HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
07-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I think the NHL is going to make a stand on the "Goon Issue" staged fighting and players like McGratten and half the Toronto Maple Leafs team are going to find employment elsewhere.Concussions are destroying players careers like no time in the past,Brian Burke said as much last year when he had to send one of his tough guys to the AHL.
Huh? Concussions due to fights are maybe 2, 3% of how players get concussions in the 1st place. There's way bigger issues related to the subject than fights.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:47 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Huh? Concussions due to fights are maybe 2, 3% of how players get concussions in the 1st place. There's way bigger issues related to the subject than fights.
I'm referring to Brian Burke's tirade when he sent Colton Orr down to the Marlies.There had to be a reason for it,Burke used to be the guy suspending players.It wouldn't surprise me that he's privy to the direction the refereeing is going.Not to stop fighting,that's never going to happen.Like you say there are bigger issues,staged fighting is something the Head Office doesn't want IMO.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:18 PM
zzoo

Worst UFA signings:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-signings.html

I basically agree with that list.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Worst UFA signings:

Yea, because we totally signed Prust for his points...

Yes, goals win you games. And yes, points are an interesting stat. But they don't tell the entire story on a players performance and what his roles are...

We brought Prust for a much needed toughness and grit. He'll be on the third line. If he can chip in points, that's nice, but it's just icing on the cake.

With him Prust, we can now have our first two lines focus more on scoring. Unlike last year, when Pleks was given a very defensive role.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Worst UFA signings:

This 'list' shouldn't be be called "Worst free agent signings"...

It should be called "worst cost-efficient signings"...

Overpaying a player (which btw, is a totally subjective opinion), does not necessarily make it a 'bad' signing.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Probably one of the most useless articles I've seen...

I don't like Jokinen but $4.5 mill for a guy who had 60 points isn't a bad signing. Prust and Gaustad both are a bit overpaid but they are the type of guys every team wants, especially around the trade deadline. And then he's complaining about guys who are signed for $1.5 million and under, the salary cap is $70 million its not like Carkner/Gustavsson are making $3 million a year or something.. what are they overpaid like $200-300k?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Miller Time

i think the problem with that article is the title more than anything else.

in all of the examples, he focused solely on the "value" of the contract as compared to the players recent production, nowhere does he really focus on the teams needs and wether or not the player will likely meet them.

I agree that Prust's contract is "bad", form the point of view of a rugged 3/4th liner with limited offensive upside... but from Montreal's pov, what Prust should bring to the team is worth the 2.5M$/4 years they gave him, even as a cap spending team.

in that regard, it isn't a "bad" signing, even if it's a "bad" contract.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
What do you attribute Boogard's concussions to, crashing into goalposts? Blocking slapshots with his head?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
What do you attribute Boogard's concussions to, crashing into goalposts? Blocking slapshots with his head?
Oh the dry humor....always a subtle way of being rude.

He did say 2-3%, there you go, he was in the 2-3%.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Yeah, I'm not even gonna answer that...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:38 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not even gonna answer that...
Ooops sorry i did

Old
07-18-2012, 05:42 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Worst UFA signings:

I'm sure Prust is more useful on the ice than 2.5m free cap space.

The cap is so high these days, you can't spend it all without overpaying so whats the point in being overly conservative with a rich team like the Habs? We got the player we wanted without giving any assets and 2.5m is negligible. In cap proportion its equivalent to the contract Gainey had Dandenault sign back in the days.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:45 PM
strutsboa

I think that if we only see what Prust personally brings on the ice, he is overpaid with around 700k. However, I (like many other already has stated) think he brings plenty of things that doesn't show on the stats. With Montreal being a "soft team" I think that Prust could lead by example and help creating the enviroment that Bergevin wants. If Prust could make every other player work 1% harder, that's worth a lot (1% out of $70M salary cap = 700k).

He could also take some shorthanded minutes away from Plekanec and/or Gionta to make their production increase.

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:58 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Probably one of the most useless articles I've seen...

I don't like Jokinen but $4.5 mill for a guy who had 60 points isn't a bad signing. Prust and Gaustad both are a bit overpaid but they are the type of guys every team wants, especially around the trade deadline. And then he's complaining about guys who are signed for $1.5 million and under, the salary cap is $70 million its not like Carkner/Gustavsson are making $3 million a year or something.. what are they overpaid like $200-300k?
I am hit/miss on Proteau but I often find him OK to read. That said, these types of articles are as predictable as the tide, right up there with the annual 'all-star snub' articles we get ever year. He can't just write 'you know, even with all of the money floating around out there, there weren't many really egregious UFA contracts out there.' The drooling masses don't want that, they want to know that their GM/rival GM is a moron who handcuffed his team indefinitely.

I supect Proteau gets told by his bosses 'well FA season is almost over, let's have a worst-of article'. But he's really reaching calling out the goon contracts (2 yr at <$1M per year and the Gus deal you cited).

But he really goes off the deep end with Carkner. 3 years at 1.5M per = Apocalypse Now? Um, no, no it's not.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:34 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Worst UFA signings:

Adam Proteau.

He is a bigger pacifist than Pierre Gauthier. And I am sure that he probably posts here.

A little bit about Proteau........

One of the more important hockey books of 2011 has to be Adam Proteau's anti-violence campaign in Fighting The Good Fight: Why On Ice Violence Is Killing The Good Fight.

Proteau the pacifist's list included mainly tough players with Jokinen, Kuba and Gustavsson thrown in to give his "list" a feel of credibility.

**** you Adam Proteau. He basically wants hockey to be a non-contact sport.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Oh noes u are in disagreement with one of his opinions, time to hate him and disregard all other opinions. Sick logic

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Adam Proteau.

He is a bigger pacifist than Pierre Gauthier. And I am sure that he probably posts here.

A little bit about Proteau........

One of the more important hockey books of 2011 has to be Adam Proteau's anti-violence campaign in Fighting The Good Fight: Why On Ice Violence Is Killing The Good Fight.

Proteau the pacifist's list included mainly tough players with Jokinen, Kuba and Gustavsson thrown in to give his "list" a feel of credibility.

**** you Adam Proteau. He basically wants hockey to be a non-contact sport.
right, because Rugby is a non-contact sport given the fact they don't allow fist fighting...

ditto Olympic (or any international) hockey, clearly a soft, boring event. I mean jeez, did you catch the world juniors this year, what a complete bore, Canadians obviously wouldn't support any kind of hockey that didn't involve two meat heads pummelling each other

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:05 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
right, because Rugby is a non-contact sport given the fact they don't allow fist fighting...

ditto Olympic (or any international) hockey, clearly a soft, boring event. I mean jeez, did you catch the world juniors this year, what a complete bore, Canadians obviously wouldn't support any kind of hockey that didn't involve two meat heads pummelling each other

Joe Pelletier--- One of the trends I hate most in hockey right now is when a player is attacked for throwing a clean hit. In such a case the said player usually has to fight to defend himself. Should he be punished with game expulsion, too? How do you handle that?

Adam Proteau---That's a good question. I think the instigator rule needs far more teeth than it has at present. If a player truly isn't interested in fighting, he should be skating the other way. But if he gets his hand up to protect himself when he's blindsided, I wouldn't suspend him at all. Certainly some grey area there.

But back to your first point that constant scrumming and fighting is a big drag for me, too. I think there almost needs to be a time clock for the next faceoff, or a harder line on facewashing after clean hits. It's ridiculous.

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com...roteau-of.html

Adam Proteau wants a "harder line on facewashing after clean hits".

The man is completely against hockey physicality as it has been played for decades and decades.

Rugby has not allowed fighting. Good. Never has been part of the game so it is understood that fighting will be punished as with basketball, baseball, football, tennis and golf.

However, fighting has always been a part of hockey. Pacifists like Proteau and his supporters are trying to undo what does not need to be undone. And his "list" of "Worst UFA Signings" is nothing more than Propaganda to support his pacifist beliefs.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Worst UFA signings:

How is Jokinen a bad signing? As soon as I saw that, I stopped reading.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Worst UFA signings:

I like how a player making 1.5M a year is their second worst signing. Dumb.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Joe Pelletier--- One of the trends I hate most in hockey right now is when a player is attacked for throwing a clean hit. In such a case the said player usually has to fight to defend himself. Should he be punished with game expulsion, too? How do you handle that?

Adam Proteau---That's a good question. I think the instigator rule needs far more teeth than it has at present. If a player truly isn't interested in fighting, he should be skating the other way. But if he gets his hand up to protect himself when he's blindsided, I wouldn't suspend him at all. Certainly some grey area there.

But back to your first point that constant scrumming and fighting is a big drag for me, too. I think there almost needs to be a time clock for the next faceoff, or a harder line on facewashing after clean hits. It's ridiculous.

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com...roteau-of.html

Adam Proteau wants a "harder line on facewashing after clean hits".

The man is completely against hockey physicality as it has been played for decades and decades.

Rugby has not allowed fighting. Good. Never has been part of the game so it is understood that fighting will be punished as with basketball, baseball, football, tennis and golf.

However, fighting has always been a part of hockey. Pacifists like Proteau and his supporters are trying to undo what does not need to be undone. And his "list" of "Worst UFA Signings" is nothing more than Propaganda to support his pacifist beliefs.

Totally agree. Anyone that wants fighting out of the game doesn't want to watch Hockey.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Top Corner2

2.5 is a lot for Prust....but at least we will be getting the kind of player we need & one that is very good at what he does.

You don't want to pay a guy 2.5 to hit, hustle & fight....but we had no alternative....and Prust can hit, hustle and fight with the best in the NHL...

so overall I'm happy.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:38 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
Totally agree. Anyone that wants fighting out of the game doesn't want to watch Hockey.
They are into to some serious figure skating !

Old
07-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Worst UFA signings:

I wish I got paid to be an idiot.