HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Former Avalanche Enforcer Scott Parker on MHH

Old
07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Adama0905

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
As Dater points out in his blog Parker played something like 12 games with Moore and wasn't on the team the season Moore was attacked. That makes him some sort of expert? Posters actually draw conclusions on Moore's presence in the locker room based on Parker's accounts? MHH produces better journalism than the Denver Post? You people live in la la land.
Parker's twelve games with Moore are more insightful than any contact that Dater ever had with him.

Especially considering Dater is the bottom rung in journalism professionals.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
This.

I know that's what people are going to get out of this, but maybe Moore wasn't some amazing guy? Wouldn't surprise me.

I think the only thing to really take out of the Bertuzzi part of the interview is something that I agree with - one really crappy awful thing that somebody did is now something that marks him forever and that thousands of fans hate him for. Which is a sad thing, any way you swing it. You can say he deserves it, and he does to an extent, but it's still sad and I still feel for him.

Otherwise, the interview was gold. Such pure raw emotion that you NEVER see out of a hockey player's mouth. Gives a lot of GREAT insight in to the league. Loved it.
But Bertuzzi did something that most people probably would never be capable of doing. Within the context of the game or not, he still severely hurt another person who is still suffering the consequences of that violent act.

We judge people based on their personal conduct, it's how our society's foundation is formed, and the basis of law and crime and punishment. All it takes is one act, and a person is labeled that forever because that act can never be taken back.

I play hockey myself, and being caught up in the moment or not, there has never been a single moment in my playing career where I've EVER felt the need to attack anyone. Even after being viciously hit at least 3 times in my playing career (once which was a blindside hit that led to a concussion). How someone could feel that need as much as Bertuzzi did that night, I'll never understand.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I tend to agree with you here.

And Parker's attitude about Moore is very brash. I can't believe he'd also resort to ripping on him going to Harvard. If there's one thing I know about most Ivy league grads is that they're very humble people (I'm a current grad student at one, so I have an inside view), if a bit nerdy (which is a given).

Even though Parker is no longer a part of the NHL, his attitude and way he feels about the game is something that doesn't need to be a part of the NHL any more.
Haha...uh...don't mean to be a dick here, but being a grad student at an Ivy League school kinda takes away your ability to say anything about how "humble" Ivy League kids are, not the other way around.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
But Bertuzzi did something that most people probably would never be capable of doing. Within the context of the game or not, he still severely hurt another person who is still suffering the consequences of that violent act.

We judge people based on their personal conduct, it's how our society's foundation is formed, and the basis of law and crime and punishment. All it takes is one act, and a person is labeled that forever because that act can never be taken back.
Yupp, and that sucks even in the real world, even when it's not a naturally violent game that I injured somebody in.

But that's just my point of view. Yeah, he did something awful and I'll tell ya I was watching that game and nearly cried out of being so pissed off at Bertuzzi/sad for Moore. But as I've matured and my view on the world has changed somewhat, I believe that it sucks that we're still here almost a decade after the fact hating Bertuzzi endlessly for it. That's just my view on things. And I can certainly understand how a player that has actually been around Bertuzzi unlike any of us can feel that way too.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Haha...uh...don't mean to be a dick here, but being a grad student at an Ivy League school kinda takes away your ability to say anything about how "humble" Ivy League kids are, not the other way around.
Not a medical, business, or law student (which are rife with egotistical kids).

I'm a nerdy kid that spent his entire life studying science and I'm getting a cancer biology PhD. We're the ones in grad school for 6+ years. The way we get mentored is humbling (we're constantly told we need to work harder or that our work isn't good enough).

Most grad students are more nerdy and geeky than douchey

Old
07-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Not a medical, business, or law student (which are rife with egotistical kids).

I'm a nerdy kid that spent his entire life studying science and I'm getting a cancer biology PhD. We're the ones in grad school for 6+ years. The way we get mentored is humbling (we're constantly told we need to work harder or that our work isn't good enough).

Most grad students are more nerdy and geeky than douchey
Didn't Moore graduate with a law degree?

Just sayin'

Old
07-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Didn't Moore graduate with a law degree?

Just sayin'
Environmental Science by the looks of it: http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice...os/moore_steve

Old
07-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Environmental Science by the looks of it: http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice...os/moore_steve
Interestin' stuff - who knows then.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Lol Dater is such a tool. Basically he just thinks Parker is some meathead that doesn't know how to talk and comes off as an ass. He's just jealous that he could never get an exclusive interview like that or get any players to say anything more real than "it was a good game and I love my teammates."

Some guy on a marginal blog has thoroughly schooled anything that he has ever written.

Say what you will, but the guys we know are classy and amazing in the organization (Sakic, Bourque, Hedgie) are all the guys that Parker says nothing but good things about. It's telling if he's saying something bad about a guy.
Sakic, Bourque and Hejduk wouldn't say anything bad about any player left alone a teammate. Definitely sounds like Parker is jealous of Moore. "Oh you graduated from Havard? Well, **** you, I'll just punch you because you're smarter than me." Parker just sounds like a dumb high school bully who never grew up.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Yupp, and that sucks even in the real world, even when it's not a naturally violent game that I injured somebody in.

But that's just my point of view. Yeah, he did something awful and I'll tell ya I was watching that game and nearly cried out of being so pissed off at Bertuzzi/sad for Moore. But as I've matured and my view on the world has changed somewhat, I believe that it sucks that we're still here almost a decade after the fact hating Bertuzzi endlessly for it. That's just my view on things. And I can certainly understand how a player that has actually been around Bertuzzi unlike any of us can feel that way too.
We're naturally inclined to not trust those who break our trust once, right? I think this is no different--a pact of hockey was broken that night, and we're still somewhat reluctant to trust Bertuzzi again.

It probably is similar with former felons. Once they're released from jail, they still have to write on any job or housing applications they were convicted of a felony--even though they've served their punishment. We're reluctant to forgive egregious mistakes. Now, the question of how egregious is worth forgiving, that's an interesting question to debate.

Forgiveness is a virtue, as we're all taught, right? Yet, we all still struggle with it. But it's something we can all strive for.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:16 AM
donkers*

Signing May was probably the worst decision Avs brass has ever done. Even worse than using our 1st round pick on Parker.

Also, Parker's view of how Bertuzzi "held up" Moore to prevent Moore from crashing violently into the ice should be taken with a grain of salt. Parker was in San Jose at the time so his opinions come from viewing game footage same as all of ours. I have a hard time believing Moore broke his neck despite being "held up" by Bertuzzi.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft Excel View Post
Signing May was probably the worst decision Avs brass has ever done. Even worse than using our 1st round pick on Parker.

Also, Parker's view of how Bertuzzi "held up" Moore to prevent Moore from crashing violently into the ice should be taken with a grain of salt. Parker was in San Jose at the time so his opinions come from viewing game footage same as all of ours. I have a hard time believing Moore broke his neck despite being "held up" by Bertuzzi.
It was the first time I hard time supporting a player on the Avs. It was definitely a "WTF?!" moment when I saw the Avs had signed May.

On a side note, I wasn't thrilled when the Avs signed Smyth and Hannan either... I was never a fan of either of them before they came to Colorado.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:59 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Environmental Science? LOL.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Sakic, Bourque and Hejduk wouldn't say anything bad about any player left alone a teammate. Definitely sounds like Parker is jealous of Moore. "Oh you graduated from Havard? Well, **** you, I'll just punch you because you're smarter than me." Parker just sounds like a dumb high school bully who never grew up.
Universal respect isn't always a great thing.

Parker is comfortable with himself and he's pretty well spoken for a meathead that's probably lost somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty IQ points as a result of getting his **** beat in. And that's all that matters.

Dater comes off the worst in this whole saga in my opinion.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
It's a pretty tough field. I minored in it. Particularly if he did much modeling.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Hey, guys, I found Parker!

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
This.

I know that's what people are going to get out of this, but maybe Moore wasn't some amazing guy? Wouldn't surprise me.

I think the only thing to really take out of the Bertuzzi part of the interview is something that I agree with - one really crappy awful thing that somebody did is now something that marks him forever and that thousands of fans hate him for. Which is a sad thing, any way you swing it. You can say he deserves it, and he does to an extent, but it's still sad and I still feel for him.

Otherwise, the interview was gold. Such pure raw emotion that you NEVER see out of a hockey player's mouth. Gives a lot of GREAT insight in to the league. Loved it.
Quote:
Lol Dater is such a tool. Basically he just thinks Parker is some meathead that doesn't know how to talk and comes off as an ass. He's just jealous that he could never get an exclusive interview like that or get any players to say anything more real than "it was a good game and I love my teammates."

Some guy on a marginal blog has thoroughly schooled anything that he has ever written.

Say what you will, but the guys we know are classy and amazing in the organization (Sakic, Bourque, Hedgie) are all the guys that Parker says nothing but good things about. It's telling if he's saying something bad about a guy.
I'm sorry but the only word about Moore not being anything but a humble kid is from Parker, who just displayed what a meathead he is. Nothing he said in that article would sugest he's a good judge of character. Go ask the local high school bully who he doesn't like, and it's gonna be some smart ass kid who's just trying to mind his own business, but the bully thinks he thinks he's better than everyone.

Nothing about Parker screams, hey I have the same views on people, and everything else that you do. He's off on his own planet, and is the only one outside of Vancouver speaking negatively about Moore. Why would you think there's any merit to what he says?

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:51 PM
SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

I wonder how much the idea that the game was shifting away from pure enforcers like Parker, and more towards the 3rd/4th line guys that could actually play like Moore. Maybe he thinks some fancy pants college grad took his job.

Am I the only one who can only think this?

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Mouse21*

really dont care about Moore.

Parker is a great guy. right up there with the other Avs greats IMO.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Parker would love Moore if he had played in the WHL.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
Quote:
Damn hippy.

And I have to disagree with the people who're supporting Parker here. He does sound faintly jealous to me when he's talking about Harvard and he's completely wrong to defend Bertuzzi in that situation.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:46 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
really dont care about Moore.

Parker is a great guy. right up there with the other Avs greats IMO.
You forgot the at the end of your post.

I hope.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Parker's twelve games with Moore are more insightful than any contact that Dater ever had with him.

Especially considering Dater is the bottom rung in journalism professionals.
Dater spent more time around Moore than Parker ever did.

No, the lowest rung of journalism would be a blog run by a bunch of fans. MHH isn't any better in quality than this place.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Probably a climate change denier.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Dater spent more time around Moore than Parker ever did.

No, the lowest rung of journalism would be a blog run by a bunch of fans. MHH isn't any better in quality than this place.
I'm glad dater gave it to Parker. One of my favorite things he's done of late.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote