HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers sign Shea Weber to 14-year offer sheet ($7.857M Cap Hit) (Pt V)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
To people saying Nashville should match it just to trade him a year later. Even though it's Shea Weber and he's one of the best defensemen in the league, how many teams will take his $7.8M cap hit until he's 41 years old in addition to paying a huge price in a trade.

I think Nashville should match it, only if they want him to stay long term and Poile convinces him that there will not be a rebuilding process.

If he doesn't want to keep Weber long term and/or Shea Weber doesn't want to be there, don't match the offer sheet and take the 4 1st round picks. Nashville has proven they can draft quality defensemen and they have young defensemen ready for the NHL.
Any team that can afford it will take it. That's not the problem. The problem is why the hell would they lose 26 million just to trade Weber. Its financially stupid and the owners would absolutely hate that if they are spending the money. He's either a flyer or a pred for life.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

can someone explain to me the ramifications to Nashville if they don't match? obviously they lose Webber, but they'd get 4 1st round picks....is that it or is there more to it?

Old
07-19-2012, 08:03 PM
CTU2fan

For the people suggesting that Nashville work out a trade with the Flyers to try and do better than the 4 1sts...what would be fair? Obviously B.Schenn+Couts+ was more than the Flyers would pay, but somewhere between 4 1sts and Couts+Schenn there's maybe a middle ground that satisfies everybody. What is it?

Old
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Exactly. If this is matched, then the Preds are keeping Weber for the long haul.

And I am fairly confident that they will end up matching.
And even if they don't match, they can trade 1-2 1st rounders right now to add a player or 2. Or go after a UFA right now...they have plenty of cap space!!

Old
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

So Philadelphia just broke the NHL?

Old
07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
KISSland

Quote:
To people saying Nashville should match it just to trade him a year later. Even though it's Shea Weber and he's one of the best defensemen in the league, how many teams will take his $7.8M cap hit until he's 41 years old in addition to paying a huge price in a trade.

I think Nashville should match it, only if they want him to stay long term and Poile convinces him that there will not be a rebuilding process.

If he doesn't want to keep Weber long term and/or Shea Weber doesn't want to be there, don't match the offer sheet and take the 4 1st round picks. Nashville has proven they can draft quality defensemen and they have young defensemen ready for the NHL.
Every team that can afford it... NY, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Toronto, etc

Old
07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Erik Estrada

Does the Nashville ownership group have deep pockets to sustain 26 M up front in a season they might not have revenues? Do the larger stakeholders have major liquidities? It's not going to be one of the minority shareholders with 5% of shares that's going to dole out that 26 M...

Old
07-19-2012, 08:08 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland2Lomakin View Post
Not necessarily.

http://deadspin.com/5927347/shea-web...ng-masterpiece

Old
07-19-2012, 08:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
I don't think Weber wants to stay in Nashville. I just hope Poile can turn those picks into players at this point.
Whether or not Weber wants to stay, either Poile gets the players he wants or he matches.

I think people forget a couple of things here:

1. Nashville budgeted to keep Weber and Suter. You've got to think that number was north of 15M for two players. In terms of the budget, giving Weber 14M and a young talent on an ELC 1M equals the 15M (or so) they budgeted for Weber and Suter.

2. Where Nashville runs into a problem is in terms of the timing of the money. You're talking lump sum payments rather than payroll payments mitigated by incoming revenue. Really, then, what this deal does is present a cash flow problem for Nashville. They're going to be paying interest (I'm assuming they've got some kind of open, secured credit line that they draw against), and it could add up to 2M over two years.

3. I say 2 years because, if Nashville matches, then they are keeping Weber for 2 years. My understanding is that the year two bonus is due on the earliest payable date, which would be July 1, 2013. The earliest the Preds could trade Weber would be the end of July 2013. So, if you did that, you'll have paid 27M for one year of Weber. If you keep him for two years and then trade him between the end of the 2013-2014 season and July 1, 2014, then they'll be paying 28M for two years of Weber.

I think that's precisely what Nashville does. Unless they get the players they want, they'll match and hold their noses and then be open to moving him as early as the end of the 2013-2014 season.

And, think about this: If Nashville matches and moves him at the end of the 2013-2014 season, Weber will be 28. He'll be on a deal that takes him until 40 with an average cap hit under 8M. Better still, for the teams that struggle to get to the floor, he'll be due an average annual salary of about 6.7M. And, Poile will be able to trade him anywhere he wants.

You think about that, and it's pretty clear that Nashville matches, bites the bullet for two years, and then Poile offers him as early as the end of the 2013-2014 season to what would be 29 suitors.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:09 PM
wilty00

First time chiming in on this one.

Bit of a ***** move from the Flyers. Predatory is sadly most likely the best word to describe it. That said, rules are rules and they aren't breaking any. It's going to be an interesting couple of days in Tennessee for sure.

The only thing that really bothers me about the situation is that the ones who are going to get hurt the most out of it are Preds fans and they do not deserve it. Nashville is a model organization for the league and they do things the right way, I think their fans understand and appreciate that and were really starting to blossom as a fanbase. I'd hate to see a situation like this ruin that.

If Shea didn't want to be there in the first place then I hope Poile is spared the wrath if he doesn't match. The guy does a ****ing amazing job year in year out, and his hands are tied.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:09 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Every team that can afford it... NY, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Toronto, etc
One other thing. When Weber is 35 and due like 8M for his last five years of service, how many cash strapped teams that struggle to get to the cap floor will LOVE that contract.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
JGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
For the people suggesting that Nashville work out a trade with the Flyers to try and do better than the 4 1sts...what would be fair? Obviously B.Schenn+Couts+ was more than the Flyers would pay, but somewhere between 4 1sts and Couts+Schenn there's maybe a middle ground that satisfies everybody. What is it?
It depends on how much leverage the Preds have, which depends on whether they can swallow the $27 million if they have to.

I suspect they could probably get Mez, Voracek, Gustafsson and 2 of the firsts, but if they want any of Schenn/Couts/Coburn they would have to really convincingly demonstrate that they are in fact willing to match the offer sheet. Even then I'm not sure Homer wouldn't rather stand pat.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Also, can someone explain to me why the Preds would bother matching a lifetime contract that pays Weber 26 million in the first year just to trade him as soon as they are able?

If Poile goes to ownership with that in mind, ownership is probably going to opt for the 4 first round picks and keep the 26 million.
exactly. i mentioned this in another thread. what matters most is what Weber wants. if we are led to believe that he indeed wants out of Nashville, then the Preds really have no choice but to take the 4 1sts from Philly or work out a deal.

look at it this way, say the Preds match, they are gonna be screwed financially for many years. 27M alone just for Weber next year. that's ridiculous for a small market team to pay. what else are the Preds gonna be able to do? they'll have Weber, Rinne and a bunch of scrubs.

the West is a tough conference and we've already seen the Wild get much better. they've already lost Suter plus some of their offense. i don't think it's a stretch to suggest the Preds might not make the playoffs next year. i mean, if they couldn't win with Suter, why would anyone expect them to win without him? they got bounced by Phoenix in 5 games in only the 2nd round, and that was with Suter. if you're Weber, why remain with a team that might not have a shot at winning for the next decade?

Nashville might be better off doing a complete rebuild. having 2 first rounders for the next 4 years is not a bad thing. i'm sure they'd be able to rebuild fairly quickly. they'd probably be a deeper, more well-rounded team if they let Weber go than if they kept him.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:11 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
First time chiming in on this one.

Bit of a ***** move from the Flyers. Predatory is sadly most likely the best word to describe it. That said, rules are rules and they aren't breaking any. It's going to be an interesting couple of days in Tennessee for sure.

The only thing that really bothers me about the situation is that the ones who are going to get hurt the most out of it are Preds fans and they do not deserve it. Nashville is a model organization for the league and they do things the right way, I think their fans understand and appreciate that and were really starting to blossom as a fanbase. I'd hate to see a situation like this ruin that.

If Shea didn't want to be there in the first place then I hope Poile is spared the wrath if he doesn't match. The guy does a ****ing amazing job year in year out, and his hands are tied.
Actually, the ironic thing would be to match and then trade Weber to at the end of the 2013-2014 season for a king's bounty to a team he never would have dreamed of signing with. It would be two years of a little extra financial pain for the deal that would retool and reinvigorate Nashville for a decade.

Old
Mondello
One, and out....

It will be interesting to think what impact this might have in the current CBA negotiations. Clearly, small market teams will have as much to negotiate with predatory large market teams in mind as much as the NHLPA--if not more. I really feel for Preds fans.

Old
ScottyBowman

The Preds should just bail and let him go. He's not worth it. You get 4 first rd picks and the Nashville GM always does wonders with the draft and you will be ok. Let Philly load up on overrated players with ridiculous contracts.

Old
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Hopefully the Preds match this offer or they lose a lot of fans.
They won't lose this fan. Just because Weber is too much of a ***** to handle a rebuild, doesn't mean I am too.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:12 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:

OILERS OILERS OILERS.

anything nashville wants.
dirt cheap cap hit. will retire at 35 wealthy . an under 35 signing. cap hit disappears when retires.

Oilers have no chance though. Nashville will get the moon. signed and sealed with no rights. best dman in the league
no shortage of suitors.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Three Peat YOLO

Again I ask, why would a team with monetary constraints (or so people claim) pay a player 26+ million just for the right to trade him?

Once you get past the insane first year, the contract is more than fair for a player of Weber's caliber.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:13 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
If Nashville can pay the contract, they will.

If Nashville can't pay the contract, there's no reason to go beyond the equivalent of the 4 1sts to make it happen. If you want to substitute the roster player equivalent of some or all of those picks, so be it.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:14 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
I suspect they could probably get Mez, Voracek, Gustafsson and 2 of the firsts, but if they want any of Schenn/Couts/Coburn they would have to really convincingly demonstrate that they are in fact willing to match the offer sheet. Even then I'm not sure Homer wouldn't rather stand pat.
From Dreger, the Flyers and Preds were talking trade all day Wednesday with Nashville reportedly asking for Schenn and/or Couturier. If they were going to be traded for Weber, it would've happened before the offer sheet was offered. They certainly won't be traded after.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:14 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
OILERS OILERS OILERS.

anything nashville wants.
dirt cheap cap hit. will retire at 35 wealthy . an under 35 signing. cap hit disappears when retires.

Oilers have no chance though. Nashville will get the moon. signed and sealed with no rights. best dman in the league
no shortage of suitors.
And all Nashville has to do is match and pay 14M over 23 months.

They do that, and the offers Poile will receive will blow people's minds. The stuff Howson is asking for Nash . . . teams will readily give that up for Weber.

And, by the way, why wouldn't the Oilers have a chance to get Weber the day Poile decides to move him? It will be 29 suitors, and the best offer will win . . . I can assure you that Poile won't give two ***** about whether Weber likes the trade destination.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

can someone explain the 26 or 27 million for 1 year thing??

Old
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland2Lomakin View Post
Along with New Jersey, yes.

Old
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And all Nashville has to do is match and pay 14M over 23 months.

They do that, and the offers Poile will receive will blow people's minds. The stuff Howson is asking for Nash . . . teams will readily give that up for Weber.

And, by the way, why wouldn't the Oilers have a chance to get Weber the day Poile decides to move him? It will be 29 suitors, and the best offer will win . . . I can assure you that Poile won't give two ***** about whether Weber likes the trade destination.
He has to be paid 27 million in 12 months time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
can someone explain the 26 or 27 million for 1 year thing??
13 million signing bonus due when this contract goes into effect, 1 million salary for this season and 13 million bonus on July 1st next year which is due before he can be traded.

Closed Thread