me ask you this if NSH does call, can they really improve there team over the next 6 years. I'd have to say NO.

so is 1 player worth all this hell, if im NSH id FOLD.

take the 1st rd picks and re build

the flyers made weber an offer he can't refuse and an offer NSH can't pay.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:14 PM
SgtJoseph

[QUOTE=Chris Shafer;52734159]Ignore him. His argument is nonsensical.

Think realistically. Montreal was once a destination, and likely still is to some degree, but it is not the destination it once was. They have also not developed talent anywhere near to the level of the Philadelphia Flyers, nor has their GM made some gutsy, franchise carrying maneuvers around and throughout the NHLosphere.

If Montreal could attract Weber, had the space to do so, had the assets to blow four 1st round picks, and was a contender enough not to worry about those picks being in the top 10, they would do the exact same thing we just did (or at the very least consider it, since we know not every GM is Holmgren).

Last edited by SgtJoseph: 07-19-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Holmgren is an idiot.

14 million for the 1st 4 years? That is extravagant. The problem with these types of contracts is hat they engender more of them. Then you start to get players who, after they get their money for the 1st 4 years, they see more money being given to other players and decide their remaining years are not paying them enough, so they hold out for new contracts or demand to be traded. This is the crap we are seeing in the NFL and it will hit the NHL soon. These idiot front loaded contracts where players get severely bloated amounts hurts the entire league and drives up player salaries to brutal degrees. What happens next? Bettman and the Player's Union fight about costs and this becomes a focal point that can lead to another lost year of hockey.

I hate these types of deals, and hope that Bettman finds a way to get a provision in the upcoming CBA that does not allow for such stupid contracts. Keep in mind, I say this as a Habs fan whose team has the money to do this type of stupidity but has chosen not to, so far.
The NHL doesn't allow contracts to be restructured. The only way a player can do this is to get a new contract with a new league (re: KHL).

Old
PHILOUDELPHIA

gusy let me ask you this, will poile walk into his boss's office ( the owner) and say it will cost me this, to do this. is it OK with you.

OK you yes if your reading this your the NSH owner what do you tell your GM to do.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:15 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Nothing whatsoever " hateful" about my statement, nor was there anything mean intended etc......Just respectfully making a point about where Montreal is compared to where the Flyers are with Homer as GM ? I have nothing against the Habs nor their fans, same applies to the Leafs for that matter.
Shafer wasn't talking about your comment.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Tripod

Quote:
what im saying is ...what if the diffrence between matching or not is weather or not we sweeten the pot or not
I would play hardball with them and offer Mez for the 2014 1st since the draft is in Philly. I would gve them Lilja if they wanted too

Old
07-19-2012, 07:18 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I would play hardball with them and offer Mez for the 2014 1st since the draft is in Philly. I would gve them Lilja if they wanted too
Maybe throw in Shelley to sweeten the pot.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Nothing whatsoever " hateful" about my statement, nor was there anything mean intended etc......Just respectfully making a point about where Montreal is compared to where the Flyers are with Homer as GM ? I have nothing against the Habs nor their fans, same applies to the Leafs for that matter.
I was commenting about another post, not you. Sorry if there was a mix up.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-19-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: User name
Old
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Maybe throw in Shelley to sweeten the pot.
throw in a 3 year subscription of netflix, sodas, and a box of new briefs everyone on NSH would take that as compensation.

Old
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
what im saying is ...what if the diffrence between matching or not is weather or not we sweeten the pot or not
It depends on what "sweeten the pot" is.

Sean Couturier? or B Schenn? That isn't sweetening the pot, that is 100% pure sugar being poured into the pot.

Sweetening the pot would be doing a side trade of Mez for futures.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
gusy let me ask you this, will poile walk into his boss's office ( the owner) and say it will cost me this, to do this. is it OK with you.

OK you yes if your reading this your the NSH owner what do you tell your GM to do.
match the offer

Old
07-19-2012, 07:22 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Shafer wasn't talking about your comment.
My bad ! Just read it wrong i suppose ! No harm, no foul !

Old
07-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
The Preds don't have the luxury to do that in this situation. They either have the money and support of the ownership or they don't. If they need us to "sweeten the pot" then they clearly don't have the money and are trying to get extra out of us besides our compensatory picks.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:28 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
The Preds don't have the luxury to do that in this situation. They either have the money and support of the ownership or they don't. If they need us to "sweeten the pot" then they clearly don't have the money and are trying to get extra out of us besides our compensatory picks.
Legion is right, them wanting more means they want more value in return.

Which clearly shows they don't have the cash or they really don't want to spend the cash, because if they do the F for the next 6 years and are stuck with the current team.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:29 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

adater ‏@adater
I absolutely believe, based on a few talks, that Nashville will match the Weber offer

(Adrian Dater of Denver Post)

Old
07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

guys I saw the deal broken down year by year, not we can't post in part 2 until we get to 1000 post in here.

but It's not 68 in the first 6 years i added all that up unless its wrong and its 80.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

guys after looking at it, It be very cripling for NSH to match i think.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
guys I saw the deal broken down year by year, not we can't post in part 2 until we get to 1000 post in here.

but It's not 68 in the first 6 years i added all that up unless its wrong and its 80.
The same info in the first post of part 2 is available is the first post of part 1 (this thread).

Old
07-19-2012, 07:35 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

miami after seeing it broken down, year by year and i used the calculator and added those for 6 years up and its 80 mil, does that pretty much say weber is a flyer, if that doesnt i dont know what will.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
miami after seeing it broken down, year by year and i used the calculator and added those for 6 years up and its 80 mil, does that pretty much say weber is a flyer, if that doesnt i dont know what will.
It's safe to say that was the intent with the way the pact is structured. Now it is up to Nashville.

Not having a first round pick for the host Draft would become secondary.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:40 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
It's safe to say that was the intent with the way the pact is structured. Now it is up to Nashville.

Not having a first round pick for the host Draft would become secondary.
well plus thats 2 years from now, they could get a trade by the 2014 deadline and pick up a low 1st rd pick if they wanted or move up.

thats like last on the list. getting weber is 1st.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:40 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Holmgren wishes there was a compensation of 4 2nd rounders. It would make his mission of getting rid of them so much easier.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:41 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

so how did 68 become the number, when i added the bottom line of the 6 years i got 80 did i add something wrong.

Closed Thread